HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Let's Build Next Years Team - Second Line Right Wing

View Poll Results: Who should be the Second Line Right Wing for next years team?
Petr Prucha 46 40.00%
Ryan Callahan 23 20.00%
Aaron Voros 1 0.87%
Patrick Rissmiller 1 0.87%
Brandon Dubinsky 11 9.57%
Lauri Korpikoski 18 15.65%
Dan Fritsche 8 6.96%
Colton Orr 2 1.74%
Artem Anisimov 2 1.74%
Greg Moore 0 0%
Other (please list below) 3 2.61%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-17-2008, 02:16 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Let's Build Next Years Team - Second Line Right Wing

Im sorta ripping off flylines yearly prospect post, and kinda building a twist around it. Were going to vote on the lines for next year. Im going to go position by position, and were going to have a vote for every single player, even the more obvious choices till we fill out an entire roster.

The assumptions here are the team carrying 2 goalies, 1 backup defenseman, and 2 backup forwards. The first few obvious prospects will also be listed in every vote, along with an "other" option. This is if you feel another player not listed is a better choice than any of the other players.

The Roster As It Stands Now:

Markus Naslund (52.83%) - Scotty Gomez (91.67%) - Nikolai Zherdev (78.02%)
Nigel Dawes (72.50%)
- Chris Drury (54.48%) - Second Line Right Wing
Third Line Left Wing - Third Line Center - Third Line Right Wing
Fourth Line Left Wing - Fourth Line Center - Fourth Line Right Wing
First Backup Forward
Second Backup Forward

First Pairing Left Defenseman - First Pairing Right Defenseman
Second Pairing Left Defenseman - Second Pairing Right Defenseman
Third Pairing Left Defenseman - Third Pairing Right Defenseman
Backup Defenseman

Starting Goalie
Backup Goalie

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2008, 02:20 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

I just despise the idea of Petr Prucha and Nigel Dawes being on the same line, especially one centered by a midget in Drury. I hate it so much id rather have a rookie in Korpedo be on the right side than any of the other choices. I simply can not stand the idea of those 2 on the same line at the same time, it really frightens me.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2008, 03:03 AM
rangerfan_79

Send a message via Yahoo to rangerfan_79
like it or not dubinsky belongs on the 2nd line.

voted dubi obviously.

rangerfan_79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2008, 07:33 AM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Can Korpedo play RW? Or only LW?

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2008, 07:34 AM
DubiDubiDoo

Send a message via AIM to DubiDubiDoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
I just despise the idea of Petr Prucha and Nigel Dawes being on the same line, especially one centered by a midget in Drury. I hate it so much id rather have a rookie in Korpedo be on the right side than any of the other choices. I simply can not stand the idea of those 2 on the same line at the same time, it really frightens me.
Agree with you 100%, but thats why we need to break up Naslund and Zherdev...DEPTH IN SCORING!!!!
Posted this next part a day or 2 ago, but it still stands...

Gomez-Naslund-Zherdev on the same line is pointless

If Gomez and Zherdev do end up on a line together, I see the other winger being an odd man out of sorts unless he's willing to dig for scraps around the net...
enter petr prucha...at least he's willing to take the beating going to the net, and we all know he's capable of picking up goals around the net..maybe its not ideal, but naslund would be wasted on this line.
In order to maximize our skill we should go with a good pair plus on each line..

gomez and zherdev plus prucha
Drury and naslund plus korpi/cally
dubinsky an dawes plus fritsche
betts and voros plus sjo/orr/riss depending on the situation one could be gone

***just as a note, I think these lines are also defensively sound.
Any lack of defense on the first line can be made up for by the lines ability to control the puck between gomez and zherdev. I admit prucha is not a strong defender, but he does hustle on the backcheck, this line would be similar to a nylander/straka/jagr combo
dru and cally/korpi are all defensively sound
dubi and fritsche are sound defensively as well

Last edited by DubiDubiDoo: 07-17-2008 at 07:43 AM.
DubiDubiDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2008, 07:43 AM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
Quote:
Originally Posted by d a n n y View Post
Can Korpedo play RW? Or only LW?
Korp was on the right wing when he scored against the Pens in game 5, I believe.

Love Cally, but Korp is the man here.

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2008, 07:51 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Going with Korpedo. I don't know that Cally has the offense for the second line (he may, and Korpedo may not, I'm not sure), and I don't like Prucha and Dawes on the same line. I'll go with Korpikoski's solid puck play, responsible defense and offensive potential.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2008, 07:55 AM
free0717

Sjostrom should be on that list

free0717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2008, 08:19 AM
nyrcallahan24
nomvegannom

I would like to see Dubi on the first line (like last year) and prucha, naslund, and cali on the same line.

nyrcallahan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2008, 08:31 AM
NY Ranger86

dubinsky on wing? not center? idk what to do with all these centers

NY Ranger86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2008, 08:44 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

Voted other; we don't have a legit option here.

Prucha is a LW. He's a prototypical Euro-style winger that plays the off wing; i.e. he shoots righty but plays on the left side.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2008, 09:00 AM
DontStepanMe

I voted Other: It should be naslund.

Drury-Dubinsky-naslund should be the second line.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2008, 09:05 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Mind boggling how Callahan is winning with the current make up of the roster, Prucha or Korpikoski should be the 2nd line RW in this instance.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2008, 09:06 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags225 View Post
I voted Other: It should be naslund.

Drury-Dubinsky-naslund should be the second line.
Are we doing it like that? I've been voting based off of the assumption that the previous poll choices were locked in. For instance, I might agree with you that Drury-Dubinsky-Naslund could be a line, but I won't vote other in this poll thinking Naslund, because we've already locked him in on the top line.

I'm not chastising your selection, I'm just asking for clarification on how we do this.

EDIT: Also, who the hell is "Feed Me A Stray Cat" and why did they vote for Orr?

Old
07-17-2008, 09:10 AM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Are we doing it like that? I've been voting based off of the assumption that the previous poll choices were locked in. For instance, I might agree with you that Drury-Dubinsky-Naslund could be a line, but I won't vote other in this poll thinking Naslund, because we've already locked him in on the top line.

I'm not chastising your selection, I'm just asking for clarification on how we do this.
I'm not exactly positive myself. I didn't like any of the choices for second line wing, so I chose other.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2008, 09:15 AM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerfan_79 View Post
like it or not dubinsky belongs on the 2nd line.

voted dubi obviously.
Totally agree. I just voted for him as 2nd line RW. Granted he is a natural center, but I personally like the idea of putting your best foot forward on your top 6, and using your 3rd line as a shutdown line, and 4th line strictly as a checking line. Personally I think the Rangers have the depth to do this with the 3rd and 4th lines, which to me means Dubi should get 2nd line duties on the right wing. He adds a physical element to the top 6 w/out losing speed, and or talent in the equation. Plus, he is still so young, I think he is the perfect candidate to move to the wing. Orignally I was thinking the left sie, but with two natural LW's in Naslund and Dawes, and lack of talent on the right side, Dubinsky to me seems like the perfect fit there.

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2008, 09:46 AM
Fletch

Pukka...

given the choice between Korps and Cally, wouldn't you think Cally would be a better option for the second line and Korps for the third line? Sure Cally's a third liner, but isn't Korps about the same, but younger, less experienced, and has shown less goal scoring prowess than Cally?

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2008, 09:46 AM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forechecker View Post
Korp was on the right wing when he scored against the Pens in game 5, I believe.

Love Cally, but Korp is the man here.
Thanks, my vote goes to Korpedo

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2008, 09:50 AM
Fletch

Dubi as a winger? Come on guys? Let's not try to force square pegs in round holes. Why screw with a kid's development just because currently the opportunity isn't there for him to be a top six forward? He still has an opportunity to play in 15-16 minutes per game - that's not so bad either.

The third line would be a nice place to have a shutdown line - who are the shutdown people? Are we suggesting playing Betts 15-16 minutes per night since he's the most qualified to be a shutdown center? I'm not sure I'm ready for Betts to play that much.

I understand the concepts and don't totally agree with them, but I'm not sure all the pieces are here for the team to do what we all think they should do, and certainly am against a guy like Dubi playing on a wing. There are many ways to cut a third line that will continue to advance Dubi.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2008, 09:57 AM
NYR Viper

voted fritsche......adds size, speed, and a hard forechecker.......dont understand it....the callahan-drury-dawes line was pretty successful and fritsche is a bigger, stronger, younger, better version of callahan.....seems like he would play on drury's wing

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2008, 10:07 AM
z1co80
The Incredible Hank

vCash: 50
i have always said i wanted the top two lines to look like this.

Dawes-Gomez-Naslund
Drury-Dubinsky-Zherdev

LINE 1 - Last season Dawes played better with Gomez and i think with Naslund there also it gives Gomez 2 snipers to play with, its also a speedy line that isn't top heavy and should spread scoring.

LINE 2- I keep reading peoples views on moving Dubinsky to the wing and i have to say i am coming around to the idea, my thoughts were to move Drury to the wing although it was 6 yrs ago he still has more experience playing wing than Dubinsky but its possible moving Dubi is the better option. If it was Drury that was moved it wouldn't stop him from taking the big faceoffs and in Dubi we have someone who is also very capable, i may be wrong but didn't Dubi have a better faceoff percentage than Drury in the playoffs or was it just against the Devils. If i am wrong i am sure someone will correct me .

When it comes to Zherdev i'd rather him with Drury as both him and Gomez both like to carry the puck and think they would be too similar. In my opinion a player like Zherdev is just what Drury needs.

Fritsche-Anisimov-Callahan

LINE 3 - This is assuming Anisimov makes it out of camp, to me this is a gritty high energy line that will pitch in big goals now and again.

Sjostrom-Betts-Voros/Orr

LINE 4 - Sjo provides some scoring threat with Betts just being his usual solid self and either Voros/Orr for toughness

Rissmiller - I dont see the need for signing him to be honest, i dont think he is an improvement in anyway and his salary is high.

Prucha - I would trade, we have a better player in Dawes who's cap hit isn't even half of what Prucha's is. At $1.6m Prucha to me is expendable.

z1co80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2008, 10:15 AM
NYR Viper

^^^^
naslund and dawes are both LW's.....and naslund played a lot better playing on his natural side in vancouver than he did on his off-wing

Old
07-17-2008, 10:18 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
given the choice between Korps and Cally, wouldn't you think Cally would be a better option for the second line and Korps for the third line? Sure Cally's a third liner, but isn't Korps about the same, but younger, less experienced, and has shown less goal scoring prowess than Cally?
Yeah, I hear ya Fletch. I voted Korpikoski because I want to see what he's got... I have a gut feeling that he'll succeed, though it's really not based on anything other than that . Callahan is definitely more established though.

Old
07-17-2008, 10:18 AM
FLYLine24*

Prucha and Korpi are left wingers. Plus Korpi shouldnt be on the 2nd line right away.

Callahan is a right winger, cally gets the spot (again though Dubi should be center, Dru on the right side, and Dawes on the left). So even though I vote Cally on the 2nd line, thats not who I want there.

Drury and Cally played a lot with each other last year toward the end though and started to look good together.

FLYLine24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2008, 10:19 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
Prucha and Korpi are left wingers. Plus Korpi shouldnt be on the 2nd line right away.

Callahan is a right winger, cally gets the spot (again though Dubi should be center, Dru on the right side, and Dawes on the left). So even though I vote Cally on the 2nd line, thats not who I want there.
why not fritsche?.......he is better and younger than cally