HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Line ideas

Old
07-16-2008, 08:24 AM
soldmysoul2rocknroll

vCash: 500
Forwards
Gagne - Briere - Knuble
Hartnell - Richards - Lupul
Upshall - Carter - Giroux
Cote - Metro - Asham

extra - Downie (he's a season away from being full time)

Notes - There is no way Giroux doesn't make this team this year, and no way Cote doesn't play a regualar shift, he earned it last year.
Barring a trade, Knuble seems like a likely trade bait for salary reasons but not sure how difficult it would be to move him. In the event he's traded I feel Hartnell should take his place. Upshall moves up and Downie gets more ice-time.

Defence
Timonen - Coburn
Eminger - Jones
Vaananen - Kukkonen

I just don't see Hatcher playing a full-time role, he will most likely be placed on LITR and used for a playoff run.
I'm not to kean on the defence, but reserve judgement until I see the likes of Eminger and Vaananen play consitently.

soldmysoul2rocknroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 08:56 AM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by soldmysoul2rocknroll View Post
Forwards
Gagne - Briere - Knuble
Cote - Metro - Asham

Notes - There is no way Giroux doesn't make this team this year, and no way Cote doesn't play a regualar shift, he earned it last year.
Barring a trade, Knuble seems like a likely trade bait for salary reasons but not sure how difficult it would be to move him. In the event he's traded I feel Hartnell should take his place. Upshall moves up and Downie gets more ice-time.

Defence
Timonen - Coburn
Eminger - Jones
Vaananen - Kukkonen

I just don't see Hatcher playing a full-time role, he will most likely be placed on LITR and used for a playoff run.
I'm not to kean on the defence, but reserve judgement until I see the likes of Eminger and Vaananen play consitently.
Knuble can not play with Briere. Watching 2-3 games last year clearly shows that.

I would switch him with either Harntell, Giroux or Lupul.

Also, Eminger and Jones are the same player and Kukkonen and Vaananen are basically the same player, should split those two pairings.

Otherwise, I like where you are headed.

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 10:35 AM
Richyrich

Quote:
Forwards
Gagne - Briere - Knuble
Cote - Metro - Asham

Defence
Timonen - Coburn
Eminger - Jones
Vaananen - Kukkonen

I love your forward setup. 3 potential first lines there. I may switch knuble and Hartnell, however. I feel Hartnell would do a better job of protecting Briere and Gagne and mucking in the corners.

Your defensive pairings are alright, except i don't see Kukks getting too much time unless there is an injury (not that he doesn't deserve to play). Here's how i see it playing out (and somewhat hope)

Timmonen-Coburn
Eminger-Parent
Vannanen/Kukkonen-Jones/Kukkonen

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr View Post
Knuble can not play with Briere. Watching 2-3 games last year clearly shows that.

I would switch him with either Harntell, Giroux or Lupul.

Also, Eminger and Jones are the same player and Kukkonen and Vaananen are basically the same player, should split those two pairings.

Otherwise, I like where you are headed.
Except Eminger has much more upside than Jones. If you pair Eminger with a solid D-man and give him some good coaching (rico anyone?) could wind up being Coburn #2

Richyrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 11:41 AM
mm6492

Gagne - Briere - Hartnell
Giroux- Richards - Lupul
Upshall - Carter - Knuble
Cote - Metro - Asham

seems ok if Knuble is still here
if/when we trade him

Downie- Richards - Lupul
Cote - Metro - Asham

which I personally would love to see

mm6492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 01:09 PM
soldmysoul2rocknroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richyrich View Post
I love your forward setup. 3 potential first lines there. I may switch knuble and Hartnell, however. I feel Hartnell would do a better job of protecting Briere and Gagne and mucking in the corners.

Your defensive pairings are alright, except i don't see Kukks getting too much time unless there is an injury (not that he doesn't deserve to play). Here's how i see it playing out (and somewhat hope)

Timmonen-Coburn
Eminger-Parent

Except Eminger has much more upside than Jones. If you pair Eminger with a solid D-man and give him some good coaching (rico anyone?) could wind up being Coburn #2

Ya, like i said not sure with the defense. It's really a log jam of non 1-2 defense men beyound Timonen and Coburn, the only thing that bothers me would be justifing paying Jones 2.75 mil a season and them giving him 3 pairing time.
and btw i'm super excited about Eminger, I hope he pans out.

Old
07-16-2008, 01:15 PM
mikedifr

Quote:

Timmonen-Coburn
Eminger-Parent

I definitely agree Eminger has much more upside than Jones...I was really just talking from a style standpoint, I rather have the puck rusher paired with someone who is more defensive.

Old
07-16-2008, 01:28 PM
bodangleroo28

Downie- Richards - Lupul
Cote - Metro - Asham

which I personally would love to see[/QUOTE]

I would want Hartnell and Lupul switched here, downie richie hartnell worked so good last year when they were togethere

bodangleroo28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 11:18 PM
DickTony

i'd like to see...

gagne-briere-giroux
hartnell-richards-lupol
upshall-carter-knuble
cote/asham-metro-downie or cote-metro-asham (downie on the phantoms instead of sitting on the bench and playing 4th line minutes for the flyers)

timonen-coburn
eminger-parent
jones-vannanen/kukkonen

DickTony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2008, 03:57 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

I'll try my luck at the lines:

Gagne - Richards - Lupul
Hartnell - Briere - Giroux
Cote - Metropolit - Asham

Defense:

Coburn - Vaananen
Timonen - Eminger
Jones - Parent
Kukkonen

I have Downie going back to the AHL to address his skating deficiencies. Once his skating is up to par, he'll be back on the big roster. I also like Gagne on the wing with Richards and Lupul. Lupul proved he can be a banger and Gagne won't have to worry about getting run over. He's also got a playmaker in Richards and Gagne can be used in a more offensive role and not really have to worry about being the defensive conscience on the line.

I love the 2nd line. I'm not a fan of Hartnell, but having him on that line with Giroux and Briere is going to be a lot of fun. I think Giroux really compliments Briere and Hartnell is going to score a ton of garbage goals as a result of the two. Giroux is probably the fastest skater on the line and his defensive presence will allow Briere the room to be creative and not have to worry about missing defensive assignments.

The 3rd line is an interesting mix. You've got Carter and Upshall who are two burners and you've got Knuble, the veteran who's beginning to slow down. He's exactly what Carter and Upshall need because they're so quick to force the play that now, they'll force the play to come to them. I think slowing the game down a bit is what Carter and Upshall need to become better players.

The fourth line is a line that might just surprise people. Cote has really improved his overall game. He'll never be a big producer, but he isn't a liability on the ice. Metropolit is a versatile forward and Asham is a true energy player that can also chuck the knuckles. I don't expect this line to be an offensive line, but I think we can get a good solid 10 minutes a night from this line.

As for the defense, I think Stevens and company start the experiment of splitting up Timonen and Coburn so that they can help get others up to speed. As well, in the case of Coburn, he'll be given more of an opportunity to contribute offensive with Vaananen looking after the defensive side of things. As for Timonen, he becomes a mentor to Eminger, who never had a mentor in Washington. I think Eminger really blossoms and benefits from this. Finally, we find a way to work Parent into the lineup and Kukkonen is our 7th defenseman. As for Hatcher, he's gone no matter what.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2008, 10:15 AM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyer6 View Post
Downie- Richards - Lupul
Cote - Metro - Asham

which I personally would love to see
I would want Hartnell and Lupul switched here, downie richie hartnell worked so good last year when they were togethere[/QUOTE]

I would LOVE to see Hartnell/Richie/Downie together, but this is assuming Knuble is moved or on the 4th line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
I'll try my luck at the lines:

Gagne - Richards - Lupul
Hartnell - Briere - Giroux
Cote - Metropolit - Asham

Defense:

Coburn - Vaananen
Timonen - Eminger
Jones - Parent
Kukkonen

I have Downie going back to the AHL to address his skating deficiencies. Once his skating is up to par, he'll be back on the big roster. I also like Gagne on the wing with Richards and Lupul. Lupul proved he can be a banger and Gagne won't have to worry about getting run over. He's also got a playmaker in Richards and Gagne can be used in a more offensive role and not really have to worry about being the defensive conscience on the line.

I love the 2nd line. I'm not a fan of Hartnell, but having him on that line with Giroux and Briere is going to be a lot of fun. I think Giroux really compliments Briere and Hartnell is going to score a ton of garbage goals as a result of the two. Giroux is probably the fastest skater on the line and his defensive presence will allow Briere the room to be creative and not have to worry about missing defensive assignments.

The 3rd line is an interesting mix. You've got Carter and Upshall who are two burners and you've got Knuble, the veteran who's beginning to slow down. He's exactly what Carter and Upshall need because they're so quick to force the play that now, they'll force the play to come to them. I think slowing the game down a bit is what Carter and Upshall need to become better players.

The fourth line is a line that might just surprise people. Cote has really improved his overall game. He'll never be a big producer, but he isn't a liability on the ice. Metropolit is a versatile forward and Asham is a true energy player that can also chuck the knuckles. I don't expect this line to be an offensive line, but I think we can get a good solid 10 minutes a night from this line.

As for the defense, I think Stevens and company start the experiment of splitting up Timonen and Coburn so that they can help get others up to speed. As well, in the case of Coburn, he'll be given more of an opportunity to contribute offensive with Vaananen looking after the defensive side of things. As for Timonen, he becomes a mentor to Eminger, who never had a mentor in Washington. I think Eminger really blossoms and benefits from this. Finally, we find a way to work Parent into the lineup and Kukkonen is our 7th defenseman. As for Hatcher, he's gone no matter what.
I like your forward lines a lot actually. I think Gagne Richards Lupul would be great together, assuming Hartnell is more consistent offensively and Grioux is fully ready for the NHL to play with someone like Briere than it might just work. Upshall/Carter/Knuble was excellent last year and I think Downie could move into that Knuble spot eventually. 4th line is fine, I dont care so much about that anyway.

I dont know if I really like your defense though. I am fine with splitting up Timonen/Coburn, you can always just pair them up at the end of games when needed, however, a couple issues.

1) Timonen likes to play the other side, that was one of the reason's he and Smith did not work out very well. Not sure I want Eminger paired with Timonen cause you want Timonen out there against the other team's best players. Unfortunatley, Jones returning screws up what I would like to do but here is a what I am thinking.

If you keep Coburn/Timonen together

Coburn Timonen
Vaananen Eminger
Parent Jones
Kukkonen

If Eminger show he isnt better than Jones, they can always be switched.

What I would really like to see is:

Vaananen Timonen
Coburn Parent
Kukkonen Eminger

Parent/Vaananen can be switched if necessary but I see Coburn/Parent as our shut down pair in the next couple years.

Old
07-18-2008, 11:29 AM
Amateur Hour

I'm going to go out on a bit of a limb and say Matsumoto, if given the chance, makes the team out of training camp as the 4th line C. Depending on how he plays, maybe he'll get increased minutes as the season goes along.

So, I'll tweak my lines a bit...

Hartnell-Carter-Briere
Gagne-Richards-Lupul
Upshall-Metropolit-Knuble
Asham-Matsumoto-Cote

If Giroux makes the team out of camp (and, if he does, it'd have to be as one of the top-9, otherwise it's a waste), maybe we'll see something like the following. I'll also craft these lines with Briere remaining at C.

Gagne-Briere-Hartnell
Upshall-Richards-Lupul
Knuble-Carter-Giroux
Asham-Metropolit-Cote

Personally, as much as I hope Giroux makes the team out of camp as a top-9 forward, I like my first set of lines better overall (although, next to Briere, Giroux is who I'd most want to see on Carter's wing).

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2008, 12:51 PM
soldmysoul2rocknroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by socraticirony View Post
I'm going to go out on a bit of a limb and say Matsumoto, if given the chance, makes the team out of training camp as the 4th line C. Depending on how he plays, maybe he'll get increased minutes as the season goes along.

Hartnell-Carter-Briere
Gagne-Richards-Lupul
Asham-Matsumoto-Cote

If Giroux makes the team out of camp (and, if he does, it'd have to be as one of the top-9, otherwise it's a waste), maybe we'll see something like the following. I'll also craft these lines with Briere remaining at C.

Gagne-Briere-Hartnell
Upshall-Richards-Lupul
Knuble-Carter-Giroux
Asham-Metropolit-Cote

Personally, as much as I hope Giroux makes the team out of camp as a top-9 forward, I like my first set of lines better overall (although, next to Briere, Giroux is who I'd most want to see on Carter's wing).

I just don't see how Giroux doesn't make the team this year. I thought I remembered homer making a comment last year after camp that Giroux narrowly missed a spot... can't find the article yet but I'll keep searching.

Edit - found it this is a quote from Holmgrem on Giroux about last season.

"He was ready to play this year, we just didn't have a place for him," Holmgren said.Not a lot of teams in hockey -- the ones we are most familiar with -- can make a similar claim.

Link - http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Columnists...33901-sun.html

Last edited by soldmysoul2rocknroll: 07-18-2008 at 12:56 PM. Reason: added quote
Old
07-18-2008, 12:54 PM
mikedifr

Quote:

Hartnell-Carter-Briere
Gagne-Richards-Lupul
Asham-Matsumoto-Cote

Gagne-Briere-Hartnell
Upshall-Richards-Lupul
Knuble-Carter-Giroux
Asham-Metropolit-Cote

I went to a handful of Phantoms games last year and liked what I saw from Matsumoto. He reminds me a little of Sharp, but I think a little less offensive skill. I think he might be a year or two away but I see him being a 3rd or 4th line center in the NHL potentially.

Old
07-18-2008, 02:16 PM
Amateur Hour

Quote:
I just don't see how Giroux doesn't make the team this year. I thought I remembered homer making a comment last year after camp that Giroux narrowly missed a spot... can't find the article yet but I'll keep searching.

Edit - found it this is a quote from Holmgrem on Giroux about last season.

"He was ready to play this year, we just didn't have a place for him," Holmgren said.Not a lot of teams in hockey -- the ones we are most familiar with -- can make a similar claim.

Link - http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Columnists...33901-sun.html
I too fully expect Giroux to make this team as a regular top-9 contributor. I was just putting forth an alternate scenario in the event that he, for whatever reason, doesn't make the team out of camp.

Also, I'm just a fan of Matsumoto's game in general and am looking forward to his continued improvement. I expect him to be on the Flyers roster by 2009-2010 (at the latest), if not sooner. I anticipate he'll be a valuable, versatile bottom-6 forward, at the very least.

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2008, 09:55 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
I too fully expect Giroux to make this team as a regular top-9 contributor. I was just putting forth an alternate scenario in the event that he, for whatever reason, doesn't make the team out of camp.

Also, I'm just a fan of Matsumoto's game in general and am looking forward to his continued improvement. I expect him to be on the Flyers roster by 2009-2010 (at the latest), if not sooner. I anticipate he'll be a valuable, versatile bottom-6 forward, at the very least.
I think Matsumoto is probably the prospect with the best defensive game that I've ever seen. I swear, I see Jere Lehtinen in Matsumoto. Just wait till he makes the club. If we ever manager to find a Primeau type center, our checking line will be something of a nightmare to play against.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2008, 10:41 PM
poneill27

I like Scotty Upshall but I don't think he's in our plans after this year.Since we (suposedly) just signed Lupul to an extention, 4 yrs $4.25 mil per. In 09/10 Scotty will be in his last year of his contract at a very reasonable price at $1.25 mil but in my lines for that year he doesn't fit.

Gagne-Briere-Lupul (quick sniper line)

Hartnell-Richards-Downie (hate to play against this line)

Van Riemsdyk-Carter-Giroux (dangle,make you look dumb and score)

Cote-Metropolit-Asham (OUCH!)

What happens to Upshall?? I'm not sure. Traded for goalie prospect? Traded at draft ala Umberger? Either way...2009/2010 sure will be fun!

poneill27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 12:46 AM
Richyrich

Quote:
Originally Posted by poneill27 View Post
I like Scotty Upshall but I don't think he's in our plans after this year.Since we (suposedly) just signed Lupul to an extention, 4 yrs $4.25 mil per. In 09/10 Scotty will be in his last year of his contract at a very reasonable price at $1.25 mil but in my lines for that year he doesn't fit.

Gagne-Briere-Lupul (quick sniper line)

Hartnell-Richards-Downie (hate to play against this line)

Van Riemsdyk-Carter-Giroux (dangle,make you look dumb and score)

Cote-Metropolit-Asham (OUCH!)

What happens to Upshall?? I'm not sure. Traded for goalie prospect? Traded at draft ala Umberger? Either way...2009/2010 sure will be fun!

If we can sign him for cheap Upshall would still be a huge asset to this team. He would probably fit best on the 3rd line with Carter to make it a speed line and then move JVR up to play on Richard's wing (he'd be a great influence on JVR). But then Downie is out of the mix... Either way, this is an absolutely wonderful problem to have..

Old
07-19-2008, 02:16 AM
FlyLife
Nuthin but a G Thang

Quote:
If we can sign him for cheap Upshall would still be a huge asset to this team. He would probably fit best on the 3rd line with Carter to make it a speed line and then move JVR up to play on Richard's wing (he'd be a great influence on JVR). But then Downie is out of the mix... Either way, this is an absolutely wonderful problem to have..
Honestly I'd rather have Upshall than Downie. Hopefully Downie can change my mind, but there's nothing that Downie has showed me that he is more of important player to this team than Upshall. Upshall give his all every single night, is probably the quickest skater on the team, is a great person and shows it in interviews.

FlyLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 09:50 AM
Richyrich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff VanRichards View Post
Honestly I'd rather have Upshall than Downie. Hopefully Downie can change my mind, but there's nothing that Downie has showed me that he is more of important player to this team than Upshall. Upshall give his all every single night, is probably the quickest skater on the team, is a great person and shows it in interviews.
I would as well. A speedster like Upshall is much more valuable to a team than a Mucker like Downie. However, if Downie works on his skating and gets faster that could change as he has the better hands. But as it stands right now, Upshall is way too fast and too high energy to be considered less valuable imo. Upshall isn't bad in the corners or on the cycle down low either

Old
07-19-2008, 01:43 PM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Downie-Richards-Hartnell = Powerplay

Richards was something like the 7th best player in the league at drawing penalties (and Upshall is also up there.)

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 05:03 PM
mm6492

In 2 years

Gagne-Briere- Lupul
Hartnell-Richards- JvR
Giroux-Carter- Upshall

now, where to put downie......

mm6492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2008, 09:44 AM
chromemaro

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm6492 View Post
In 2 years

Gagne-Briere- Lupul
Hartnell-Richards- JvR
Giroux-Carter- Upshall

i dont think upshall will stay. Downie will need top 9 min, and that leaves upshall out of the mix. Besides he will most likely want more money than hes worth

chromemaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2008, 11:04 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by chromemaro View Post
i dont think upshall will stay. Downie will need top 9 min, and that leaves upshall out of the mix. Besides he will most likely want more money than hes worth
Downie will NEED top 9 minutes? DOwnie better earn them. Since when Downie is better then Upshall?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm6492 View Post
In 2 years

Gagne-Briere- Lupul
Hartnell-Richards- JvR
Giroux-Carter- Upshall

ewww

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2008, 11:23 AM
chromemaro

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
Downie will NEED top 9 minutes? DOwnie better earn them. Since when Downie is better then Upshall?
ewww

i was assuming he would earn them this season, which would leave upshall out when it comes time to re-sign him

chromemaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2008, 11:30 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by chromemaro View Post
i was assuming he would earn them this season, which would leave upshall out when it comes time to re-sign him
Earning or outplaying.. Two different things.

Downie is too slow for Carter as well as Briere but he fits nicely with Richards. No way he takes Lupuls spot.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote