HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

If things go bad this year...

Old
07-14-2008, 07:39 PM
Fenix Rises 2026
Alfie forever!

vCash: 500
If things go bad this year...

Hypothetically, if sens have a terrible year, would you be willing to jump into rebuilding mode? Which assets would you be willing to part with at the trade deadline?

Fenix Rises 2026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 07:41 PM
Generic Username*

Everyone!

Generic Username* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 07:43 PM
The Fuhr*

Alfredsson (he deserves to win a cup and not go through a rebuild)

I'd also look to deal Heatley for an elite goalie.

The Fuhr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 07:45 PM
Loose Sens
Drafting my Overalls

If Meszaros doesn't progress at all and Vermette is signed and gets 2nd line minutes but doesn't have at least 40 points, I would look at trading them. I would also look and want a few changes to the bottom 6 and signing a new goaltender.

No, I would not be willing to go into rebuilding mode.

Loose Sens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 07:48 PM
Loose Sens
Drafting my Overalls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuhr86 View Post
Alfredsson (he deserves to win a cup and not go through a rebuild)

1. Alfredsson would have to be Bryan Murray personally asking "Do you want a cup?" and then trading him out of respect and BM taking a lot of crap, I don't see it happening but it could. (I doubt BM would want Alfredsson moved and I don't know if Alfredsson would want to be moved just for a SC.)

2. I personally wouldn't trade Heatley at the deadline because the chances of anything big coming back are almost 0. (I don't even know if I would trade him at all)

Not saying bad ideas, but this would have to be we're dead last in the league or 28th or something ridiculously bad.

Old
07-14-2008, 07:49 PM
SilverSeven

I just really dont see things going badly this year. I think people have been way to doom and gloom.

Last year EVERYTHING went wrong. I dont see that perfect storm happening again. This team is still very strong and is getting massively underated....but as we see every year, its ALL about hype. People believe whatever is the popular opinion, even if it is based on little.

And of course, we all know (or should know) that preseason predictions mean jack all.

It wouldnt surprise me one bit if we won the conference this year. Of course, that doesnt mean I project us there, I am just saying I think this team is still a contender.

With all that being said, if we do have another off year, I think we need to push hard for an elite goalie. Thats it. No rebuild. We will be out of Gerbers contract and can push hard for a TRUE top tier goalie.

SilverSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 07:57 PM
Ron Jeremy

If this team had Rick Nash and Luongo we'd be a dynasty. Make it happen, Murray-man.

Ron Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 08:10 PM
Fenix Rises 2026
Alfie forever!

Maybe a better question is, if we do go into rebuilding mode, who do you build the future of the team around? I'd be willling to deal Alfredson and Phillips (with Alfie's approval), but I'd expect a lot back, especially since Alfie's contract is amazingly low. I'd need to see a lot of good prospects/high picks. Heater, Spezza and Fisher are tied up for long deals, so I think I'd stick with them as the core and build around volchenkov and Lee at defence.

Fenix Rises 2026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 08:11 PM
SilverSeven

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilBeforeMcGrattan View Post
Maybe a better question is, if we do go into rebuilding mode, who do you build the future of the team around? I'd be willling to deal Alfredson and Phillips (with Alfie's approval), but I'd expect a lot back, especially since Alfie's contract is amazingly low. I'd need to see a lot of good prospects/high picks. Heater, Spezza and Fisher are tied up for long deals, so I think I'd stick with them as the core and build around volchenkov and Lee at defence.
Phillips will never get the return he deserves. No way we could ever get the value he gives in a trade, especially if our team got rid of Alfie and was going with youth.

Even in rebuilding you need leadership.

Old
07-14-2008, 08:12 PM
Loose Sens
Drafting my Overalls

If we were forced to rebuild no options?

Build around Meszaros-Lee-Karlsson on defense and Spezza-Heatley-O'Brien on forward.

Have Phillips and Alfredsson to lead and retire them.

Old
07-14-2008, 08:12 PM
BigCanadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuhr86 View Post
I disagree with this point. if we go into rebuild mode, moving our best building block is not the way to "rebuild". I know people around here believe a goalie is more important than an elite forward, but you don't move an elite player who just committed to you.

Prospects, picks, supporting players -- all are okay, but moving either Heatley or Spezza is ridiculous.

At least I understand the reasoning behind moving Alfie (IF, AND ONLY IF, HE WANTS TO MOVE).

BigCanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 08:35 PM
operasen

All those No-Trade clauses will prevent a lot of the full re-build mode.

operasen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 08:41 PM
Augustus Pablo

We have a pretty damn good roster. I honestly don't see us being in that situation. As SilverSeven said though if we do have an off year at least lets get a good goalie.

Augustus Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 09:26 PM
ottsens08

And what happens if Gerber has a tremendous season for us, and the club has a great season and we go deep into the playoffs do we resign Gerber?

ottsens08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 09:30 PM
obsenssive*

Send a message via MSN to obsenssive*
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottsens08 View Post
And what happens if Gerber has a tremendous season for us, and the club has a great season and we go deep into the playoffs do we resign Gerber?
I think Murray lets him walk at the end of the year no matter what. That is if we go by the whole "Gerber was brought in by Muckler, Murray clearly doesn't like him".

I'd expect Elliot to be the goalie of the future personally, and if Murray believes that too he will start after this season.

obsenssive* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 09:32 PM
nanuuq
HFBoards Sponsor

The Sky May be Falling.
The Sky May be Falling.
The Sky May be Falling.
The Sky May be Falling.
The Sky May be Falling.
The Sky May be Falling.
The Sky May be Falling.

OMG OMG We are DOOOOOOOOMED!

nanuuq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 09:43 PM
ottsens08

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsenssive View Post
I think Murray lets him walk at the end of the year no matter what. That is if we go by the whole "Gerber was brought in by Muckler, Murray clearly doesn't like him".

I'd expect Elliot to be the goalie of the future personally, and if Murray believes that too he will start after this season.
I tend to agree with you, that Elliott is the future and Gerber will probably go back to finish his career in Europe.

ottsens08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 09:44 PM
BCsensfan

Its hard to imagine this team bombing, which makes it tough to hypothesize about which players could be moved. Jarkko Ruutu and Chris Neil(if he is still with us) would surely garner alot of attention and with crazy trade deadline value could fetch something very nice. that typical grinder, pest with SOME offensive ability is always popular for the long playoff grind. I don't think any of the big guns would be moved, mainly because i just can't see proper value comming our way and i dont think Mr. Melnyk would want to blow things up completely. The nice thing about the sens roster is most of our guys have a role and do it well, and have playoff experience which also jacks their value. That being said i see the sens finishing 4th or 5th in the conference and playing the rangers in the first round(yeah i know its early)...

BCsensfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 10:24 PM
Melnyks Mirage
We are what we are.

vCash: 1072
We're in semi-rebuild mode already...regardless of what polyanna fans might think, we're not in the 40-50 win, 100+ points per season mode anymore.

If we are out of playoff contention by February-March, you look at trading Spezza or young assets for picks and building blocks for the team.

I don't think Alfredsson gets traded...but if this team goes into a total rebuild mode then you have to consider his feelings on the matter and perhaps move him to a contender.

Melnyks Mirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 10:32 PM
SilverSeven

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensFanDan View Post
We're in semi-rebuild mode already...regardless of what polyanna fans might think, we're not in the 40-50 win, 100+ points per season mode anymore.

If we are out of playoff contention by February-March, you look at trading Spezza or young assets for picks and building blocks for the team.

I don't think Alfredsson gets traded...but if this team goes into a total rebuild mode then you have to consider his feelings on the matter and perhaps move him to a contender.
I would be surprised if we dont get 40 wins this year.

And I think many around here would call me one of the more pessimistic (I like to say realistic) fans.

Thing is, I dont ride the rollercoaster that much. Im rarely as high as most people are on the team, and rarely as low as most people are on the team.

Old
07-14-2008, 10:42 PM
Ouroboros

Definitely begin the full rebuild if the team is out of contention by mid January. The problem with this lies in the fact that all of the team's most enticing assets have either NTC's or NMC's. Hopefully if they were approached about waiving them they wouldn't Redden us.

What's the point of being a mediocre team, limping into 6th or 7th place to get smashed in 5 games in the first round? A team should ideally always be either contending for the Cup or rebuilding, never in hockey purgatory.

Ouroboros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 10:53 PM
Loose Sens
Drafting my Overalls

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSeven View Post
I would be surprised if we dont get 40 wins this year.

And I think many around here would call me one of the more pessimistic (I like to say realistic) fans.

Thing is, I dont ride the rollercoaster that much. Im rarely as high as most people are on the team, and rarely as low as most people are on the team.
We got 43 this past season, I think we can equal it or at least better it. Especially considering how this season started to unfold after early on.

And I'm just saying this for the sake of saying it. On a season where everything went wrong in nets and behind the bench, we got 43 wins. (Edit - and speculated problems in the room and with a few individual players.)

Last edited by Loose Sens: 07-14-2008 at 10:56 PM. Reason: To add more reasons
Old
07-14-2008, 10:53 PM
lafite

We had one bad year, the year after the cup finals. Anaheim had a fairly bad year too, despite some creative roster management, and they too lost in the first round. Has anyone ever looked at the SC finalists for the last 10 years or so, and compared their results in the next season? I'm not good at finding statistics like that, but I'd be interested to see the results. Teams like Carolina, Edmonton, and Tampa come to mind, and I bet in general, teams have a let-down the next year due to fatigue.

My point being, the days of the Sens being the top one or two teams in the league in the regular season may be gone, but they still should have a better than average team this coming season. Way too early to think about trading the talent away for futures.

lafite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 10:54 PM
nanuuq
HFBoards Sponsor

I just want all the Leafs lurkers posting on here to
GO AWAY with their negative vibes and leave us Sens
fans alone. Your negativity is mangos, just mangos.

The Sens are Lions to your pathetic posts.
All you want is the Sens to fail so your *WHO HOO* vaunted
leafs will um not fall again.

We will be just fine this year with as much of a shot at the
cup as any other top eastern team, and if you doubt this,
you really have to step back and consider your knowledge
of hockey.

nanuuq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 11:22 PM
costermonger
sans classe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSeven View Post
I just really dont see things going badly this year. I think people have been way to doom and gloom.

Last year EVERYTHING went wrong. I dont see that perfect storm happening again. This team is still very strong and is getting massively underated....but as we see every year, its ALL about hype. People believe whatever is the popular opinion, even if it is based on little.

And of course, we all know (or should know) that preseason predictions mean jack all.

It wouldnt surprise me one bit if we won the conference this year. Of course, that doesnt mean I project us there, I am just saying I think this team is still a contender.

With all that being said, if we do have another off year, I think we need to push hard for an elite goalie. Thats it. No rebuild. We will be out of Gerbers contract and can push hard for a TRUE top tier goalie.
Well said. This team isn't exactly devoid of talent, and if you don't understand Bryan Murray's contract decisions just take a look at how the contracts play out for this team (link). Compare it to others around the league. Every year money comes off the books to adress needs that arise. Yet the core talent is locked up in most cases at a pretty reasonable rates and our "star" players consist of more than one team's fair share of the NHL's elite level players.

Next year we're likely going to have something in the neighborhood of 10 mil to spend on a goalie and some bottom sixers who can probably (and probably should) come from Binghamton. Imagine this team with a real goalie.

Not saying we're winning the cup, not making any bold predictions like that. But we're going to do better than last year. We're huge underdogs according to most people and it's going to be fun watching this team win back some respect.

costermonger is offline   Reply With Quote