HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Could the same problem be back?

Old
07-17-2008, 10:38 AM
Fletch

vCash: 500
the players defered to Jagr because that was their best chance at helping the Rangers get a goal.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2008, 10:44 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

No offense to Naslund but Jagr >>>>>>>> Naslund.

Also, lots of players view Jagr as one of their heroes, namely the Czech players such as Straka, Rozsival, Malik, Prucha, etc. With Jagr gone (and well Straka and Malik are too), it's the hope that a guy like Rozsival will no longer look to pass before shooting.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2008, 11:38 AM
jhnyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerfan_79 View Post
If you got the point of the message then why bother busting chops with correcting the spelling?

It makes you sound like a little child weather you realize it or not.

Enjoy our teams message board for the sake of peaceful discussion.

LGR!!!!
Actually, when I first read the original poster's post, I read it fairly quickly (as most are wont to do on the internet) and I read it as "DIFFER"... assuming he meant the players will feel the opposite of Naslund, creating a problem.

But he meant DEFER... meaning they'd agree with him.
Opposing vs. agreeing... 2 different things.

And if you don't get on people for their simple spelling mistakes, then they'll keep doing it, assuming their mistakes are correct, thereby lowering the collective intelligence quotient. You don't have to be a Nazi about it... but correcting grammar and spelling is for the greater good. Those who have a problem with it are probably of the personality type that can't admit errors.

jhnyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2008, 11:45 AM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
the players defered to Jagr because that was their best chance at helping the Rangers get a goal.
exactly...

Hey this is the team Renney and Sather wanted so I EXPECT a 1st place finish and anything less then an Eastern Conference playoff birth is a complete failure..

If the Rangers get off to the same start they did the past TWO seasons then Renney should be fired.

No more excuses...all of them went out the door on July 1st.

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2008, 11:51 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
exactly...

Hey this is the team Renney and Sather wanted so I EXPECT a 1st place finish and anything less then an Eastern Conference playoff birth is a complete failure..

If the Rangers get off to the same start they did the past TWO seasons then Renney should be fired.

woah woah woah....a 1st place finish or failure is a bit harsh.....i understand this is the team they want, of course it is, what are they going to say?..."this is nothing like the team we want"...?......

considering how young this team is i think we need to have some patience, however if they dont make the playoffs(barring any major injuries.....like hank going down for 20 games) i will be disapointed

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2008, 12:01 PM
NYRSinceBirth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
exactly...

I hope your joking. Getting the team Renney and Co. wants means long term success and an easier time adapting to changes or difficulties. Immediate success is not a result of getting on track long term. What would you rather, the Tampa Bay Lightning of the last 10 years, or the Detroit Red Wings of the last 10 years? One team was put together, looking to win now, and has been a bottom feeder since. While the other has long term plans and has consistently been a tpo contender. Hell, look at the Rangers during that time: buy superstars for now = fail. Get a coach that plans ahead and can develop homegrown talent = playoffs three years an counting.

I understand what your saying though, Renney finally got what he wanted, he can't hide behind JJ for excuses. I hope the team shines, but if the plan doesn't work we know who to hold accountable.

I still hope your post was partially sarcastic to convey a point though. Point being the one I just agreed with you with.

NYRSinceBirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2008, 12:24 PM
94now

Naslund? They will defer to Zherdev.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2008, 12:50 PM
Fletch

viper...

the team is quite young, but still somehow managed to push the payroll close to the cap. So they figured out how to spend money while staying young. I usually have higher expectations when a team spends more (perhaps that's just me - if I pay $50 for something I expect more than if I pay $20 for something similar).

Old
07-17-2008, 02:56 PM
CMac17
Scaaaaaaar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierDaddy View Post
If you're going to correct someone's grammer you should make damn sure yours is correct. I'm no gramarian, but I think you meant to write "...but it's (contraction of it is) and you ended a sentence with a preposition "...defer to..."

I sould stick to hockey commentary.
it's "grammar" ok j/k... besides, you're right about the grammar part of the post!

By no means do I think the loss of Jagr is going to paint a bleak future for the Rangers but I also wouldn't go so far as to say Naslund could ever step into a role of having that much on his shoulders. NO ONE is as scary in the "O"-zone as Jagr, IMO.

Anyway that's already been posted a bunch on this thread so just chippin' in and resurrecting the spelling sect of the grammar/spelling police

CMac17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2008, 03:31 PM
ThirdEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureGM97 View Post
Not only that but Naslund understands he is a part just like everyone else and doesn't feel the need to carry the team.
I think you hit the nail on the head here.

One thing I didn't like last season is that Jagr wanted to be the center of attention and at the same time he didn't (refusing to take a shot in the shootout, etc...), which I thought caused unnecessary chemistry issues. One day he would be the best player on the ice, and other times he would disappear completely for extended periods of time. This probably caused his team mates to doubt him at times, which I'm sure didn't help

Also, Jagr was inept when it came to goal scoring last season, which created problems all on its own (maybe it was truly his shoulder not being 100% though, but we'll never know). Naslund scored the same amount of goals as Jagr last year and he didn't play nearly as many minutes, and with worse line mates. I think him and Gomez will get along fine, although who knows. I thought Gomez and Jagr would mesh before last season too, and boy was I ever wrong.

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2008, 04:52 PM
Blueshirt Brawler

I don't think Naslund has the same type of personality as Jagr. It was obvious that when Jagr didn't get his way he would berate guys like Straka and Rozsival and that is why they always deferred to him when they were on the ice with him. It's a different team and I don't see Naslund being that selfish kind of player. Look being selfish worked for Jagr more often than not but you would have to say his stubborness definitely cost us some games.

Blueshirt Brawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2008, 05:01 PM
Fletch

Jagr...

berated Rozsival and Straka? When was this?

It's actually funny reading how evil Jagr was. You'd never know by watching him on the ice or reading what he had to say in interviews. I just thought the guy wanted to win. I further thought that he was one of the most talented players in the world with the puck and the best chance to win was to put the puck on the stick of one of the best players in the world. Guess that's just me. If everyone else sees it as selfish, fine, I see it as just being that good.

Old
07-17-2008, 05:04 PM
Fletch

Third Eye...

I think it can be argued that Jagr passed more than in past years and took less shots (possibly because of the shoulder) and that his linemates and defensemen weren't putting the biscuit in the basket. It wasn't like Hossa didn't have his chances during the first 15 games of the season in which he played with Jagr and tallied zero goals. It wasn't like Straka totally lost any semblance of a scoring touch this season either. Both were pretty inept at finishing the chances they were afforded, which did bring down Jagr's point total somewhat - not to the tune of 25 points, but 10-15? Perhaps (talking comparatively speaking from prior seasons).

Old
07-17-2008, 07:32 PM
newyorkrangers11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynHockey99 View Post
Differ instead defer? Calibur instead caliber? Brutal spelling dude. We all have typos, but come on, what's education coming to.
so any view on the thread or are you just going to be a little teacher and correct all of my spelling mistakes. I apologize for my typos and PROMISE it wont happen again just so no1 else freaks.

newyorkrangers11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2008, 07:44 PM
NYRSinceBirth

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorkrangers11 View Post
so any view on the thread or are you just going to be a little teacher and correct all of my spelling mistakes. I apologize for my typos and PROMISE it wont happen again just so no1 else freaks.
Caps please. Question mark, not a period. Italics or bold to show emphasis, not caps; they can be misconstrued as an acronym or error. Won't, it's a contraction will not. It's "no one," we don't join numbers and letters. Freaks alone is incorrect, I believe you are trying to say "freaks out."

Haha I'm kidding. Who cares if you aren't perfect as long as you can convey a message in some form of organized English grammar who the **** really cares.

NYRSinceBirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2008, 02:56 PM
D713B

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierDaddy View Post
If you're going to correct someone's grammer you should make damn sure yours is correct. I'm no gramarian, but I think you meant to write "...but it's (contraction of it is) and you ended a sentence with a preposition "...defer to..."

I sould stick to hockey commentary.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
It's it's not its.

Sorry, couldn't resist.
Tried to be polite and point out that he was using the incorrect word countless times to relay his message to the community. I never said he had to submit a proper research paper.

I suppose there is an exemption from the rule if your correcting the grammar of one who just pointed out that another was using an incorrect word.

D713B is offline   Reply With Quote