HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Lats finally develops in a Leclair type of power forward

Closed Thread

Old
07-14-2008, 09:42 AM
HabsDood

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haddock View Post
A Higgins-Lapierre-Latendresse would be great. As long as Carbo makes sure that Higgins is aware that he's allowed to play an offensive game on a third line.
Maybe not Higs but Lats and Laps do well together.. SK might be the missing link..

Old
07-14-2008, 09:43 AM
mcphee

Quote:
A young player like Latendresse is a terrific asset on any team, no matter what language he speaks. The fact that he gets overrated because he's a local guy creates an opposute reaction that is just as bad. The middle ground is great for you calves guys, try it sometimes! He'll get slightly faster along the way, get better at his physical game and will probably become a thirty goals scorer. With him and Max Pac, we'll be scary.
You're right, you get the hype, then the back lash to the hype then the defense of the backlash then the cries of linguistic biase then the defense of same then you forget what it is you were arguing about.

I like the kid, seems to be a pleasant young guy, well spoken, mature for his years and I hope for the best for more than just the sweater he wears.

He's a young guy and sometimes they play like wind up toys. They have a good game, maybe a few good games then they figure they've turned the corner and take their foot off the gas.

Old
07-14-2008, 09:45 AM
HabsDood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
"Lats finally develops in a Leclair type of power forward"

AKA "the bi-monthly Latendresse assesment thread".

I'm really bored with this subject. Let him show what he can do and then the Habs will deal with it. Do we really need to argue every two weeks on the fate and fortunes of Lats?
Seemingly some of us do

You might just pass next time.. But that's just my opinion, since there are alot of discutions going on here..

No hard feelings, I just find it hard to get a thread going, I am a member here after all..

Old
07-14-2008, 09:48 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsDood View Post
Seemingly some of us do

You might just pass next time.. But that's just my opinion, since there are alot of discutions going on here..

No hard feelings, I just find it hard to get a thread going, I am a member here after all..
Oh, don't worry, I'm only saying this because this type of thread comes up every two weeks, and we'll get the usual arguments and usual bashing, just tired of seeing the subject pop-up. This is the one subject that ALWAYS reappears in no time.

Anyway, I'm just, meh, talking about it.

Old
07-14-2008, 09:51 AM
HabsDood

Quote:
Oh, don't worry, I'm only saying this because this type of thread comes up every two weeks, and we'll get the usual arguments and usual bashing, just tired of seeing the subject pop-up. This is the one subject that ALWAYS reappears in no time.

Anyway, I'm just, meh, talking about it.
I see a desperate closet Lats lover here, right? Am I right?

lol

I did meet Lats a couple of week ago, he is simple like the moon! A great mature kid, I hope he does tha things next season, it would be an amazing buzz, along with that super Sundin line everybody's talking about

Old
07-14-2008, 09:52 AM
MathMan

Quote:
A Higgins-Lapierre-Latendresse would be great. As long as Carbo makes sure that Higgins is aware that he's allowed to play an offensive game on a third line.
Lapierre is not able to play center on an offensive line, and for all the talk of his chemistry with Lats, they don't mesh well. Lapierre is a speedy dump-and-chase player and Lats works best with a possession center. That's why he looked good with Chipchura, who tends to hang onto the puck more than Lappy does -- seems that when Lappy has the puck all he wants to do is give it back to the opponent ASAP, while Latendresse needs some time to drive the net and needs the puck to cycle/protect it.

Higgins, OTOH, may be a good center for Lats... and Lapierre could conceivably make a good RW for a line.

Old
07-14-2008, 09:54 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
Lapierre is not able to play center on an offensive line, and for all the talk of his chemistry with Lats, they don't mesh well. Lapierre is a speedy dump-and-chase player and Lats works best with a possession center. That's why he looked good with Chipchura, who tends to hang onto the puck more than Lappy does -- seems that when Lappy has the puck all he wants to do is give it back to the opponent ASAP, while Latendresse needs some time to drive the net and needs the puck to cycle/protect it.

Higgins, OTOH, may be a good center for Lats... and Lapierre could conceivably make a good RW for a line.

Agreed, I think Koivu would be a great fit for him.

Old
07-14-2008, 10:00 AM
Habs

Trade him to Philly with Markov, just like the old days.

Old
07-14-2008, 10:00 AM
BadKiwi

Quote:

On a goal last year, Latendresse and Lapierre kinda confirmed your point. I think it was a game winning goal where Lats "rushed" past the defense and Laps, who was behind, sent a nice little pass to Latendresse who buried the puck. Anyways, after the game Latendresse said he was surprised to get the puck and that he was trying to get to the corner because Lapierre always shoots it there. Lapierre answered by saying something like well I was surprised to see Latendresse in front of me. Both were joking around but the point is, both of them usually don't have a playing style that matches well. Letendresse needs someone to slow the play down, Lapierre someone good at chasing the puck.

Old
07-14-2008, 10:02 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
I see a desperate closet Lats lover here, right? Am I right?

lol

I did meet Lats a couple of week ago, he is simple like the moon! A great mature kid, I hope he does tha things next season, it would be an amazing buzz, along with that super Sundin line everybody's talking about
Well, I'm mostly a fan of all the players on the team, and Lats is not in my top5, yet I do like him, I'm mostly tired of both the bashing and the overating, we should just let the kid grow and see what he can do, but a lot of people here have extremist views about him and this creates huge arguments where the same old points are brought up.... maybe I should take another 2 months haitus... it just seems oh-so déjà vu.

Old
07-14-2008, 10:21 AM
Templeton

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post

I like the kid, seems to be a pleasant young guy, well spoken, mature for his years and I hope for the best for more than just the sweater he wears.
Hahaha, those are so ugly. I saw him in his car and I thought "what the hell is those pastel blue wears?" I'm sure he was listening Linda Lemay.

But I like this player ...

Old
07-14-2008, 10:35 AM
hogtownhabsfan*

I'm an anglophone who doesn't speak much more than a word of french. Still Latendresse is one of my favorite players. When my dad offered to buy me a Habs jersey for Christmas I asked for Guillaumes.

I really don't understand the hate he gets on here. Sure he's not a great skater, but he has great ability in every other aspect of the game. Size, strength, vision, hands, and shot. Plus his fistpumps after he scores are a thing of beauty!

I'm hoping he plays on a line as a RW with Higgins and Chipchura next season. If we get Sundin, I'd like Higgins to play with Sundin and Kovalev, the Kostitsyns to play with Plekanec, and Latendresse play with Koivu and Tanguay. I think no matter what Lats is a top nine forward this year, will get good ice time and be playing with some talent, all for the first time. I expect him to be around 25g 25a for the season.

Old
07-14-2008, 10:37 AM
Haddock

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadKiwi View Post
On a goal last year, Latendresse and Lapierre kinda confirmed your point. I think it was a game winning goal where Lats "rushed" past the defense and Laps, who was behind, sent a nice little pass to Latendresse who buried the puck. Anyways, after the game Latendresse said he was surprised to get the puck and that he was trying to get to the corner because Lapierre always shoots it there. Lapierre answered by saying something like well I was surprised to see Latendresse in front of me. Both were joking around but the point is, both of them usually don't have a playing style that matches well. Letendresse needs someone to slow the play down, Lapierre someone good at chasing the puck.
I remember that goal. Higgins, or in a Mats Sundin world, Koivu, would be better choices to center a line with Latendresse on the wing. I'm not totally sold about Chips offensive abilities either.

Old
07-14-2008, 10:43 AM
hogtownhabsfan*

Quote:
I remember that goal. Higgins, or in a Mats Sundin world, Koivu, would be better choices to center a line with Latendresse on the wing. I'm not totally sold about Chips offensive abilities either.
I don't think Chipchura will ever be an awesome offensive player, but for a guy who is a defensive minded 3rd line centerman, he has some offensive skills. He and Lats worked pretty well together when they were paired up.

Old
07-14-2008, 10:46 AM
Fido22

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
I happily live in the grey area where I think truth actually lives as a not quite absolute.
Do old men get wiser or do the simply develop less effective eyesight?

Quote:
And I don't live un my parent's house, i'm a 40 yo father of 2 and maried, that has a normal life with a big house and 3 cars, just like most of you fellows.. I'm just a fan and i'm on vacation, so I come here because I love my Habs..
Most of us aren't 40 year old geezers.

Some of us are strapping young bucks.

Some of us are dogs.

Old
07-14-2008, 11:25 AM
hogtownhabsfan*

Quote:
Well, I'm mostly a fan of all the players on the team, and Lats is not in my top5, yet I do like him, I'm mostly tired of both the bashing and the overating, we should just let the kid grow and see what he can do, but a lot of people here have extremist views about him and this creates huge arguments where the same old points are brought up.... maybe I should take another 2 months haitus... it just seems oh-so déjà vu.
Great post. Straight, to the point, and very true...

Old
07-14-2008, 12:36 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Why does talking about Latendresse bring out the stupidity of some posters?

Every time there is a thread about Lats the same themes come up...

-he is not the Quebec star everybody thinks he is

Hmmm...well considering that nobody ever dubbed him a star(except maybe a few clueless Montreal journalists), this is out in left field

-when will he develop as a scorer

well he scored 16 goals last year playing with nobody to set him up and very little ice time, I'd say that's pretty impressive for a 20 year old. I think he only needs a good centerman to score 30-35 yearly

-his skating is awful

First of all he is a power forward who does his best work down low and in front of the net(imagine how many he'd score with aplaymaking center), he doesn't have to be that fast because he is very strong on skates and on the puck(just look at Leclair Shanahan and co). He's plenty fast enough to play in the NHL, especially with his dtyle.

Second, we have a ton of fast/agile guys, a guy that's big and powerful and will go into the slot to score was something we lacked last year.
So where was this power forward Latendresse you were talking about? Can you explain why Carbonneau overlooked such a valuable asset?

Old
07-14-2008, 12:45 PM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Whatthephoque
I second that....

Old
07-14-2008, 01:03 PM
Le Slow Poke*

Dear Mr. Lattentresse,

* I will change my HFB user name to 'Gui's Love Muffin" if you score 30 Goals next year.

Last edited by Beakermania*: 07-14-2008 at 01:56 PM.
Old
07-14-2008, 01:13 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

I think he means LeClair late in his career and by that, I mean he's still nothing like LeClair

Old
07-14-2008, 01:16 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

He's learning kick boxing and power skating this summer. I heard that next stop will be meeting Tony Stark.

Old
07-14-2008, 01:18 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
So where was this power forward Latendresse you were talking about? Can you explain why Carbonneau overlooked such a valuable asset?
He was stuck on the 3rd and 4th lines with non skill guys all year. There are a lot of things about Carbonneau I can't explain.

Old
07-14-2008, 01:20 PM
Puckhead58*

Quote:
Lats finally develops in a Leclair type of power forward..

Where do you play him? He did hit alot of goal posts last season...

Your usual line-up is screwed ain't it... He will deliver.

When did this happen??? It certainly wasn't last season when he was a healthy scratch a number of times through-out the year.

IF he does turn into a power forward like Leclair was....which I doubt will ever happen, then we will give him the ice time he deserves on a good line.....but the only time he has shown that he was capable of being a power forward was in the training camp of his first season with the Habs. He hit everything in sight in the exhibition games he played and scored a few goals too, but once he made the team....he stopped hitting and tried to be a fancy, skilled player and he just isn't good enough to play that way!!!!

To be honest.....considering all the hype about Latendresse....he hasn't impressed me at all. I would be more impressed if he threw more body checks and played a physical game like he did to get on the team.

Old
07-14-2008, 01:39 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckhead58 View Post
When did this happen??? It certainly wasn't last season when he was a healthy scratch a number of times through-out the year.

IF he does turn into a power forward like Leclair was....which I doubt will ever happen, then we will give him the ice time he deserves on a good line.....but the only time he has shown that he was capable of being a power forward was in the training camp of his first season with the Habs. He hit everything in sight in the exhibition games he played and scored a few goals too, but once he made the team....he stopped hitting and tried to be a fancy, skilled player and he just isn't good enough to play that way!!!!

To be honest.....considering all the hype about Latendresse....he hasn't impressed me at all. I would be more impressed if he threw more body checks and played a physical game like he did to get on the team.
When did he stop hitting?

He's one of the most physical players up front with Kostopoulos A.Kostystyn and Begin. He could probably throw a lot more hits if he had more ice time.

Some of you are whining to get Shanhan, well I bet you Lats has a lot more hits per ice time than Shanny.

Old
07-14-2008, 01:39 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
He's learning kick boxing and power skating this summer. I heard that next stop will be meeting Tony Stark.
Wouldn't he be better off with Chuck Norris?

Latendresse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
He was stuck on the 3rd and 4th lines with non skill guys all year. There are a lot of things about Carbonneau I can't explain.
And it's safe to say there are a lot of things Carbo knows that you don't.

Closed Thread