HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pick the next Ranger to be gone before camp

Old
07-15-2008, 10:19 AM
Fletch

vCash: 500
You sure did...

who's next? Prucha and Sjostrom are the likely candidates, although I don't think it happens until after Sjostrom is signed.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2008, 10:22 AM
NYR Viper

prucha is next

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2008, 10:36 AM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
prucha is next
one can only hope.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2008, 10:37 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by DruMez View Post
When are we going to realize that Prucha will not be traded? If he's survived this long, he's here to stay.
Prucha is the most likely candidate to go. Hes been injured/benched for large stretches over the last 2 years. Coincidentally, that same time period allowed the Rangers to determine that Nigel Dawes is the better all-around player with higher top 6 upsides (Im not a big fan of either one to be honest). If the Rangers are committed to moving Drury to the wing, Prucha should start packing his bags.

Bleed Ranger Blue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2008, 10:40 AM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
Prucha and Callahan, I fear, are gone. If they sign Fritsche, I think he'll be a winger that'll move up and down between the 2nd and 3rd lines.

I have a serious Callahan man crush, and would be bummed to see him go.

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2008, 10:44 AM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forechecker View Post
Prucha and Callahan, I fear, are gone. If they sign Fritsche, I think he'll be a winger that'll move up and down between the 2nd and 3rd lines.

I have a serious Callahan man crush, and would be bummed to see him go.
i hope not, and I don't think so. he was really important in the PO's and played extremely well. plus he does have some offensive potential, was a leader type in the minors (i'm pretty sure), PK's well (we are kinda short on those), hits, and plays well defensively.

Old
07-15-2008, 10:46 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
who's next? Prucha and Sjostrom are the likely candidates, although I don't think it happens until after Sjostrom is signed.
I think you're right, Fletch. Perhaps package them both and that 5th we received for Hollweg and get a lower-echelon top-six guy with some size. I'd say Ponikarovsky as he gives us size, 20 or so goals and a little bit of grit, but I don't know how often teams trade with each other twice in the same year.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2008, 10:55 AM
NYRSinceBirth

I don't see how people write off a guy like Sjostrom but defend a guy like Callahan.

NYRSinceBirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2008, 10:56 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags225 View Post
i hope not, and I don't think so. he was really important in the PO's and played extremely well. plus he does have some offensive potential, was a leader type in the minors (i'm pretty sure), PK's well (we are kinda short on those), hits, and plays well defensively.
What you have described here is a 4th line player.

IMO, Callahan is best served as a 4th line winger.

Fritsche, Korpikoski, and Dawes all have more offensive talent and should get their chances on the third line.

Callahan should be on the 4th with Betts and one of Sjostrom(preferably due to his speed and skill), Orr, Voros, Rissmiller.

Callahan - Betts - Sjostrom would be a very good 4th line with speed, grit, skill, and 3 good penalty killers.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2008, 11:07 AM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by PukkuMikku View Post

Fritsche, Korpikoski, and Dawes all have more offensive talent and should get their chances on the third line.

Callahan should be on the 4th with Betts and one of Sjostrom(preferably due to his speed and skill), Orr, Voros, Rissmiller.

Callahan - Betts - Sjostrom would be a very good 4th line with speed, grit, skill, and 3 good penalty killers.
no what i described is a 3rd line player. Dawes has to be on the top two lines. Cally needs to get a full healthy season. He was a completely different player once he was healthy again this year. And was the best player on his line during the PO's. that includes drury who had 2 more pts than Cally but didn't play anywhere near the level of Cally.

how do you know what type of offensive talent Korps might have. he has played one game, and cally completely outscored korps in the AHL. so lets just see what he can actually do using a larger sample than 1 game.

Fritsche I have no clue about, but if you just go on stats they are about the same. Last year Fritsche has 22 pts in 69 games. And remember this is his third season in the NHL. Cally would have 19 pts in 66 games if you combine the two years, which included a bad stretch after he was rushed back from injury. Cally was a rookie and doing that.

In fact after he came back up from the AHL he had 12 pts in 28 games. which is just slightly below half pt per game. So that would be about a 38 pt season, which is 3rd line material.

i don't understand y you hate Cally so much.

Old
07-15-2008, 11:19 AM
MikeyLikesHockey

Dawes is a goner

Dawes is a goner.

He will be moved to the west coast for a powerforward.

Prucha still has too much upside and plays with more passion than Dawes.

Dawes is too small and needs to be moved out.

Or Dubinsky...

MikeyLikesHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2008, 11:20 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
no what i described is a 3rd line player. Dawes has to be on the top two lines. Cally needs to get a full healthy season. He was a completely different player once he was healthy again this year. And was the best player on his line during the PO's. that includes drury who had 2 more pts than Cally but didn't play anywhere near the level of Cally.

how do you know what type of offensive talent Korps might have. he has played one game, and cally completely outscored korps in the AHL. so lets just see what he can actually do using a larger sample than 1 game.

Fritsche I have no clue about, but if you just go on stats they are about the same. Last year Fritsche has 22 pts in 69 games. And remember this is his third season in the NHL. Cally would have 19 pts in 66 games if you combine the two years, which included a bad stretch after he was rushed back from injury. Cally was a rookie and doing that.

In fact after he came back up from the AHL he had 12 pts in 28 games. which is just slightly below half pt per game. So that would be about a 38 pt season, which is 3rd line material.

i don't understand y you hate Cally so much.
I don't hate Callahan at all.

I like him very much.

I just don't feel he is top 6, and borderline 3rd line player at this point in time.

He can show otherwise this year, but honestly he is more of an energy guy, with limited scoring ability, and solid defensively.

IMO if he were to be focused on a defensive role he would be more effective, due to his slight offensive upside.

IMO he is like Sjostrom.

Old
07-15-2008, 11:21 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyGSpot View Post
Dawes is a goner.

Dawes is stronger on his skates than Prucha is. Dawes is built like a frickin bulldozer for a guy his size.

But hey, who knows what will happen at this point.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2008, 11:24 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyGSpot View Post
Dawes is a goner.

Or Dubinsky...
dubinsky is like staal untouchable i would think, prucha has more value than dawes at this point.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2008, 11:27 AM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
I don't hate Callahan at all.

I like him very much.

I just don't feel he is top 6, and borderline 3rd line player at this point in time.

He can show otherwise this year, but honestly he is more of an energy guy, with limited scoring ability, and solid defensively.

IMO if he were to be focused on a defensive role he would be more effective, due to his slight offensive upside.

IMO he is like Sjostrom.
he definately isn't a top 6 player right now. but I think you underestimate his offense. He does have a good shot, and gets the scrappy goals. I hate to use this comparison but I will. he is like a Drury-lite. He is nowhere near as good as drury right now (probably will never be) but is the same type of player. he positions himself well for rebounds, has a hard shot, is good defensively, but is not a playmaker. I really think that if he is give a full year on the third line he could produce 35-40 pts if w/ the right players.

If he plays w/ Betts he will be lucky to hit 10 pts b/c lets face it, Betts is void of any offensive potential. Cally was a good scorer in every level so far, I would like to see him get a proper chance to play alot when healthy.

Old
07-15-2008, 11:28 AM
RegalRangers

vCash: 783
I think its also possible that the first couple months of the season are used to feel out our current players and decide who's really worth keeping.

Our team is so different this year that to make cuts and trades with our younger players at this point might not be the best idea.

We really don't know what the lines will look like and which players will gel with each other. You don't sell the spare parts before you're done building the thing.

RegalRangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2008, 11:29 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCallahan43 View Post
dubinsky is like staal untouchable i would think, prucha has more value than dawes at this point.
Prucha 2 years ago, you mean? Prucha's value is at an all-time low. He didnt look like he belonged anywhere near an NHL rink last season. Dawes is inconsistent and disappears for stretches, but to say he has lower value than Prucha at this point is a slap in the face.

Bleed Ranger Blue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2008, 11:30 AM
GAGLine
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

I'm curious as to what you are basing that on. Callahan has scored at every level. Just because he hasn't scored a lot at the NHL level yet doesn't mean he won't. He's got 18g and 11a in 90 career games (reg season and playoffs). It isn't unreasonable to think he can improve to the point where he contributes 35-40 points per year.

You wouldn't take 20g and 15a on the 3rd line? And those numbers are based on only modest improvement.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2008, 11:35 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
he definately isn't a top 6 player right now. but I think you underestimate his offense. He does have a good shot, and gets the scrappy goals. I hate to use this comparison but I will. he is like a Drury-lite. He is nowhere near as good as drury right now (probably will never be) but is the same type of player. he positions himself well for rebounds, has a hard shot, is good defensively, but is not a playmaker. I really think that if he is give a full year on the third line he could produce 35-40 pts if w/ the right players.

If he plays w/ Betts he will be lucky to hit 10 pts b/c lets face it, Betts is void of any offensive potential. Cally was a good scorer in every level so far, I would like to see him get a proper chance to play alot when healthy.
I'm pretty sure he is going to get his chance this year.

A lot of the young guys will, thank God.

I love the direction we are going in.

Old
07-15-2008, 11:43 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
I'm curious as to what you are basing that on. Callahan has scored at every level. Just because he hasn't scored a lot at the NHL level yet doesn't mean he won't. He's got 18g and 11a in 90 career games (reg season and playoffs). It isn't unreasonable to think he can improve to the point where he contributes 35-40 points per year.

You wouldn't take 20g and 15a on the 3rd line? And those numbers are based on only modest improvement.
I just see more of an energy guy at the NHL level, then a consistent producer.

But that doesn't mean that's what will happen.

He had major consistency and conditioning issues this year, which is why he was sent to Hartford for a while.

I hope he produces like he has in lower levels.

Old
07-15-2008, 11:56 AM
jniklast

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRSinceBirth View Post
I don't see how people write off a guy like Sjostrom but defend a guy like Callahan.
indeed, i'd love to see sjöström play on another line than the 4th with the likes of betts (i really like him, but he just doesn't have any offensive upside) and hollweg or orr

jniklast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2008, 12:28 PM
NYReign

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYReign View Post
Hollweg then Rissmiller
1 for 2 (albeit on the blatantly obvious one lol). Still don't see a spot for Rissmiller and if his salary is really one million then I definitely want him off the cap...

NYReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2008, 04:39 PM
donpaulo
Capt Barry Beck

2 year ago prucha was 3rd on the team in power play points and was 7th in ice time

in his rookie season he was 2nd on the team with the extra man in scoring.

clearly he can score and put up points in special teams play.

IF he is given ice time

last season he was 13th in power play ice time per game or 47 seconds a game

give him power play ice time and he will put up points

donpaulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2008, 04:44 PM
FromDubiToZherdev*

Send a message via AIM to FromDubiToZherdev* Send a message via MSN to FromDubiToZherdev*
I still think Sjostrom is the next one who will be leaving. I think the organization has come to the realization that Prucha was the lone wolf the past two season due to the fact that he was one of the very few to play with speed. Prucha IS the new NYR. I highly doubt he will be leaving soon.

FromDubiToZherdev* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2008, 07:35 PM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
I actually wouldn't be surprised to see either Voros or Rissmiller go. We snatched them up very quickly (relatively speaking for players of their, um, caliber), which leads me to believe (three beers into the night, mind you) that maybe other teams were hunting them. In late August/early September those $1MM contracts could be just the thing that below cap floor teams need.

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote