HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Straka - Nylander - Jagr

Old
07-16-2008, 07:13 PM
polako

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPG View Post
Team got just as far with Drury and Gomez and we don't have a 36 year old with injury question marks as our first line center.
This is sad. You spend absurd amounts of $ on two supposedly better guys who couldn't produce like a guy that would have made significantly less than either one of them ended up signing for. And the results are the same.

I have nothing but fond memories of what was, for 2 years, the most dangerous line in the East, and for a while, the best line in hockey.

And I will always appreciate these three guys for not only resurrecting the NYR, but for playing a style that was very pleasing on the eyes. Just beautiful hockey all around, what made it even better was that the team won with this style. I'm sure I'll be yearning for these days when I'm watching the dump the chase this year.

polako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 09:03 PM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by polako View Post
This is sad. You spend absurd amounts of $ on two supposedly better guys who couldn't produce like a guy that would have made significantly less than either one of them ended up signing for. And the results are the same.

I have nothing but fond memories of what was, for 2 years, the most dangerous line in the East, and for a while, the best line in hockey.

And I will always appreciate these three guys for not only resurrecting the NYR, but for playing a style that was very pleasing on the eyes. Just beautiful hockey all around, what made it even better was that the team won with this style. I'm sure I'll be yearning for these days when I'm watching the dump the chase this year.

amen brotha, amen. I hate dump and chase hockey, and I am dreading watching the defensive playing dump and chase Rangers this year. It definately won't be pleasing to the eyes, but hey its hockey so i'll watch it and enjoy it as much as possible.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 10:44 PM
Fataldogg

One of the best lines in the NHL at the time. Ranked up there with Alfredsson - Spezza - Heatley. Definitely not as potent but Straka - Nylander - Jagr was one of the top 3 lines in the NHL. Honestly, I feel that if we only signed ONE of the two players [Drury and Gomez] that we would be A LOT closer to a Cup. We were missing depth. We should have signed Scott Gomez to anchor the second line and have signed one quality winger for him [preferably not Shanny someone that could keep up with him]. That would have been ideal for the team in terms of winning a Cup. There's no doubt in my mind that if healthy Straka and Nylander would still get 75 - 80pts and Jagr would be putting up 90 - 100 pts.

Fataldogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 11:37 PM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fataldogg View Post
One of the best lines in the NHL at the time. Ranked up there with Alfredsson - Spezza - Heatley. Definitely not as potent but Straka - Nylander - Jagr was one of the top 3 lines in the NHL. Honestly, I feel that if we only signed ONE of the two players [Drury and Gomez] that we would be A LOT closer to a Cup. We were missing depth. We should have signed Scott Gomez to anchor the second line and have signed one quality winger for him [preferably not Shanny someone that could keep up with him]. That would have been ideal for the team in terms of winning a Cup. There's no doubt in my mind that if healthy Straka and Nylander would still get 75 - 80pts and Jagr would be putting up 90 - 100 pts.

I think those numbers are VERY inflated on Straka & Nylander

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2008, 03:48 AM
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie

Send a message via Yahoo to Sad London Ranger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuxman View Post
06-07 team was pretty much a center and couple of d-men away from making it to the finals. i thought the name of the game was to build on what u have?

another thing, im sure everyone remembers the "czechmate" line, why did slats gut that line too? here finally there was something to build on, but he gutted the line to get lindros.
don't know about that - but we certainly were 7 seconds from winning the buffalo series if it wasn't for Tuyts icing the puck.

Sad London Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2008, 04:06 AM
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie

couple of issues of what was said above:

youth/age of team: I don't give a rats ar.e whether team is youngest or oldest. What I care about is that the team is BETTER than the rest or better than the previous year. Ducks and Detroit are not young teams - who cares!

figure skating Nylander: correct - he was complementing Jagr because Jagr carried the puck and Nyls was circling to open himself up for either a set up or a give and go.
Gomez is not that kind of player. I have no agenda against scotty gomez. I like him.
but given that our top guy who scored the most points in Ranger history I would think we would go with that horse and not trying to reinvent the wheel. Building on what was successful. Gomez never had and I doubt he ever will have as many points as Nylander.

team chemistry: Slats messed with it with Nylander. Maybe 5 years was too long and 2 too short. but had we come to terms with Nylander and Nylander was still here I reckon Jagr would have taken a 1-2 deal to match with Nylanders. It was his comfort zone and he would have been comfortable in this enviroment and he would have taken the Omsk job after the Nyls deal was done.
Given that Jagr was not playing well with either Gomez and / or Drury - Jagr knew
his time was up. it would have been forced happiness.....Yes for him it was time to go.
Again - this is a guy who scored 90 and 105 points (guessing) on an average team.
We would be soooo lucky to have another player to put these numbers up. And lets talk after this season so see how many points Zherdev and Naslund put together.

Now we have two centers and no winger in tune to play with them....unless of course we keep Shanny and Dawes turns out to be the second coming of Andy Bathgate....

Drury: Was an excellent signing as second line center. Drury has no business languishing on 3rd line.

Slats: the team he is building is not improving. We are stopgapping at all times. Won't overpay a good center, will overpay their replacement, wont give a 3 year deal our no 1 and all time leading Ranger scorer, marquee player, will give a long contract to an average guy in steep decline......
Last year's team with Gomez and Drury was not better than the team before and I have doubts the team next year will match the team of this year.

Last edited by Sad London Ranger: 07-17-2008 at 04:13 AM.
Old
07-17-2008, 06:00 AM
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags225 View Post
it pisses me off so much b/c people actually try to defend it by saying he has intangibles. W T F does that mean. Avery has intangibles and wasn't worth $4mil. in fact one could say that he was more valuable than Drury in the clutch this year and especially in the PO's. So drury is magically worth $7mil.

but he can take faceoffs well.... so can gomez, dubi, betts. and Drury was horrible last year's PO's when the faceoffs were important... dubi on the other hand was great.

he plays defense.... great so you pay $7 mil for a defensmen that happens to play forward.... kind of sounds like the opposite of Mark Streit if you ask me. If I wanted a $7 mil player that is known more for his defense than his offense I would sign a $7 mil defensemen.

Drury had a good PO's in 06-07 and cashed in from the Franchise who loves to hand out contracts that players don't deserve. he was never a $7mil player, never will be, and will never live up to his contract. throw on top of that the NMC and you have a signing that rivals valeri kamensky in horribleness.
Directionally I am with you on all of this.
Scott Nichol is a good face off man and a bargain at sub 1 million, has speed, abrasiveness Avery can only dream of.....So certainly we didn't pay Drury the big bucks for the F/Os.

I reckon Drury is a 2 way center who has proven record of coming good in the clutch.
Bar 1 game I don't think he has put up the numbers we expected. having played on 3 rd line certainly didn't help. He will most likely be a 2nd line center unless dubi becomes the Moose in his sophomore year.

My issue actually is with Gomez as our no 1 Center I reckon he is not and never will be! Compared to the other 1st line centers around the league he is simply not good enough. In terms of points gathered he is
21st in the league (I looked it up - Drury 28th)

guys like Ribeiro, Arnott, Jokinen were available. Scotty is not in the same league as Lecavalier, Thornton, Malkin, Spezza, etc. sorry to say!

Last edited by Sad London Ranger: 07-17-2008 at 06:08 AM.
Old
07-17-2008, 07:06 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy London Ranger View Post
don't know about that - but we certainly were 7 seconds from winning the buffalo series if it wasn't for Tuyts icing the puck.
Dont forget how the suddenly great Michael Nylander lost his check on the Drury goal.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2008, 07:33 AM
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie

he should not have been on the ice. the why you dont ice the puck to allow f/0 on own zone without possib of line change.....elementary my dear watson