HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Shanny rumors persist

Old
07-16-2008, 12:04 AM
NYR Viper

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIRoyals7794 View Post
Betts instead of Naslund? I dont think so.

Yeah I would like to see Korps get a shot and see how he does, but Shanahan we know can still get goals and has a good influence on the young guys. He also has a positive influence in the locker room.
i knew i was forgetting someone.....lol.....but all i was saying is that there are guys who are good leaders that the rangers dont need to go out and get a player to take a spot who is only a leader and not a positive player all around

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 12:07 AM
tdawg56

Can we stop with Shanny, he is done finished finito. He has no place in this league anymore. He is cone figure on the ice. If you didnt see Pitt skate circles around him then we have issues. Him and Jagr destroyed the power play all year because it was set up only for them and everyone and their mother knew it.

tdawg56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 12:17 AM
Unk

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIRoyals7794 View Post
Betts instead of Naslund? I dont think so.

Yeah I would like to see Korps get a shot and see how he does, but Shanahan we know can still get goals and has a good influence on the young guys. He also has a positive influence in the locker room.
But the team isn't lacking in good locker room guys. They need players who can play the system, and Shanahan is too slow to be able to do that. The overabundance of bottom-6 forwards might already prevent some deserving prospects from getting a chance, and Shanahan doesn't help.

I feel like signing Shanny is one of those dumb moves, signing a vet for no clear purpose, where a younger, cheaper, more able player could fill in the same role.

Unk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 01:15 AM
McMonster

whatever... I'll take him back

I'm not expecting much production from him but we lost some leaders in the lockerroom so hopefully he can help in a leadership sense...

and also, I might get one more year of use out of my Shanahan jersey..

McMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 01:25 AM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtones520 View Post
I dont know why you Rangers fans wouldnt want to bring back one of the best locker room presences in the league, one of the best leaders in the league and a guy who is still capable of a 25-25-50 season. Yeah he may not have the same jump in his step as he used to, but as a 3rd line/PP type guy there isnt many better guys out there. You have the room to sign him, I dont know why you wouldnt.

Just out of curiosity, would you want him back on the Wings?

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 01:31 AM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
True, but still one of my favorite hockey sweaters of all time.

Those Sweaters were nice.

If Hartford could have sustained a team winning or other wise they would still be up there. As much as Hartford has grown the past 8 to 10 years it's still amongst the smalliest cities in the Country.

I remember going up there for the 1st time in the early 80's the city was somthing like 8 square blocks big

Thats not a major metropolis city, thats more like a mom & pop neighborhood. It's population is barly 125,00 people, it just could not surport the team by itself, it needed the help of the sourounding communites which was still not enough, so what happens ownership pulls back & holds onto the money, the fanbase suffers & shrinks. How is that Shanny's fault??

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 02:13 AM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
I don't quite think having Shanahan will be the destructive force that many of you do.

Remind me, did Detroit just win the Stanley Cup with Holmstrom, Drake, McCarty in their lineup every night or not?

Rangers Unlimited
Hockey Graphs
Brian Boyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 05:21 AM
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie

Send a message via Yahoo to Sad London Ranger
Quote:
Originally Posted by PukkuMikku View Post
If he is indeed brought back for one more year, I wouldn't play him above the third line.

Drury - Gomez - Zherdev
Dawes - Dubinsky - Naslund
Korpikoski - Anisimov - Shanahan
Fritsche - Betts - Callahan/Sjostrom
sorry I don't see this line up making playoffs...

Sad London Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 07:03 AM
Cake or Death

I'm not grasping some of the hate on Shanny posts in here. Last season, he played over 18 minutes a game, killed penalties, was 4th on the team in scoring, second in goals, second in PP goals, and scored 5 times in shootouts (tied for 5th in the league). To dismiss what he did last year - when he was one of only three guys on the team to crack 20 goals, and one of two to crack 10 PPGs - seems a bit forgetful. And while he may have been a bit off after the injury, for all we know he may have come back too soon to try to help the team win (which is honestly what it looked like).

It's possible he might not be an ideal fit due to the log jam we have at the bottom 6 or a desire to move in a new direction. On the flip side, we were in the bottom third in goals and PP production last season, so he might be a smart fit on third line and PP, as many have suggested.

Cake or Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 10:57 AM
Turambar

I really can't understand how so many of you want this guy back, again. His so-called "hometown discount" salary from last year is already eating into our cap space for this year.

How quickly we all forget how utterly useless Shanahan was in the playoffs only a few months ago.

The ironic part is that I'm sure many of those now advocating the signing of Shanahan are the same people who, only weeks ago, were advocating not signing Jagr so that this team could be handed over to Drury & Gomez. Signing Shanahan prevents that from happening. If you're gonna turn the page, don't turn it halfway, either turn it all the way or don't turn it at all. If you only turn it halfway, you can't see what's on either side. The Rangers have been given a major face-lift and personality change in the last few weeks, and signing Shanahan is proof of the fear the team has of moving in the right direction, of making the hard (but correct) decisions. He no longer fits into the team system, which is supposedly going to be based on speed and puck-possession.

And for anyone who says, "bring him back in a limited role!", give me a break, please. We all know that Shanahan would spend maybe two periods on the 3rd of 4th line, then once push came to shove, he'd be right back up in the top six, killing penalties, the whole thing. And to boot, he's blocking some rookie who, as we speak, is working his ass off to make the team in September. Something tells me Shanny isn't home training or getting ready for next season.

As for the leadership thing, Rodent made some great points in his recent rant, I suggest you all take a look. Here's a sample:

Quote:
But when someone with experience is unilaterally thrust into an existing dynamic with expectations of leadership - such as Messier was in the summer of 2000 - what you get is a brew which could possibly percolate... or just as easily explode.

So spare me and the rest of us your claims based upon the leadership attribute. If you wish to convince me an athlete with more than 100,000 miles on his engine is a good investment, you'd better do it with a more compelling argument than "leadership" because that justification is nothing more than a crap-shoot.
http://hockeyrodent.com/RODENT.HTM

Turambar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 12:01 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdawg56 View Post
Can we stop with Shanny, he is done finished finito. He has no place in this league anymore. He is cone figure on the ice. If you didnt see Pitt skate circles around him then we have issues. Him and Jagr destroyed the power play all year because it was set up only for them and everyone and their mother knew it.
agreed they will not resign him.........he will likely play another yr as it seems he wants too and someone will pick him up.........If Chicago clears cap space with the rumored 3 team deal that would be a REAL good pickup for them to help the kids

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 12:16 PM
NotAloneJustBlue

Uh, when was Shanny ever fast?

It is plainly obvious that a lot of posters have simply regurgitated the hockeyrodent post about bringing players in solely for their "leadership". Fair enough.

It just seems kind of comical that no one seems to remember his contributions to the team last year but, then again, there are many experts here who know that Shanny is the final piece to scuttle so the current roster can win the cup or at least do way better than we have done because now we don't have people like Jagr destroying chemistry and forcing his will on Renney and we won't have to worry about Shanny and his zero skill putting in the odd goal. I really think that with Zherdev, Korpo, just about anyone from Hartford plus Antoine Vermette that we will clearly be the #1 favorite for the cup. Shanny could offer absolute zero and all those who have years of experience in hockey are clearly out of their minds thinking he can play in the NHL.

Last, I don't know how you know this but something tells me you are exactly right.....I see Shanny eating cheeseburgers and playing Wii all summer....he is so lacking in professionalism and experience there is NO WAY he is preparing for another NHL season. Clearly, a youngster deserves his spot simply because he is doing more workouts. Of course, this is complete fact because I know what Shanny is doing with his summer.

While you are at it, get rid of Betts, he is a dime a dozen -- hundreds of NHLers can do what he does, and a young guy from Hartford who I hear is working out twice as hard as Betts deserves his spot too. Gomez was a bad signing and so was Drury -- I like Demitra and some kid that has youtube videos up -- the rest should just retire.

NotAloneJustBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 12:19 PM
Turambar

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotAloneJustBlue View Post

It is plainly obvious that a lot of posters have simply regurgitated the hockeyrodent post about bringing players in solely for their "leadership". Fair enough.

It just seems kind of comical that no one seems to remember his contributions to the team last year but, then again, there are many experts here who know that Shanny is the final piece to scuttle so the current roster can win the cup or at least do way better than we have done because now we don't have people like Jagr destroying chemistry and forcing his will on Renney and we won't have to worry about Shanny and his zero skill putting in the odd goal. I really think that with Zherdev, Korpo, just about anyone from Hartford plus Antoine Vermette that we will clearly be the #1 favorite for the cup. Shanny could offer absolute zero and all those who have years of experience in hockey are clearly out of their minds thinking he can play in the NHL.

Last, I don't know how you know this but something tells me you are exactly right.....I see Shanny eating cheeseburgers and playing Wii all summer....he is so lacking in professionalism and experience there is NO WAY he is preparing for another NHL season. Clearly, a youngster deserves his spot simply because he is doing more workouts. Of course, this is complete fact because I know what Shanny is doing with his summer.

While you are at it, get rid of Betts, he is a dime a dozen -- hundreds of NHLers can do what he does, and a young guy from Hartford who I hear is working out twice as hard as Betts deserves his spot too. Gomez was a bad signing and so was Drury -- I like Demitra and some kid that has youtube videos up -- the rest should just retire.
One word: Valium.

Why do you care so much if other people give their opinions? You just gave yours, didn't you?

Turambar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 12:28 PM
NotAloneJustBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrJeff View Post
One word: Valium.

Why do you care so much if other people give their opinions? You just gave yours, didn't you?
Valium? That's the best you can do? Do you moonlight in stand up - I'd love to see your show.

What is the point of a message board if disagreeing with opinions is taboo?

If opinions are not supported by facts should they not be questioned? I just find a lot of the rationale lacking in both factual support and well, uh, rationale.

No bother, go back to your potential line combos. It's your world, I'm just passing through.

NotAloneJustBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 12:32 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotAloneJustBlue View Post

hahaha, great post

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 12:43 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Dellapina registers his 2 cents worth in his blog:

Rangers owe Shanahan an answer

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 12:48 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Not only will Shanny be a Ranger next year, he will likely be the Captain of the team.

Thats how Shanahan will go out.

07-16-2008, 12:51 PM
Celestial Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chariot View Post
Not only will Shanny be a Ranger next year, he will likely be the Captain of the team.

Honestly, I hope not.

Celestial Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 12:53 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:

I'll be burning MSG to the ground if that's the case.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 12:58 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

I don't think Shanny is Dunzo. Yea he's slow and less physical than his heyday. He may not be the top 6 guy, but he'd still be valuable in a lesser role.

Infact the 2009 role Shanny would play, could very well be his most valuable season as a NY Ranger.

Not only do I think Sather re-signs him. I think he'll be made Captain of the NY Rangers.

Theres not a lot of $$$ left, but there is the incredible prestige of ending ones career as Captain of an Original 6.

And if he gets injured and his 40+ year old body needs extra time to recover....they will just ease in the guys from Hartford.

Its not like he was just horrible last year. 23 goals 23 assists is respectable. He plays a solid PK and he could surely get some PP time even if its on a second unit.

For whats left on the table Shanny would be a bargain, especially considering that Hartford has some quailty kids who could just as easily get a start in CT with more ice time and be available for the call up...

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 01:01 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
I'll be burning MSG to the ground if that's the case.
He will be a Ranger and I just don't see Drury taking the C while Shannys in the room.

Wow , what a different team this going to be. Dont be so quick to knock it. This could be a lot of fun.

Old
07-16-2008, 01:02 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
Dellapina registers his 2 cents worth in his blog:

Rangers owe Shanahan an answer
Where do we fit Shanahan this season? does anybody really think the rangers are going to limit his icetime?

it's funny the team moved away from the Jagr era because he was holding the team back (as many would have us believe....renney better get off to a STRONG start considering this team is built for him...) why would they continue with the Shanny here?

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 01:04 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
He will be a Ranger and I just don't see Drury taking the C while Shannys in the room.

Wow , what a different team this going to be. Dont be so quick to knock it. This could be a lot of fun.
where was this "leadership" during game 5 in buffalo?

where was this "leadership" during game 5 in Pittsburgh?

Shanny is an embarassment to himself and the Rangers and it's time to move on from his play...how is this team going to get "faster" and more "wide open" with a guy that makes Colton Orr look like Bonnie Blair holding up the 2nd or 3rd line?

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 01:05 PM
DutchShamrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
http://insider.espn.go.com/nhl/features/rumors

Crap. I can totally see this happening. Glen tells Brendan, "I've got to clear room for you. Be patient and let me make moves like shipping Hollweg out of town and then, when we have enough room under the cap, we'll get you another 1 year deal. That's why I haven't filled that 2nd line RW spot yet."

I really hope not.
Thing is Sather can sign Shanny even if it puts us over the cap, right now we're allowed to exceed the cap by 10%... I think if this was going to happen it would have happened already

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 01:06 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Renny has already said Shanny could be back in a lesser role. He's a HOF. Renny is a master diplomat amongst the personalities and egos in the room.

He will be back. In a lesser role as far ice time goes.

He will be made the next Captain of the NY Rangers.