HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Lats finally develops in a Leclair type of power forward

Closed Thread

Old
07-14-2008, 05:45 PM
nyhabsfan
Waiting for #25.....

vCash: 500
I don't think much of Lats

Lats has not even developed into a solid NHL player yet, let alone a Leclair type power forward.

His skating is too weak to drive to the net like John Leclair did, nor is it good enough to hold off a big defenseman down low; so skating is a BIG part of being a power forward.

Is he a bust... of course not, but he should have spent at least a year in the AHL.

He has worked on his skating, but it needs further improvement for him to even be considered as a top 6 forward.

Leclair type... not even close....yet.

Old
07-14-2008, 05:53 PM
Beakermania*

Dagenais may have scored 17 goals in his first year in Montreal... but he was also 26 at the time.

Old
07-14-2008, 06:02 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

I think it's stupid to say a player makes or doesn't make the team just because he's from X nationality...Latendresse is in the NHL for one reason and believe me, it's not because he's a quebecker. Bob Gainey doesn't work like that. Yeah, we can argue about sending him to the AHL, but he'll have to clear the waivers and believe me he won't. I don't care if 48.38769867986843564096586357603456% of his goals came with Koivu and Sergei , he's playing as a fourth liner and tell me how many times has Carbo paired him with Koivu (who clearly makes Latendresse play his best hockey) and give him a true chance to establish himself, NONE. I'm not talkin about 5 games and you're out , I'm talkin about a real chance.

Yes he's slow, yes he doesn't hit like we'd like to , but the kid has that natural scoring touch that makes him an NHL player. He's freakin 21 years old, and two seasons of at least 15 goals playing with semi fourth and third liners? I'LL TAKE THAT FROM A YOUNGSTER ANYTIME. The hitting and all the bla bla bla will come when his confidence reaches the climax, and that's why he needs to play top 6 minutes.

LATENDRESSE IS UP FOR A BIG SEASON.

Old
07-14-2008, 06:08 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyhabsfan View Post
Lats has not even developed into a solid NHL player yet, let alone a Leclair type power forward.

His skating is too weak to drive to the net like John Leclair did, nor is it good enough to hold off a big defenseman down low; so skating is a BIG part of being a power forward.

Is he a bust... of course not, but he should have spent at least a year in the AHL.

He has worked on his skating, but it needs further improvement for him to even be considered as a top 6 forward.

Leclair type... not even close....yet.
Leclair was slow as molasses, he drove to the net because he was big and hard to stop not because he beat anybody with speed.

His speed is not preventing him from scoring more, it's playing with Begin and Lapierre instead of Koivu and Higgins/S.Kostitsyn.

Leclair did not reach 20 goals until he was traded to Phuillie at 26 or 27 and played with Lindros.

Old
07-14-2008, 06:10 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Leclair was slow as molasses, he drove to the net because he was big and hard to stop not because he beat anybody with speed.

His speed is not preventing him from scoring more, it's playing with Begin and Lapierre instead of Koivu and Higgins/S.Kostitsyn.

Leclair did not reach 20 goals until he was traded to Phuillie at 26 or 27 and played with Lindros.
Exactly...

Old
07-14-2008, 06:15 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:

Yeah, we really should put A. Kost, Kovalev, Tanguay, Higgins or S. Kost on the third line so Guillaume can have a shot. All those wingers are more talented and bring more to this team. He'll have to wait for a shot.

Old
07-14-2008, 06:17 PM
shutehinside

As of July 14, 2008 Latendresse has done NOTHING to prove he's any different then they player he was last year and to say otherwise ir retarded. It's like saying O'Byrne has FINALLY turned into a Pronger like defenceman. What a dumb thread, I'm surprised it's still open.

Old
07-14-2008, 06:20 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHabsGo247 View Post
Yeah, we really should put A. Kost, Kovalev, Tanguay, Higgins or S. Kost on the third line so Guillaume can have a shot. All those wingers are more talented and bring more to this team. He'll have to wait for a shot.
What has Christopher Higgins brought to our team? What has Tanguay brought to our team? what has S.Kost brought to our team yet?

Old
07-14-2008, 06:22 PM
HankyZetts
Twi2ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rated R Superstar View Post
What has Christopher Higgins brought to our team? What has Tanguay brought to our team? what has S.Kost brought to our team yet?
U serious?

Old
07-14-2008, 06:24 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post
As of July 14, 2008 Latendresse has done NOTHING to prove he's any different then they player he was last year and to say otherwise ir retarded. It's like saying O'Byrne has FINALLY turned into a Pronger like defenceman. What a dumb thread, I'm surprised it's still open.
What? He played bottom 6 minutes 90% of the time these 2 years. No wonder he hasn't proved anything. You want him to play with Lapierre and Kostopoulos and score 30 goals?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twi2teD View Post
U serious?
Tell me, you think Chris Higgins is so great? He's good but waaayyyyy overrated here.

Last edited by Beakermania*: 07-14-2008 at 06:36 PM.
Old
07-14-2008, 06:32 PM
HankyZetts
Twi2ted

Quote:
Tell me, you think Chris Higgins is so great? He's good but waaayyyyy overrated here.
He is not great, but brings waaayyyyy more to the table than freakin' Latendresse.. I mean come on!

Old
07-14-2008, 06:36 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHabsGo247 View Post
I have come to realize that when it comes to people's fascination with a player, no matter waht team they play for, that player should get special treatment because THEY like that particular player.

Now people believe that putting Lats in a top 6 role will bring out his potential, but why do this? It isn't 100% gaurenteed that he will succeed at playing top line minutes. Maybe he scores on lower lines because he usually plays against the other teams lower lines and has the talent to score against lower pairing players but struggles against top pairing players? You never know, but what we do know is that Higgins has produced and will continue to produce, he has had three 20+ goal seasons, so why replace him with Gui? Because he has better potential? But potential is just potential it doesn't necessarily equal success.

Why should we switch around players who are able to produce so that we can get one player to produce? I thought hockey was a team sport?

As of right now, Higgins, Tanguay, Andrei Kostitsyn, Kovalev and to a certain extent Sergei Kostitsyn( Same amout of points as Lats in his rookie year playing 30 less games) all have in my opinion a priority over Latendresse for a top 6 role, especially when Gainey said this off-seasons that his team would be built around speed and skill! All 5 wingers possess that speed and skill that Gainey is looking for, Lats doesn't. There are 6 guys fighting for 4 spots and 5 players as of right now deserve that spot more than Gui does, so therefore those spots should be reserved to them.

Why would we play Lats over Higgins only because of suspected potential, when Higgins has proven he can play as a top 6 winger?

Why play Lats over Sergei Kostitsyn as a top 6 winger when he plays grittier, has blazing speed and incredible vision?

Why would we play Lats over Andrei Kostitsyn in a top 6 role when Andrei is just a pure sniper, not only that he possess incredible vision and blazing speed and skill?

Oh right, he should play ahead of those players because he has "potential'!

Old
07-14-2008, 06:41 PM
Beakermania*

We are gonnhave 3 offensive lines next season with those 6 wingers..... Lats is obviously 6th among those 6 wingers... but he might be on a top 2 line if they want to equalize things... personally I would have him on the third but that is me....

Lets get Sundin thought so we can make
Lats - Koivu - Sergei Kost
as the third line.

Old
07-14-2008, 06:42 PM
nyhabsfan
Waiting for #25.....

Quote:

Leclair was NOT slow as molasses, he was not a speed burner, but a power forward has EXCELLENT balance and is very tough to knock off the puck.

Leclair was immovable around the crease and won a heck of a lot more battles along the boards than he lost. Lats has to improve in those two areas before he is even considered to be as good as a young John Leclair.

Old
07-14-2008, 06:44 PM
Andy

Quote:
When it comes to speed...
Higgins beats Latendresse

When it comes to intesity and work ethic...

When it comes to defensive play and versatility...

When it comes to one on one battles in the corners...

Higgins has scored 20+goals in his first 3 years playing in the nhl, he is a threat in all three zones and every aspect of the game be it even-strengthed, powerplay and penalty kill.

Higgins is not overrated at all, the expectations on him are high, but he is not overrated.

As of right now, July 14th 2008, Christopher Higgins is 20x the player Guillaume Latendresse is, but if you feel Gui should take Higgins' spot because of potential, then well there's no convincing you to think otherwise.

Old
07-14-2008, 06:44 PM
Fire Brunet*

Powerforwards are fearless, hit everything that moves, park their ***** in front of the net and don't wear visors.

Old
07-14-2008, 06:45 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twi2teD View Post
He is not great, but brings waaayyyyy more to the table than freakin' Latendresse.. I mean come on!
I hope he brings more than him to the table, he plays in the second line!

Old
07-14-2008, 06:45 PM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyhabsfan View Post
Leclair was NOT slow as molasses, he was not a speed burner, but a power forward has EXCELLENT balance and is very tough to knock off the puck.

Leclair was immovable around the crease and won a heck of a lot more battles along the boards than he lost. Lats has to improve in those two areas before he is even considered to be as good as a young John Leclair.
Technique is fixable. Old habits are hard to break, but if you get a good trainer, be conscious of it at all times, you can fix your technique. Latendresse has natural skills and vision/hockey sense that can't simply be taught. Some imperfections in his conditioning, his skating technique and working on his strength/balance.. that and experience is dragging down his game at a ripe age, he'll improve, he'll gain experience and the rest of his game, which is present but dormant, will shine on through.

Old
07-14-2008, 06:48 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
What? He played bottom 6 minutes 90% of the time these 2 years. No wonder he hasn't proved anything. You want him to play with Lapierre and Kostopoulos and score 30 goals?

He's ****ing underrated around here, buddy. Underrated.

Everyone ***** all over Higgins, day in, day out. He has score 20 goals + in all three of his NHL seasons, two of them shortened. Last year he scores 27 goals, while missing a ton of chances, that happens.. Next year he'll likely score 30 if he just cashes in 10% more of his chances.

Not to mention he is one of the more defensively sound wingers on this team (probably the best outside of Tanguay, who is great).

Latendresse is a shot in the dark, why take a chance giving him Top-6 minutes in the centennial year when we have 5 wingers already more proven then him? If Tanguay leaves and Kovalev leaves, I'd be willing to give him a shot. Only way he'll get a good centerman and prove or disprove his haters/lovers is if Sundin signs here and we can roll with three "#1" lines.

Old
07-14-2008, 06:48 PM
HankyZetts
Twi2ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
We are gonnhave 3 offensive lines next season with those 6 wingers..... Lats is obviously 6th among those 6 wingers... but he might be on a top 2 line if they want to equalize things... personally I would have him on the third but that is me....

Lets get Sundin thought so we can make
Lats - Koivu - Sergei Kost
as the third line.
or
Sergei-Sundin-Andrei
Latendresse-Plekanec-Kovalev
Tanguay-Koivu-Higgins

Old
07-14-2008, 06:49 PM
nyhabsfan
Waiting for #25.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFly View Post

Higgins has scored 20+goals in his first 3 years playing in the nhl, he is a threat in all three zones and every aspect of the game be it even-strengthed, powerplay and penalty kill.

Higgins is not overrated at all, the expectations on him are high, but he is not overrated.

As of right now, July 14th 2008, Christopher Higgins is 20x the player Guillaume Latendresse is, but if you feel Gui should take Higgins' spot because of potential, then well there's no convincing you to think otherwise.

that was the perfect post.

We're not bashing lats, but IF you think Higgins is overrated, then Lats should be in the AHL.

Old
07-14-2008, 06:50 PM
peperebougon*

This is the last Lapierre, Latendresse, Dandenault, Bouillon, Breezer thread I open...ever. Even when these guys play good hockey (have good seasons:Breezer, Bouillon) Why so much hate against quebeckers???? And don't bring me the Bouillon is American.

These threads are pointless...always the same old player X sucks. This quebecker hate is getting so old. It is obvious these guys aren't our key players...Why the hate??? We finished FIRST CHRISST!

Put any 19-20 years old player on a third line with limited ice-time and crappy linemates that score 32 goals in his first 2 seasons and let's give him an anglo/russian name and nobody would complain. He is a quebecker so we hate him...thanx to the media. But you guys are not really brighter because most of you get influenced by it. You get fed up with the attention and you hate.

Put let's call Breezer Dmitri Karpov and you would all be saying our 7th D-man had a great season and how he even can fill a 4th d-man spot and play on the PP when needed. What a signing, what a bargain etc...

If Lapierre's name was Trevor Baker...well you get the point.

Start the flaming, I don't care because I won't even read the replies.I am done with these threads about our quebecker utility players. They are just getting too annoying. Always pointing out weaknesses but never pointing out the strenghts. WE WON THE CONFERENCE TITLE CHRISST! What a bunch of hatable whiners we have here. They are only a minority though and only you know if this post is directed towards you.

Old
07-14-2008, 06:52 PM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by peperebougon View Post
This is the last Lapierre, Latendresse, Dandenault, Bouillon, Breezer thread I open...ever. Even when these guys play good hockey (have good seasons:Breezer, Bouillon) Why so much hate against quebeckers???? And don't bring me the Bouillon is American.

These threads are pointless...always the same old player X sucks. This quebecker hate is getting so old. It is obvious these guys aren't our key players...Why the hate??? We finished FIRST CHRISST!

Put any 19-20 years old player on a third line with limited ice-time and crappy linemates that score 32 goals in his first 2 seasons and let's give him an anglo/russian name and nobody would complain. He is a quebecker so we hate him...thanx to the media. But you guys are not really brighter because most of you get influenced by it. You get fed up with the attention and you hate.

Put let's call Breezer Dmitri Karpov and you would all be saying our 7th D-man had a great season and how he even can fill a 4th d-man spot and play on the PP when needed. What a signing, what a bargain etc...

If Lapierre's name was Trevor Baker...well you get the point.

Start the flaming, I don't care because I won't even read the replies.I am done with these threads about our quebecker utility players. They are just getting too annoying. Always pointing out weaknesses but never pointing out the strenghts. WE WON THE CONFERENCE TITLE CHRISST! What a bunch of hatable whiners we have here. They are only a minority though and only you know if this post is directed towards you.
Clearly you weren't here during the NHL Entry Draft.

Old
07-14-2008, 06:53 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by peperebougon View Post

Seperatist.

I hate Latendresse because he sucks and gets unnecessisary praise, not because he's french.

Tanguay>Latendresse
Kovalev>Latendresse
Kost Brothers> Latendresse
Higgins>Latendresse

Its not hate against Quebecers, its the god damn honest truth! Get it through your skulls already.

Old
07-14-2008, 06:57 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFly View Post

Not overrated? last time I checked he could be a 40-50 goal scorer!

Don't get me wrong, I like Higgins and his intensity, but he's no Jarome Iginla.

Latendresse has a shot% of 13.5 in his carreer and Higgins' is 13.1. Not too far, but consider Latendresse hasn't played the minutes Higgins has and who talks about him taking Higgins spot? They can play in the same line next year.

Closed Thread