Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Notices

Thrashers Roster 08/09

Closed Thread

Old
07-14-2008, 10:19 AM
dunwoody_joe

vCash: 500
"Holy crap, we're going to suck!"...is about right.

At this point, we're expecting too many players to do things they have never done before:
1. Christenson be a #1 center
2. Williams play an entire season
3. Kozlov play like he's not getting too old (and last a whole season and stay interested)
4. Little to be a legit #2 center (I think it is possible)
5. Nikulin to play North American style hockey for a full 82 as a 2nd pair
6. Bogo to play in the NHL as an 18 year old and take a beating over 82 games as a 2nd pairing guy
7. Valabik as an NHL regular and last a whole season
8. ...and paired with Klee? (That might be the worst skating defense pair in the league)
9. Too little depth to compensate for inevitable injuries
10. Plus, the entire southeast division is stronger too.

This squad, at this point, is a serious contender for Tavares.

Old
07-14-2008, 10:24 AM
dj4aces

Send a message via ICQ to dj4aces Send a message via AIM to dj4aces Send a message via MSN to dj4aces Send a message via Yahoo to dj4aces
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunwoody_joe View Post

Quite an assumption to throw out there, since the puck hasn't even dropped on the first pre-season game yet. And a lot of it has to do with the fact you've already got the lines worked out, but not even the coaches have the lines worked out. There are way too many assumptions here, and the best thing for everyone to do is take a wait-and-see approach to the way the lineup is compiled, the lines are formed, and the season starts.

Give it a few weeks into the season before we start with the "Damn, we sure do suck" lines. Until then, all we can do is wait.

Old
07-14-2008, 10:24 AM
btn
Gone Hollywood

Quote:
Explain to me how Carolina, Washington, and Florida got better.

The Canes lost one of their best forwards for a defenseman whose play is so strong nobody wants him for more than one season.

The Panthers lost their best offensive threat, and PP performer while beefing up their D. They replaced him with Stillman.

The Caps lost both of their goalies from last season, and replaced them with a goalie whose head hasn't been screwed on right for 2-3 seasons.

I think it is fair to say that nobody knows what Tampa is going to do yet, but they sure didn't get any better at keeping the puck out of their net this offseason.

Old
07-14-2008, 12:32 PM
dunwoody_joe

We'll see.

Old
07-14-2008, 12:50 PM
ThrasherMinion
Just Chucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by btn View Post
Explain to me how Carolina, Washington, and Florida got better.

The Canes lost one of their best forwards for a defenseman whose play is so strong nobody wants him for more than one season.

The Panthers lost their best offensive threat, and PP performer while beefing up their D. They replaced him with Stillman.

The Caps lost both of their goalies from last season, and replaced them with a goalie whose head hasn't been screwed on right for 2-3 seasons.

I think it is fair to say that nobody knows what Tampa is going to do yet, but they sure didn't get any better at keeping the puck out of their net this offseason.
I agree with you.

Washington will be expecting to run through the SE again, but there's a big difference between "underdog run with no pressure," and "favorite expected to win."

Tampa has 2 strong lines, then nothing but old agers playing high school re-union with the owners and Melrose. No defense, and "Oldie the Goalie." They may run out to an early lead in the division and fade badly in December is my prediction.

Carolina....nothing. Who knows how Brind A'mour will come back from his injury. Samsonov has never put 2 good seasons together.

Florida.....are they still a franchise? All they did was lose, lose, lose. They have a goalie with a suspect back. If Vokoun goes down this season, Florida will be drafting Tavares.

If the Thrashers stay healthy, they will be a fun group to watch and they might win the division. Call me nuts.

Old
07-14-2008, 01:05 PM
Mister Rogers

This is a division that you can win with right at the end of the season. No one ever usually runs away with it.

Old
07-14-2008, 01:10 PM
TasteofFlames

Gotta love the perpetual crazy that is the SED.

Old
07-14-2008, 04:02 PM
DungeonK
Love Thy Neighbor

So it looks like our only hope is to get out-sucked by the rest of the division. On a positive note, John Anderson has never finished a season below .500 at any level of coaching. That should say something about what he is able to get out of players.

Old
07-14-2008, 04:56 PM
Pakeha

Quote:

At this point, we're expecting too many players to do things they have never done before:
1. Christenson be a #1 center
2. Williams play an entire season
3. Kozlov play like he's not getting too old (and last a whole season and stay interested)
4. Little to be a legit #2 center (I think it is possible)
5. Nikulin to play North American style hockey for a full 82 as a 2nd pair
6. Bogo to play in the NHL as an 18 year old and take a beating over 82 games as a 2nd pairing guy
7. Valabik as an NHL regular and last a whole season
8. ...and paired with Klee? (That might be the worst skating defense pair in the league)
9. Too little depth to compensate for inevitable injuries

This squad, at this point, is a serious contender for Tavares.
Re: the points that you have made

1. Agreed - The Thrashers dont have an experienced top line centre yet. I think they will still chase one. The fact Christensen never saw top line duty at the end of last year after the trade tells me they dont see him there - unless he has a great camp and a great start to the season (note: he has done that before)

2. Williams is a great catch in my view and I think he will stand up to a full season - assuming he has recovered from the injury properly

3. Agreed. Kozlov has to get excited about playing on a consistent basis - talent is there.

4. Little as number 2 centre - I am not as convinced about that at this point; he too will have to step up his game very fast and get to near a point a game

5. Agree with your other points except

10. Washington raised their level significantly at the end of last year with the trades - they will clean up the division as of today. They are now a different team at a diffferent level and will only improve more. I like TB to be honest even with some of their deficiencies (BTW the ownership/coach will deliver) including an oldie goalie who may have something to prove. The rest are very beatable.

Old
07-14-2008, 06:16 PM
Magnus Fulgur

Here are the what ifs that matter:

1.) What if Christensen isn't better than White?
2.) What if Williams isn't better than Recchi?
3.) What if Bogosian isn't better than McCarthy?
4.) What if Valabik isn't better than Exelby?
5.) What if Kozlov doesn't play well with Little and Armstrong rather than a Hossa with whom he lost all chemistry?
6.) What if the PP isn't as good with two distinct units and non-moronic coaching?
7.) What if Hainsey isn't better than Zhitty Zhitty Bang Bang?

We're fine...

Old
07-14-2008, 06:22 PM
KevFist
is best pony

Here's how I see it working out....

Kovalchuk--White--Thorburn
Perrin--Christiansen---Williams
Kozlov---Little---Armstrong
Stuart---Slater---LaVallee Smotherman (Sorry..I just like adding that..LOL)
Machacek/Boutlon

Havelid---Enstrom
Hainsey---Valabik
Klee---Bogosian
Exelby

Lehtonen
Hedberg

Old
07-14-2008, 06:27 PM
KevFist
is best pony

Something I forgot to add...

I really wish the Thrashers hada made a move for Georges Laraque. He would have added an aspect to this team that it's never had, which is an honest-to-God enforcer.

Old
07-14-2008, 08:35 PM
dj4aces

Send a message via ICQ to dj4aces Send a message via AIM to dj4aces Send a message via MSN to dj4aces Send a message via Yahoo to dj4aces
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneel View Post
I really wish the Thrashers hada made a move for Georges Laraque.
We'll never know if we had or had not actually made a move for him. I would wager that he was sought after by a lot of teams, and any offer we may have made for him was tossed into the outbox, if you catch my drift.

Old
07-14-2008, 09:07 PM
toph2o

The two seasons prior to this past one, Williams played 78 and 80 games...

Old
07-14-2008, 10:23 PM
DungeonK
Love Thy Neighbor

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneel View Post
Something I forgot to add...

I really wish the Thrashers hada made a move for Georges Laraque. He would have added an aspect to this team that it's never had, which is an honest-to-God enforcer.
Jeff Odgers was a real enforcer. Eric Boulton is a real enforcer. It's not about winning the fight- it's about stepping up for your teammates and pounding someone in the face a couple of times, sacrificing your fists/face to let them know there will be repercussions for ********. Georges is great and all, but I'd rather have a guy that the team likes and actually likes playing here than a random mercenary we'd have to overpay. There are some things more important than how a team looks on paper, just ask the Avs when they grabbed Kariya/Sellane.

Old
07-15-2008, 07:25 AM
Boognish

Quote:
Originally Posted by DungeonK View Post
Jeff Odgers was a real enforcer. Eric Boulton is a real enforcer. It's not about winning the fight- it's about stepping up for your teammates and pounding someone in the face a couple of times, sacrificing your fists/face to let them know there will be repercussions for ********. Georges is great and all, but I'd rather have a guy that the team likes and actually likes playing here than a random mercenary we'd have to overpay. There are some things more important than how a team looks on paper, just ask the Avs when they grabbed Kariya/Sellane.
Absolutely. Boulton does his job well. You could have Kocur and Grimson on this team and if they didn't get the go ahead from the coach, they'd never mix it up. So don't blame Boulton, blame the coaches.

Old
07-21-2008, 10:15 AM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boognish View Post
Absolutely. Boulton does his job well. You could have Kocur and Grimson on this team and if they didn't get the go ahead from the coach, they'd never mix it up. So don't blame Boulton, blame the coaches.
So u have Reasoner now too

Are they at the cap minimum?............are they going to sign a Malik for D or are they going with young D?

Old
07-21-2008, 10:51 AM
btn
Gone Hollywood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
So u have Reasoner now too

Are they at the cap minimum?............are they going to sign a Malik for D or are they going with young D?
Right now the plan is to sign Ilya Nikulin to an entry level contract to bring him over from Ak Bars Kazan in the KHL. At that point we would probably need to move at least 1 D currently under an NHL contract, unless Bogosian doesn't make the team which is highly unlikely at this point.

Enstrom-Havelid
Hainsey-Bogosian
Valabik-Nikulin

Klee, Exelby as extra D

Old
07-21-2008, 11:04 AM
dj4aces

I don't think we're at the cap minimum at this point, but we're getting closer. As embarrassing as that might sound, at least we didn't go balls out on forwards like another team I know...

Old
07-21-2008, 11:24 AM
cws
...in the drink

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj4aces View Post
I don't think we're at the cap minimum at this point, but we're getting closer. As embarrassing as that might sound, at least we didn't go balls out on forwards like another team I know...
Maybe the city council approached the team for help on a big program to help sponsor assisted living and retirement homes,
"For those in the greater TB area who or getting up there in age and/or can't move around to well anymore, have we got a team for you!"

Old
07-21-2008, 11:31 AM
dj4aces

Quote:
Originally Posted by cws View Post
Maybe the city council approached the team for help on a big program to help sponsor assisted living and retirement homes,
"For those in the greater TB area who or getting up there in age and/or can't move around to well anymore, have we got a team for you!"
I thought it was the assisted living homes trying to bring in the team from Charlestown?

Old
07-21-2008, 02:05 PM
TasteofFlames

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj4aces View Post
I thought it was the assisted living homes trying to bring in the team from Charlestown?
If DW would have brought in the Hansens last year, we might have won a few more games.

Old
07-22-2008, 03:17 PM
DungeonK
Love Thy Neighbor

From the NHL.com article that danman posted:

Quote:
"He's paid his dues and received a good taste of the NHL life last season," Marr said. "Both Don (Waddell) and John (Anderson) feel he's NHL-ready right now. Now, that doesn't mean he'll be getting tons of minutes, but I think the plan is to insert him into a regular rotation because when he gets out there, he's a spark. His off-ice conditioning is outstanding, and he also possesses a short learning curve. I think he had a good audition for our team at the end of last season."
Looks like Valabik is a lock

This should keep the games entertaining.

Old
07-22-2008, 03:30 PM
TasteofFlames

Its going to be sweet to have that mean SoB on the ice every night.

Old
07-22-2008, 03:49 PM
DungeonK
Love Thy Neighbor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TasteofFlames View Post
Its going to be sweet to have that mean SoB on the ice every night.
I hear ya, I can't wait to see him smash some Hollweg or Tootoo out there. My fondest memory of last season was watching the refs jump in IMMEDIATELY to restrain him every time he got pissed off. Of course, judging by how ready they were for his 6 or so games last season I bet they'll keep his leash pretty short. It'll be nice to have a defenseman that can actually win the battles in the corners.

Closed Thread