HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Could the same problem be back?

Old
07-16-2008, 08:11 PM
newyorkrangers11

vCash: 500
Could the same problem be back?

One of the biggest problems last year was that the players would differ to Jagr. Differ to Jagr because he is a veteran player and a shoe in for the HOF. That led to our team being very predictable and very easily shut down. I for one am glad that Jagr is gone and am ready to move on. Mostly for that reason but I was thinking earlier... Could the same dilemma with differing to the veteran happen with Naslund? Could the predictability be back to haunt us again because of this Veteran on our first line? Or is the Calibur player Naslund is lead us away from this problem and that only someone like a Jagr will lead to it?.

I don't know what will happen but I hope we use Naslund correctly and do not over feed him the puck or anything like that. I don't think we will.

newyorkrangers11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 08:22 PM
cmb572

i dont think that will happen. jagr and naslund seem to be different style players... although i dont think ive seen naslund play in a while so maybe im off. but i think that situation is unique to Jagr and how he played.

cmb572 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 08:23 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorkrangers11 View Post
One of the biggest problems last year was that the players would differ to Jagr. Differ to Jagr because he is a veteran player and a shoe in for the HOF. That led to our team being very predictable and very easily shut down. I for one am glad that Jagr is gone and am ready to move on. Mostly for that reason but I was thinking earlier... Could the same dilemma with differing to the veteran happen with Naslund? Could the predictability be back to haunt us again because of this Veteran on our first line? Or is the Calibur player Naslund is lead us away from this problem and that only someone like a Jagr will lead to it?.

I don't know what will happen but I hope we use Naslund correctly and do not over feed him the puck or anything like that. I don't think we will.
Well, for starters, noone on this team possesses the skill Jagr does, so they may be forced to spread the wealth.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 08:36 PM
Celestial Black

Not just may but needs to spread the scoring or else things will not turn out well.

Celestial Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 08:51 PM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
Nor does Nas have the same presence and lore that Jags had.

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 08:52 PM
DonCherrysSuit
Powerplay Pass Party

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forechecker View Post
Bingo.

DonCherrysSuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 08:58 PM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forechecker View Post
Not only that but Naslund understands he is a part just like everyone else and doesn't feel the need to carry the team.

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 09:01 PM
D713B

Quote:

Sorry, I don't usually do this but its defer to. I don't mean to sound like the grammar police so please excuse that...

As for your question I think you hit the nail on the head though. Naslund is not now nor has he ever been of Jagr's caliber so I think that effectively solves that problem.

D713B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 09:02 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureGM97 View Post
Not only that but Naslund understands he is a part just like everyone else and doesn't feel the need to carry the team.
i think thats what happened to him in vancouver and he got sufficated by the media...

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 09:16 PM
dank

deferring to Jagr is very different than having Naslund around..

i'm sure most people agree. top-5 (definitely 10) all time player vs. Naslund.. no contest

dank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 09:20 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Differ instead defer? Calibur instead caliber? Brutal spelling dude. We all have typos, but come on, what's education coming to.

Quote:

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 09:24 PM
pitseleh

The other thing to consider is that Jagr has always been a player that likes to create offense with the puck on his stick, while Naslund hasn't been very good in that role (except sporadically) the past two seasons. For that reason alone I don't think that will be an issue with Naslund.

pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 09:32 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Naslund is a completely different kind of player.

I don't think the predictability factor will play into this year's team.

Naslund is more of a free wheeling kind of player. Not predictable at all. He is much, much smaller then Jagr and because of that is forced to play a more free wheeling game... sneaking into lanes, stealing pucks, setting guys up, and really constantly moving around.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 10:23 PM
NYR Viper

i dont think so....although i do think naslund will be a large part of the offense, i lik ehow the rangers got pieces to add to the puzzle instead of trying to solve the puzzle with one piece......spreads everything out and IMO makes everyone try that much harder to pull their own weight.....should it happen this way?........no, but it does and the proof was last season

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 10:27 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

If the same "problem" (as if deferring to a world class talent like Jagr is a problem) exists what does that say about Renneys coaching?

If ANY of the same problems still exist from last season after the first month (too many penalties, bad power play, no chemstry) Tom Renney should be fired....

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 10:28 PM
Dredden
JT Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
If the same "problem" (as if deferring to a world class talent like Jagr is a problem) exists what does that say about Renneys coaching?

If ANY of the same problems still exist from last season after the first month (too many penalties, bad power play, no chemstry) Tom Renney should be fired....
Chemstry may take longer than two monthes. Its pretty much a new team.

Dredden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2008, 03:03 AM
BigE

Naslund isn't the type of guy that demands the puck on his stick at all times. He doesn't operate by having to control everyone on the ice.

Tom Renney is all about pucks on net with his powerplay and I suspect that is what he'll get this year out of his men.

BigE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2008, 04:29 AM
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie

Send a message via Yahoo to Sad London Ranger
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmb572 View Post
i dont think that will happen. jagr and naslund seem to be different style players... although i dont think ive seen naslund play in a while so maybe im off. but i think that situation is unique to Jagr and how he played.
Agree they are different players...for one Naslund is not as good as Jagr.

Sad London Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2008, 04:56 AM
rangerfan_79

Send a message via Yahoo to rangerfan_79
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynHockey99 View Post
Differ instead defer? Calibur instead caliber? Brutal spelling dude. We all have typos, but come on, what's education coming to.
If you got the point of the message then why bother busting chops with correcting the spelling?

It makes you sound like a little child weather you realize it or not.

Enjoy our teams message board for the sake of peaceful discussion.

LGR!!!!

rangerfan_79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2008, 07:31 AM
Camenzuli

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerfan_79 View Post
If you got the point of the message then why bother busting chops with correcting the spelling?

LGR!!!!
If the spelling/grammar police really is out I think he might have a little something against your post too

Camenzuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2008, 08:21 AM
NYRSinceBirth

To simplify my response, absolutely not.

Jaromir Jagr is just that, Jaromir freakin' Jagr. Of course his team mates are going to look to him as option A (cough Rozy cough). And of course teams are going to double team and shadow him (Hal Gill?). Why woulnd't they, in both cases? He's one of the greatest talents the game has ever seen and could literally take over a game him self, even at 36 (his unpredictability in this made him that much more of a target; no one on his team wanted to miss an opportunity while no one against him wanted to give him an opportunity). Not only that, but he was a MAJOR part in offensive production for us. For us, it was get him the puck and let him do his thing. For those against us it was the opposite, since shutting him down was shutting us down.

That said, and not to tale anything from Nazzy, but Markus can't even compare. He's a talented and dangerous player, but not close to what Jagr was. This might be good though, spreading the talent/scoring out makes us that much harder to defend against; shutting dow 3 or 4 guys is harder than shutting down 1.

NYRSinceBirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2008, 08:26 AM
DubiDubiDoo

Send a message via AIM to DubiDubiDoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerfan_79 View Post

LGR!!!!
If someone is just trying to be a jerk, than i agree with you, we dont need that here. On the other hand, there is nothing wrong with a quick correction to help someone out. It could save the person from making the same mistake on a resume, report or email between co-workers.
That said, whe I come to the boards i do very little to police my own posts grammatically because honestly, I'm not at work, I'm shootin the **** on a hockey forum...

DubiDubiDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2008, 08:26 AM
HoosierDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by D713B View Post
Sorry, I don't usually do this but its defer to. I don't mean to sound like the grammar police so please excuse that...
If you're going to correct someone's grammer you should make damn sure yours is correct. I'm no gramarian, but I think you meant to write "...but it's (contraction of it is) and you ended a sentence with a preposition "...defer to..."

I sould stick to hockey commentary.

HoosierDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2008, 08:30 AM
DubiDubiDoo

Send a message via AIM to DubiDubiDoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierDaddy View Post
If you're going to correct someone's grammer you should make damn sure yours is correct. I'm no gramarian, but I think you meant to write "...but it's (contraction of it is) and you ended a sentence with a preposition "...defer to..."

I sould stick to hockey commentary.
Really, you SOULD!!!!

DubiDubiDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2008, 08:57 AM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by D713B View Post

As for your question I think you hit the nail on the head though. Naslund is not now nor has he ever been of Jagr's caliber so I think that effectively solves that problem.
It's it's not its.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote