HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

Nice Article on Doug Murray

Closed Thread

Old
06-09-2004, 03:34 PM
Kevin Wey

vCash: 500
Talking with Players: You certainly have the objectivity of an unattached non-Baron PR journalist. I bet Doug Murray himself would take far less offense to my suggestions on working with a power skating instructor than you are on his behalf. At least if Murray as the same respect for power skating instruction as I do. I see Yuro (Yurichuk) work with playes on it all the time. (He's an excellent instructor, although he has a tendency to create complicated drills )

It's too bad for you I've actually followed Modry's career, because he played 41 games for the Devils as a 22-year-old, after a year in the AHL. And he was a regular in 95-96 with the Ottawa Senators and then LA. It took him a while to become what he was, but I think you're off basis comparing Murray to Modry.

Well, I'm not going to change what I said. I would be more encouraged about Murray's development if I heard we was going to work with a power skating instructor/school. I think that'd be one of the most efficient ways for Murray to continue to improve his game. If it's necessary to calm you down, I'll list a few other Barons I'd like to see work with power skating instructors. The only other Baron who has any shot to play in the NHL though that I'd like to see work with a power skating instructor is Clowe. And his skating has also improved a lot since major juniors, but you can always get better. Just like Cheechoo could improve his agility just a little more. Neither Cheechoo or Clowe are BAD skaters. Obviously Mulick needs a lot of work on his stride. In honesty though, guys like Mulick and Levesque don't have a real future with San Jose/Cleveland, and Bootland doesn't with the Sharks, although hopefully he has a future with Cleveland. Add Yuri Moscevsky to that list too. (Most all fighters need work on stuff like this if they're to become more than fighters.)

A lot of skating comes down to work in the gym too. Power skating has to be in conjunction with weightlifting and plyometrics in the gym. (A lot of people consider it all as part of power skating...) Murray's leg strength is probably good, but plyometrics could improve his quickness, along with a lot of power skating drills.

Old
06-09-2004, 03:41 PM
X-SHARKIE

Send a message via AIM to X-SHARKIE
I saw a picture of Milan Michalek in shorts.

HOLY ***** His calves and thighs were huge. BIG BIG Legs.

Old
06-09-2004, 06:10 PM
Mr Brownstone

Send a message via AIM to Mr Brownstone Send a message via MSN to Mr Brownstone Send a message via Yahoo to Mr Brownstone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Wey
Talking with Players: You certainly have the objectivity of an unattached non-Baron PR journalist. I bet Doug Murray himself would take far less offense to my suggestions on working with a power skating instructor than you are on his behalf. At least if Murray as the same respect for power skating instruction as I do. I see Yuro (Yurichuk) work with playes on it all the time. (He's an excellent instructor, although he has a tendency to create complicated drills )
He wouldn't have to take offense. I don't think Murray would take your *****. Especially about what's best for his career. Seeing as though you're a college student in Iowa, I don't think he'd appreciate your input.

Quote:
It's too bad for you I've actually followed Modry's career, because he played 41 games for the Devils as a 22-year-old, after a year in the AHL. And he was a regular in 95-96 with the Ottawa Senators and then LA. It took him a while to become what he was, but I think you're off basis comparing Murray to Modry.
41 games is half a season. That doesn't show me that he was established at 22. I'm more saying he's a number two defenseman that isn't flashy, much like Murray can become. It wasn't comparing their styles of play. Modry is far more offensive than Murray. My point was that Modry's a number two defenseman who isn't a superstar. He quietly goes about his business and is relatively unknown in the hockey world as a #2.

Quote:
Well, I'm not going to change what I said. I would be more encouraged about Murray's development if I heard we was going to work with a power skating instructor/school. I think that'd be one of the most efficient ways for Murray to continue to improve his game. If it's necessary to calm you down, I'll list a few other Barons I'd like to see work with power skating instructors. The only other Baron who has any shot to play in the NHL though that I'd like to see work with a power skating instructor is Clowe. And his skating has also improved a lot since major juniors, but you can always get better. Just like Cheechoo could improve his agility just a little more. Neither Cheechoo or Clowe are BAD skaters. Obviously Mulick needs a lot of work on his stride. In honesty though, guys like Mulick and Levesque don't have a real future with San Jose/Cleveland, and Bootland doesn't with the Sharks, although hopefully he has a future with Cleveland. Add Yuri Moscevsky to that list too. (Most all fighters need work on stuff like this if they're to become more than fighters.)
Wow, we finally agree on something. Mulick and Levesque are both bad hockey players. Levesque doesn't even have a stride. It's more like a wounded bird trying to walk.

