HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Line ideas

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-07-2008, 03:30 PM
  #126
ForsbergIsOdin
Registered User
 
ForsbergIsOdin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Asgaard
Country: Sweden
Posts: 8,391
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ForsbergIsOdin
Quote:
Originally Posted by chromemaro View Post
i really want metro as our 3rd line center, but ill wait to see how he pans out
Yeah i feel you on that too. But that is all depended on two things. If Briere actually is a wing and if Glen can still be a good 3rd liner.

ForsbergIsOdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2008, 04:03 PM
  #127
mikedifr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 8,359
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by timisgood89 View Post
The point that some people fail to see is that gagne and carter shoot way too much for a line like that to work.

The two would not get as many shot opportunities if they played together on the same line, and this would hurt both players production.

Can't work, won't work, don't even try it.

I'd like to see a pass-first, true playmaking winger like Giroux play with a shooting center like Carter - seems like the perfect match.
Quote:
Originally Posted by socraticirony View Post
Sounds like Briere to me...

Forget putting Giroux on Carter's wing for now -- at least not until he has gotten some games under his belt and shows what he can consistently do at the NHL level. With Briere passing to him, Carter is a LOCK for 40 goals, and finally maximizing his goal scoring potential should be a main focus this upcoming season.

Yeah, having Gagne and Carter on the same line -- even if they're with Briere -- probably wouldn't work, but I was throwing it out there anyway because of the success Briere and Gagne had together before Simon's injury. I guess a true grinder like Hartnell is a much more ideal fit to complete that first line with Carter and Briere. Additionally, putting Gagne on Richards' wing instantly makes the second line (line 1B, really) a great two-way unit.

Hartnell-Carter-Briere
Gagne-Richards-Lupul
Gagne Carter Upshall played very well together the end of the 06-07 season for about 10-15 games or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chromemaro View Post
i really want metro as our 3rd line center, but ill wait to see how he pans out
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
I love this.. Why? Is Metro better then Briere, Richards or Carter?


O yeah yeah yeah.. Briere to the RW BS. How about we wait for Gagne and then move Briere to the RW if he and Gagne suck.

Metro is a perfect upgrade to Dowd. Metro can play some 3rd line minutes as so can Asham.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
I agree here. So many people are trying to move him to wing. I also think we should wait to see how he does with Gagne. Maybe he could work on his D like Savard did but i dont know bout that. I dont see Metro as our 3rd line center. I just dont see it at all. Maybe if we start sucking and need to move Briere to wing that it happens but at the moment we wont start the season with Briere at wing. Im sure of that
I never wanted Briere moved to wing and still dont want him moved to wing. In fact, I think it is a stupid idea. Especially when a career journeyman center who has had one good season is expected to come in and be the 3rd line center everyone seems to want.

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2008, 04:17 PM
  #128
FlyHigh
Registered User
 
FlyHigh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 28,156
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr View Post
Especially when a career journeyman center who has had one good season is expected to come in and be the 3rd line center everyone seems to want.
Metro had a couple of good seasons in Europe and then 2 solid seasons in a row here, he's not Holik or Malhotra, but he's still a good addition.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 12:46 AM
  #129
mikedifr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 8,359
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
Metro had a couple of good seasons in Europe and then 2 solid seasons in a row here, he's not Holik or Malhotra, but he's still a good addition.
I agree he is a good addition, but not as a fulltime 3rd line center in my opinion. As we have seen many many times, there are players that seem to stand out a whole lot when on the lesser teams and then when they come to better teams dont seem to be as good. He may or may not be one of those players and I am fine with the signing, but I am not excited about it. I rather go with Briere/Carter/Richards down the middle. One of the reasons this team was so successful last year was that punch down the middle. I dont want to lose that.

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 01:23 AM
  #130
FlyHigh
Registered User
 
FlyHigh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 28,156
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr View Post
I agree he is a good addition, but not as a fulltime 3rd line center in my opinion. As we have seen many many times, there are players that seem to stand out a whole lot when on the lesser teams and then when they come to better teams dont seem to be as good. He may or may not be one of those players and I am fine with the signing, but I am not excited about it. I rather go with Briere/Carter/Richards down the middle. One of the reasons this team was so successful last year was that punch down the middle. I dont want to lose that.
How was he on a lesser team when the Bruins finished with virtually the same record and took the Canadiens to a 7 game series and actually outplayed them in a lot of the games unlike us?

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 04:17 PM
  #131
mikedifr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 8,359
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
How was he on a lesser team when the Bruins finished with virtually the same record and took the Canadiens to a 7 game series and actually outplayed them in a lot of the games unlike us?
We made it to the conference finals, they were out in the first round. We should have been even better than we were if it were not for the periods of incompetency by our coach and we should definitely be a better team than them this year. I am not saying he is going to end up being that type of player it just reminds me of that type of situation.

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2008, 04:22 PM
  #132
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Philly Area
Posts: 4,910
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Juicy Couturier*
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr View Post
We made it to the conference finals, they were out in the first round. We should have been even better than we were if it were not for the periods of incompetency by our coach and we should definitely be a better team than them this year. I am not saying he is going to end up being that type of player it just reminds me of that type of situation.
Not to mention our forward depth this year is by far better than their was last year.

Juicy Couturier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 08:14 AM
  #133
Kaktus*
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: PA
Posts: 22,389
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr View Post
Gagne Carter Upshall played very well together the end of the 06-07 season for about 10-15 games or so.
They played together but I do not think Carter could score with $5 ***** during that time. Upshall was on fire. Does not mean they can not play together next season.

Richards played very well with Gagne from what I remember.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 09:18 AM
  #134
DUHockey9
Registered User
 
DUHockey9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hogwarts
Country: United States
Posts: 4,472
vCash: 500
I want to move Briere to wing, but I'm not all that comfortable with Metro at the 3rd line C.

I just really want a Gagne-Richards-Briere line. Essentially our 3 best offensive players. I'd bet that Gags and Richards can probably cover for Briere's defensive play as well.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 09:51 AM
  #135
mikedifr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 8,359
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
They played together but I do not think Carter could score with $5 ***** during that time. Upshall was on fire. Does not mean they can not play together next season.

Richards played very well with Gagne from what I remember.
I think Gagne and Richards would work out great actually, but only if you move Briere to the wing with Carter, otherwise Gagne needs to play with Briere. I wouldnt even mind trying Knuble out there with the two of them either, Richards can play a style a little more similar to Forsberg than Briere can and maybe Knuble/Gagne can regain some of that chemistry. (This would only be if Lupul was moved for defense otherwise I want Lupul with Richards as well)

Hartnell Carter Briere
Gagne Richards Lupul

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 12:47 PM
  #136
phlocky
Registered User
 
phlocky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 6,227
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
I can see the argument for separating Gagne and Carter, but then you have Gagne and Lupul together.

Carter averaged 3.2 shots per game this past year.
Lupul averaged 3.1 shots. So it's not like Lupul is any less of a shooter than Carter is.

I personally would at least like to experiment with Gagne-Carter-Briere.

As I've said before, I think Carter has very underrated playmaking skills (something that Lupul doesn't have incidentally) and with good coaching, I think Carter can refine his game and become a truly elite C.

I'm not saying Carter will become either of these 2 guys because they're both HOFers, but Sundin and Sakic are known for their shots as well, but they both have underrated passing ability.


This seems to be a point most people miss around here. We have 3 "shooters" on the team, Gagne, Carter and Lupul. It's best to split them up.

Next, we have 3 play makers on the team in Briere, Richards and (hopefully making the team and NOT falling flat on his face) Giroux.

Then we have 2 guys who can work in the corners or in front of the net well in Knuble and Hartnell. Hopefully one of the other wings can step up and fulfill the 3rd spot needed here, probably Upshall or Downie if he doesn't live up to task. This would give us our 3 "muckers".


We "SHOULD" try to pair up a play maker and a shooter/scorer and then we can rotated in a mucker until we find a 3-some that works.


The most obvious forst choice would be to pair up Gagne and Briere, they worked very well together last year before Gags got hurt. They are our most experienced forwards an honestly, they are our best scorer and play maker, they give us a legit top-notch #1 line.

Of the 2 play makers and 2 scorers we have left, one each is a wing and a center. Unless we want to have 2 scorers on one line with nobody to set them up and 2 play makers on the other line with nobody to shoot the puck, we would have to pair up Richards with Lupul and Carter with Giroux.

To round out the lines I'd put Hartnell with Gags and Briere, Knuble with Richards and Lupul, and Upshall with Carter and Giroux. This way all 3 lines would have at least some size in case they go out there against another teams big forwards. Hartnell would play damn tough with Gagne and Briere and he'd bang in his own zone keeping guys honest. Gags may not be a big player but he doesn't get pushed around in his own zone either. He plays smart and well defensively and would imo be the best option for reducing Brieres defensive liability. Briere is a defensive liability mostly because he floats around the blue line waiting for a long breakout pass. He's looking to cherry pick and doesn't help out down low very often. Normally it's a wing that looks to cherry pick and the center is the one helping out down low but THAT DOESN'T HAVE TO BE THE WAY IT'S DONE!!!! Gags or Hartnell can drop down low when the puck is on their side for the defensive support and Briere CAN be left to float looking of the homerun pass. Briere just needs to be paired with wings that CAN handle that kind of responsibility and KNOW to do it. We know Gags can do this, it still remains to be seen if Hartnell can do it too, I think he can.

Before he got hurt Lupul was freaking hitting everything in site. I remember how everyone on here, myself included, was amazed by this fact. We knew he was a talanted offensive player but we never expected to see the physical part. He was struggling offensively but you couldn't doubt his effort, he was just snake-bitten at the beginning. However, even with both him and Richards taking the body, they are a small pairing and don't offer much resistance against bigger defensive pairings or bigger forwards like AO. Knuble, even with his deminished abilities, does add usable size to that line. Knuble would really slow down a pairing like Gags-Briere and anything with Carter as these guys can use their speed to exploit opposing defensives. Knuble would just slow them down. Richards isn't a slow skater but he's not fast either. With Richards as the play maker on that line, they will proceed up the ice at a slower more controlled pace than Gags-Briere or Carter-Giroux. Knuble shouldn't slow them down much more than their normal pace. I know Lupul is fast but he's just going to have to slow down a bit with Richards bringing the puck up.

Last, Carter uses his size VERY well in the defensive zone, it's why we played his line against guys like AO and Jagr last year. Upshall is an energy guy and should aggitate the hell out of the other team but Carter will be the one to keep that line defensively responsible.

Having said all that, here's my lines:

Gagne - Briere - Hartnell
Knuble - Richards - Lupul
Upshall - Carter - Giroux

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 01:03 PM
  #137
IrishSniper87
Registered User
 
IrishSniper87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Media, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,402
vCash: 500
What I see happening
Gagne Briere Lupul
Hartnell Richards Knuble
Upshall Carter Giroux
Asham Metro Downie
Cote

What I really want to see
Gagne Richards Briere
Hartnell Carter Lupul
Upshall Metro Giroux
Asham Downie/AHL'er Knuble
Cote

I would like to see Knuble or Lupul along with Jones and/or Kukkonen traded for some D help.

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 01:33 PM
  #138
mikedifr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 8,359
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger73549 View Post
What I see happening
Gagne Briere Lupul
Hartnell Richards Knuble
Upshall Carter Giroux
Asham Metro Downie
Cote

What I really want to see
Gagne Richards Briere
Hartnell Carter Lupul
Upshall Metro Giroux
Asham Downie/AHL'er Knuble
Cote

I would like to see Knuble or Lupul along with Jones and/or Kukkonen traded for some D help.
I dont think they signed Cote for 3 years for him to be the 13th forward. I know there will be games they might not necessarily need him but I think he will be in there for most.

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 02:53 PM
  #139
scottymac223
 
scottymac223's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Williamstown, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 1,404
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to scottymac223
While I'm pretty sure the Metro signing is so the 4th line can play more minutes with him at center, I am 1 of the move Briere to wing guys. I think his style is better suited for the wing. I also am quite certain that Briere is currently our 3rd line center. I would much rather see him on Carters wing. I also would like Giroux to play on Richards wing and with Lupul or Gagne. So,
Briere/Carrter/Gagne
Lupul/Richards/Giroux
Upshall/?????/Hartnell
Asham Downie/Metro/Cote Knuble

In my wildest dreams Knubs and Jones are moved for a solid 3rd line center and then we have the best 12 forwards in hockey.

scottymac223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 02:57 PM
  #140
mikedifr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 8,359
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottymac223 View Post
While I'm pretty sure the Metro signing is so the 4th line can play more minutes with him at center, I am 1 of the move Briere to wing guys. I think his style is better suited for the wing. I also am quite certain that Briere is currently our 3rd line center. I would much rather see him on Carters wing. I also would like Giroux to play on Richards wing and with Lupul or Gagne. So,
Briere/Carrter/Gagne
Lupul/Richards/Giroux
Upshall/?????/Hartnell
Asham Downie/Metro/Cote Knuble

In my wildest dreams Knubs and Jones are moved for a solid 3rd line center and then we have the best 12 forwards in hockey.
They need to move Knuble and Jones for defense. As sad as it is to say, with the defense we have at the moment we need Jones.

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 10:18 PM
  #141
IrishSniper87
Registered User
 
IrishSniper87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Media, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,402
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr View Post
I dont think they signed Cote for 3 years for him to be the 13th forward. I know there will be games they might not necessarily need him but I think he will be in there for most.
Yeah, but if Knuble was traded then we could rock the Cote-Downie-Asham line as our 4th. A nice energy-beat you the **** up line. No Knuble makes Cote the 12th guy (or 11th if you consider Asham the 12th, lol)

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2008, 06:25 PM
  #142
Tim*
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: MSG
Country: United States
Posts: 1,374
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Tim*
Scott Hartnell - Jeff Carter - Joffrey Lupul
Glen Metropolit - Mike Richards - Scottie Upshall
Riley Cote - Daniel Briere - Mike Knuble
Simon Gagne - Steve Downie - Arron Asham

Derian Hatcher/Steve Eminger - Randy Jones
Ryan Parent - Braydon Coburn
Kimmo Timonen - Ossi Vaananen

Martin Biron
Antero Niittymaki

cote can protect briere and knuble will muck in the corners to free up space

gagne is recovering from an injury so he can be a pp specialist

the first line has a grinder (hartnell), a playmaker (carter), and a sniper (lupul)

Tim* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2008, 07:22 PM
  #143
mm6492
Registered User
 
mm6492's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 8,518
vCash: 500
Hartnell-Metro-Lupul
Briere-Richards-Carter
Upshall-Downie-groux
knuble-gagne-cote

mm6492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2008, 08:52 PM
  #144
RoDu
Registered User
 
RoDu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,526
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
Scott Hartnell - Jeff Carter - Joffrey Lupul
Glen Metropolit - Mike Richards - Scottie Upshall
Riley Cote - Daniel Briere - Mike Knuble
Simon Gagne - Steve Downie - Arron Asham

Derian Hatcher/Steve Eminger - Randy Jones
Ryan Parent - Braydon Coburn
Kimmo Timonen - Ossi Vaananen

Martin Biron
Antero Niittymaki

cote can protect briere and knuble will muck in the corners to free up space

gagne is recovering from an injury so he can be a pp specialist

the first line has a grinder (hartnell), a playmaker (carter), and a sniper (lupul)
Is this a joke or were the lines a result of some random generator?

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 12:36 PM
  #145
mikedifr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 8,359
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
Scott Hartnell - Jeff Carter - Joffrey Lupul
Glen Metropolit - Mike Richards - Scottie Upshall
Riley Cote - Daniel Briere - Mike Knuble
Simon Gagne - Steve Downie - Arron Asham

Derian Hatcher/Steve Eminger - Randy Jones
Ryan Parent - Braydon Coburn
Kimmo Timonen - Ossi Vaananen

Martin Biron
Antero Niittymaki

cote can protect briere and knuble will muck in the corners to free up space

gagne is recovering from an injury so he can be a pp specialist

the first line has a grinder (hartnell), a playmaker (carter), and a sniper (lupul)
Please tell me this is a joke?

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2008, 02:46 AM
  #146
Tim*
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: MSG
Country: United States
Posts: 1,374
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Tim*
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr View Post
Please tell me this is a joke?
what's not wrong with it?

Tim* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2008, 11:30 AM
  #147
mikedifr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 8,359
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
what's not wrong with it?
Thats the point...everything is wrong with it

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2008, 11:40 AM
  #148
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr View Post
Thats the point...everything is wrong with it
Cote trying to play with Briere would be...awesome.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2008, 11:43 AM
  #149
mm6492
Registered User
 
mm6492's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 8,518
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Cote trying to play with Briere would be...awesome.
haha it would be quite interesting

mm6492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2008, 11:54 AM
  #150
mikedifr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 8,359
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Cote trying to play with Briere would be...awesome.
Yeah, would be pretty interesting, especially with Knuble on the other side. I think Briere would end up with a 30 point season, with 27 of them on the powerplay.

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:04 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.