HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Shanny rumors persist

Old
07-15-2008, 08:33 PM
cjdv16

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
http://insider.espn.go.com/nhl/features/rumors

Crap. I can totally see this happening. Glen tells Brendan, "I've got to clear room for you. Be patient and let me make moves like shipping Hollweg out of town and then, when we have enough room under the cap, we'll get you another 1 year deal. That's why I haven't filled that 2nd line RW spot yet."

I really hope not.
I can't understand this. If Shanahan so desparately wants back to the NYR, then sign a deal for the league minimum. What's so difficult? The guy's got more money than god. Put the pride on the side in terms of pay and go finish your career where you want.

Or does he want his cake and eat it too?

cjdv16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2008, 08:33 PM
Esa 10

I wouldn't take Shanny back at the league minimum. Veteran leadership? Isn't that what Drury is being overpaid for? If they have to bring a vet back to a "Younger, Faster" team, Straka should've been the choice. At least he can still skate and the "leadership" quotient is there. Not that I think either is a good fit this year.

Esa 10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2008, 08:38 PM
BwayBshirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
cmon.........this would be like 4 steps back....why would sather make all of these moves to become faster and younger and then sign shanny........doesnt make sense
that's why we wait and see.

i think shanahan's fate still is to be determined by what does or doesn't happen (i.e. the sundin saga, etc.).

BwayBshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2008, 08:49 PM
dtones520

I dont know why you Rangers fans wouldnt want to bring back one of the best locker room presences in the league, one of the best leaders in the league and a guy who is still capable of a 25-25-50 season. Yeah he may not have the same jump in his step as he used to, but as a 3rd line/PP type guy there isnt many better guys out there. You have the room to sign him, I dont know why you wouldnt.

dtones520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2008, 09:08 PM
Unk

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtones520 View Post
I dont know why you Rangers fans wouldnt want to bring back one of the best locker room presences in the league, one of the best leaders in the league and a guy who is still capable of a 25-25-50 season. Yeah he may not have the same jump in his step as he used to, but as a 3rd line/PP type guy there isnt many better guys out there. You have the room to sign him, I dont know why you wouldnt.
I think the problem is since his concussion, Shanny hasn't been much of a physical player, and now he's gotten much slower. He can't handle top-6 minutes anymore, and the team has a glut of bottom-6 guys (with several possible rookies looking for a chance in too), so he'll only make that problem worse. Plus the team already has Drury as a locker room presence. Shanny doesn't really fill a need anymore on this team, so it's best to let him go.

Now maybe if the team excels near the deadline and he's still available, maybe...

Unk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2008, 09:15 PM
Yellot00tr

Quote:
totally agree. we should DEFINITELY try to resign shanahan. forget about everything else, but he's already proven that he's willing to take less money to be a ranger. add in his leadership abilities, locker room presence, and ability to still produce at a decent level, it should be a no brainer.

Yellot00tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2008, 09:19 PM
Unk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellot00tr View Post
totally agree. we should DEFINITELY try to resign shanahan. forget about everything else, but he's already proven that he's willing to take less money to be a ranger. add in his leadership abilities, locker room presence, and ability to still produce at a decent level, it should be a no brainer.
Now, everyone can disagree whether he's worth it or not to have him on the team, regardless, but when did he prove he'd take less money to be a Rangers? Didn't he get a nice raise from the 06-07 season to the 07-08, part of which makes up the cap space we have now?

Unk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2008, 09:33 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nich View Post
ex orr rissmiller

by prucha and sjostrom
Seriously people the team is set

they just need to resign Sjostrom and Dawes and they will just like they did Fritsche

Prucha is the 2nd line RW...............I am good with that.........if he falters they can move Drury to the Wing and have Fritsche or Rissmiller Centre the 3rd line

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2008, 09:51 PM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whale4ever View Post
Yeah, he was a bang-up captain with Hartford. All that character and heart before requesting his ticket out of town a year later. Real stand-up guy.

Are you kidding me? If Jesus Christ himself was buried in Hartford he would have asked out of there too.
Get over it.

Last edited by The Thomas J.*: 07-16-2008 at 01:27 AM.
The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2008, 09:56 PM
LIRoyals7794

Quote:
cmon.........this would be like 4 steps back....why would sather make all of these moves to become faster and younger and then sign shanny........doesnt make sense
Clearly you do not understand the game of hockey. With the youth movement the Rangers are going with, more now than ever you need an expirenced hockey player who can show leadership on and off the ice. No one in the NHL right now is a better fit than Brendan Shanahan, he is the ultimate leader.

Last edited by LIRoyals7794: 07-15-2008 at 10:03 PM.
LIRoyals7794 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2008, 10:01 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjdv16 View Post
I can't understand this. If Shanahan so desparately wants back to the NYR, then sign a deal for the league minimum. What's so difficult? The guy's got more money than god. Put the pride on the side in terms of pay and go finish your career where you want.

Or does he want his cake and eat it too?
Shanahan made nearly $5 million in 07-08.How much money do you really need?

He can't afford to pay the rent on his upper eastside pad?

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2008, 10:06 PM
Whale4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J. View Post
Are you kidding me? If Jesus Christ himself was uried in Hartford he would have asked out of there too.
Get over it.
Another well-read Rangers fan presents to the world his unbiased, modest, and educated opinion on happenings which took place before he was drinking Similac.

Honestly, I'm shocked it took this many hours for exactly the response I expected to receive from at least one person here.

Kudos to all who resisted the urge.

Whale4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2008, 10:22 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIRoyals7794 View Post
Clearly you do not understand the game of hockey. With the youth movement the Rangers are going with, more now than ever you need an expirenced hockey player who can show leadership on and off the ice. No one in the NHL right now is a better fit than Brendan Shanahan, he is the ultimate leader.
i understand the game fully....i understand shanny is a great leader, but it doesnt mean he needs to have a spot on this team........its not like the rangers are a team of only young guys.......they have players like drury, gomez, redden, rozsival, and betts and some young players who have a year under their belts or more......do i like shanny as a leader...hell yes.....the problem i have with him is that he cant hold up for even half a season and he has lost more than just one step to his game making his power forward game totally useless......

would you rather have a player like korpikoski, who is part of the future of the rangers, on the team or shanahan?.....its a legitimate question because shanahan will be blocking someone who has worked hard for a spot and IMO desereves at least a look

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2008, 10:41 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
1) He's slow.
2) He eats up a roster spot on the 3rd line where we already have an abundance of players
3) If a top-six winger goes down, theres no doubt Renney will bump Shanahan up to that slot and he'll stay there.
4) We have quite a few guys in the AHL (Byers, Korpikoski, Moore, etc) who have paid their dues and should be given a legitimate shot on the big squad.
5) We need another top-six winger. If we sign Shanny, that eats into the salary for that player.

Shanny is not the same player he was in Detroit. If you watched him the entire season, you'd know what we're talking about.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2008, 10:53 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbean04 View Post
We only cut ties with Jagr because he wanted too much money. If he accepted 4M like we offered, he'd still be on this team.

So don't make it seem like we're moving on because of age.
First off, I haven't seen any quotes about what Jagr was offered, so I am a skeptical about your $4 million figure. Second, Jagr himself said that it was the length of contract offered (only one year) that was unacceptable.

As for suggesting that I am using the "age" card, I'm not, I was referring to the change in philosophy that is happening, resulting in faster, younger team. If Shanahan could still keep up, I'd be indifferent, but it was clear last season that he no longer is fast enough--even with the slower roster than now.

No more Shanahan, let's turn the page.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2008, 10:55 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
1) He's slow.
2) He eats up a roster spot on the 3rd line where we already have an abundance of players
3) If a top-six winger goes down, theres no doubt Renney will bump Shanahan up to that slot and he'll stay there.
4) We have quite a few guys in the AHL (Byers, Korpikoski, Moore, etc) who have paid their dues and should be given a legitimate shot on the big squad.
5) We need another top-six winger. If we sign Shanny, that eats into the salary for that player.

Shanny is not the same player he was in Detroit. If you watched him the entire season, you'd know what we're talking about.
Add in all these points along with the fact i'm sure he is gonna wanna get paid too. I doubt he is begging Glen on the phone asking for the minimum. Can you imagine a 3M or more cap hit for Shanahan with all these other contracts we have?

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2008, 11:01 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
Add in all these points along with the fact i'm sure he is gonna wanna get paid too. I doubt he is begging Glen on the phone asking for the minimum. Can you imagine a 3M or more cap hit for Shanahan with all these other contracts we have?
agreed.....he will say he doesnt want to go elsewhere and will stil get 3 million which is rediculous for a guy on serious decline

Old
07-15-2008, 11:02 PM
Rangers2319

i dont see why everyone doesnt like shanny and doesnt want him, hes a great player and a legend i dotn care if hes old or not, he scored the 2nd most goals on the team last year if i recall

Rangers2319 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2008, 11:06 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangers2319 View Post
i dont see why everyone doesnt like shanny and doesnt want him, hes a great player and a legend i dotn care if hes old or not, he scored the 2nd most goals on the team last year if i recall
first of all......welcome to the boards!!

second of all....if you watched the games last season you would have seen his play deteriorated A TON and he just didnt look like he could keep up AT ALL.....he doesnt forecheck, can barely skate, and shoots the puck from too far away because he is always trailing the play.....he looked tired about 20 games into the season....and he needed a week and a half break at one point.....add on top of that he is another year older ill pass on shanny unless he takes the league minimum to sit the bench and play 30-40 games

Old
07-15-2008, 11:08 PM
Shark Staal
Woah

Quote:
Yeah, he was a bang-up captain with Hartford. All that character and heart before requesting his ticket out of town a year later. Real stand-up guy.
thats because the whalers sucked

Shark Staal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2008, 11:11 PM
Shark Staal
Woah

Quote:
Another well-read Rangers fan presents to the world his unbiased, modest, and educated opinion on happenings which took place before he was drinking Similac.

Honestly, I'm shocked it took this many hours for exactly the response I expected to receive from at least one person here.

Kudos to all who resisted the urge.
thats why the whalers are still a team in the NHL right. give the guy a break, he gave an honest fact opinion. Why did Pronger leave to? is it because his wife didnt like Hartford?

Old
07-15-2008, 11:15 PM
Radek27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangers2319 View Post
I'm all for him coming back, but for the right price, a 4th line role with PP time with that one timer of his, and his leadership. The problem I have is I know Glen will pretty much give him what he wants. He made 5 mil last year? OMG. And like Viper said, Renney is going to plug him into the top 6 when slumps or injuries arive, it's a temptation you can't resist like when Messier came back..........they said he wouldn't play top 6 mins, but there he was rackin up major mins.

Oh yes, and welcome to the boards.

Old
07-15-2008, 11:17 PM
Radek27

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubblegumGang184434 View Post
thats because the whalers sucked
True, but still one of my favorite hockey sweaters of all time.

Old
07-15-2008, 11:20 PM
Shark Staal
Woah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
True, but still one of my favorite hockey sweaters of all time.
there jerseys were wicked though, i do agree with you on that. But they couldnt hang on to anyone. a Young Pronger, Holik, and Shanahan. all almost in there primes.

Old
07-15-2008, 11:55 PM
LIRoyals7794

Quote:
i understand the game fully....i understand shanny is a great leader, but it doesnt mean he needs to have a spot on this team........its not like the rangers are a team of only young guys.......they have players like drury, gomez, redden, rozsival, and betts and some young players who have a year under their belts or more......do i like shanny as a leader...hell yes.....the problem i have with him is that he cant hold up for even half a season and he has lost more than just one step to his game making his power forward game totally useless......

would you rather have a player like korpikoski, who is part of the future of the rangers, on the team or shanahan?.....its a legitimate question because shanahan will be blocking someone who has worked hard for a spot and IMO desereves at least a look
Betts instead of Naslund? I dont think so.

Yeah I would like to see Korps get a shot and see how he does, but Shanahan we know can still get goals and has a good influence on the young guys. He also has a positive influence in the locker room.

LIRoyals7794 is offline   Reply With Quote