HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dawes re-signed - $587,500/1YR

Old
07-16-2008, 05:59 PM
Forechecker

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubblegumGang184434 View Post
I believe he is too young. Lundqvist would've only because of arbitration.
I was wrong, Lundy would've been a RFA.

Too bad it wasn't a two year deal for Dawes, but with Kalinin, Mara, Rissmiller, and potentially several others, coming off the books next year there should be more than enough to reward him well.

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 06:19 PM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugerya View Post
I think the choice for Dawes came down to asking for more (just under a mil) and having to face the possibility of getting sent down due to cap constraints, or doing this deal. Now he is a bargain with enough potential to probably stick around all season. More money or guarentee yourself an NHL spot. Let's not underestimate what kind of a statement he is making.

I think you may have nailed it.

If Dawes is playing lights out come mid-Febuarythey will lock him up long term.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 06:22 PM
The Thomas J.*

This really is a tremendous deal, excellent Negotation by Sather & co.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 06:23 PM
Pizza

Obviously a bargain.

Nice deal for both sides and good to see that Dawes takes the Hank route to long term Ranger status. He's a core player for our future.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 06:28 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Henrik was going to be an UFA next summer 2009.The Rangers took Henrik to salary arb last summer to avoid an offer sheet.They could not have taken Henrik to salary arb this summer but he could filed or signed an offer sheet this summer.The age for group III is now 27.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 09:24 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Wow, another bargain price for a quality player. Pretty solid.
Dawes should fire his agent. Brutal deal for him. Who was the retard who negotiated so little money? How is he getting paid 3 times less than Prucha and barely more than the league average? Now I know Prucha's contract has no effect on him, but still, even when Prucha was at the top of his game, was he really 3 times more valuable than Dawes? Should Dawes really be barely above the minimum?

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 09:24 PM
danno2530

Send a message via Yahoo to danno2530
Excellent, excellent deal. Nigel could be on the verge of just a huge season. Can't wait.

danno2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 09:43 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynHockey99 View Post
Dawes should fire his agent. Brutal deal for him. Who was the retard who negotiated so little money? How is he getting paid 3 times less than Prucha and barely more than the league average? Now I know Prucha's contract has no effect on him, but still, even when Prucha was at the top of his game, was he really 3 times more valuable than Dawes? Should Dawes really be barely above the minimum?
Why should Dawes fire his agent? He got a 20% raise over last year's salary and had absolutely no leverage. Sather could have told him to either sign the qualifying offer (which would have been a 5% raise under the current CBA) or stay home.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 10:44 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

I dont get it...what were you guys expecting Dawes to get?

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 10:45 PM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
Quote:
Dude, it's called cap management and Dawes being a team player.

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 11:27 PM
Fataldogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags225 View Post
b/c there a chance he won't score 20, he is a redundant part, we already have enough small guys on the team that serve more of a purpose (Smurf 1 & 2, Cally, Dawes), he cannot stay on his skates, he makes absolutely nobody on the ice better.
There's a chance that one of those other young kids won't score 20 goals either... Whats your point? The kid has hands that the other young talent on our team doesn't have. Prucha has the potential to be a consistent 25 - 30 goal scorer. He had over 20+ goals each of his first two years. They just have to give him the opportunity to perform. If he gets a legit opportunity and can't do it than fine but give him the opportunity first.

Fataldogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 11:32 PM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
I dont get it...what were you guys expecting Dawes to get?
At least 6m over 3yrs.

It's a great deal for us, but I feel bad for Nigel when Voros and Rissmiller are making more than twice this much, and probably will play half the amount of games.

Carlos Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2008, 12:11 AM
mti79

Quote:
Dawes signed a very team friendly deal and we should all be grateful for that. He had a great rookie season scoring 14 goals. If he scores 38 this year, it will match Prucha's production from his first two seasons. We all know Pru didn't do much of anything last season, but he didn't score 52 by accident. Why give up on him already? $1.6 is not a terrible contract to have on the books. If during the season, he becomes expendable and we can trade him to fill a need, fine. But in the meantime, let's use him and see if he can get back to where he was....

Also, on another topic, why would we move Drury to a wing in the second year of his contract with us? If someone performs in camp and warrants it, maybe discuss it then. Dubinsky was great last year playing with Jagr. I will reserve judgment until he proves he can do it without someone like Jagr on his wing. Until then, Brandon Dubinsky is our 3rd line center.

mti79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2008, 09:06 AM
bigblue21

Quote:
Originally Posted by mti79 View Post
Also, on another topic, why would we move Drury to a wing in the second year of his contract with us? If someone performs in camp and warrants it, maybe discuss it then. Dubinsky was great last year playing with Jagr. I will reserve judgment until he proves he can do it without someone like Jagr on his wing. Until then, Brandon Dubinsky is our 3rd line center.
Uh, so your saying Dubinsky's performance in camp might warrant moving Drury to wing? Not the full season he already played centering our 1A line?

