HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sjo & Rangers still negotiating

Old
07-17-2008, 12:39 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRSinceBirth View Post
And the award for least understood on NYR goes to: Sjostrom!

I'm not saying he's a first line, 100pt guy. But anyone who thinks he 'fits' the fourth line is out of their mind. He needs some time on the second line to break out, and I can most definitely see a 50-60 pt player on the PP and PK.
maybe in a pinch but I dont think Freddie was getting top 6 minutes on the Yotes

He's getting PP time next year? Over Gomer, Drury, Nazgul, Niko, Redden, Rosy, Dawes

Doubt it.

Ever notice how Freddy skates? He moves like Frozone from THE INCREDIBLES

07-17-2008, 12:40 AM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chariot View Post
maybe in a pinch but I dont think Freddie was getting top 6 minutes on the Yotes

He's getting PP time next year? Over Gomer, Drury, Nazgul, Niko, Redden, Rosy, Dawes

Doubt it.

Ever notice how Freddy skates? He moves like Frozone from THE INCREDIBLES

hahaha OMG. someone needs to put Freddies face on frozone's body

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2008, 12:48 AM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Darth Sather is going to cut him loose. Deal on the table take it or leave it.

Freddy hasn't been paying attention?
If that were the case, then Sather would have withdrawn the qualifying offer and given Sjöström a take it or leave it lowball offer. Instead, the one year qualifier with a raise is still on the table. I suspect, when all is said and done, Freddy will sign a two year deal.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2008, 01:06 AM
NYR Viper

i really hope he can play on the third line next year.....or that he gets over 10 minutes a game as he is only 24 y/o and he is super fast and IMO hasnt fully developed(like korpikoski), but could use some more ice time

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2008, 01:09 AM
NYRSinceBirth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Melnyk View Post
why should a guy who has scored about 2 goals in his last 50 games get a sniff at 2nd or 3rd line? ANd please don't blame it on his last 12 linemates or so... 4th line (and some PK)and black ace is his level ....The guy is as big a black hole of offense then Marcel Hossa...And like Hossa, he Has some skills but has no clue how to use them...
Apples and Oranges between Hossa an Freddy. Hossa couldn't produce consistently with Jaromir Jagr. Who has Sjostrom play with? I beleive his linemates before he came over were Hanzel and Vrbata? When FS was put on a reasonably talented (offensively) line, like he only got on the PP, he's shown he knows how to use his skill. Use him properly (Think bigger Prucha, but not as offensively talented) and his true colors will shine. Bury him on the 4th and forget about developing, rather you have Blair Betts neuter him of any offensive skill.

NYRSinceBirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2008, 01:09 AM
Chimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovens View Post
In the light of the Dawes deal does anyone think that Freddie is worth the money that he wants?, for one point every 7 games I think he's expendable, it's just a matter if Slats signs him to trade him or lets him walk imho.
One point for every seven games while playing with such offensively skilled powerhouses as Hollweg, Betts and Orr is more than adequate. Shoe made the 4th line a much more offensive threat all by himself.

In fact, Shoe is better than the 4th line. He has great speed and skating, good finishing skills and is solid at holding on to the puck along the boards. His defensive skills are also solid.

To me, Shoe is a better version of Callahan for example, with better offensive skills and better puckhandling.

Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2008, 01:11 AM
NYRSinceBirth

Quote:
Well his mom was an Olympic speed skater... he gets it from his momma.

Old
07-17-2008, 01:13 AM
NYRSinceBirth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimp View Post
One point for every seven games while playing with such offensively skilled powerhouses as Hollweg, Betts and Orr is more than adequate. Shoe made the 4th line a much more offensive threat all by himself.

In fact, Shoe is better than the 4th line. He has great speed and skating, good finishing skills and is solid at holding on to the puck along the boards. His defensive skills are also solid.

To me, Shoe is a better version of Callahan for example, with better offensive skills and better puckhandling.
Exactly how I would put it, but talking ill of Callahan seems to be sacrelig around here...

Old
07-17-2008, 01:16 AM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimp View Post

I generally agree, I'd like to see what Sjöström could do with better offensive linemates. But, I don't see him as the exact same type of player as Callahan because Freddy doesn't really hit as much I think there's room for both of them.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2008, 01:18 AM
NYR Viper

jeez, the more i read things around here, the more i think callahan is the next to go......they got another tenacious forechecker in fritsche who is younger and bigger and has more upside, and they got sjostrom who is as defensively capable, faster, younger and has more upside then cally......seems like the rangers might be looking to trade callahan next as he might be redundant

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2008, 01:35 AM
NYRSinceBirth

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
jeez, the more i read things around here, the more i think callahan is the next to go......they got another tenacious forechecker in fritsche who is younger and bigger and has more upside, and they got sjostrom who is as defensively capable, faster, younger and has more upside then cally......seems like the rangers might be looking to trade callahan next as he might be redundant
I think people get to like a certain player a lot, then maybe hype (I REALLY don't want to use this word, but it's kinda what I mean) him up to much more of a player that he is. Opinions come back to earth, but impressions (hype) seem harder to shake. Callahan is an example of this. He is a very good, and useful player. But he is expendable an replaceable, common type. Around these parts however he's spoken like he's untouchable... Next captain? Please.

Old
07-17-2008, 01:41 AM
dynamoovechkin

Sjo is a nifty little player. I'd say with his speed and skills, he has the potential to develop into a 25 goal scorer. He is custom built for the new NHL with his skill set, and seems to have a more promising offensive upside than your workaday 3 liner.

Still, with the logjam we have at forward, he'll be one of those guys who will have to win his roster spot in camp. With Fritsche on board, one of the Hartford guys could surprise and beat him out for a spot. He better take whatever offer is there and get with the program.

dynamoovechkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2008, 05:59 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
I think there are essentially 4 players for two spots - Fritsche, Callahan, Sjostrom and Rismiller for the RW slots on the 3rd and 4th line. In that scenario, I see Fritsche and Sjostrom coming out on top. Orr is essentially the 13th forward who plays against the teams with big time enforcers.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2008, 06:18 AM
Levitate

Sjostrom isn't going to score 20 goals anytime soon. He'd have to be on the 2nd line at least, and then have a breakout season. It's just not going to happen..he could be a solid third liner, but those don't score 20 goals

Seems like he's being set up for failure around here

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2008, 07:51 AM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J. View Post
Where are all these fwds going to play??
http://www.nypost.com/seven/07172008...87g_120239.htm

this guys article is dumb............big whoop they have solid goaltending and a great D..........there are tons of good young forwards and Dawes is NOT a 4th liner like this article says........he is a top two LW on this team

Also why is everyone complaining about the depth.............sure if they did'nt sign Rissmiller and Voros there is 2 million and they could of used the Hartford guys who by the way would still cost 1 million on the roster............big whoop it's 1 million more for experience

Is it a bad thing that there is competition and some nights someone will sit?

I see it as this

Dawes, Gomez, Zherdev
Naslund, Drury, Prucha
Fritsche, Dubinsky, Callahan
Rissmiller, Betts, Sjostrom
Voros, Orr

When a tough guy is needed then either Rissmiller or Sjostrom sits

Of course they freaking sign Sjostrom ESPECIALLY since Dawes got a cheap deal and they have room..........If they can get a 2 yr deal worth 700,000 done it's a good one

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2008, 08:12 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post

this guys article is dumb............big whoop they have solid goaltending and a great D..........there are tons of good young forwards and Dawes is NOT a 4th liner like this article says........he is a top two LW on this team

Also why is everyone complaining about the depth.............sure if they did'nt sign Rissmiller and Voros there is 2 million and they could of used the Hartford guys who by the way would still cost 1 million on the roster............big whoop it's 1 million more for experience

I see it as this

Dawes, Gomez, Zherdev
Naslund, Drury, Prucha
Voros, Orr

Of course they freaking sign Sjostrom ESPECIALLY since Dawes got a cheap deal and they have room..........If they can get a 2 yr deal worth 700,000 done it's a good one
Im really really hoping that Sather has something else up his sleeve, because if we head into the season with both Dawes and Prucha in the top 6, its going to be a long season.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2008, 08:26 AM
9darter
Soft Euro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Im really really hoping that Sather has something else up his sleeve, because if we head into the season with both Dawes and Prucha in the top 6, its going to be a long season.
Yup, into June, hopefully...

9darter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2008, 08:26 AM
nyrage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post

I see it as this

Dawes, Gomez, Zherdev
Naslund, Drury, Prucha
Voros, Orr

That's not what the article states. Brooks was referring to Fritsche.

The signing of Dawes came one day after Dan Fritsche, who was acquired from Columbus in the Nikolai Zherdev-Fedor Tyutin trade, signed a one-year deal worth $875,000 rather than go forward with arbitration. That may not represent much money as applied in a vacuum against a $56.7M salary cap, but is a great deal of money for a fourth-line candidate on a team that's left itself without any safety net except the man in front of the net, itself, who would be Henrik Lundqvist.

nyrage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2008, 08:32 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9darter View Post
Yup, into June, hopefully...
This team does not have the offensive firepower to play into June. Another top 6 forward would make me feel a lot better.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2008, 09:00 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Just to add a bit more on the Post article for those too lazy to go to the link. The relevant part regarding Sjo is:

Quote:
Fred Sjostrom sitting with a qualifier of over $800,000 - management is trying to sign him to a two-year contract in the neighborhood of $650,000 per
I for one would be very pleased with that deal or even a bit more.

BrooklynRangersFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2008, 09:00 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRSinceBirth View Post
I think people get to like a certain player a lot, then maybe hype (I REALLY don't want to use this word, but it's kinda what I mean) him up to much more of a player that he is. Opinions come back to earth, but impressions (hype) seem harder to shake. Callahan is an example of this. He is a very good, and useful player. But he is expendable an replaceable, common type. Around these parts however he's spoken like he's untouchable... Next captain? Please.
That's a pretty astute observation. Agreed.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2008, 09:12 AM
GAGLine
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
I think there are essentially 4 players for two spots - Fritsche, Callahan, Sjostrom and Rismiller for the RW slots on the 3rd and 4th line. In that scenario, I see Fritsche and Sjostrom coming out on top. Orr is essentially the 13th forward who plays against the teams with big time enforcers.
I assume that you are assuming that Prucha already has a spot and I wouldn't assume that

GAGLine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2008, 09:36 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Either Sjostrom is getting bumped to the 3rd line or he's getting dealt. There was no room for him above the 4th line last season, and I'm not quite sure with the top-six we have now that Renney is going to take a gamble and place him on the 2nd line.

I honestly don't know what to think about Shoe. He was an 11th overall pick, has good size, incredible speed, pretty good hands and is regarded as having top-six potential. What irks me is that he's never really been given that opportunity; which makes me think there is a reason for it.

He's never put up very impressive numbers at any level. 10 goals in Phoenix last season isn't bad if he was on the 3rd/4th line, but on a team like Phoenix that wasn't loaded with talent, why was he relegated to the bottom six? It doesn't add up.

He certainly has the size and speed to be a heck of a compliment for Gomez, what he seems to lack is the finishing ability. Does he have it or doesn't he? Will he be given a shot to demonstrate it if he does? Given this teams need for another legitimate top-six winger, I'm not so sure he'll get the chance.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2008, 09:49 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Seems like he's being set up for failure around here
In the little I've seen of him, as a Ranger and as a Coyote against the Rangers, he seems like someone with enough skill to go beyond the role he's historically filled. But like Trxjw, I just don't know how far beyond.

Renney was happy with Avery on the top lines, so I definitely wouldn't past him to try Sjostrom in the top 1/2 of the lineup. Does it seem out of the realm of possibility that Freddy could exceed Avery's career high 33 points in that role? I don't think so. A good gamble at <$1M in my opinion.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote