HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Luring Sundin?

Old
07-04-2008, 12:34 AM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

vCash: 500
I get that you guys all have hard-on's for young players with potential, but why do people keep thinking players like Bernier are available? Buffalo traded Campbell, and obviously wanted Bernier badly, as he was the player they got in return. He's a young UFA, has a lot of potential, and Buffalo has about 15 million in cap space they can use.

Why is Buffalo going to trade him, and why are they going to trade him to the Rangers of all teams?

Let me guess, you guys want Sather to throw a massive offer sheet at a guy who has yet to score 20 goals and 40 points?

I just don't get why people think players like this, and franchise players are available... where does it come from?

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 12:39 AM
funky

its enough to get Demitra and roll 3 offensive lines

gomez - naslund - demitra
drury - zherdev - prucha
dubinsky - callahan - dawes
fritche -rissmiller - vorres
betts - orr -hollweg
korpo - moore -cherapanov

in other words - someones gettin moved

Last edited by funky: 07-04-2008 at 12:46 AM.
funky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 12:43 AM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by funky View Post
its enough to get Demitra and roll 3 offensive lines

gomez - naslund - demitra
drury - zherdev - prucha
dubinsky - callahan - dawes
be
i'd rather it be

Naslund-Gomez-Zherdev
Demitra-Drury-Prucha...

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 02:39 AM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
I think there's some pretty funky cap manipulation going on

1. how many defensemen does your # include? if it's 5, I think you're going to want 2 more (at least a million).
2. cutting a player making 1 million doesn't bring a million in cap space, unless you're replacing him with no one.

Old
07-04-2008, 05:04 AM
GarretJoseph*

dont know who would get moved but i doubt it unless he takes a massive pay cut from the 10 mill he will get with the nucks per season for the next two..

GarretJoseph* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 05:23 PM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

Well, guess I was wrong and right.

He was available, and now he's not!

Don't understand why Buffalo would do that though... piss-poor management by Regier. Way to let go a potential beast of a power forward for nothing but picks when you need that kind of player, and don't have a lot of firepower in the farm system...

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 05:39 PM
MasonRanger

Send a message via AIM to MasonRanger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace2008 View Post
how about

Naslund---Sundin--Sjostrom*has everything - 3 20-25 goal guys

Zherdev--Gomez---G.Moore/T.Bertuzzi(no that's not a typo Todd!)

Dawes----Dubinsky-Prucha(I'm not saying a word..this line cleans up!

Drury-----Anisimov--Callahan(Basically 4 lines play all out attack) no more relying on Betts to Shutdown forwards...let the Defenders do the Shutdown stuff. The forwards still backcheck and play responsibly but no more line matching...Let the opposition coach try to match 4 lines...its the 2007 Buffalo Sabres all over again...any line thats out there is a true Scoring line w/ at least 2 20-25 goal caliber guys on the wings at any given time. Lets see more points for the forwards and more assists for the blueliners

Staal---Redden
Kalinin---Roz
Fahey--Girardi
Pock----Sauer/Sanguinetti/Hutchinson etc...
Lay off the crack pipe.

MasonRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2008, 05:43 PM
Yellot00tr

canucks already dropped their offer. it's no longer 2 for $20mil. it's now 2 for $16mil. i saw it somewhere, but i forgot where. thought it was tsn. trying to find the article. there's also a good article about the rangers on tsn:

http://www.tsn.ca/story/?id=242496

Yellot00tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2008, 11:26 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=16239

Yeah yeah yeah...

Quote:
There is however another growing theory, brought up by a source in Western Canada yesterday, but also gaining momentum all over the league.

"Many people now feel that Sundin is waiting on the NY Rangers. That is the holdup" one source told me.
Whatever. Theory, thats all it is.

I really hate to bring one of these threads back.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2008, 11:29 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=16239

Yeah yeah yeah...

Whatever. Theory, thats all it is.

Waiting for the Rangers to do what? Magically clear up 5+ mil in cap space for him? I really don't see where Sundin fits into this lineup.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2008, 11:32 AM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Waiting for the Rangers to do what? Magically clear up 5+ mil in cap space for him? I really don't see where Sundin fits into this lineup.
maybe we are waiting on drury to agree to waive his NTC so we can ship out is $7 mil contract to somebody else who likes to make mistakes (hello toronto, isles).

well one can dream

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2008, 11:33 AM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
Well with Naslund on the team (they are great friends) Henrik Lundqvist (awesome Swedish goalie) and a definite direction....maybe Mats will take a small tiny eeeny weeeeny discount to come play for the Rangers. Not that I am expecting anything but Sather will have to continue house cleaning and certainly, salary wise, that is going to have to make Prucha leave....I would think...although I would love for him to stay.

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2008, 11:39 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Question is, what IF Sundin was willing to play for the Rangers for less.

Like say a 3.0 one year deal.

Any takers here?

I'd be lying if i said i wouldnt be intrigued, but i still dont think it would be a good fit.

Old
07-15-2008, 11:40 AM
TomLaidlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureGM97 View Post
Well with Naslund on the team (they are great friends) Henrik Lundqvist (awesome Swedish goalie) and a definite direction....maybe Mats will take a small tiny eeeny weeeeny discount to come play for the Rangers. Not that I am expecting anything but Sather will have to continue house cleaning and certainly, salary wise, that is going to have to make Prucha leave....I would think...although I would love for him to stay.
If the Vancouver offer is true (2 years 20 mill) he will have to take a substantial pay cut to sign here.

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2008, 11:42 AM
DontStepanMe

Naslund-Sundin-Dawes
Drury-Gomez-Zherdov
Fritsche-Dubinksy-Cally
Sjo-Betts-Orr/Ris/Voros

that looks fanfreakintastic. i still don't see how we get under the cap though... prucha definately will have to go the way of the dodo.

Old
07-15-2008, 11:44 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags225 View Post
maybe we are waiting on drury to agree to waive his NTC so we can ship out is $7 mil contract to somebody else who likes to make mistakes (hello toronto, isles).

well one can dream
I think it's tough to characterize Drury as a mistake if you're talking about 2 year, $16M deals for a 36 year old contemplating retirement. Is this kind of shake-up really worth the 8-10 extra points Mats MIGHT give you over Drury?

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2008, 11:44 AM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureGM97 View Post
It's a long-shot but I wouldn't put it out of the realm of possibility (and that is fine with)...

Not much house-cleaning salary wise that can be done...We really don't need Prucha or SJostrom (the new guys won't be dealt/dumped yet), so they can go to the tune of, what, 2-2.5 mill?...And maybe we walk away from Fritsche and his arbitration, but that's about all the wiggle room...

Larry Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2008, 11:46 AM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
I think it's tough to characterize Drury as a mistake if you're talking about 2 year, $16M deals for a 36 year old contemplating retirement. Is this kind of shake-up really worth the 8-10 extra points Mats MIGHT give you over Drury?

yes becaus you get rid of that contract in 2 years (when we have to sign Staal)... drury you still have his mistake for 4 and it is a NMC. Sundin if the team is bad you could probably trade him for more assets. Sundin would just put alot less pressure on our cap situation since his contract is only 2 years. Plus he is a much better player than Drury.

And I think it is more like 10-20 extra points a year over Drury.

Old
HockeyBasedNYC

Original reports suggested that Sundin's camp contacted the Rangers and not the other way around.

Thats the one reason i cannot discount the fact that there might be some validity to this.

Who knows. If he really wants it, he controls the fate of where he goes and for what.

Old
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
Naslund-Sundin-Dawes
Drury-Gomez-Zherdov
Fritsche-Dubinksy-Cally
Sjo-Betts-Orr/Ris/Voros

that looks fanfreakintastic. i still don't see how we get under the cap though... prucha definately will have to go the way of the dodo.
It also looks like a top two lines that will get pummeled...And Dawes doesn't bel;ong anywhere near a 1st line..3rd line (no checking) is more appropriate

Larry Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2008, 11:47 AM
TheHotRock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
maybe you should open your eyes.

if we deal prucha, we have about 5 mil open for mats. throw that at him as a base and throw 2-3 more in incentives and that should do it.

mats can center naslund, gomez can center zherdev. you can let drury or dubinsky center the third line, let the other one line up on gomer's left. i think with sundin, we'd be a top 2 team in the conference...probably top 5 in the league.

TheHotRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2008, 11:48 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Melnyk View Post
It's a long-shot but I wouldn't put it out of the realm of possibility (and that is fine with)...

Not much house-cleaning salary wise that can be done...We really don't need Prucha or SJostrom (the new guys won't be dealt/dumped yet), so they can go to the tune of, what, 2-2.5 mill?...And maybe we walk away from Fritsche and his arbitration, but that's about all the wiggle room...
Theres speculation in the Fritsche thread that he signed for around 875,000

Old
07-15-2008, 11:50 AM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Melnyk View Post
It also looks like a top two lines that will get pummeled...And Dawes doesn't bel;ong anywhere near a 1st line..3rd line (no checking) is more appropriate
our top two lines are in worse shape now. Sundin at least is a big boy. and also on a line w/ Sundin and Nazzy does it make a difference who the other winger is. I tried to balance the scoring on the top two lines, and keep a good third. Dawes does not belong a third line either, he needs to play w/ some talent.

Old
07-15-2008, 11:52 AM
jniklast

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHotRock View Post
maybe you should open your eyes.

if we deal prucha, we have about 5 mil open for mats. throw that at him as a base and throw 2-3 more in incentives and that should do it.

mats can center naslund, gomez can center zherdev. you can let drury or dubinsky center the third line, let the other one line up on gomer's left. i think with sundin, we'd be a top 2 team in the conference...probably top 5 in the league.
we still have to sign our RFAs like dawes, sjöström and fritsche. I doubt we let them all walk, so there's no way we have 5 mil for sunding even if we trade prucha

jniklast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2008, 11:53 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Dare i make an attempt.

Quote:
our top two lines are in worse shape now. Sundin at least is a big boy. and also on a line w/ Sundin and Nazzy does it make a difference who the other winger is. I tried to balance the scoring on the top two lines, and keep a good third. Dawes does not belong a third line either, he needs to play w/ some talent.
Naslund - Gomez - Drury
Dawes - Sundin - Zherdev
Fritsche - Dubinsky - Callahan
Rissmiller - Betts - Voros

Prucha?

Maybe you can interchange Dawes and Naslund if you please.