HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Shanny rumors persist

Old
07-15-2008, 03:02 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

vCash: 500
Shanny rumors persist

http://insider.espn.go.com/nhl/features/rumors

Quote:
Brendan Shanahan's agent, Rick Curran, shot down a rumor that he had rejected a one-year, $2M offer from the Canucks, according to The Province.
"I can tell you that I've never been approached or had any discussions with Vancouver regarding Brendan," Curran told The Province.

"We've only been having discussions with one team, and that's the New York Rangers.

"Brendan still feels he has a job that he wants to finish with the Rangers and he knows he has some good hockey left in him. He fully intends on playing next year and, at the moment, his intention is to play with the Rangers."
Crap. I can totally see this happening. Glen tells Brendan, "I've got to clear room for you. Be patient and let me make moves like shipping Hollweg out of town and then, when we have enough room under the cap, we'll get you another 1 year deal. That's why I haven't filled that 2nd line RW spot yet."

I really hope not.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2008, 03:06 PM
coolbean04

I would take Shanny again for 1 more year if he's around 2M. I still think he can contribute around 20 goals next year.

coolbean04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2008, 03:06 PM
NYROrtsFan

May as well at this point. Aren't going to the playoffs anyway and they need somebody who can play in the top 6.

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2008, 03:07 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Seems like Renney and Slats have been pretty clear that they want a younger, faster team. I don't really see Shanny fitting into that mentality. I think you could move some players and wind up with a top-six forward that is a slightly better option than Shanahan.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2008, 03:08 PM
coolbean04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Seems like Renney and Slats have been pretty clear that they want a younger, faster team. I don't really see Shanny fitting into that mentality. I think you could move some players and wind up with a top-six forward that is a slightly better option than Shanahan.
Shanny on the 3rd line that brings leadership, while having ice time on the PP and PK. That's a solid move.

Old
07-15-2008, 03:08 PM
Plato
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 0
2 million may be a bit much for what Shanahan can do at this point in his career.

Plato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2008, 03:09 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Slats told him to sit tight. This shouldnt be a surprise either way.

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2008, 03:10 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYROrtsFan View Post
May as well at this point. Aren't going to the playoffs anyway and they need somebody who can play in the top 6.
They need to add grit and size to the top 6 at this point.

Shanny is Mr. PK 3rd/4th liner next year. If that

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2008, 03:13 PM
coolbean04

Let me also add that I think Shanny-Dubinsky-Fritsche would work well on the 3rd line. I know a lot of you want Korpi in there but I think one more year in AHL would do wonders for him. Remember, he's still only 21.

I think it's important to have players with NHL experience surrounding Dubinsky. If we have guys like Korpi playing, I can see both Dubinsky and Korpi disappearing in games.

Old
07-15-2008, 03:16 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbean04 View Post
I would take Shanny again for 1 more year if he's around 2M. I still think he can contribute around 20 goals next year.
even if he scores 5 goals next year, his grit, toughness and leadership will help our youth if renney does not overplay him. i mean not how many players are willing to fight brashear. heck not even our captain would not have done this. id make shanny captain this year with gomez and drury with the A. 1 year with 1.5 with incentives if he plays an x amount of games.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2008, 03:17 PM
Richter35

if he comes back that means prucha is gone, because if you assume that rissmiller isnt leaving because he just signed, prucha is the biggest salary/most movable player. I think that Prucha if anything would have something left in the tank, the guy is what 25? I wouldn't mind having shanny back on the bottom six but i dont think he's worth it at the expense of younger players that still have something left to prove imo.

Richter35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2008, 03:25 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYROrtsFan View Post
How can you really know that in July? We were predicted to finish 30th a few years ago and nearly won the division. Last year many thought we could go all the way when we added both Gomez and Drury. I think we'll finish right in the middle of the pack this year...we could be in, or we could be out. But imo it's foolish to know how it will all unfold nearly 3 months before the season.

broadwayblue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2008, 03:25 PM
Poozer

I like the previously posted Shanny-Dubinsky-Fritsche as a third line, I think they could work well together.

I also totally feel if Shanny doesn't have any freak accidents (ie running into Knuble), or knee to knee collisions, he will actually be able to contribute all season, especially in a somewhat reduced role.

He can certainly put in 15-20 goals. He can win us the extra points in a shootout (shanny/zherdev/dawes looks like an awesome shootout lineup to me). He's great on the PK/PP, and he'd provide leadership to a young team.

Now we just have to sign him for <2mil.

Poozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2008, 03:29 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

The Rangers are lacking some proven scoring depth in the top 6, but using Shanny as a top 6 goes against the grain of this team.

They are saying they are getting younger and quicker, but if you bring Shanny back, even for the right price, you are adding another veteran whos slowed down considerably.

Renney has said, hed love to have Shanny back, but in a reduced role. What, 3rd, 4th line?

If thats the case, you are adding another winger to the list that already contains:

Prucha (1.6)
Callahan (.575)
Fritsche (.875)
Rissmiller (1.0)
Voros (1.0)
Orr (.537)
Dawes (?)
Sjostrom (?)

Thats 9 guys going for 5 spots. Out of those 9, at least 4 will be making over 1 million, including Voros and Rissmiller. If the Rangers were serious about bringing Shanahan back why would they have signed those two for that much without the intention of playing them? Thats whats so confusing...

Theres one option i could see that would make sense and thats signing him late in the year if the Rangers are hit with injuries or they make a trade, but im not sure if Shanny, the Rangers or the league will allow that.

Unless some combination of Dawes, Fritsche, Sjostrom, Callahan, Prucha, Orr are packaged for a legit top 6 winger, then i dont see the sense in re-signing Shanahan, even for 1 year.

This is why i just dont get those two Riss and Voros deals. I could have lived with one, but i dont get why they got two redundant pieces for those price tags. Could you trade either of those two with that contract? Maybe Rissmiller... but Voros? Three year deal? Is there something i dont see with this guy?

Last edited by HockeyBasedNYC: 07-15-2008 at 03:35 PM.
HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2008, 03:30 PM
TomLaidlaw

Kill me now

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2008, 03:31 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

If it's time to cut ties with Jagr, it's certainly time to cut ties with Shanahan.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2008, 03:35 PM
zestystrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chariot View Post
Slats told him to sit tight. This shouldnt be a surprise either way.
+1 nothing new here. It's the summer, so the pot needs to be stirred periodically on the same topics, rehashing them to death.

I guess nothing would shock me with this team, but with the new “younger, faster team” that is being built (their words, not ours) Shanny can’t be described as either right now. I’d be surprised if he’s back.

zestystrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2008, 03:37 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

If he is indeed brought back for one more year, I wouldn't play him above the third line.

Drury - Gomez - Zherdev
Dawes - Dubinsky - Naslund
Korpikoski - Anisimov - Shanahan
Fritsche - Betts - Callahan/Sjostrom

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2008, 03:38 PM
coolbean04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
If it's time to cut ties with Jagr, it's certainly time to cut ties with Shanahan.
We only cut ties with Jagr because he wanted too much money. If he accepted 4M like we offered, he'd still be on this team.

So don't make it seem like we're moving on because of age.

Old
07-15-2008, 03:39 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PukkuMikku View Post
If he is indeed brought back for one more year, I wouldn't play him above the third line.

Drury - Gomez - Zherdev
Voros, Rissmiller, Orr, Prucha?

Don't really see Anisimov getting a call-up unless he has an insane training camp and absolutely dominates at Traverse City.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2008, 03:40 PM
coolbean04

Quote:

Drury - Gomez - Zherdev
I just don't see Fritsche or Cally on the 4th line and Anisimov will not make the team.

Old
07-15-2008, 03:42 PM
Nich

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbean04 View Post
Shanny on the 3rd line that brings leadership, while having ice time on the PP and PK. That's a solid move.
completely...i don't understand how you don't want the next captain of the rangers back?

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2008, 03:43 PM
nyrcallahan24
nomvegannom

I pray to the gods of hockey that we get shanny back!

nyrcallahan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2008, 03:44 PM
Nich

Quote:

Naslund - Gomez - shanny
Dawes - Drury - Zherdev
korpedo - Dubinsky - callahan
Fritsche - Betts - varos
ex orr rissmiller

by prucha and sjostrom

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2008, 03:44 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
but Voros? Three year deal? Is there something i dont see with this guy?
Voros found a way to put some consistent offense early last season. I can't tell you how or why, only that he was a gem of a UFA pick-up for my fantasy team for about a month, but after X-mas, his production just disappeared.

All I can think is, there's the promise of Avery-esque production there mixed with size that the team is sorely lacking. Maybe he looks like a bargain by year 3?

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote