HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: Nolan out as Isles coach

Old
07-14-2008, 02:05 PM
RothmanHockey

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to RothmanHockey
First of all, Nolan is a very respectable coach. Second of all, they did this now?? Man... that team is run worse than the Mets, and that's saying something.

RothmanHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 02:11 PM
darrenturcotte#8

Nolan> J Torts> Renney

I'd kill to have Nolan as our coach. I guess winning isn't that important when it comes to deciding to hire/fire coaches. Nolan does so much with nothing on his roster and can take an above avg team (like us) to the finals... FIRE RENNEY!!!

darrenturcotte#8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 02:12 PM
Blazephr

Personally, I'd take Nolan over Renney any day.

Nolan was out of the NHL because of accusations that were made about him sleeping with Hasek's wife. Not sure how true this is.

Nolan took the stance that he was blackballed from the NHL after his Sabres stint because of racism.

Also didn't help matters when Hasek blurted out during a radio interview that he did not respect his coach. This could have something to do with the wifey.

There were also rumors that he showed up to practices drunk.

Blazephr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 02:16 PM
Kostik

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrenturcotte#8 View Post
Nolan> J Torts> Renney

I'd kill to have Nolan as our coach. I guess winning isn't that important when it comes to deciding to hire/fire coaches. Nolan does so much with nothing on his roster and can take an above avg team (like us) to the finals... FIRE RENNEY!!!
Huh...Nolan is easily worst of these three...Renney looks like Scotty Bowman next to him...

Kostik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 02:23 PM
Cake or Death

Wow, this is really sad. With all the injuries they had last season, the team did way better than anyone could have asked and I thought Nolan did a fantastic job. I've been a Ranger fan since the 70s, but I've never had that animosity toward the Islanders or their fans. In fact, I went to a lot of Islanders' games in the 80s to watch the likes of Bossy, Trottier, Potvin, Lafontaine, etc. Great teams. There was such a sense of pride and tradition was being built before your eyes back then. To see what the organization has gone through since then is just upsetting. Half my family lives on the Island and Queens and are Islander fans. Sorry guys.

Cake or Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 02:24 PM
Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrenturcotte#8 View Post
Nolan> J Torts> Renney

Completely agree. I think Nolan is a tremendous coach and way ahead of Renney. He might not fit this Ranger team, but if I was a GM or owner starting a team, Nolan would prob be the first guy I'd try and get to coach the team. Yet another mind-boggling move by the Isles.

Choice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 02:25 PM
darrenturcotte#8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kostik View Post
Huh...Nolan is easily worst of these three...Renney looks like Scotty Bowman next to him...
Ted Nolan and Scotty Bowman would both have a far better PP's then Renney has with this talent. Its amazing how low the standards get after 7 yrs of no playoffs...

Old
07-14-2008, 02:25 PM
Kostik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazephr View Post
Personally, I'd take Nolan over Renney any day.

Nolan was out of the NHL because of accusations that were made about him sleeping with Hasek's wife. Not sure how true this is.

Nolan took the stance that he was blackballed from the NHL after his Sabres stint because of racism.

Also didn't help matters when Hasek blurted out during a radio interview that he did not respect his coach. This could have something to do with the wifey.

There were also rumors that he showed up to practices drunk.

You can't be serious with this post
Nolan and Hasek's wife?
In Buffalo days...Nolan picked up his favourite guys(mostly young guys like Barnaby), and he kept private sessions with them(ie he was picking up trash on other players).
Game system, tactics, PP, PK - it was all coached by Bufallo assistant coaches, Nolan didn't care, in fact, i could coach Sabres as he did.
Nolan had sometimes problems with Europeans(big meh..), and also with Hasek...he did not speak with him most of the time...he just ignored him.
After a while, Nolan started to screw up with Muckler(GM of Sabres during those days)....i bet thats the same thing what happened now with Isles...
As i've said, Nolan is most over-rated coach i've seen in a long while.
I wish he will be gone from NHL, but on the other hand...Philly or NJD could hire him...i would laugh my ass off

Last edited by Kostik: 07-14-2008 at 02:39 PM.
Old
07-14-2008, 02:28 PM
Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kostik View Post

You can't be serious with this post
Nolan and Hasek's wife?
In Buffalo days...Nolan picked up his favourite guys, and he kept private sessions with them(ie he was picking up trash on other players).
Game system, tactics, PP, PK - it was all coached by Bufallo assistant coaches, Nolan didn't care, in fact, i could coach Sabres as he did.
Nolan had sometimes problems with Europeans(big meh..), and also with Hasek...he did not speak with him most of the time...he just ignored him.
As i've said, Nolan is most over-rated coach i've seen on long while.
I wish he will be gone from NHL, but on the other hand...Philly or NJD could hire him...i would laugh my ass off
I can't follow this logic. Nolan had the Isles playing way over their heads while he was there. The fact that they made the playoffs two years ago was miraculous in and of itself.

Choice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 02:35 PM
Kostik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choice View Post
I can't follow this logic. Nolan had the Isles playing way over their heads while he was there. The fact that they made the playoffs two years ago was miraculous in and of itself.
Well, i've got this from Hasek's autobiography/newspaper articles, not my ideas.
Nolan was laughable during his Buffalo career, i will give him credit for taking Islanders to playoffs once...with early playoff exit ;-)

Old
07-14-2008, 02:40 PM
Theoren Fan

Send a message via AIM to Theoren Fan
Good, this will now pave the way for the new Islanders head coach, Wade Flaherty.

Any other front office position the Islanders can completely **** up, cause I've got Eric Fichaud on line 1...

Theoren Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 02:45 PM
Levitate

I'm not sure if I think it's a good or bad move...if he really was pushing for vets and not agreeing with Snow on developing drafted talent, it might be better for the Isles in the long run. Then again, he didn't have much to work with and at least made them a tough team.

But from another angle, this is just Nolan butting heads with management again and getting booted because of it. Regardless of his abilities as a head coach, I think he has some serious issues working with management and won't fit in with a team unless he's also the GM, or has a GM that's exactly on the same page as him.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 02:45 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theoren Fan View Post
Good, this will now pave the way for the new Islanders head coach, Wade Flaherty.

Any other front office position the Islanders can completely **** up, cause I've got Eric Fichaud on line 1...
for some reason i see pat lafontaine as a coach for the islanders, has he ever coached since getting knocked out by Mike Keane?? i think LaFontaine would do a good job but people said the same about Trottier.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 02:49 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Maybe the Islanders (Wong) are prepared t tank the season, and Nolan doesnt want to.

Maybe thats the philosophical difference.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 02:51 PM
darrenturcotte#8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCallahan43 View Post
for some reason i see pat lafontaine as a coach for the islanders, has he ever coached since getting knocked out by Mike Keane?? i think LaFontaine would do a good job but people said the same about Trottier.
I could see Pat working there for 3 weeks. Keep in mind the Islanders always fire their first hire in the 1st month. See Neil Smith and Brian Trottier for confirmation.

Old
07-14-2008, 02:53 PM
darrenturcotte#8

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Maybe the Islanders (Wong) are prepared t tank the season, and Nolan doesnt want to.

Maybe thats the philosophical difference.
The Tavares sweepstakes have begun...

Old
07-14-2008, 02:56 PM
Theoren Fan

Send a message via AIM to Theoren Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCallahan43 View Post

It appears maybe I should have added a at the end of my post

Theoren Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 03:01 PM
Stepan Razor

lafontaine already stepped down from an honorary position.

this looks like a move to the '09 draft lottery, where they'll get brayden schenn, john tavares, or jared cowen.

Stepan Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 03:19 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Daily View Post
lafontaine already stepped down from an honorary position.

this looks like a move to the '09 draft lottery, where they'll get brayden schenn, john tavares, or jared cowen.
nah islanders will screw up the draft cause they will draft the best player that has ties to islanders in someway either being family related or they will trade the draft pick to the rights so they can announce the signing of eric nystrom

Old
07-14-2008, 03:21 PM
Stepan Razor

or trade the #2 pick for the #5 pick, the #5 pick for the#20 pick, and the #20 pick for seven 7th rounders

Stepan Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 03:22 PM
BleedBlue23

ahhhh wow that's hilarious. way to go snow

BleedBlue23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 03:24 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedBlue23 View Post
ahhhh wow that's hilarious. way to go snow
so far snow is making sather look like a genius well he did get zherdev and fritche for tyutin and pile of crapman

Old
07-14-2008, 05:13 PM
Fataldogg

I'm pretty shocked to be honest. I thought Nolan was a good coach for the Islanders. He gave a team without much talent a great working ethic and they were able to perform game in and game out. Even with a losing record they normally went down losing hard. I came home from work today, found out the news and all I can say is I'm shocked. Like someone else said he was one of the main reasons why they were even somewhat respectable last year. This almost ensures the Islanders contending for the lottery and Tavares next year.

Fataldogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 05:30 PM
JerseyRangers

Wow, can't help but laugh at the train wreck of a franchise. Whose gonna want to coach that team? Lets see you've have a very inexperienced GM, an owner who insists on trying to be the GM, the worst arena in pro sports, fair weather fans who are stuck in the 80's, a goalie on a life time contract, very little youth (even though the franchise hasn't won a playoff series in almost 20 years) and one of the worst farm systems in the NHL. What sane coach would want to step into that mess??

JerseyRangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 06:13 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyRangers View Post
Wow, can't help but laugh at the train wreck of a franchise. Whose gonna want to coach that team? Lets see you've have a very inexperienced GM, an owner who insists on trying to be the GM, the worst arena in pro sports, fair weather fans who are stuck in the 80's, a goalie on a life time contract, very little youth (even though the franchise hasn't won a playoff series in almost 20 years) and one of the worst farm systems in the NHL. What sane coach would want to step into that mess??
they should have kept milbury and that is sad.