HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Let's Build Next Years Team - Second Line Center

View Poll Results: Who should be the Second Line Center for next years team?
Chris Drury 79 54.11%
Brandon Dubinsky 59 40.41%
Blair Betts 4 2.74%
Artem Anisimov 2 1.37%
Greg Moore 0 0%
Dan Fritsche 1 0.68%
Other (List Below) 1 0.68%
Voters: 146. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-15-2008, 11:39 PM
NYR Viper

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
Whats such a crazy idea about that really? Drury wasn't given 7 mil for his scoring ability alone, don't forget those intangibles. He is our best face off guy besides Betts. He is probably our best defensive foward........way more so than Dubinsky. I want to see that kid put in a situation to keep growing, and on the 3rd line isn't it. And I want to see Drury play in a role where he can do well, and 3rd line C to me sounds good for a player of his ability. And whats wrong with having 3 lines that can score? If Betts is back ya know we won't have 4.
you answered your own question......if 3 scoring lines are what the rangers are going for then dubi can play on the third line and still be improving

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 12:09 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYROrtsFan View Post
Drury... Don't think this should be much debate.
Drury is fine. Dubi at C and Dru on the wing is fine. But who're the idiots voting for Betts? It's not even funny. Don't joke like that, you'll cause injuries and he'll actually be on the second line.

Beacon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 12:56 AM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
i know this is kind of far ahead but do we really have to vote for the starting goalie?

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 01:00 AM
Garfinkel1

How come I can't vote?

Garfinkel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 06:09 AM
9darter
Soft Euro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendo View Post
Really?

I've been more active in this thread than most others in my tenure as a reader of this forum, but how does Anisimov leap-frog the consumate teammate and professional in Drury (overpaid as he may be) and everyone's second-year darling in Dubinsky?

I just can't see Anisimov being a 60 pt per yr player (pro-rated if he plays fewer games of course) in his freshman season.
Who would have expected Dubinsky to leapfrog Gomez and Drury to the first line last year?
I'm just saying that it could happen over a long season, and I really liked what I saw from Anisimov in the five or six Wolf Pack games I watched last season.
Maybe he could do very well right off the bat with a couple of veteran wingers.
Maybe a line combination with Drury on wing turns out well while Dubinsky is having a tough second year, thus freeing up the second line center spot. Who knows?
That said, I fully expect Drury to start the season centering the second line.

9darter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 08:09 AM
Kendo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
Considering Dubinsky was our 1st line center last year, how is me voting for him based on potential? That kid can play the game. I'm sorry I don't wanna see a good kid like that get the Manny Malhotra treatment. He has to play and keep playing in big situations with good linemates like he was doing. You guys have wayyyy too big a hard on for Chris Drury.
Since he scored considerably less than two other centers on the team, it seems like you are voting for what Dubinsky could be, not what he is. 25g, 33a versus 14g, 26a. That's how a vote for Dubinsky is a vote for potential, since he clearly did NOT have have a better year than Drury. Again, how is he better?

Besides, 5-10 minutes on the fourth line is the Malhotra treatment, not 15 or so third line minutes. True, the kid can play, but I want him to actually outplay Drury before supplanting him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9darter View Post
Who would have expected Dubinsky to leapfrog Gomez and Drury to the first line last year?
My point is that he did not. Yes, he played with Jagr, but was still clearly our third best center. Again, I like the kid a lot. I just think he slots perfectly behind Gomez and Drury and ahead of Betts (on a Jagr-less team).

If Dubinsky outplays Drury at some point in the year, and we feel the need to shift one of them to wing, I would love to see Anisimov on the third line. Second line may just be going a little too far. Gutsy prediction, though. I like gutsy.

Kendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 08:16 AM
beastly115

It seems that this poll has become more of a depth chart than realistically what the lines will be.

Just because they're your best players, doesn't mean they should be playing together. Look at Jagr and Gomez last year. Not to mention if Drury is center, there will be no one on his line that can carry the puck. Drury needs a puck carrier to be useful.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 09:13 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaqup View Post
It seems that this poll has become more of a depth chart than realistically what the lines will be.

Just because they're your best players, doesn't mean they should be playing together. Look at Jagr and Gomez last year. Not to mention if Drury is center, there will be no one on his line that can carry the puck. Drury needs a puck carrier to be useful.
I think that's because a lot of people assume it's a depth chart, or they have the mentality that your first line should be full of your best players no matter what.

I've always though of Naslund as a shooter, not a set-up guy. As for Zherdev, even Hitchcock came out and said he thinks like a play maker and looks to pass first.

Dawes - Gomez - Naslund
??? - Drury - Zherdev
Fritsche - Dubi - Callahan
Voros - Betts - Rissmiller/Orr

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 09:17 AM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
This is my best guess:

Dawes - Gomez - Zherdev
Naslund - Drury - Korpikoski

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 09:28 AM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forechecker View Post
This is my best guess:

Dawes - Gomez - Zherdev
acutally those are pretty well balanced lines. I still don't think they are playoff caliber, but for what we have right now I think that might actually be the best combo I have seen so far.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 09:37 AM
Forechecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags225 View Post
acutally those are pretty well balanced lines. I still don't think they are playoff caliber, but for what we have right now I think that might actually be the best combo I have seen so far.
Here, I fixed them just for you Rags!

Dawes - Overpaid Smurf #1 - Zherdev
Naslund - Overpaid Smurf #2 - Korpikoski

Old
07-16-2008, 10:46 AM
SouvenirCity

I don't think putting all 3 big guns on the same line really makes a whole lot of sense in this situation.

Also with the Drury vs. Dubinsky argument, you need to also take into account that putting Drury with a player like Naslund (which will happen), will allow him to go back to his game of creeping around the net, and basically picking up the trash

I also would still like to to see Prucha over Dawes on the first line, and in turn we possibly trade dawes for a pick in next years draft, or package him with a few specs to get a truly premier winger

my line combinations (without the trading of Dawes) would be as follows:

Prucha - Gomez - Zherdez
Naslund - Drury - Korpedo
Dawes - Dubinsky - Fritsche
Voros/Rissmiller - Betts - Callahan

Yes ik Callahan is on the 4th line, but still the roadblock in wingers doesn't allow for optimum playing time for at least one player, hence the trading of Dawes

SouvenirCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 11:03 AM
You 'Orns!

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
Quote:
This is my best guess:

Dawes - Gomez - Zherdev
Wouldn't Näslund go on the right wing in the case of these lines?

007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 11:04 AM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfinkel1 View Post
How come I can't vote?
Have you sent me the voting fee via paypal yet?

Seriously, I think you need a minimum # of posts, or a certain amount of time as a member before you can vote in polls.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 11:34 AM
Fletch

Drury...

If Drury ends up being on the wing I'll be upset this team didn't go out last season and acquire a winger for Drury's money less what Cullen made plus whoever's spot that winger took.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 11:41 AM
Nich

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouvenirCity View Post
I don't think putting all 3 big guns on the same line really makes a whole lot of sense in this situation.

Also with the Drury vs. Dubinsky argument, you need to also take into account that putting Drury with a player like Naslund (which will happen), will allow him to go back to his game of creeping around the net, and basically picking up the trash

I also would still like to to see Prucha over Dawes on the first line, and in turn we possibly trade dawes for a pick in next years draft, or package him with a few specs to get a truly premier winger

my line combinations (without the trading of Dawes) would be as follows:

Prucha - Gomez - Zherdez
Naslund - Drury - Korpedo
Dawes - Dubinsky - Fritsche
Voros/Rissmiller - Betts - Callahan

Yes ik Callahan is on the 4th line, but still the roadblock in wingers doesn't allow for optimum playing time for at least one player, hence the trading of Dawes
good first idea....terrible second idea

dawes > prucha in terms of play and potential...

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 11:46 AM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Here, I fixed them just for you Rags!

Dawes - Overpaid Smurf #1 - Zherdev
Naslund - Overpaid Smurf #2 - Korpikoski
thanks buddy.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 11:59 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
If Drury ends up being on the wing I'll be upset this team didn't go out last season and acquire a winger for Drury's money less what Cullen made plus whoever's spot that winger took.
I think people are assuming Drury will move to the wing based on that Brooks article that said Sundin was in the cards and Drury would be moved to wing to make room.

However, I don't see Sundin in the picture for this team anymore. I think we'll see some assets moved for a serviceable winger with a salary of less than 3 mil for at least one or two more seasons. It'd be nice to get one with some size and grit, but I don't think that's going to be a certainty.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 12:27 PM
Forechecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags225 View Post
thanks buddy.
I got your six, man,

Old
07-16-2008, 01:08 PM
FromDubiToZherdev*

Send a message via AIM to FromDubiToZherdev* Send a message via MSN to FromDubiToZherdev*
Dawes - Gomez - Zherdev
Naslund - Drury - Prucha
Fritsche/Korpikoski - Dubi - Callahan

FromDubiToZherdev* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 01:16 PM
Nich

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromGomezToZherdev View Post
Dawes - Gomez - Zherdev
Naslund - Drury - Prucha
Fritsche/Korpikoski - Dubi - Callahan
i like it....but i bet rissmiller or voros ends up in hartford and sjostrom plays on the left side of blair.

but thats assuming blair doesn't get traded...which i think is a possibility.

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 01:23 PM
FromDubiToZherdev*

Send a message via AIM to FromDubiToZherdev* Send a message via MSN to FromDubiToZherdev*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nich View Post
i like it....but i bet rissmiller or voros ends up in hartford and sjostrom plays on the left side of blair.

but thats assuming blair doesn't get traded...which i think is a possibility.
I think Rismmiller may go down to Hartford. Apparently, Voros received tons of praise from Lemaire in Minny. Imagine Voros and Orr on the same line together

If I remember correctly, Prucha played with Drury, right? I also think splitting Dawes from Gomez will cease is development.

FromDubiToZherdev* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 01:29 PM
Fletch

Prucha and Drury...

were a disaster. Prucha with Dubi and Cally, however, looked pretty good.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 03:10 PM
9darter
Soft Euro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
were a disaster. Prucha with Dubi and Cally, however, looked pretty good.
Fletch, please don't put part of sentences in the title. Makes quotes like the above pretty pointless, doesn't it?
Anyway, Prucha+Drury may not have worked that well last time, doesn't mean they should never play together again.
Remember that it also depends on the situation in which they play, their third linemate, and not least the instructions they receive from the coach at the time.
I honestly don't remember Prucha+Drury playing together last season. Please remind me, why was it a disaster?

9darter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 03:46 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaqup View Post

When you think about it is has to be. More people are likely to agree on who is the most talented player at a given position, than will agree on which line combos will work the best. So it's just easier to pick the best player available.

And shouldn't this round be over?

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote