HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

UNB Varsity Reds Thread

Closed Thread

Old
07-10-2008, 10:28 AM
Alpine

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan of the Vreds View Post
UNB Vreds have announced the signing of Goaltender Travis Fullerton. Travis played the last 2 years in the QMJHL with the Siant John Sea Dogs. 07-08 was a breakout year for Fullerton posting a 24-11-6 win-loss-tie record and had a GAA of 2.98.
Really no way? Is this right!
Lived across the street from Terry and Betty and family. Watched many a Riverview Minor Hockey game, Major Midget game with Travis playing. Came to prominence 4 years ago as a 16 back stopping the Beavers to the Semi's in MJAHL.
Never liked that thing where Lewiston sent him packing but never released him and he played half a year back with the Beavers for drinking under age in Maine (21 in Maine 19 in NB) at training camp.
EDIT:
Not questioning his character. Just a legal aged Albert County boy having a brew, except he was in Maine and broke some kinda moral code. I think Albert County boys are weaned on MOOSEHEAD...end EDIT:
Later to be traded at the Dec Q window to Saint John.
Right on Travis.
UNB has a competitive spirit there.
Never took Travis as the book smart kinda kid though?

Last edited by Alpine: 07-10-2008 at 11:01 AM.
Old
07-10-2008, 12:38 PM
Fan of the Vreds

Hey Alpine,

Thanks for some insight... THis is true, it was on the front page of today's Daily Gleaner.. YOu can read up on it on their website. How are things in Moncton?

Old
07-10-2008, 01:23 PM
Ti-girl

Send a message via AIM to Ti-girl Send a message via Yahoo to Ti-girl
You guys are going to love Daine Todd.

07-12-2008, 02:18 PM
Fan of the Vreds

Can you tell us the type of player he is? Speed, play making ability, scoring touch. I could not find a lot of information on him over the internet. Any comments would be appreciated .

Old
07-13-2008, 05:43 PM
Ti-girl

Send a message via AIM to Ti-girl Send a message via Yahoo to Ti-girl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan of the Vreds View Post
Can you tell us the type of player he is? Speed, play making ability, scoring touch. I could not find a lot of information on him over the internet. Any comments would be appreciated .
Todd is a speedster, about 5'10 (generous). He was the centre of the Midget line with Ennis and Bosch.

He has great vision, has no problem going in front of the net to get scorign chances and is a hard worker. He won the hardest working Tiger 2 years in a row.

Last year he had double shoulder surgery and came back without missing a beat.

Old
07-17-2008, 08:09 AM
FreddtFoyle

Hennigar at Islander mini-camp

Rob Hennigar is at the Islanders' mini-camp this week and there is a brief (53 second) interview clip with Rob on the Islander website: http://islanders.nhl.tv/team/launch....9874&catid=214

Henny typically doesn't say a lot ... :-)

Old
07-17-2008, 04:56 PM
The Don

Andrew Desousa will be returning for his final season... Nathan O'Nabigon will be returning as well

Old
07-17-2008, 09:19 PM
Rob

Awesome. I thought O'Nabigon was gone.

Old
07-18-2008, 06:23 AM
FreddtFoyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
Awesome. I thought O'Nabigon was gone.
Nathan has obviously had a change of heart (or maybe didn't get a good pro offer?) as he received his sweater on "Senior's Night" (meaning you don't plan to come back) and planned to take his last few courses online over the summer to graduate.

It will be great to see him back again. While he doesn't make much of an impression in the regular season he is an absolute force in the playoffs ... funny how some guys play that way.

Old
07-18-2008, 07:58 AM
kexodusc

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddtFoyle View Post
Nathan has obviously had a change of heart (or maybe didn't get a good pro offer?) as he received his sweater on "Senior's Night" (meaning you don't plan to come back) and planned to take his last few courses online over the summer to graduate.

It will be great to see him back again. While he doesn't make much of an impression in the regular season he is an absolute force in the playoffs ... funny how some guys play that way.
Nabber had been telling people who asked that he was likely coming back, but you aren't the first person FreddtFoyle to report he was finished so maybe he's been flip-flopping for some time on this decision? I believe Johnston, Perry, and Brian Stewart also got their sweaters pre-maturely...maybe he just wants a road and home jersey to keep?

With DeSousa back, what does that do for Aldred on the blue line - gotta think with 2 new (larger) recruits, and 5 D-men returning, he's more valuable as a checking forward?

Old
07-18-2008, 07:53 PM
Fan of the Vreds

Wow this is really exciting news that Nabber is coming back. I do agree that he does save his best hockey for the playoffs.. I thought that he and Henderson played really well together at Nationals..

According to a post I seen on here earlier Coach McDougall had planned for Aldred to stay on defense this year as long as he stuck to his strenght and conditioning program. We will have lots of depth on defense this year which is nice..

Did anyone hear who the un-named potential recurit was that visited the campus last week and if things went well? Looks like we will have lots of depth on offense as well. Espically if Gardner is still recruting...

Who do you think will center the 1st line this year? I think Gardner will keep Macintosh-Bailey-Pearce together.. We could have one of the best checking lines in the CIS if he put Nabber-Henderson-Hodgson on a line...

I think this years team will have a lot of grit, I'm looking forward to the Fall Classic starting September 19th. SMU, Dal and Carleton, should be a good warm up!

Last edited by Fan of the Vreds: 07-18-2008 at 07:55 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old
07-20-2008, 09:48 PM
eraserhead

Quote:
Rob Hennigar is at the Islanders' mini-camp this week and there is a brief (53 second) interview clip with Rob on the Islander website: http://islanders.nhl.tv/team/launch....9874&catid=214

Henny typically doesn't say a lot ... :-)
Aweome. He's wearing a UNB hat.

Old
07-28-2008, 01:16 AM
Fan of the Vreds

OK so it's 0250 in the morning and I am at work bored and since there has not been much written on this thread in awhile I thought I would predict what the lines may be for this year...

Line 1A
Tremblay/Todd/Dickeson

Line 1B
Pearce/Bailey/Macintosh

3rd line
Henderson/Clendenning/O'Nabigon

4th line
Hodgson/Seymour/Hepditch-Dietrich

Defense Pairs
Friesen/Stamler
Bowman/DaCosta
Gallant/Harty
Aldred/DaSousa

Anyone have anything to add? Season predictions? Only 52 days until the puck drops at the AUC UNB and Carleton can't wait!

Old
07-28-2008, 08:33 AM
FreddtFoyle

You might see Bailey centering the top line, with the rookie taking his place on the second line. In the second half Kyle was UNB's best faceoff man (surpassing Hennigar). The trick will be finding who can centre Dickson and Tremblay -- Hennigar was unique and you can't just drop anybody into this creative line. When Dickson or Hennigar were injured last year about the only guy I thought who could step into the line was MacIntosh.

Old
07-29-2008, 06:09 PM
kexodusc

I noticed in the 2009 playing regulations that the CIS has decided to award the AUS with a rotating birth for men's hockey Nationals at Lakehead, thus limiting the 2 pools to 3 OUA teams.

TEAMS
The six teams for the 2009 Canadian Interuniversity Sport Championship (University Cup) are as follows:
- OUA Representative
- QSSF Representative (Participates in the OUA Sport Conference – East Division)
- Canada West Representative
- Atlantic University Sport Representative
- Host (Lakehead University)
- Assigned berth rotating (AUS)
(Refer to Policy 20.20.4.6 for more details)

Old
07-30-2008, 06:56 AM
FreddtFoyle

Wow, common sense from the CIS!

I have long advocated that the CIS should change their "rotation" in deference who is host ... I never thought it was a good idea to have three AUS participants when UNB and UdeM hosted and wasn't looking forward to seeing a (probably uncompetitive) extra OUA team at this year's Nationals.

Old
07-30-2008, 07:11 AM
timbitca

Quote:
Wow, common sense from the CIS!

I have long advocated that the CIS should change their "rotation" in deference who is host ... I never thought it was a good idea to have three AUS participants when UNB and UdeM hosted and wasn't looking forward to seeing a (probably uncompetitive) extra OUA team at this year's Nationals.
Good. Saw this coming for a while, but good move on the CIS's part. Having four teams from the OUA would have been incredibly boring, heck. 95% chance it would have ended up being AUS vs CW in the finals. There hasn't been an OUA team in the Final game in the last 5 years. Not saying there aren't any good teams in the OUA, but the caliber is way down compared to the other leagues, heck even CW has poor teams. While here in the AUS we've got 8 teams that can beat anybody on any given night.

*starts praying for a UNB vs U de M final re-match*

Old
07-30-2008, 09:40 AM
Alpine

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbitca View Post
*starts praying for a UNB vs U de M final re-match*
By special rule only players who are from Atlantic Canada or who have played here can suit up.
Not that UNB has an inferiority complex about NB or Atlantic players

Old
07-30-2008, 10:15 AM
kexodusc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine View Post
By special rule only players who are from Atlantic Canada or who have played here can suit up.
Not that UNB has an inferiority complex about NB or Atlantic players
Fair enough, when there are at least 8 or so other franchophone hockey programs instead of just UQTR luring all those awesome francophone recruits, thus making the numbers fair and proportional to the anglophone population/team ratio, we'll gladly agree to that rule. If it were me, I wouldn't want to surrender that demographic advantage though.

We've got a few more coming this year in Jordan Clendenning and Jon Harty! What we lack in quantity, we make up for in quality...

Old
07-30-2008, 08:12 PM
Alpine

Quote:
Originally Posted by kexodusc View Post
Fair enough, when there are at least 8 or so other franchophone hockey programs instead of just UQTR luring all those awesome francophone recruits, thus making the numbers fair and proportional to the anglophone population/team ratio, we'll gladly agree to that rule. If it were me, I wouldn't want to surrender that demographic advantage though.

We've got a few more coming this year in Jordan Clendenning and Jon Harty! What we lack in quantity, we make up for in quality...
Yeah, Fullerton, Clendenning, buddy from Oromocto.....whose name I can't recall at the moment who played out west.
Just yanking your chain a little. I should leave that to professional trash talkers.
But sometimes I just can't help myself

Old
08-02-2008, 05:54 AM
Alpine

Happy New Brunswick Day weekend to my fellow NBers, enjoy.

Old
08-02-2008, 07:16 AM
kexodusc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine View Post
Happy New Brunswick Day weekend to my fellow NBers, enjoy.
Back at ya buddy...I'll be celebrating with a case of your namesake...

Old
08-02-2008, 10:16 AM
STUTOMMIES

Quote:
Originally Posted by kexodusc View Post
Back at ya buddy...I'll be celebrating with a case of your namesake...
Yeah, happy NB Day to all New Brunswickers and also happy civic holiday to the rest of Canada that is celebrating on this weekeend!!

Old
08-21-2008, 05:44 AM
STUTOMMIES

Drew going to the E

From the UPEI website.

August 20, 2008
Paul Drew is the latest UPEI Panther graduate to jump to the ranks of professional hockey.
The 24-year-old goaltender, who concluded his four-year university career in February, has signed a one-year contract with the Dayton Bombers of the East Coast Hockey League.
Drew said he's happy to wind up in the ECHL, which is one step below the American Hockey League, especially because he wasn't sure if he would land anywhere.
“I was close to signing with Amarillo (of the lower-tier Central Hockey League) because I didn't think any ECHL teams were interested. I just had to be patient. At first, I didn't even think I'd sign (anywhere), so I jumped at the first opportunity.
“But once other teams got interested, I had to tell Amarillo the bad news, which was one of the hardest things I've had to do. But the ECHL is where I wanted to be. I can always go back to the Central if I need to, but I wanted to try the East Coast.”
Panthers head coach Dylan Taylor said he knew all along that Drew would sign somewhere.
“Paul has the talent and the track record, it was just a matter of gaining some exposure for him. I knew there would be a variety of teams that would be interested, we just had to put time into it, get the word out.”
Drew is the third Panther to sign a pro contract this summer. Forward Stephen Cooke joined the CHL's Rapid City Rush, based in South Dakota, while forward Jeff MacDermid has signed with the South Carolina Stingrays of the ECHL.
Drew said his decision to join Dayton was based on two factors.
“The number one reason was because it's not too far from where my parents live (in Merlin, Ontario). They're only an hour from Detroit, and Detroit's only three hours from Dayton.”
The second reason Drew offered is a little more complex. He feels that because the Bombers do not have an NHL parent club, he is less likely to be bumped down the depth chart by players who are NHL property.
“It's an unaffiliated team, so there's less politics. I'm not drafted, and affiliated teams are always trying to bring in their own guys that are drafted. (Dayton) still gets callups to the AHL if it's easier for (an AHL squad) to call me up than a guy that's further away.
“At first, when I heard that they weren't affiliated, I (wasn't excited), but when Dayton explained to me that they've had half their team called up to the A, it's because their location is so convenient.”
According to Drew, it was a connection from long ago, when he was playing for the Plymouth Whalers of the Ontario Hockey League, that got the Bombers interested in him.
“One of their owners (team president Costa Papista) was involved with the (OHL's) Saginaw Spirit and that's part of how they found me, playing against them.”
Drew expects the jump to pro hockey to have its pros and cons.
“It'll be a big adjustment because you test out your body a little more. You have 72 games a season, and you only play 28 (in university). Even if you play the full schedule, you're only travelling four hours in the AUS, whereas in the Coast, you're flying all over the U.S. and Canada. It'll be a big adjustment travel-wise and with game play.

“But you don't have the stresses of school. You have a chance to totally focus on hockey instead of on the books. You practice every single day and your preparation is a lot better.”
Taylor believes the netminder and all of this year’s graduates will be uniquely missed at UPEI.
“Paul is a veteran player who had a strong career. Paul has left a nice legacy for himself. He used the program to develop, further his education and provide himself security for his future while developing his game and gaining the opportunity to move on to professional opportunities in the hockey world. We are very happy for all our graduates and we know they will represent UPEI and our hockey program well.”

By Josh Lewis

Mea Culpa - Meant to post on the AUS Schedule page.

Old
08-21-2008, 03:20 PM
kexodusc

Glad he's doing what he wants to do...

Side note - last year he must have been injured or something. This guy was one of the top 3 goalies in the AUS every year he's been here IMO, not always recognized by stats because of the team he played for. But last year was pretty hard for him. His save % was a bit worse than typical, but stats aside, he just seemed to be "off".

But he was there when we needed him at Universiade and helped the AUS Men's team win Gold for Team Canada. Definitely an AUS grad I'll be keeping an eye on.

Closed Thread