HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Shanny rumors persist

Old
07-16-2008, 01:11 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chariot View Post
Renny has already said Shanny could be back in a lesser role. He's a HOF. Renny is a master diplomat amongst the personalities and egos in the room.

He will be back. In a lesser role as far ice time goes.

He will be made the next Captain of the NY Rangers.
So all of a sudden Renney came to this realization that shanny needs less ice time?Where was this attitude towards grampa shannys play last season when he showed he couldn't keep up anymore..

Renney would play shanny just as much..you can bank on it....like this team is about to be more wide open? I'll believe THAT when i see it...

If Shanny was coming back he would be here by now..

no way the rangers make him captain for one season and then name drury the captain next season...that makes no sense..

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 01:13 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
where was this "leadership" during game 5 in buffalo?

where was this "leadership" during game 5 in Pittsburgh?
Leadership doesnt always get the puck in the net. We weren't in that room.

Did his leadership help the younger players manage the loss and gain from the experience the most they could? Does his veteran HOF advice and composure help build the team character win or lose?

Leadership has many roles, many faces. Its not always fire and brimstone speeches. Sometimes its the talk over a beer after the game with that young impressionable player who is still learning how to be a the best player he can be.

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 01:17 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:

no way the rangers make him captain for one season and then name drury the captain next season...that makes no sense..

No way Drury accepts the C with Shanny in the room. Too old school. And as far as handling the NY Media and what not.

Drury will drive the press nuts with his all business "stock" one sentence answers.

Shanny will be the go to guy regardless, so why not just make him the Man

Plus NYR is all about the prestige and the honor of the colors and the original 6

HOF Shanny will wear the C. Proudly

Old
07-16-2008, 01:21 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
He will be a Ranger and I just don't see Drury taking the C while Shannys in the room.

Wow , what a different team this going to be. Dont be so quick to knock it. This could be a lot of fun.
I'm not knocking the new squad, I'm one of the few that feel it will succeed. I'm knocking the new squad with Shanahan on it.

Say he does come in at a reduced role on the 3rd line. 2 months into the season, Naslund goes down with an injury. Who does Renney move into Naslund's spot? Shanahan of course. So now we'd have a team built for speed with a guy out there who's lost his legs.

We don't even have a set top-six and we're considering eating up cap space by giving Shanny a contract to play on the 3rd line? We have an abundance of 3rd/4th line players, but we want to add another one to the mix just so he can finish out his career as the captain of an original six? I don't like it one bit.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 01:26 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post

We don't even have a set top-six and we're considering eating up cap space by giving Shanny a contract to play on the 3rd line? We have an abundance of 3rd/4th line players, but we want to add another one to the mix just so he can finish out his career as the captain of an original six? I don't like it one bit.
Sathers not done yet. I dont think they give Shanny a victory lap at the detriment of the team.

They will do whats right for the team. I believe he will be onboard, in a lesser role as far as icetime goes.

If there are injuries Renny will make the right call for the personal available to him....

Old
07-16-2008, 01:35 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Sathers not done yet. I dont think they give Shanny a victory lap at the detriment of the team.

They will do whats right for the team. I believe he will be onboard, in a lesser role as far as icetime goes.

If there are injuries Renny will make the right call for the personal available to him....
I just don't see it happening financially unless Sather picks up a guy on a very cheap contract for a bunch of our excess bottom 6 players and Prucha to clear space. What kind of quality are you gonna get for those kind of parts? Difficult to be hopeful, even when you take into consideration the trades Slats has made so far.

Old
07-16-2008, 01:36 PM
NYR Viper

PLEASE NO SHANNY!!!......

i swear sooo many people here dont watch the fricken games all season!

1) too slow: he was never fast and played a power forward game however at this point in his career he is ALWAYS trailing the play, and that is not by design. he doesnt forecheck anymore and he is no longer a threat to skate with the puck. he shoots from the blue-line all the time and rarely gets a good shot off.

2) he blocks a spot: i proposed this question before...."would you rather have shanny or a player like korpikoski who is part of the future?".....IMO, i would rather korpikoski as i see a year in the nhl with better players around him as being HUGE for his development.

3) leadership: do i think shanny is a great leader? absolutely, he is probably one of, if not the best leader in the game right now. however i would understand if the rangers didnt have ANY older players on the team like tampa did with andrechuck(sp?)......then it makes sense, however sather went out and got 2 former captains, an assistant captain, and has been drafting based on charecter and leadership for years in dubi, cally, girardi(i know he wasnt drafted)......i would say the rangers already have more leadership then most teams around the league have(drury, gomez, naslund, rozsival, redden, mara), plus young players who have been known as leaders throughout their careers(staal, girardi, callahan, dubinsky)

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 02:06 PM
Esa 10

Quote:

Did his leadership help the younger players manage the loss and gain from the experience the most they could? Does his veteran HOF advice and composure help build the team character win or lose?

Leadership has many roles, many faces. Its not always fire and brimstone speeches. Sometimes its the talk over a beer after the game with that young impressionable player who is still learning how to be a the best player he can be.
Last year the Rangers suffered their 2 worst collapses in FRANCHISE HISTORY. Biggest blown lead in a regular season game (Montreal) and biggest blown lead in a playoff game (Pittsburgh.) This is a quantifiable measure of the cap space spent on Shanny and Drury's leadership.

Esa 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 02:18 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esa 10 View Post
Last year the Rangers suffered their 2 worst collapses in FRANCHISE HISTORY. Biggest blown lead in a regular season game (Montreal) and biggest blown lead in a playoff game (Pittsburgh.) This is a quantifiable measure of the cap space spent on Shanny and Drury's leadership.
So you're blaming the team's collapse on Drury and Shanahan..?

Old
07-16-2008, 02:18 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:

Please...please stop. It is in no way a quantitive measure of anything .

Ill counter the same point. YOU WEREN'T IN THE ROOM

How do you just throw all that blame on Shanny. Maybe its what he said in the midst of those losses that kept the team from taking a turn for the worse.

Losing to Pitts was far from Shannys fault and that Montreal game was a fluke.

Please go google Brendan Shanahan. Look at what he's accomplished. He's a $$$ player, a warrior. He aint a kid anymore but he's far from a "cone"!

1st ballot HALL OF FAME

He was the teams 2nd goal scorer last season, despite his age.

Old
07-16-2008, 02:19 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
im sorry but all of your credibility is now lost...

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 02:19 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
Quote:
yeah, ok...

I think Shanahan still has value on this team. will he wear down considerably? absolutely. but even on his worst days he's still a valuble special teams player IMO.

and a team just won the Stanley Cup with 3 forwards slower than Shanny. but then again most people here would rather model Columbus than Detroit.

Old
07-16-2008, 02:23 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post

do i think shanny is a great leader? absolutely, he is probably one of, if not the best leader in the game right now.
Lol... Red Wings were still thanking the guy for his leadership in their speeches this spring..

He scored 23 goal 23 assists last year played a great PK and is a #1 character guy....

Look at whats left of the cap..... we should be thanking the hockey Gods if they can convince him to take that piece for one more year...

Old
07-16-2008, 02:53 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
The Rangers have plenty of cap space for bonuses. They could easily sign Shanny to a 500k deal with a 3.5 million bonus if he shows up for 10 games. A 4million contract would be great to have on a guy who could be a huge ambassador, mentor, and team player. He's admitted he'll play any role which includes 3rd and 4th lines. Sign him and keep him for another year. Let the kids play on the top lines and throw his cannon on the PP. At a 500k cap hit, it's a no brainer.

And if he's truly willing to play any role which I believe he will, I'd be happy carrying him as a 6/7th defenceman some nights. We've had far worse on the blueline in recent years.

At his age, there isn't even the need to play him every night. They could give him regular nights off which would ensure room for other players that deserve playing time too.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 02:58 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Leadership isn't something the Rangers NEED...From what's been preached to me on this board since Jagr was let go the Rangers are swiming with leadership...Naslund, Gomez, Drury, Redden can all be counted on to "lead"....from what i've been told!

Quote:
If your going to say "we weren't in the room" then how can you know there has been any effect?

No I don't think his HOF advice and composure build anything...I think his leadership is the most overrated argument on this board since we had the "they ruined manny" debates a few years ago...

Quote:
Leadership does have many faces but Shanny can't do the most important thing a player can do...lead by example with what he does on the ice...Shanny is an embarssment to himself and his once fine career....

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 03:16 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
The Rangers have plenty of cap space for bonuses. They could easily sign Shanny to a 500k deal with a 3.5 million bonus if he shows up for 10 games. A 4million contract would be great to have on a guy who could be a huge ambassador, mentor, and team player. He's admitted he'll play any role which includes 3rd and 4th lines. Sign him and keep him for another year. Let the kids play on the top lines and throw his cannon on the PP. At a 500k cap hit, it's a no brainer.

And if he's truly willing to play any role which I believe he will, I'd be happy carrying him as a 6/7th defenceman some nights. We've had far worse on the blueline in recent years.

At his age, there isn't even the need to play him every night. They could give him regular nights off which would ensure room for other players that deserve playing time too.
For better or worse, this year, what you propose has a $4 million cap hit, not $500,000. There is a clause in the CBA that allows the NHLPA to opt-out of the contract (that doesn't expire until next after next season) and until or unless they agree to waive re-opening the contract, no bonuses can be deferred. It was talked about a lot several weeks ago on both this board and in published reports (and journalists' blogs).

If you want Shanahan cheap, he has to agree to play for it, no mirrors this year.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 03:29 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:

Leadership does have many faces but Shanny can't do the most important thing a player can do...lead by example with what he does on the ice...Shanny is an embarssment to himself and his once fine career....
Thats crazy talk....I dont know where your passion for not liking Shanahan is born from, but he's been nothing but a good Ranger.

He's older, but he doesnt suck. He has nothing to be embarrassed over.

Look at his stats. Listen to what the coaches say about him. Listen to what his teammates say about him.

Are his overall skills diminishing? Yes

Does he still have a role to play? I think the case can be made to say yes. YES

Old
07-16-2008, 03:30 PM
Cake or Death

Quote:
Shanny is an embarassment to himself and the Rangers
Wow. That statement is an embarrassment. If a 39 year old finishing second on the team in goals and fourth in points is an embarrassment, then how do you label almost the entire rest of our team, who were younger and finished behind him in scoring last season? Do you define them as colossal embarrassments or something?

Cake or Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 03:43 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeHockeyFan View Post
Wow. That statement is an embarrassment. If a 39 year old finishing second on the team in goals and fourth in points is an embarrassment, then how do you label almost the entire rest of our team, who were younger and finished behind him in scoring last season? Do you define them as colossal embarrassments or something?
Look, embarrassment might be a bit harsh, but your comeback is flawed as well. Where do the respective players wind up pts-wise if you switch Shanny's ice time (and specifically his PP ice time) with Prucha, Dawes, etc.?

Last edited by BrooklynRangersFan: 07-16-2008 at 03:54 PM.
BrooklynRangersFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 03:48 PM
NotAloneJustBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeHockeyFan View Post
Uh oh, now you've done it! I'm pretty sure you are not allowed to criticize any of the "young" players -- don't you know that they don't score because Jagr's style and authoritarian rule over the team, because of all the useless older players taking up spots from guys that would have scored double the amount if only allowed to? Rangers vets = bad, Rangers young = good, Rangers talent unproven at NHL level = automatic cup winners.

Ok, I digress, but seriously, Shanny an embarrassment to himself and the team? Not only is that inaccurate on many levels, I also don't think you could find a Ranger who would agree with that statement if their lives depended on it. The venom that some seem to have to anyone who is not named Lundquist, Avery, Korpo, or for some reason Antoine Vermette is palpable on this board.

It's just hard to take such an emphatic statement like that seriously. Regardless if you want him back or not, claiming he isn't able to play at an NHL level is dubious at best, claiming he is an embarrassment is simply absurd. So you want him back this year right?

NotAloneJustBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 03:51 PM
Esa 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
So you're blaming the team's collapse on Drury and Shanahan..?
Not at all. I'm simply pointing out that their leadership qualities contribute a lot less to the team's success than their salary cap hits suggest they should. There's only so far they (and Straka/Jagr/Gomez/etc.) can lead a team to.

Old
07-16-2008, 03:52 PM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Look, embarrassment might be a bit harsh, but your comeback is flawed as well. Where do the respective players wind up pts-wise if you switch Shanny's ice time (and specifically his PP ice time) with Prucha, Dawes, etc.
I don't know, do you? They could very well be worse than Shanny, on the other hand they could very well be better, on the foot (out of hands) it could be the same.

personally I think Prucha would put up worse stats than Shanny, but I do think dawes would put up better.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 04:03 PM
Esa 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
yeah, ok...

I think Shanahan still has value on this team. will he wear down considerably? absolutely. but even on his worst days he's still a valuble special teams player IMO.

and a team just won the Stanley Cup with 3 forwards slower than Shanny. but then again most people here would rather model Columbus than Detroit.
Every team's make-up is different. I'm not arguing against older, slower players per se. If they bring in Sundin or kept Jagr or even Straka, I can see the merits. I simply don't see Shanny as that player this year. His value on the PK does not make up for his lacking play at even strength. With all the capable bottom forwards at minimal prices here, he's simply redundant.

Old
07-16-2008, 04:12 PM
NotAloneJustBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags225 View Post
I don't know, do you? They could very well be worse than Shanny, on the other hand they could very well be better, on the foot (out of hands) it could be the same.

personally I think Prucha would put up worse stats than Shanny, but I do think dawes would put up better.

Agreed, it's too difficult to speculate on that kind of stuff. Too many examples of it going both ways. However, with a vet like Shanny, you pretty much know what you can expect more or less. That's not reason enough to sign him but I don't think it is certain that Dawes or Prucha would have had breakout years in place of Shanny.

Regardless of whether you believe he is washed up or not, I do agree that the talk about the abstract "leadership" qualities are a bit overblown. However, I will end with this, on more than one occasion last year, Shanny stepped up and pushed back when the Blueshirts were expectedly being manhandled with impunity. That is concrete leadership and that is leading by example. Where were the younger guys then?

They were waiting for his lead. It wasn't until after that early game that I started seeing more physicality and nastiness from guys like Callahan, Mara, even Rozi seemed like he was getting involved more. This doesn't make us entirely better but you shouldn't discount moments like that and for all the naysayers saying he doesn't lead by example I would reckon you have one there --- that, and the 23 goals, 11 PPGs, 3 GWs

NotAloneJustBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 04:21 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
Quote:
Every team's make-up is different. I'm not arguing against older, slower players per se. If they bring in Sundin or kept Jagr or even Straka, I can see the merits. I simply don't see Shanny as that player this year. His value on the PK does not make up for his lacking play at even strength. With all the capable bottom forwards at minimal prices here, he's simply redundant.
Shanahan is a much better player than McCarty or Drake, but the Red Wings are willing to make room for vetern players that have winning experience.

redundant? how many of those bottom six forwards scored 23 goals this season?

Brian Boyle is online now   Reply With Quote