As for Clowe: He's just got a thicker build and that's why his acceleration isn't top of the line. You could say some power skating drills could help him. But he was one of Cleveland's more consistent guys in all aspects of the game, so I can look past his shortcomings in acceleration.

Quote:
A lot of skating comes down to work in the gym too. Power skating has to be in conjunction with weightlifting and plyometrics in the gym. (A lot of people consider it all as part of power skating...) Murray's leg strength is probably good, but plyometrics could improve his quickness, along with a lot of power skating drills.
Thanks Doc.

Old
06-09-2004, 06:17 PM
Serena587

Quote:
Add Yuri Moscevsky to that list too. (Most all fighters need work on stuff like this if they're to become more than fighters.)
Just to throw in a comment here, I actually think that there's more to Yuri than just being a fighter/enforcer. I think he's done an excellent job fulfilling the role he's been given, but I think if he'd be allowed to explore other areas, he'd excel at those, too. I think there's more to Yuri than meets the eye, and I had hoped to see him getting more ice time when he picked up a few points at the beginning of last season.

Old
06-09-2004, 08:18 PM
X-SHARKIE

My Belogni has a first name....It's H O M E R...My belogni has a second name it's H O M E R.

Old
06-09-2004, 08:47 PM
Patty Ice
Best in the World

Send a message via AIM to Patty Ice Send a message via MSN to Patty Ice
Quote:
Originally Posted by X-SHARKIE
My Belogni has a first name....It's H O M E R...My belogni has a second name it's H O M E R.
nice Simpson quote

06-09-2004, 09:18 PM
X-SHARKIE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hero of Tragedy
nice Simpson quote

Man I loved that episode...Remember the doll was set to evil? LOL!

I like where he shoots Zombie Flanders and Bart goes....Dad you just killed zombie flanders...Homer replies.."he was a zombie?"

Old
06-09-2004, 10:01 PM
sharkyz15

Send a message via AIM to sharkyz15 Send a message via Yahoo to sharkyz15
Quote:
Originally Posted by X-SHARKIE
Man I loved that episode...Remember the doll was set to evil? LOL!

I like where he shoots Zombie Flanders and Bart goes....Dad you just killed zombie flanders...Homer replies.."he was a zombie?"

"I only care about M.E.
my enjoyment."

Old
06-10-2004, 11:46 AM
Kevin Wey

Adam Burke: Unofficial Cleveland Barons Truth Detector.

"Do you work for the Barons?"

"Not officially."

That's all you are. If you detect anyone that disagrees with your opinion on anything Barons you find it your mission/responsibility to set it right and make sure everyone agrees with you. I start with a harmless statement that I wish Murray was taking power skating school, and you just blow up, having taking it upon yourself to be Doug Murray's defender, finding offense when none was intended, but you walk on egg shells because God forbid ANYONE ever criticize a Baron you like. Which is all the more ridiculous when you admit certain aspects about his skating could be improved. It's not my fault you find offense on behalf of Doug Murray any time I criticize him. Have you noticed I criticize EVERY Shark prospect?

If I compliment any Baron on ANYTHING that Adam Burke doesn't like, the volcano explodes. Compliment Zalesak's skill when I mentioned NOTHING about his work ethic, and in comes wrath of Adam Burke against Zalesak. How dare I compliment Zalesak on ANYTHING. You are not allowed to compliment Zalesak's skill level because he plays soft. Mention Marcel Goc would only play due to injuries, and then does, suddenly my German bias has switched to an agenda against Marcel Goc...

The only two Barons anyone can criticize is Mulick and Levesque. And only somebody who sees the Barons 41 games can criticize anyone else, which they never do. Of course, nobody who makes sure to see 41 games of an AHL hockey team, when hardly anyone else in the city goes, is ever going to be a homer. Getting you to criticize a favorite Baron is like getting the Chicago Blackhawks announcers on FSN Chicago to admit a call against the Hawks was warranted.

I should start becoming the Unofficial Mulick and Levesque Defender, and lay into anyone who criticizes those two, because they both are players with good work ethics and that I admire their efforts more than the person criticizing them because I don't see them working hard to become a professional hockey player. I could start off on a whole "Levesque played for Team USA at the WJC's" and go from there to immunize him from all criticism, and if you do criticize him, you're a cockapoopoo.

Modry: Played in the NHL All-Star Game. So if you don't count his half season, how about the Ottawa LA season? No no, 71 games...No matter what I say you're going to find some reason for why Doug Murray is the next Robyn Regehr, or whoever.

There needs to be a color "Doug Murray," so we can make a pair of glasses shaded in that color.

Maybe a better analysis of this is that Adam suffers from Big Brother Syndrome. He can beat up on his little brother all he wants, but if you criticize his little brother, whoa be it to you.

I hate this, I hate how it now appears that I don't like a player who I'd heralded since his days at Cornell. But I'm not myopic. Even with Ehrhoff I'm not myopic: he needs to gain 20 pounds of muscle to help him win battles in the corners and around the net. Well I NEVER!!! Christian Ehrhoff has worked very hard to put on muscle and you're unqualified to criticize Ehrhoff because you don't live next door to Christian monitoring his every move and you don't understand the difficulties swtiching from German cuisine to American has on your digestive tract...

I criticize EVERY Shark prospect, it's what I'm supposed to do for HF, otherwise the Sharks page would look like some other jokes where everybody is above a 6.0 when 79% of all draft picks never play more than 200 NHL games. (That's from research done by Simon Richard.)

Last edited by Kevin Wey: 06-10-2004 at 11:52 AM.
Old
06-10-2004, 03:25 PM
Mr Brownstone

Send a message via AIM to Mr Brownstone Send a message via MSN to Mr Brownstone Send a message via Yahoo to Mr Brownstone
As far as I'm concerned, your power skating school comment was ignorant. That's why I said something about it. It certainly sounded to me like you were shrugging off any improvement and that you weren't impressed whatsoever by Murray. And you're damn right I'm going to protect my players because I see them and you don't. My personal bias as being a fan of Doug Murray is a pretty weak excuse for you not being able to comprehend that our opinions differ. That's the issue here Kevin. You can sit there and flap your gums all you want about how I talk about the players. That's not up for you to decide. I guess you can only have free speech until Kevin Wey comes around. Kevin, if you're such a *****ing expert, why are you writing for Hockey's Future? Why aren't you a scout yourself then Kevin? Why? Do I work for the Barons? No I don't. Do I know them better than you? Yes I do. So that little comment doesn't hold water.

How am I supposed to know that no offense was intended? It sure as hell didn't sound like it to me. Seeing as though I'm fighting the uphill alone battle here because Kevin Wey appears to be god on this message board, I've got a few things to say. You have absolutely no right to pass judgement on the Barons by seeing one game, or following them before they got here. You want to voice your opinions, fine. But you don't try and prove wrong somebody more knowledgeable about the team and its players' performance. Zalesak's skill doesn't mean a damn thing. He's still in the AHL. So big deal on his skill. Goc should have been in SJ all along. Your boy Curtis Brown played like ***** and Goc didn't. Plain and simple. Goc should have been in SJ since midseason. Did injuries play a part, of course they did. But break down every shift like you're god Kevin. Give me a break. 21 year old kids do make mistakes, but Goc didn't seem to make any to me. And you know I watched closely, since I'm such an avid Barons supporter and that appears to be a crime to you.

You can criticize more than Mulick and Levesque. I've criticized Rissmiller. I've talked about Ehrhoff. I've criticized Carkner until he began playing well at the end of the season. The last time I criticized somebody without seeing enough of them was Shane Joseph, and he proved me completely wrong. As for the Mulick/Levesque debate, the work ethic may be there. But the skill isn't. The opposite of Zalesak. The work ethic only gets you so far, much like skill. You can defend them if you want, I frankly don't care.

This is the difference. You can't criticize Kevin, but he can criticize everyone else. Like I said, Kevin Wey is god on this board. Someone's opinion differs, because Kevin Wey leaves something open for interpretation and now he has to cover his own ass by retracting statements and making his "Big Brother" comments. I don't protect players to protect them. I protect players who have earned it. Doug Murray has earned it, Miroslav Zalesak has not. I have not written off Ehrhoff yet. He has the ability to become a very good NHL defenseman, however I point out what he needs to work on and only now does Kevin Wey listen to me.

You criticize every Shark prospect based on stats. You don't see what each and every Baron does in every shift. I look for that, you don't. It's funny how you just shrug me off, as if I don't know what I'm talking about. Lou Piniella (Tampa Bay Devil Rays Manager for those who don't know) had a great quote. He said "Statistics are like a bikini. They show a lot, but not everything." That's my point Kevin. Thats why I hate the HF prospect rating system. You can't base it on stats. That's what's done. Hell, I bet you didn't even ask for Karen's input on the Barons in the top 20, because she would know something. It's Kevin's way or no way. Even if he isn't informed. You think I'm just protecting players? Karen has no obvious bias to Doug Murray. Why not ask her what she thinks? No. Because god forbid Kevin Wey be outnumbered in an opinion. That's the true joke of your character. You know, for someone who seems intelligent like you do, the best way to gain intelligence is by the opinions of others. But you don't like that, so you don't accept the opinions of the two people who would best know the Barons prospects for what they are NOW. Not the past...NOW. Keep being superior to the lesser folk, the younger and the opposite gender Kevin. Makes you a real big man. Big enough to stand behind your statements anyway.

Old
06-10-2004, 05:29 PM
Serena587

Quote:
The only two Barons anyone can criticize is Mulick and Levesque. And only somebody who sees the Barons 41 games can criticize anyone else, which they never do. Of course, nobody who makes sure to see 41 games of an AHL hockey team, when hardly anyone else in the city goes, is ever going to be a homer. Getting you to criticize a favorite Baron is like getting the Chicago Blackhawks announcers on FSN Chicago to admit a call against the Hawks was warranted.
I realize that this thread no longer has anything to do with Doug Murray and has become "The Official Kevin Hates Adam/Adam Hates Kevin Thread", but I'd like to know what your comments about Barons fans have to do with the subject at hand. How many people in the city of Cleveland go to games is completely irrelevant, and furthermore, the fans who DO go to see 40 games a season (as the AHL only has 80 games in regular season play) ARE the fans who know hockey in Cleveland.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinWey
There needs to be a color "Doug Murray," so we can make a pair of glasses shaded in that color.

Maybe a better analysis of this is that Adam suffers from Big Brother Syndrome. He can beat up on his little brother all he wants, but if you criticize his little brother, whoa be it to you.
As far as these comments go (and I know they are directed towards Adam, BUT), damn right some of us feel the need to act this way! Do you think these guys take the time to get to know each and every fan who walks through the doors of Gund Arena? Certainly not! They're only in Cleveland as they develop their skills and move on to the show, not to become social butterflies. So if it seems as though we know a little more about the players, it's because we take the time to get to know them as people, too. They appreciate this, and they then know us as fans who support them, as well as fans who know about the game, and there ARE more than 12 of us at games. So I suppose this means I suffer from Big Sister Syndrome, as well?

Old
06-10-2004, 06:12 PM
SpinTheBlackCircle
Global Moderator
Life as a Sharks fan

This thread sucks. Really does.

Old
06-10-2004, 06:27 PM
majicpixie

Send a message via ICQ to majicpixie Send a message via AIM to majicpixie Send a message via MSN to majicpixie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild GM
This thread sucks. Really does.
Thank you for your informative contribution!

Old
06-10-2004, 06:30 PM
SpinTheBlackCircle
Global Moderator
Life as a Sharks fan

Well, I'm not wearing my, "I know you are, but what am I?", shirt today.

Such a petty arguement. They actually AGREE on the fact that Murray needs power skating, the point Kevin made!!!!

Old
06-10-2004, 06:33 PM
Serena587

Quote:
Well, I'm not wearing my, "I know you are, but what am I?", shirt today.

Such a petty arguement. They actually AGREE on the fact that Murray needs power skating, the point Kevin made!!!!
The main point of this stinking thread is that I read an article that I liked and wanted to share it....see if I ever decide to share again!!

Old
06-10-2004, 06:35 PM
SpinTheBlackCircle
Global Moderator
Life as a Sharks fan

That is true....and it was a good article. (In fact, the Swedish list here linked to your post of it)

Old
06-10-2004, 06:36 PM
Serena587

Quote:
That is true....and it was a good article. (In fact, the Swedish list here linked to your post of it)
Well, I'm glad someone liked it!

Old
06-10-2004, 06:42 PM
Patty Ice
Best in the World

Send a message via AIM to Patty Ice Send a message via MSN to Patty Ice
Ok this rapidly turned into a female dog thread so I'm closing up shop. Both points were made and nothing more to the topic at hand is being presented. Take any further discussion on the matter to PM. Anyone who has a problem with this decision should PM me and let me know.

Closed Thread