HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Let's Build Next Years Team - First Line Left Wing

View Poll Results: Who should be the First Line Left Wing for next years team?
Nikolai Zherdev 12 9.76%
Markus Naslund 65 52.85%
Petr Prucha 7 5.69%
Nigel Dawes 24 19.51%
Ryan Callahan 0 0%
Chris Drury 8 6.50%
Aaron Voros 1 0.81%
Patrick Rissmiller 0 0%
Brandon Dubinsky 2 1.63%
Lauri Korpikoski 1 0.81%
Ryan Hollweg 1 0.81%
Colton Orr 1 0.81%
Artem Anisimov 0 0%
Greg Moore 1 0.81%
Other (please list below) 0 0%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-14-2008, 03:01 PM
Theoren Fan

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Theoren Fan
I voted for the Nas but now after realizing he's more of a RW, I think I would have went with either Dawes or Prucha

Theoren Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 03:11 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

I'd also like Zherdev to be with Drury and Dawes or Dubinsky and Dawes.

Hes a puck carrier and having two on the same line (Gomez) might not be the best option for spreading out the offense. Especially with the lack of that 6th top winger the Rangers need.

I can easily see everyone picking a Naslund -Gomez - Zherdev first line because its the obvious thing to do...

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 03:15 PM
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
Naslund is a LW, he has played out of potision on the right side in Vancouver over the last 2 seasons.

Fire Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 03:17 PM
Fletch

Fire Sather...

isn't Bertuzzi a left wing? He played a few seasons, his most successful seasons, with Bertuzzi. Am I mistaken or was he on the right wing then also?

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 04:34 PM
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug

Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
Believe Naslund was on the left and Bertuzzi was on the right.

Fire Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 05:05 PM
Unk

Ryan Hollweg...

Unk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 05:11 PM
Fletch

Fire Sather...

an Ontario-born power forward on the off wing? Seems a bit odd. I really don't know - I truly thought Naslund was a right winger. Perhaps I'm just thinking that since he's European and thinking Bert was a left winger because he's Canadian.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 06:09 PM
dank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unk View Post
Are we basing this off of chemistry or is this a kind of depth chart? If chemistry is something to pay attention to, I think Dawes. If it's a depth chart, probably Naslund.
Quote:
Originally Posted by _AC_ View Post
I don't see why everyone wants a top heavy line-up in terms of talent...then have it decrease significantly on the 2nd line...

I'd put Dawes-Gomez-Zherdev

2nd line... Naslund-Drury-Korpikoski
that's what i was saying.. if it's a chemistry line up (which is how teams should make lines) then people are screwed if they don't think Gomez should be #1 center. if it's depth, that's a different story..

like i said before, it's all in good fun, so i'm all for it!

(but there's always something to nit pick )

dank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 06:26 PM
battlerex99

I can't vote, but if I could I'd pick Naslund. I'd like to see a lineup of:

Naslund - Gomez - Zherdev
Dawes - Drury - Dubinsky
Prucha - Fritsche - Callahan
Voros - Betts - Rissmiller

Dubi I feel is going to have to move to the wing. Drury and Gomer are here for the next 4 years as our 1 and 2 centers (even though Drury played left wing before, I feel he would lose value at the position. Plus, he hasn't played it in 6 years), so Dubi should be the guy to move. He's a real power forward; could be a Ryan Malone-type, albeit much more skilled. I think he'd be a good fit on the right wing.

battlerex99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 08:15 PM
RangersFan

Send a message via AIM to RangersFan Send a message via MSN to RangersFan
i honestly would like to see Drury on the left side of Gomez. I like the idea of Gomer centering Drury and Zherdev. I like Dubi in the 2nd line center position with Dawes and Naslund on the right side. I would like an established vet like Nazzy playing with Dubi. Plus I think if Drury ever does move to wing he should play with Gomez, plus Zherdev will most likely be our best goal scorer, might as well have him play on the top line with our best play making center. If Fritsche gets signed he's a perfect 3rd line center.

Drury-Gomez-Zherdev
Dawes-Dubi-Naslund
Prucha-Fritsche-Cally
???-Betts-???

Dubi is not a winger, he is best suited staying at center. Drury's move to wing is inevitable. Naslund could play both wings...

RangersFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 09:50 PM
mti79

I took Dawes, even though I'm not his biggest fan. I think a line of Dawes-Gomez-Zherdev could be fast and electric....

mti79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 10:20 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangersFan View Post
i honestly would like to see Drury on the left side of Gomez. I like the idea of Gomer centering Drury and Zherdev. I like Dubi in the 2nd line center position with Dawes and Naslund on the right side. I would like an established vet like Nazzy playing with Dubi. Plus I think if Drury ever does move to wing he should play with Gomez, plus Zherdev will most likely be our best goal scorer, might as well have him play on the top line with our best play making center. If Fritsche gets signed he's a perfect 3rd line center.

Drury-Gomez-Zherdev
Dawes-Dubi-Naslund
Prucha-Fritsche-Cally
???-Betts-???

Dubi is not a winger, he is best suited staying at center. Drury's move to wing is inevitable. Naslund could play both wings...
I agree about your top six. But, from everything CBJ fans have said, Fritsche is better off on the wing...RW, most likely. And, Prucha, IMO, is the next player to go...$1.6 million in cap space...

Ideally, I'd like to eventually see a 3rd line of Korpi/AA/Fritsche.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 10:28 PM
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
Gonna go out on a limb and say Naslund.

NYR94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 11:33 PM
beastly115

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangersfan30 View Post
i went with Dawes because i want to see a 1st line of

Dawes-Gomez-Naslund
Ditto. I'd like to see Zherdev with Drury.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 11:38 PM
stupendousman

Naslund's a more natural LW, and he played RW because the Sedins are LW and C respectively. Back during the WCE days in Vancouver, Bertuzzi lined up on the RW, with Naslund on the left. Markus is much more successful when he has someone like a Bertuzzi creating space for him.

stupendousman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2008, 12:02 AM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Went with Naslund just because he is the only guy who has ever played 1st line in his career. I was tempted with picking Prucha. I think that kid is gonna prove people wrong and I like him better on the LW with his shot.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2008, 12:27 AM
CFP

Ok, here it goes.

Naslund is a natural LW'er, and has been since he joined the Canucks. He may have played some RW with Pitts back in the day, prior to the Stojanov trade, thus halting his production. On numerous occasions Naslund has been used on the right side with little success (in Vancouver that is),

If Naslund is not on the left side come the start of the season, I would not expect more than 15 goals from him. Maybe thats going on a limb, but Nazzy doesnt have his jump he once had, and of course is another year older.

Nazzy was definatley pinned down (positionally) due to D. Sedins' development in Vancity in recent years and the inability of our coaches to split the Sedin twins up on the PP, top scoring lines etc.

Once again, not a fan of Nazzy at this point on a top line as a LW'er. IE: which is why we didnt offer him a contract. D. Sedin coming up to a UFA year, was more valueable to us (according to Gillis) than Nazzy on the first line wing.

CFP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2008, 01:06 AM
Kostik

Went with Drury.
One of the Drury/Dubi should be moved to LW, and i think Dru's style would fit more with Gomer-Zherdev

Drury-Gomez-Zherdev
Prucha/Dawes-Dubinsky-Naslund

Not bad.

Second choice would be Dawes, whop could benefit from Gomez speed and passes...also top lines would be more balanced..

Dawes-Gomez-Zherdev
Drury-Dubi-Naslund

Last edited by Kostik: 07-15-2008 at 01:13 AM.
Kostik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2008, 01:26 AM
GarretJoseph*

To soon for this, wait until its pre-season, more moves will be made and Hollweg (whos in this poll) is already gone.

GarretJoseph* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2008, 02:00 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarretJoseph View Post
To soon for this, wait until its pre-season, more moves will be made and Hollweg (whos in this poll) is already gone.
weve got like 2 months till hockey starts being relevant. if we have to do it again, so be it, its not like theres a whole hell of a lot more to talk about in the mean time.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2008, 02:40 AM
Celestial Black

Nazgul gets my vote.

Celestial Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2008, 03:46 AM
nyr5186

So many combinations are possible, and I'm sure many will be tried and tinkered with as the season rolls around. It's impossible to say with full certainty which combination will work the best. Every year we see a good amount of surprises. Hell, remember how this time last year the big thing was whether Dubinsky was ready for a 3rd line center role. He ended up centering our top line. Who saw that coming?

With that being said, my ideal lineup would rely on a well-balanced attack. We are not a top-heavy team. We are a team that can only be successful if we focus on team defense first, and spread out our offense amongst four lines (or 3 lines and an energy line). Obviously you also want a good mixture of youth, experience, size, speed, toughness, etc., without compromising the comfort zone of each player. Here's what I came up with...

Dawes - Gomez - Zherdev
Naslund - Dubinsky - Drury
Callahan - Anisimov - Fritsche
Korpikoski - Betts - Rissmiller

Gomez line could kill you with speed and finesse, while the Dubinsky line gets it done by getting dirty. I think Dubinsky and Drury's ability to drive to the net and create space could give Naslund the chances he needs to be successful. I'm hoping Anisimov really turns it on this year, as he definitely has the ability to give us a legit 3rd line scoring threat. This lineup also leaves room for mobility, as guys like Korpikoski, Sjostrom, Voros and Rissmiller have the ability to step up if someone ahead of them falters.

nyr5186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2008, 03:56 AM
Cake or Death

I really don't like Naslund on line one unless we can put someone like Nathan Horton on the line with him, which we obviously can't. Naslund-Gomez-Zherdev just looks too small when Zherdev is the biggest guy on the line and Gomez is the line's most physical player. Naslund should play LW, I just see him as a better fit on line two. Dawes is do-able on line one LW, but not ideal. Drury is also do-able on line one LW, but I prefer him anchoring line two at C. I also have suggested Dubinsky on line one LW, simply to add some size and presence in front of the net and in the corners. Most of these ideas, however, feel like patch work or plan Bs.

We appear to have a bit of a dilemma on line one LW and even more so on line two RW. I'm waiting on the likely impending trade before I can figure out lines. Right now, I don't hate our potential top 6 options, but I can't quite find combos that I truly like either.

Cake or Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2008, 08:38 AM
z1co80
The Incredible Hank

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaqup View Post
Ditto. I'd like to see Zherdev with Drury.

thats what i was thinking, Zherdev is more of a puck carrier and i think he would fit better with Drury. but this for me would mean Drury moving to left wing and Dubinsky centering the 2nd line, i dont want Dubinsky on the 3rd line because i want him to prove he can play without Jagr.

Gomez would then have 2 speedy wingers in Dawes and Naslund who can both finish the puck.

z1co80 is offline   Reply With Quote