HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Straka - Nylander - Jagr

Old
07-15-2008, 01:07 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

vCash: 500
Straka - Nylander - Jagr

Really was a pretty dominant line 06 - 07. Cutting Nylander loose obviously tinkered too much with the chemistry and hurt both Jagr and Strakas numbers imo...

Sather has big balls. Blew up his very productive #1 line because it didnt fit the overall plan for the future.

Not too many GMs have balls like that. Especially in a town like NYC where things can get ugly quick if the team isnt winning.

All in all I will always remember that as one of the Great Ranger lines of all time. Short lived but fun to watch.

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2008, 01:10 PM
SPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chariot View Post
Really was a pretty dominant line 06 - 07. Cutting Nylander loose obviously tinkered too much with the chemistry and hurt both Jagr and Strakas numbers imo...

Sather has big balls. Blew up his very productive #1 line because it didnt fit the overall plan for the future.

Not too many GMs have balls like that. Especially in a town like NYC where things can get ugly quick if the team isnt winning.

All in all I will always remember that as one of the Great Ranger lines of all time. Short lived but fun to watch.
The line that wouldn't shoot....

In all seriousness, that was a fun line to watch. Like you said, short lived, but entertaining. A line that was instrumental in leading us back to the playoffs.

SPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2008, 01:11 PM
NYROrtsFan

Quote:

Correct... And it turned out to be a stupid move imo.

Team gets extremely close to winning the cup if Nylander is here and either Gomez or Drury are not.

Definitely the best Rangers line in some time. not a favorite of all those losers who sat in the Garden and aimlessly screamed "shoot" all the time.

NYROrtsFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2008, 01:12 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

It was a line the NHL, well the East, grew to respect and fear in a short period of time.

Old
07-15-2008, 01:13 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Nylander, at 35 years old, was looking to ride Jagr's coattails to a big payday and he got it from Washington.

Im glad he didnt get it here.

Seems like more smarts than balls to me.

Bleed Ranger Blue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2008, 01:13 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYROrtsFan View Post

Team gets extremely close to winning the cup if Nylander is here and either Gomez or Drury are not.

Definitely the best Rangers line in some time. not a favorite of all those losers who sat in the Garden and aimlessly screamed "shoot" all the time.
Nylander could have taken Slats deal.... I mean I know the guy has like 12 kids to feed but this is the new NHL buddy

Old
07-15-2008, 01:14 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Was it really that stupid of a move to let Nylander go? The Rangers got just as far as the prior year with him. They finished one spot higher in the standings as well. He was injured all last year. Jagr is not back this year as well. We would have had a Jagrless Nylander for another 2 or 3 years (he didn't want only 1 or 2 years). We would have been stuck with him. Sather made the right move at the right time and I commend him for doing so.

WhipNash27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2008, 01:15 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Nylander, at 35 years old, was looking to ride Jagr's coattails to a big payday and he got it from Washington.

Im glad he didnt get it here.

Seems like more smarts than balls to me.
Lots of smart ideas never happen because people dont have the balls to make the call.

Blowing up that line was a risky move. If this was a Canadian team Slats would have been picked apart by the city because the team won one less game in the playoffs....

Old
07-15-2008, 01:23 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Nylander got crushed in January and missed the rest of the season with an injury. Who knows what level he's playing it when he starts year 2 of his contract next year.

Imagine for a second that the same happens here, Jagr still misses his renewal triggers, bolts for Omsk and leaves Sather with 1 or 2 more years of injured, old Nylander. Now THAT would have been a disaster.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2008, 01:27 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
Nylander got crushed in January and missed the rest of the season with an injury. Who knows what level he's playing it when he starts year 2 of his contract next year.

Imagine for a second that the same happens here, Jagr still misses his renewal triggers, bolts for Omsk and leaves Sather with 1 or 2 more years of injured, old Nylander. Now THAT would have been a disaster.
It would've been a disaster and I was AGAINST bringing Nylander back BUT if the above scenario happened you could've always waived Nylander if you couldn't trade him...

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2008, 01:33 PM
SPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYROrtsFan View Post

Team got just as far with Drury and Gomez and we don't have a 36 year old with injury question marks as our first line center.

Old
07-15-2008, 01:37 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Ogrodnick-Kisio-Mullen

Miller-Ridley-Larouche

Not that either of these guys was Jagr, but these lines were highly successful too, are you gonna win championships with them though?

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2008, 01:43 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Ogrodnick-Kisio-Mullen

Miller-Ridley-Larouche

Not that either of these guys was Jagr, but these lines were highly successful too, are you gonna win championships with them though?
I can't think of a worse trade in my lifetime then the carpenter deal..really what was espo thinking?

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2008, 01:44 PM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPG View Post
Team got just as far with Drury and Gomez and we don't have a 36 year old with injury question marks as our first line center.
yeah instead we have two overpaid players locked into long term contracts. one w/ a full NMC and the other w/ a limited NTC. One who can't hit 20 goals, the other who can't hit 70 pts. Great tradeoff.

Would rather have kept Nylander and signed only Gomez. There is no need or justification for that B S contract that drury received. you don't spend 7 mil a season on intangibles or defensively aware forward. who could be a good player if he is in the perfect setting playing w/ highly skilled players who can make up for the lack of his playmaking shortcomings. But he is young. he is young and young = better than old even if the other player is superior offensively and clicks extremely well on the team apparently. **** Sather and **** Drury's contract. They both suck.

DontStepanMe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2008, 01:44 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Sather deserves the credit for assembling that line, and had every right to tear it down.

Thats why I trust the man and his desire to make this team younger and faster.

Bleed Ranger Blue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2008, 01:46 PM
SPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags225 View Post
yeah instead we have two overpaid players locked into long term contracts. one w/ a full NMC and the other w/ a limited NTC. One who can't hit 20 goals, the other who can't hit 70 pts. Great tradeoff.

Would rather have kept Nylander and signed only Gomez. There is no need or justification for that B S contract that drury received. you don't spend 7 mil a season on intangibles or defensively aware forward. who could be a good player if he is in the perfect setting playing w/ highly skilled players who can make up for the lack of his playmaking shortcomings. But he is young. he is young and young = better than old even if the other player is superior offensively and clicks extremely well on the team apparently. **** Sather and **** Drury's contract. They both suck.
Wow... bitter much? I can only imagine what your attitude was when we missed the playoffs 10 years straight.

Old
07-15-2008, 01:48 PM
Backstrom #19
Fire them all

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post

Actually Nylander tore his rotator cuff in November taking a face-off and he play 2 1/2 months with a torn rotator cuff until he decided to get surgery in January.

Backstrom #19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2008, 01:51 PM
SPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backstrom #19 View Post
Actually Nylander tore his rotator cuff in November taking a face-off and he play 2 1/2 months with a torn rotator cuff until he decided to get surgery in January.
Thats exactly what we needed on this team last season... a 36 year old #1 center with a torn rotator cuff making $5M/year !

Old
07-15-2008, 01:59 PM
Fletch

If Straka...

was able to finish Jagr's chances then Jagr would be a Ranger at under a $5MM cap hit, without Nylander.

Signing Nylander for five seasons would've been painful - after a couple years and with Jagr possibly gone, he wouldn't be the same person and if you think you got frustrated then when he didn't shoot, imagine if his line didn't score, which would likely be the case in a couple seasons.

Fletch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2008, 01:59 PM
beastly115

Quote:

I think it's hilarious that Drury's contract pisses you off so much.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2008, 02:00 PM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPG View Post
Wow... bitter much? I can only imagine what your attitude was when we missed the playoffs 10 years straight.
was not happy then at all either, but there was no cap there was always the possibility to cover up mistakes (we didn't) but there was hope. there is no hope of covering up the catostrophic signing. IMO we as a team a pretty screwed for the next 4 years. he is a waste of valuable cap space, and the team as currently constructed wasn't thought out well either. We are tight on cap space every year and we have Drury, redden, Gomez, Rosy, Naslund on high contracts that are in win now mode w/ the rest of the lineup that is first and second year players that aren't really ready to win yet, but maybe in a couple years. But if the cap doesn't go up by alot each year we might have some troubles retaining said young players. We don't have a superstar who can carry this team, in dire times. We can't move big contracts w/o alot of hassle b/c all except for Rosy's are restrictive.

I think Drury and Gomez's signings were completely reactionary b/c of the playoffs and there was no need to sign both, and have a feeling that Sather might be regretting it also as now we have to remake this team again. He did not understand the chemistry Nylander and Jagr had, and I think that if we had Nylander on the team instead of Drury we would have had more pts, and would have at least made the series against Pitt interesting.

Old
07-15-2008, 02:00 PM
The Thomas J.*

While you can't prdicy future preformance on past preformance or even injury, one way or the other Jagr would have wound up playing with Dubinsky.

I really did not lose much sleep when Nylander walked, I was a little surprised though.

I think Jagr would STILL be a Ranger today had he not been so ridgid & tried to form some type of chemistry with Drury & or Gomez.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2008, 02:07 PM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaqup View Post
I think it's hilarious that Drury's contract pisses you off so much.
it pisses me off so much b/c people actually try to defend it by saying he has intangibles. W T F does that mean. Avery has intangibles and wasn't worth $4mil. in fact one could say that he was more valuable than Drury in the clutch this year and especially in the PO's. So drury is magically worth $7mil.

but he can take faceoffs well.... so can gomez, dubi, betts. and Drury was horrible last year's PO's when the faceoffs were important... dubi on the other hand was great.

he plays defense.... great so you pay $7 mil for a defensmen that happens to play forward.... kind of sounds like the opposite of Mark Streit if you ask me. If I wanted a $7 mil player that is known more for his defense than his offense I would sign a $7 mil defensemen.

Drury had a good PO's in 06-07 and cashed in from the Franchise who loves to hand out contracts that players don't deserve. he was never a $7mil player, never will be, and will never live up to his contract. throw on top of that the NMC and you have a signing that rivals valeri kamensky in horribleness.

Old
07-15-2008, 02:11 PM
Lundqvist=Vezina
Legendary

Send a message via AIM to Lundqvist=Vezina
Quote:

Actually the line was not together the second half of the season. Mostly it was Hossa-Nylander-Jagr and when Hossa was out it was the infamous Isbister-Nylader-Jagr line.

Lundqvist=Vezina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2008, 02:16 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
it pisses me off so much b/c people actually try to defend it by saying he has intangibles. W T F does that mean. Avery has intangibles and wasn't worth $4mil. in fact one could say that he was more valuable than Drury in the clutch this year and especially in the PO's. So drury is magically worth $7mil.

but he can take faceoffs well.... so can gomez, dubi, betts. and Drury was horrible last year's PO's when the faceoffs were important... dubi on the other hand was great.

he plays defense.... great so you pay $7 mil for a defensmen that happens to play forward.... kind of sounds like the opposite of Mark Streit if you ask me. If I wanted a $7 mil player that is known more for his defense than his offense I would sign a $7 mil defensemen.

Drury had a good PO's in 06-07 and cashed in from the Franchise who loves to hand out contracts that players don't deserve. he was never a $7mil player, never will be, and will never live up to his contract. throw on top of that the NMC and you have a signing that rivals valeri kamensky in horribleness.

Hmm...good luck with that.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote