HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Straka - Nylander - Jagr

Old
07-15-2008, 02:18 PM
DontStepanMe

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Hmm...good luck with that.
ok maybe i overexaggerated w/ the Kamensky signing... but it still is a really really bad signing.

would still rather have a line of ?-Nylander-Jagr than anybody w/ drury.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2008, 02:23 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags225 View Post
ok maybe i overexaggerated w/ the Kamensky signing... but it still is a really really bad signing.

would still rather have a line of ?-Nylander-Jagr than anybody w/ drury.
I disagree, Drury is a clutch performer and an excellent player for the younger guys to look at in practice and in games. The guy is just an all around winner & a leader, for that i'll overpay.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2008, 02:31 PM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
I disagree, Drury is a clutch performer and an excellent player for the younger guys to look at in practice and in games. The guy is just an all around winner & a leader, for that i'll overpay.
and I'd rather have the two players who can dominate games together, and singlehandedly carry a team into the playoffs, and together take over playoff series. A line who other teams fear coming to play against, who will grind down opponents, and take away top defensive pairings and make coaches gameplan around them which lets the other lines have a little more leeway.

and Cap'n clutch was was anything but clutch last PO's.

Old
07-15-2008, 02:34 PM
NYROrtsFan

Quote:
and I'd rather have the two players who can dominate games together, and singlehandedly carry a team into the playoffs, and together take over playoff series. A line who other teams fear coming to play against, who will grind down opponents, and take away top defensive pairings and make coaches gameplan around them which lets the other lines have a little more leeway.

True... Part of me tends to think the same but guys like Drury always seem to find a way to win, where the others don't necessarily do.

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2008, 02:34 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:

Your dreaming if you think Nylander & Jagr could do that. Unless you consider that lopsided Atlanta series a 'domination' by their line.

Drury can't win games by himself, but its very telling just looking at who is now gone and who has stayed. Its now Drury & Gomez, the team THEY want around them is the one we're going with. That should tell you alot.

Old
07-15-2008, 02:54 PM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Your dreaming if you think Nylander & Jagr could do that. Unless you consider that lopsided Atlanta series a 'domination' by their line.

Drury can't win games by himself, but its very telling just looking at who is now gone and who has stayed. Its now Drury & Gomez, the team THEY want around them is the one we're going with. That should tell you alot.
they had no choice but to build a team around them now. why compound one mistake w/ another mistake of trying to build around somebody else.... that doesn't mean it was the right decision. bottom line is Sather didn't think that it would be so hard for either player to work w/ jagr so he signed both. then it failed miserably, and jagr became a FA, and he was stuck w/ two $7mil centers tied to LTC's. Do you really think he had a choice of how to build the team now? don't say it is the team that they necessarily want if you do not know for a fact, it may just be the team that they need now so they did that not the team then necessarily want.

by the way... 06-07 PO's.

The Straka-Nylander-Jagr Line combined for 6-10-16 and +1 against buffalo. Our team scored 13 goals those 6 games. That line scored almost half. That is a really really good ratio. especially since they were up against other top lines, and the #1 d pairing at all times. And once again we didn't really have much firepower at all behind them.

Drury by the way had 3 g 3a +3 against the Rangers... but he was held off the scoresheet completely 3 of the 6 games. Besides that one lucky goal, it wasn't like he was magical.

Old
07-15-2008, 02:55 PM
NYROrtsFan

That Atlanta series was definitely domination by that line. And if you don't think they are capable of domination, then you did not watch the entire season, or you did not know what you were looking at. Probably too busy screaming "SHOOOT" on the powerplay.

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2008, 03:03 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
they had no choice but to build a team around them now. why compound one mistake w/ another mistake of trying to build around somebody else.... that doesn't mean it was the right decision. bottom line is Sather didn't think that it would be so hard for either player to work w/ jagr so he signed both. then it failed miserably, and jagr became a FA, and he was stuck w/ two $7mil centers tied to LTC's. Do you really think he had a choice of how to build the team now? don't say it is the team that they necessarily want if you do not know for a fact, it may just be the team that they need now so they did that not the team then necessarily want.

by the way... 06-07 PO's.

The Straka-Nylander-Jagr Line combined for 6-10-16 and +1 against buffalo. Our team scored 13 goals those 6 games. That line scored almost half. That is a really really good ratio. especially since they were up against other top lines, and the #1 d pairing at all times. And once again we didn't really have much firepower at all behind them.

Drury by the way had 3 g 3a +3 against the Rangers... but he was held off the scoresheet completely 3 of the 6 games. Besides that one lucky goal, it wasn't like he was magical.
Failed miserably? You forget 7 years of signings that 'failed miserably', please....

No one said Drury had to be magical, but you have more of a chance at winning with guys like him in the lineup. Ask any GM in the league if they think he'd help their cause more than most. Bicker about the dollars and cents all you want, the guy makes your team better, end of story.

Old
07-15-2008, 03:07 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYROrtsFan View Post
That Atlanta series was definitely domination by that line. And if you don't think they are capable of domination, then you did not watch the entire season, or you did not know what you were looking at. Probably too busy screaming "SHOOOT" on the powerplay.
They had good chemistry, but I never thought of Nylander as a #1 Center on a team that could really win the Cup. Especially since we wouldve had a 2nd and 3rd line that wouldve struggled to score points.

You can take that 'shoot' comment where the sun don't shine junior

Old
07-15-2008, 03:18 PM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Failed miserably? You forget 7 years of signings that 'failed miserably', please....

No one said Drury had to be magical, but you have more of a chance at winning with guys like him in the lineup. Ask any GM in the league if they think he'd help their cause more than most. Bicker about the dollars and cents all you want, the guy makes your team better, end of story.
do you honestly think that you have a better shot at winning a cup w/ Drury over Jagr? or were you referring to Drury over Nylander? If it was Nylander than in most cases you would be right, but Nylander-Jagr is better than Drury + whoever is on this team.

and while his play makes a team better somewhat, his cap restrictions completely wipe away whatever good he does.

Old
07-15-2008, 03:21 PM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
They had good chemistry, but I never thought of Nylander as a #1 Center on a team that could really win the Cup. Especially since we wouldve had a 2nd and 3rd line that wouldve struggled to score points.

You can take that 'shoot' comment where the sun don't shine junior
well we'll never find out b/c Sather always neglected a second line after them. Still think that if we had Nyls over Drury w/ Dubi as the #3 center and the rest of the team the same we would have at least won 2 more games against Pitt possibly (i think we would) even beat them, as our PP would have been much better maybe in the top 10 again.

Old
07-15-2008, 03:29 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
do you honestly think that you have a better shot at winning a cup w/ Drury over Jagr? or were you referring to Drury over Nylander? If it was Nylander than in most cases you would be right, but Nylander-Jagr is better than Drury + whoever is on this team.

and while his play makes a team better somewhat, his cap restrictions completely wipe away whatever good he does.
Sometimes less is more. I know, radical concept

Old
07-15-2008, 03:29 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
well we'll never find out b/c Sather always neglected a second line after them. Still think that if we had Nyls over Drury w/ Dubi as the #3 center and the rest of the team the same we would have at least won 2 more games against Pitt possibly (i think we would) even beat them, as our PP would have been much better maybe in the top 10 again.
Yeah, we could play that game until the cows come home(why did they ever leave !?), its all opinion now.

Old
07-15-2008, 03:31 PM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Sometimes less is more. I know, radical concept
yeah Drury on a smaller salary would have been more beneficial to the team.

Old
07-15-2008, 03:32 PM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Yeah, we could play that game until the cows come home(why did they ever leave !?), its all opinion now.
yeah i know... i just don't want to actually work... it's brutal today.

Old
07-15-2008, 03:36 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Sather didn't think that it would be so hard for either player to work w/ jagr so he signed both. then it failed miserably, and jagr became a FA, and he was stuck w/ two $7mil centers tied to LTC's.
But Sather also didn't plan on having Jagr around for 7 or even 5 more years. These are the players he consciously made a long term commitment to and is currently building around. He's not "stuck" with either.

Honestly, I can't believe that Jagr's gone and I'm still having to hear about the injustices levied against Nylander and fans of the Czech posse. If he had taken the one year deal that was on the table, it wouldn't even be a discussion. HE is the one that chose not to return, therefore sending Sather out to solidify the team's sad-ass situation up the middle for the long term. What other course of action could the team have possibly taken?

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2008, 03:44 PM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
But Sather also didn't plan on having Jagr around for 7 or even 5 more years. These are the players he consciously made a long term commitment to and is currently building around. He's not "stuck" with either.

Honestly, I can't believe that Jagr's gone and I'm still having to hear about the injustices levied against Nylander and fans of the Czech posse. If he had taken the one year deal that was on the table, it wouldn't even be a discussion. HE is the one that chose not to return, therefore sending Sather out to solidify the team's sad-ass situation up the middle for the long term. What other course of action could the team have possibly taken?
why should he have to settle for a one year deal when somebody gave him 4 or 5. I would be though that if Sather gave him a two or three year deal he would have signed w/ us though. Than we could have had jagr and Nylander together for at least one (more likely all three) i think they would have been productive as well. Sather gambled on him by lowballing him, which isn't the right way to do things either, especially since he was such a key cog to this team.

and now that we have our sad-ass situation fixed up the middle, we now have created 2 problems... 1) being a sad ass situation w/ our cap and 2) a sad ass situation w/ our future stars being in a logjam due to no more room b/c we are trying to make a veteran team around Gomez and Drury. And yes we still would have a small logjam this year if Nyls signed a two year deal than next year Ani would have space to jump into and we would have alot of cap room coming off the books to make a run at a big time winger. But instead we have to pray that the cap keeps skyrocketing so Drury's signing looks better, and we have some flexibility to resign our own players in the next couple years.

and by stuck i meant stuck w/ two bad contracts. although gomez' i could live w/. Sather would have been better off signing gomer, and nyls for a short 2-3 yr contract. he already knew he had ani and dubi in the wings... why not give them a chance. Dubi up last year (happened) than ani up in 2-3 years (going to happen anyway). but they will play their natural positions and nobody would have to shift around. Also we would have much more cap room to play around w/. so yeah we are stuck w/ those contracts.

Old
07-15-2008, 03:45 PM
bogans

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPG View Post
Wow... bitter much? I can only imagine what your attitude was when we missed the playoffs 10 years straight.
He was a Devils fan in those years...

bogans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2008, 03:57 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
why should he have to settle for a one year deal when somebody gave him 4 or 5. I would be though that if Sather gave him a two or three year deal he would have signed w/ us though. Than we could have had jagr and Nylander together for at least one (more likely all three) i think they would have been productive as well. Sather gambled on him by lowballing him, which isn't the right way to do things either, especially since he was such a key cog to this team.

and now that we have our sad-ass situation fixed up the middle, we now have created 2 problems... 1) being a sad ass situation w/ our cap and 2) a sad ass situation w/ our future stars being in a logjam due to no more room b/c we are trying to make a veteran team around Gomez and Drury. And yes we still would have a small logjam this year if Nyls signed a two year deal than next year Ani would have space to jump into and we would have alot of cap room coming off the books to make a run at a big time winger. But instead we have to pray that the cap keeps skyrocketing so Drury's signing looks better, and we have some flexibility to resign our own players in the next couple years.
It's the team that is bound by the constraints of the CBA, not the player. The Rangers couldn't afford to commit to Nylander for anything longer than the commitment to Jagr, and they damn sure couldn't commit to Nylander's cap hit even if the rotator cuff injury forced (or forces) him to retire.

The current cap constraints weren't even a thought on July 1, 2007. If you think it would have been wise to enter the season with Dubinsky penciled into the top 2 lines, I respectfully disagree. Anisimov could have just as easily had a poor season in Hartford and his development as of today would be a non-issue. All I would say is, when either becomes a player capable of displacing Drury or Gomez, I'll worry about it.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2008, 04:05 PM
Blueshirt Brawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chariot View Post
Sather has big balls. Blew up his very productive #1 line because it didnt fit the overall plan for the future.
I don't know if I would call it balls. Nylander wanted four years at age 34 and both Straka and Jagr are now over 35. They played well for the first two seasons together but after they won one round in two postseasons it was time for a change. I don't think Sather did anything different than any other GM would have done. You couldn't give Nylander four years at his age and so the Rangers went in a different direction.

Blueshirt Brawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2008, 07:41 PM
Ranger35
Proud of NYR

Send a message via AIM to Ranger35
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chariot View Post
Really was a pretty dominant line 06 - 07. Cutting Nylander loose obviously tinkered too much with the chemistry and hurt both Jagr and Strakas numbers imo...

Sather has big balls. Blew up his very productive #1 line because it didnt fit the overall plan for the future.

Not too many GMs have balls like that. Especially in a town like NYC where things can get ugly quick if the team isnt winning.

All in all I will always remember that as one of the Great Ranger lines of all time. Short lived but fun to watch.
It was a great line, but it's not like Sather had any other choice with Nylaner. He wanted too much money for too many years and he got it from the Caps, good for him.

Sather can't think about just next year anymore, and I think he's been doing a great job, despite the fact some fans around the NHL hate the Rangers so they keep claiming they're cheating the cap somehow...

Ranger35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2008, 10:49 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:

HA.,..yea, nylander and jagr did a whole lot when jagr was injured the first season after the lockout.....

also, did you not watch buffalo against the rangers the season before in the PO's?.....he pretty much single-handedly beat the rangers, outscoring everyone in the series AND playing every pk and pretty much every shift against the jagr line....

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 01:29 AM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Agree 100%.

Was reading this thread and until I got to your post, thought I was hullucinating. Especially on a board of fans who are known (or at least used to be known) for appreciating all aspects of the game.

Nylander? Over Gomez or Drury?

Come April?

You choose Nylander over Drury for one reason only. Your fantasy league team (read: personal offensive stats, October-March). Not if you want a better chance at winning a Stanley Cup.

Last edited by Trottier: 07-16-2008 at 03:41 PM. Reason: clarification
Trottier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 02:16 AM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J. View Post
While you can't prdicy future preformance on past preformance or even injury, one way or the other Jagr would have wound up playing with Dubinsky.

I really did not lose much sleep when Nylander walked, I was a little surprised though.

I think Jagr would STILL be a Ranger today had he not been so ridgid & tried to form some type of chemistry with Drury & or Gomez.
Im just happy we didnt sign Souray for 5 mil a year like we were rumoured to have.

THAT Would have been a disaster.

07-16-2008, 03:08 AM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Dubinsky View Post
Im just happy we didnt sign Souray for 5 mil a year like we were rumoured to have.

THAT Would have been a disaster.

Amen brother.
We wound up with a potentiol disaster in Redden though, eh who knows.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote