HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Was Drury a bad signing?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-14-2008, 01:17 PM
  #101
94now
Registered User
 
94now's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Snow Belt, USA
Country: United Nations
Posts: 6,445
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
the captain should be someone who is on the ice and respected...drury is that.....
No, he isn't. Leader is someone who colleagues BOTH like and respect. Hockey or not.
People will respect you if they know you are overpaid, but they will never like you. On the other hand, if everyone at work likes you, it is a good indication you're underpaid.
In order for someone to become a true group leader that person must be good at what he is doing and be paid adequately for it.
The reason Drury is overpaid is enough to chose someone else, regardless of how good he is on the ice.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 01:22 PM
  #102
Fletch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 21,457
vCash: 500
Viper...

Nylander is the same person who scored 23 goals and 26 goals as a Ranger. Sure he didn't shoot the puck as much as we would've like, but those totals were good for tops on last season's Rangers team and second. Not bad for a playmaking centerman.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 01:24 PM
  #103
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,548
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
No, he isn't. Leader is someone who colleagues BOTH like and respect. Hockey or not.
People will respect you if they know you are overpaid, but they will never like you. On the other hand, if everyone at work likes you, it is a good indication you're underpaid.
In order for someone to become a true group leader that person must be good at what he is doing and be paid adequately for it.
The reason Drury is overpaid is enough to chose someone else, regardless of how good he is on the ice.
that makes zero sense.......what he is paid means nothing.....what he has done in the past does.....people respect him and if you want you can take the time to go around to all of the boards and ask people about his leadership qualities.....no one cares how much he makes on the team because it is a TEAM.....and as long as he is on their side they understand it is a business.......i cant believe you just stated that the players dont like and respect chris drury......your opinion doesnt matter on that fact

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 01:29 PM
  #104
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,548
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
Nylander is the same person who scored 23 goals and 26 goals as a Ranger. Sure he didn't shoot the puck as much as we would've like, but those totals were good for tops on last season's Rangers team and second. Not bad for a playmaking centerman.
i understand what you are saying, and until this season he had a nice stretch of staying healthy, however before that he had serious injuries in his career which is why he came very cheap and why sather probably signed him(buy low)......i liked nylander, dont get me wrong, however i would take drury at 7 million at age 31 over nylander at 36 at 5 million......if nylander had taken a 1 year deal then i wouldve been more than happy to have him on the team however now that we know sather wanted to move onto a new style without jagr would nylander have fit?....probably not which, like you said means he would have to be bought out or traded, which is great except buying him out would mean a cap hit(like shanny's) for years to come and if he had gotten hurt the rangers might not have been able to get rid of him

i respect your opinion fletch so i think we will have to agree to disagree because i am a fan of drury as i have seen what he means to a team over the course of time and i hope many people here will start seeing it next season from him as he will be THE leader of this team and not ONE OF the leaders

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 01:38 PM
  #105
94now
Registered User
 
94now's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Snow Belt, USA
Country: United Nations
Posts: 6,445
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
that makes zero sense.......what he is paid means nothing....
For you, I'm sure. There is the difference between the amateur board posters and professional hockey players. They are at work there. Not at war, not on vacation, but at work. Salaries matter at work. You will find that out when time will come. Read Jagr interview rather then other kids thoughts. I like Drury. But I'm not sure I'm glad he is a Ranger at 7 million per.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 01:42 PM
  #106
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,548
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
For you, I'm sure. There is the difference between the amateur board posters and professional hockey players. They are at work there. Not at war, not on vacation, but at work. Salaries matter at work. You will find that out when time will come. Read Jagr interview rather then other kids thoughts. I like Drury. But I'm not sure I'm glad he is a Ranger at 7 million per.
maybe at real work....but when they are all being paid hansomly and considering drury's track record i think most players would much rather pick his brain to make themselves better than dislike him for what he is paid

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 01:45 PM
  #107
Fletch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 21,457
vCash: 500
I don't disagree...

I'm just stating his goal totals because so many point out how he never shoots but he ended up with a decent amount of goals for a playmaking centerman. I believe Sather had a chance to pick up his option which would've been for one season at a pretty dirt low price. If there was that option, it may've been a mistake by Sather for not picking it up.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 01:49 PM
  #108
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,548
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
I'm just stating his goal totals because so many point out how he never shoots but he ended up with a decent amount of goals for a playmaking centerman. I believe Sather had a chance to pick up his option which would've been for one season at a pretty dirt low price. If there was that option, it may've been a mistake by Sather for not picking it up.
agreed, although to compare nylander, who played with jagr and straka most of the year, whom he played with for another entire season and drury, who played with callahan, sjostrom, prucha, etc....amd didnt reallyt have a set line until the last couple months of the season is a bit unfair

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 01:52 PM
  #109
Romanich7
Registered User
 
Romanich7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 283
vCash: 500
Isay nay but it will be worth it if he lives up to his reputation and scores the cup winning overtime goal during this contract.

Romanich7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 02:42 PM
  #110
Fletch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 21,457
vCash: 500
Perhaps it's unfair...

then talk about total points. I think in an apples to apples situation, Nylander gets more points than Drury when playing with top-end players. I think Drury can grind out points better than Nylander playing with bottom line players (if that makes any sense). For example, with Jagr and Straka, Nylander puts up more points than Drury; playing with Callahan and Dawes, Drury may put up more than Nylander.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 02:59 PM
  #111
MasonRanger
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Beacon, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 260
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to MasonRanger
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
For you, I'm sure. There is the difference between the amateur board posters and professional hockey players. They are at work there. Not at war, not on vacation, but at work. Salaries matter at work. You will find that out when time will come. Read Jagr interview rather then other kids thoughts. I like Drury. But I'm not sure I'm glad he is a Ranger at 7 million per.
Do you really think Drury isn't respected in the locker room? The guy who has won a Stanley Cup, has all kinds of playoff experience and is known as one of the most clutch players in the NHL isn't respected? Gimme a break. And I'm sure the players would appreciate your psychoanalyzation of them, but unless you've actually spoken to them I'm not going to find you very credible on the matter.

MasonRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 03:07 PM
  #112
The Thomas J.*
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Staten Island, NY
Posts: 18,847
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
C'on...your not really trying to compare the Holik with Drury?

Holik is crap, that was crap from the start.
Everyone admits it was a bad contract, but in the long run, we have a true captains captain. Something every teams wishes they had, and most do not.

Diddn't you want Holik back as a FA this off season?

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 03:33 PM
  #113
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck
 
FLYLine24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 29,421
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J. View Post
Diddn't you want Holik back as a FA this off season?


Wrong person your thinking of.

I wouldnt want that guy anywhere near this team ever again.

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 04:02 PM
  #114
Nemchinov13
Registered User
 
Nemchinov13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Gravesend
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 1,726
vCash: 500
Drury has all qualities you'd expect from a hockey player and a man - he's tenacious, he's a leader, he's a winner, he's a stand up type of guy. I love him on our team. But every time I recollect his cost, I cringe.

For the money that Drury got paid, I think I would've preffered Briere.

Nemchinov13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 10:17 PM
  #115
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,548
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemchinov13 View Post
Drury has all qualities you'd expect from a hockey player and a man - he's tenacious, he's a leader, he's a winner, he's a stand up type of guy. I love him on our team. But every time I recollect his cost, I cringe.

For the money that Drury got paid, I think I would've preffered Briere.
please.....i understand the fact you dont like drury's contract, but trust me when i say briere would be the scape goat for most rangers fans as he is a cheap-shot artist who is a total ***** and is wayyyy overrated

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 11:52 PM
  #116
Radek27
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 5,154
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
C'on...your not really trying to compare the Holik with Drury?

Holik is crap, that was crap from the start. Drury is overpaid but hes a bunch better player then Holik ever was. You want a cup, Drury is the perfect player you want leading you (and I mean REALISTICALLY, please dont bring up..Oh hes not Joe Sakic, or Lidstrom, because we all know that, hes not a top 10 player of all time).

Everyone admits it was a bad contract, but in the long run, we have a true captains captain. Something every teams wishes they had, and most do not.
Actually looking through Holik's stats, he put up very similar numbers to Drury on a much more defensive teams in NJ than Buff and the Avs. Aside from that, my point is we drafted guys who are "character" guys and bring intangibles remember? We been collecting guys like that since the lockout. Why oh why would you waste 7 mil of cap space on a guy like Drury when you have done that? Dubinsky can already play his role on the team at a much more reduced rate freeing that money up for other areas. I realize when we signed Drury Dubinsky didn't arive yet, but at the same time have a little faith in your drafting and you have to think that player will arive by sheer luck in the numbers, we drafted a lot of guys over the last 3 years looking for guys who fit the Drury mold. During that time not drafting many big time names that could turn into that 1st line player who actually deserve 7 mil contracts. Name one guy we drafted aside Cherry who projects to a 1st line player? And the fact that he is going to be captain doesn't mean he should make 7 mil either. There are a lot of guys in the league, who are great captains, who don't make close to what Chris makes.

In the end I just don't feel he is worth what we paid. 7 mil I need to get more than intangibles. I want a seriously dangerous player, stud dman, or starting goalie with that money. I am just giving my opinion about the question posted in the thread. I like Drury as a player, I think he is a really solid member of the team. I have no faith in Glen Sather though.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2008, 12:25 AM
  #117
The Thomas J.*
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Staten Island, NY
Posts: 18,847
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post


Wrong person your thinking of.

I wouldnt want that guy anywhere near this team ever again.
One of you Mods did.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2008, 12:42 AM
  #118
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck
 
FLYLine24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 29,421
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J. View Post
One of you Mods did.
Even so, that surely wasn't me.

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2008, 12:44 AM
  #119
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck
 
FLYLine24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 29,421
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
Actually looking through Holik's stats, he put up very similar numbers to Drury on a much more defensive teams in NJ than Buff and the Avs. Aside from that, my point is we drafted guys who are "character" guys and bring intangibles remember? We been collecting guys like that since the lockout. Why oh why would you waste 7 mil of cap space on a guy like Drury when you have done that? Dubinsky can already play his role on the team at a much more reduced rate freeing that money up for other areas. I realize when we signed Drury Dubinsky didn't arive yet, but at the same time have a little faith in your drafting and you have to think that player will arive by sheer luck in the numbers, we drafted a lot of guys over the last 3 years looking for guys who fit the Drury mold. During that time not drafting many big time names that could turn into that 1st line player who actually deserve 7 mil contracts. Name one guy we drafted aside Cherry who projects to a 1st line player? And the fact that he is going to be captain doesn't mean he should make 7 mil either. There are a lot of guys in the league, who are great captains, who don't make close to what Chris makes.

In the end I just don't feel he is worth what we paid. 7 mil I need to get more than intangibles. I want a seriously dangerous player, stud dman, or starting goalie with that money. I am just giving my opinion about the question posted in the thread. I like Drury as a player, I think he is a really solid member of the team. I have no faith in Glen Sather though.
Again, i am in not way shape or form a fan of the price we signed him for, I am a fan of the player we got.

We're stuck with that salary....it stinks, but all well..it could have been worse and we could have gotten a lazy, no hearted player who in 3 years will lose his offensive skills and bring nothing to the table, unlike Dru who will always bring the little things.

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2008, 01:06 AM
  #120
Choice
Registered User
 
Choice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: nyc
Country: Lithuania
Posts: 3,459
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
Again, i am in not way shape or form a fan of the price we signed him for, I am a fan of the player we got.

We're stuck with that salary....it stinks, but all well..it could have been worse and we could have gotten a lazy, no hearted player who in 3 years will lose his offensive skills and bring nothing to the table, unlike Dru who will always bring the little things.
So we might be stuck with Blair Betts at 7mm/per in 3 years? Awesome.

Choice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2008, 01:17 AM
  #121
Choice
Registered User
 
Choice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: nyc
Country: Lithuania
Posts: 3,459
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
On a scale, more like "below avg" then bad...

Like he is defenitly worth 5m considering we got him from the UFA market, IE added a player we had not brought up yourself. You always overpay for them.

And getting a player who defenitly is worth 5m for 7m isn't that bad, we are overpaying with like 2m. If you look around the league there is plenty of UFA's signed who ends up making zero sense. Like a Derian Hatcher, Mattias Norström or Ed Jovanovski -- with thoose types you are basically paying 5-6m per for players that your team would be better without.
Fair enough but we're gonna feel the hurt of overpaying when we have to let someone key walk, or pass up on an elite player because we are up against the cap.

As I said before, it may already have happened in the cases of Jagr and Avery.

Choice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2008, 04:13 AM
  #122
Nacho
Special
 
Nacho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: Greenland
Posts: 2,012
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
then talk about total points. I think in an apples to apples situation, Nylander gets more points than Drury when playing with top-end players. I think Drury can grind out points better than Nylander playing with bottom line players (if that makes any sense). For example, with Jagr and Straka, Nylander puts up more points than Drury; playing with Callahan and Dawes, Drury may put up more than Nylander.
I tought Drury played with Jagr, but that there was no chemistry...

Nacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2008, 10:33 AM
  #123
94now
Registered User
 
94now's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Snow Belt, USA
Country: United Nations
Posts: 6,445
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasonRanger View Post
Do you really think Drury isn't respected in the locker room? The guy who has won a Stanley Cup, has all kinds of playoff experience and is known as one of the most clutch players in the NHL isn't respected? Gimme a break. And I'm sure the players would appreciate your psychoanalyzation of them, but unless you've actually spoken to them I'm not going to find you very credible on the matter.
I love when people jump in after barely reading a few last posts of long conversation...
Sure he is respected. The guy who makes 600K will always respect one who takes home 7 million.
Suppose you make 60 grand a year and your co-worker makes 700K (same proportion). For someone outside you company who makes 15 grand a year both those guys are paid very well. Yet after awhile 60 grand will not be something you're happy with once you realize the 700k guy got his money by accident. That is why Avery went for arbitration. He knew he as player may not be as good as Drury, but not to such a huge difference in pay. If Drury was making 5 million he is worth. Avery might be signed. (This is just an example to make a point, do not follow!!). The other guy on the team will not do what Avery did, but he will not be happy either. That how the team is falling apart eventually. Respect has little to do with it. It does exist, though.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2008, 10:41 AM
  #124
DontStepanMe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Queens, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 5,381
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
I love when people jump in after barely reading a few last posts of long conversation...
Sure he is respected. The guy who makes 600K will always respect one who takes home 7 million.
Suppose you make 60 grand a year and your co-worker makes 700K (same proportion). For someone outside you company who makes 15 grand a year both those guys are paid very well. Yet after awhile 60 grand will not be something you're happy with once you realize the 700k guy got his money by accident. That is why Avery went for arbitration. He knew he as player may not be as good as Drury, but not to such a huge difference in pay. If Drury was making 5 million he is worth. Avery might be signed. (This is just an example to make a point, do not follow!!). The other guy on the team will not do what Avery did, but he will not be happy either. That how the team is falling apart eventually. Respect has little to do with it. It does exist, though.

i think that is also why Lundy got such a big payday as well. b/c even though he is a great goalie, and a huge part of this teams success he still shouldn't be making that much. Look at what other goalies are getting paid. We did not get the slightest hometown discount on that, and think that is a direct relation to overpaying for Gomez and Drury. I mean what are you going to tell Hank, i'm sorry but you are worth $6.7 while Drury and Gomez are worth $7 + w/ no trade, and no movement clauses. he gave us a hometown discount based off of those contracts, instead of basing it off what other goalies are getting. These bad contracts are going to reverberate till they disappear.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2008, 10:42 AM
  #125
Fletch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 21,457
vCash: 500
94...

I guess in the end it's the market that drove Drury's price to $7MM. My guess is that the Rangers didn't vastly overpay what other teams were willing to pay. I get the analysis, but the thought then would've been who would've filled in for what Drury did last season since he wasn't coming here for $5MM?

But of course there are many reasons why the Rangers do not have the funds for Avery. Perhaps Lundqvist costs a couple hundred K too much; ditto Gomez; perhaps the cap hit from last season's bonuses hurt too; perhaps the Rangers really didn't want him and only offered him an amount they knew he would refuse (which, much to my disgust, does happen a fair amount). The salary is what it is - did the Rangers pay too much? It looks like it but what were the options available to the team last season that were vastly better for then and the future (note, my stance is that if he ends up being a winger, I'd question why the Rangers couldn't find a winger for $7MM per year).

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:44 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.