It's not like Dubinsky played give-and-go hockey flying down the ice with Jagr giving him no look passes. Most of his best work was done deep in the corners. This takes place with or without Jagr by his side.

bigblue21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2008, 09:17 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Disagreed. Dawes had almost no leverage - he will be an RFA again next year. He got a raise and helps the team manage the cap. If he performs as we hope he will, he'll get his next year (or maybe sooner a la Prucha/Girardi).

BrooklynRangersFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2008, 09:48 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Prucha scored 30 goals, Dawes scored 14. That's why he gets less money. He obviously took it to either help the cap situation, or is being given the chance to prove himself over a full season. They're handling this the opposite way they handled Prucha's salary, which is the right move.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2008, 09:53 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by DruMez View Post
At least 6m over 3yrs.

It's a great deal for us, but I feel bad for Nigel when Voros and Rissmiller are making more than twice this much, and probably will play half the amount of games.
Then why did he sign for a small amount? It's not like he was forced into this contract...

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2008, 10:32 AM
Fletch

Don't feel bad for Nigel...if he's going to turn into a player, he'll get his payday. The Rangers are using what leverage they have on a 22 year old who has yet to play a full NHL season and who is without aribtration rights. He tried to get leverage through offer sheets with other teams and noone bit. It's one season. Welcome to the NHL, Nigel, now play for your big payday.

Fletch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2008, 10:35 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Then why did he sign for a small amount? It's not like he was forced into this contract...
He's still an RFA - and will be again next year. So he's signing for a 20% raise, because:
1) He didn't get an offer sheet from anyone else.
2) Sitting out the season won't help his cause.
3) Most importanly, he probably believes that if he performs up to expectations, he'll be rewarded in his next contract, which could even come in-season as it did for Tyutin and Girardi last year. The team has shown that this is how it operates, and I think it puts out the right message to our younger guys.

BrooklynRangersFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2008, 10:43 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Prucha has 104 points in 209 NHL games. Dawes has 30 points in 69 career games. When Dawes has three seasons of production under his belt I'm sure his salary will reflect that.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2008, 10:44 AM
Dredden
JT Miller

Im feeling a monster year for Dawes.

Dredden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2008, 10:49 AM
beastly115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
Sweeeeeet, nice and cheap!.....I see Dawes as a top 6 this yr

Not sure what he is saying in the article,,,,,,,,to mean it is freaking obvious who makes the team and who does not at this pt

Tell me if I am wrong people.........and don't get picky with the positions and lines

C
Gomez, Drury, Dubinsky, Betts
Naslund, Dawes, Fritsche, Rissmiller, Voros
Zherdev, Prucha,Callahan, Sjostrom, Orr

That is 14 forwards which is normal

G
Lundqvist, Valliquette- 2 goalies duhhh

D
Rozsival, Redden, Staal, Kalinen, Mara, Girardi,Pock
7 Dmen

There is your 23

and yea they have guys with great talent in Hartford

Korpikoski, Byers, Moore, Parenteau, Jessiman, Aminisev, Jamtin
Sanguinetti, Potter, Sauer,etc
Who's this Aminisev you keep referring to in your posts? Did we recently sign him? I haven't been able to find anything on him.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2008, 10:54 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaqup View Post
Who's this Aminisev you keep referring to in your posts? Did we recently sign him? I haven't been able to find anything on him.
he means anisimov........

also, i really dont think prucha will be getting playing time this season except for if someone gets hurt

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2008, 10:57 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by DruMez View Post
At least 6m over 3yrs.

Seriously? That would be God-awful. Not only has Dawes yet to show hes worthy of that type of money, but given the circumstances (not arbitration eligible/didnt receive an offer sheet), Dawes got what hes entitled to.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2008, 11:01 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
He's still an RFA - and will be again next year. So he's signing for a 20% raise, because:
1) He didn't get an offer sheet from anyone else.
2) Sitting out the season won't help his cause.
3) Most importanly, he probably believes that if he performs up to expectations, he'll be rewarded in his next contract, which could even come in-season as it did for Tyutin and Girardi last year. The team has shown that this is how it operates, and I think it puts out the right message to our younger guys.
I mean why feel bad for him or something. He signed the contract, he made the decision to accept it. It's obviously ok with him at this point. I'm sure he's hoping that he'll have a good season and be able to ask for a lot more in his next contract.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote