HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Sjo & Rangers still negotiating

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-17-2008, 10:01 AM
  #51
Fletch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 20,486
vCash: 500
MJ...

he has the skill, but does he have the head? I didn't watch a heck of a lot of 'Yotes game last season (there's only so many teams you can really watch and they weren't up on my list), so I can't say how he played there. You look at his ice time, and it makes you scratch your head. Either the coach was an idiot, or he couldn't figure out what to do with Sjostrom because he was wildly inconsistent. He'd play in 7 minutes then 19 minutes in a game. Was he just jerked around or did he float around in way too many games to get consistent ice time and in the end they were fed-up and traded him away. We may find the answer, but we've seen so man guys with skill not realize their potential in NY.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2008, 10:17 AM
  #52
NYRSinceBirth
Registered User
 
NYRSinceBirth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 2,835
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post

I honestly don't know what to think about Shoe. He was an 11th overall pick, has good size, incredible speed, pretty good hands and is regarded as having top-six potential. What irks me is that he's never really been given that opportunity; which makes me think there is a reason for it.

He's never put up very impressive numbers at any level. 10 goals in Phoenix last season isn't bad if he was on the 3rd/4th line, but on a team like Phoenix that wasn't loaded with talent, why was he relegated to the bottom six? It doesn't add up.

He certainly has the size and speed to be a heck of a compliment for Gomez, what he seems to lack is the finishing ability. Does he have it or doesn't he? Will he be given a shot to demonstrate it if he does? Given this teams need for another legitimate top-six winger, I'm not so sure he'll get the chance.
"Given the need" may help shoestring in this case. Having a need for someone leaves holes, or as Renney might see it, opportunites. as mentioned before, in LA Avery was never seen as true top six talent, but he comes to NY and all of a sudden he can handle it (granted, with Jagr mostly). We can see he's got nifty hands (just look at the goal against us when he was on PHX), size, and wheels. The only thing missing is minutes. Give him a shot, we have the spot. Worst case we move him to the bottom six, best case we get a top six guy for under 1m.

It's hard to give a reason why a player gets less time. If you want to question why Sjo wasn't ever given a real shot at top six, then you've got to question why a guy like Prucha has ever lost his top six time. Same scenario. Maybe shoestring proved his energy and defensive ability too much and not enough of his offensive skill? Maybe his hands go overlooked? He's not very flashy. It almost looks as if there isn't an explaination; only the coaches know. But if you're willing to put Prucha in the top six while Renney is not, maybe he knows more than we think. The way I see it, if Prucha can produce yet LOSE ice time, why shouldn't we take a chance on Freddy as a replacement?

Note: notice I said chance. There is no sure things in our situation, but if we see something I think we should experiment all options before burning bridges.

NYRSinceBirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2008, 10:23 AM
  #53
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 27,304
vCash: 500
i remember hearing from the pheonix fans that he was never able to get any significant offensive minutes anywhere in the organization.....i guess their AHL coach liked american and canadien players and didnt give him a serious role so when he won a spot in the nhl gretzky just slotted him in as a 4th liner with pk time......i think if he gets some minutes he will put up a decent amount of points

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2008, 10:24 AM
  #54
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 27,304
vCash: 500
think afinegenov except with better knowledge of the game and a much much better defensive game

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2008, 10:32 AM
  #55
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him
 
nyr2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 22,318
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
think afinegenov except with better knowledge of the game and a much much better defensive game
If only we could combine their names... Maxim Sjostrom?

__________________

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2008, 10:37 AM
  #56
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 27,304
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
If only we could combine their names... Maxim Sjostrom?
haha.....that player would be scary good

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2008, 10:41 AM
  #57
NYRSinceBirth
Registered User
 
NYRSinceBirth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 2,835
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
i remember hearing from the pheonix fans that he was never able to get any significant offensive minutes anywhere in the organization.....i guess their AHL coach liked american and canadien players and didnt give him a serious role so when he won a spot in the nhl gretzky just slotted him in as a 4th liner with pk time......i think if he gets some minutes he will put up a decent amount of points
That's another good point, sometimes an organization just misjudges or flat out misuses a player. Why make hat mistake again and not give him a chance? I honestly haven't seen any reason not to. And make excuses all you want, bu lacking or inconsistent offensive numbers are the result of inconsistent/low ice time. Especially when your with players that are clearly not on the same offensive level as you (Sjo >>> Betts > Orr > Hollywood)

NYRSinceBirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2008, 10:57 AM
  #58
Trxjw
Moderator
Bored.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Land of no calls..
Country: United States
Posts: 15,801
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRSinceBirth View Post
That's another good point, sometimes an organization just misjudges or flat out misuses a player. Why make hat mistake again and not give him a chance? I honestly haven't seen any reason not to. And make excuses all you want, bu lacking or inconsistent offensive numbers are the result of inconsistent/low ice time. Especially when your with players that are clearly not on the same offensive level as you (Sjo >>> Betts > Orr > Hollywood)
I don't see an organization drafting a kid 11th overall and then never using him properly, doesn't make much sense.

Going through all of Sjostrom's goals on NHL.com, it doesn't seem like he's really a finesse player but more of a grinder with a ton of speed. Virtually all of his goals were deflections or rebounds. I still don't see Renney & Co taking a flyer on him as a top-six winger when he hasn't proved himself as such. 3rd line? Absolutely, but 2nd line to start the season is pushing it IMO.

Fritsche - Dubi - Sjostrom, now there's a 3rd line that would cause a ton of trouble for the opposing team.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2008, 11:02 AM
  #59
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 27,304
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
I don't see an organization drafting a kid 11th overall and then never using him properly, doesn't make much sense.

Going through all of Sjostrom's goals on NHL.com, it doesn't seem like he's really a finesse player but more of a grinder with a ton of speed. Virtually all of his goals were deflections or rebounds. I still don't see Renney & Co taking a flyer on him as a top-six winger when he hasn't proved himself as such. 3rd line? Absolutely, but 2nd line to start the season is pushing it IMO.

Fritsche - Dubi - Sjostrom, now there's a 3rd line that would cause a ton of trouble for the opposing team.
they may not want to move him up to the second line, however he obviously had the skill when he was drafted....also, like i said the pheonix AHL coach didnt like europeans, so he put him into a defensive role/grinder which he excelled at....he reminds me so much of afinegenov its not funny.....super fast, above average skill, however he has a ton more defensive skill.....i really hope he can get 3rd line minutes either here, or somewhere else as he deserves it...he never complained, he just worked hard

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2008, 11:06 AM
  #60
Shark Staal
Woah
 
Shark Staal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Vermont
Country: Germany
Posts: 16,609
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
they may not want to move him up to the second line, however he obviously had the skill when he was drafted....also, like i said the pheonix AHL coach didnt like europeans, so he put him into a defensive role/grinder which he excelled at....he reminds me so much of afinegenov its not funny.....super fast, above average skill, however he has a ton more defensive skill.....i really hope he can get 3rd line minutes either here, or somewhere else as he deserves it...he never complained, he just worked hard
Afinogenov is the most over-rated player in the NHL, basicly all Sabre fan dispies him

Shark Staal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2008, 11:09 AM
  #61
DonCherrysSuit
Powerplay Pass Party
 
DonCherrysSuit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Buffalo
Country: United States
Posts: 917
vCash: 500
Sjo definitely has skill that warrants a closer look. He basically dominated in the extremely limited role we gave him

DonCherrysSuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2008, 11:17 AM
  #62
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 27,304
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubblegumGang184434 View Post
Afinogenov is the most over-rated player in the NHL, basicly all Sabre fan dispies him
i know, but that is because he is an individual...i meant he reminds me of him in the good ways.....great speed and good size, above average skill and IMO will be a late bloomer.....he is better than max where max is bad......he uses his teammates and he is very good defensively.....sounds like a better player than max if he can reach his potential

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2008, 11:17 AM
  #63
Trxjw
Moderator
Bored.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Land of no calls..
Country: United States
Posts: 15,801
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
they may not want to move him up to the second line, however he obviously had the skill when he was drafted....also, like i said the pheonix AHL coach didnt like europeans, so he put him into a defensive role/grinder which he excelled at....he reminds me so much of afinegenov its not funny.....super fast, above average skill, however he has a ton more defensive skill.....i really hope he can get 3rd line minutes either here, or somewhere else as he deserves it...he never complained, he just worked hard
You said he might not have liked Europeans, not that he definitely didn't. That's assuming a lot either way.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2008, 11:19 AM
  #64
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 27,304
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
You said he might not have liked Europeans, not that he definitely didn't. That's assuming a lot either way.
i am just going off what the pheonix fans said happened with him......wheres futuregm when you need him lol

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2008, 04:47 PM
  #65
Richter35
Registered User
 
Richter35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,346
vCash: 500
650k/2 years? why are they even hesitating? Thats an absolute steal compared to rissmiller at a mill. GET IT DONE SLATS

Richter35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2008, 05:11 PM
  #66
9darter
Soft Euro
 
9darter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Göteborg
Country: Sweden
Posts: 654
vCash: 738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richter35 View Post
650k/2 years? why are they even hesitating? Thats an absolute steal compared to rissmiller at a mill. GET IT DONE SLATS
Erm, that's supposed to be the Rangers' offer... Sjo wants a wee bit more...

9darter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2008, 05:25 PM
  #67
Trxjw
Moderator
Bored.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Land of no calls..
Country: United States
Posts: 15,801
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9darter View Post
Erm, that's supposed to be the Rangers' offer... Sjo wants a wee bit more...
You're a wee bit wrong according to BB.

Quote:
Freddie Sjostrom is apparently more clearheaded than we are -- he is not seeking a big raise over last year's $800,000 salary, he is actually ready to accept a cut to $650,000 in exchange for a two-year deal, with negotiations over those terms still ongoing. Kudos to Sjostrom -- those are the right terms for him.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2008, 05:51 PM
  #68
jas
Unsatisfied
 
jas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NJ
Posts: 12,616
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
i am just going off what the pheonix fans said happened with him......wheres futuregm when you need him lol

Right here - http://bleacherreport.com/users/31914-Chris-Hoeler

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2008, 06:00 PM
  #69
Shark Staal
Woah
 
Shark Staal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Vermont
Country: Germany
Posts: 16,609
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
haha, i think i saw one of his comments. i looked at the avatar and was like...nah cant be.

Shark Staal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2008, 07:31 PM
  #70
FutureGM97
Registered User
 
FutureGM97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Connecticut, USA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,832
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubblegumGang184434 View Post
haha, i think i saw one of his comments. i looked at the avatar and was like...nah cant be.
Yes that is me...

as for Freddie in Phoenix, he didn't get the offensive line minutes that he should of. He was drafted because of his offensive skills but he was having trouble producing as a major contributor. He would have his spurts like last year's eastern conference swing for Phoenix he was great but then wouldn't score. Im not sure if it was his linemates or what but he would just turn off offensively. If he has good linemates and gets the time i think he will definitely produce like he was meant to when Phx picked him in the first round. In New York, his hard work and determination will definitely pay off. He is a great guy to have.

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2008, 09:21 PM
  #71
True Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 14,710
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
I think there are essentially 4 players for two spots - Fritsche, Callahan, Sjostrom and Rismiller for the RW slots on the 3rd and 4th line. In that scenario, I see Fritsche and Sjostrom coming out on top. Orr is essentially the 13th forward who plays against the teams with big time enforcers.
I think that you are dead wrong, Jas. I think that Orr plays every game that he is capable of playing. He did last year, he will again this year. If Dubinsky is on the third line, then I think his wings are Fritshe and Callahan, with Voros and Orr being the wings on the 4th line. If, Dubinsky is the 2nd line center with Drury as wing, then Sjostrom breaks in as 3rd line wing, with Fritz as the center and Callahan as the wing.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2008, 09:24 PM
  #72
Shark Staal
Woah
 
Shark Staal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Vermont
Country: Germany
Posts: 16,609
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
I think that you are dead wrong, Jas. I think that Orr plays every game that he is capable of playing. He did last year, he will again this year. If Dubinsky is on the third line, then I think his wings are Fritshe and Callahan, with Voros and Orr being the wings on the 4th line. If, Dubinsky is the 2nd line center with Drury as wing, then Sjostrom breaks in as 3rd line wing, with Fritz as the center and Callahan as the wing.
he's on the piles now....and he sucks.

I think the lineup for offense will look something like

Dawes-Gomez-Zherdev
Nazzy-Drury-Prucha
Fritsche-Dubi-Fritsche
Korpedo-Betts-Orr/Voros/Sjostrom

Shark Staal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2008, 09:30 PM
  #73
Rags225
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Queens, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 5,371
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubblegumGang184434 View Post
he's on the piles now....and he sucks.

I think the lineup for offense will look something like

Dawes-Gomez-Zherdev
Nazzy-Drury-Prucha
Fritsche-Dubi-Fritsche
Korpedo-Betts-Orr/Voros/Sjostrom
is he that good that he can play both RW and LW all at once?

Rags225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2008, 09:32 PM
  #74
Shark Staal
Woah
 
Shark Staal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Vermont
Country: Germany
Posts: 16,609
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags225 View Post
is he that good that he can play both RW and LW all at once?
haha i meant Callahan on LW.

Shark Staal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2008, 09:37 PM
  #75
Rags225
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Queens, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 5,371
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubblegumGang184434 View Post
haha i meant Callahan on LW.
i figured as much. just bustin your chops.

Rags225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:45 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.