HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Let's Build Next Years Team - Second Line Right Wing

View Poll Results: Who should be the Second Line Right Wing for next years team?
Petr Prucha 46 40.00%
Ryan Callahan 23 20.00%
Aaron Voros 1 0.87%
Patrick Rissmiller 1 0.87%
Brandon Dubinsky 11 9.57%
Lauri Korpikoski 18 15.65%
Dan Fritsche 8 6.96%
Colton Orr 2 1.74%
Artem Anisimov 2 1.74%
Greg Moore 0 0%
Other (please list below) 3 2.61%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-17-2008, 11:28 AM
z1co80
The Incredible Hank

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
^^^^
naslund and dawes are both LW's.....and naslund played a lot better playing on his natural side in vancouver than he did on his off-wing
yes i know they are both LW's but does that mean that with Gomez he wont gel ? who knows. It wouldn't hurt to try.

i even forgot to add Korpikoski and the more i look at it makes me think Sather will make another trade

z1co80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2008, 11:39 AM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
why not fritsche?.......he is better and younger than cally
fritsche also has played for parts of 3 seasons... lets see what Cally can do for a full year before we can say Fritsche is better. After coming back from the AHL he was putting up about half pt per game, and that was w/ Drury at center (who is not known for setting people up, and a player who he is almost exactly alike) and a rotation of straka or avery. it's not like that was a killer line, and there were some chemistry issues. He also had 4 pts in 10 PO games and was the best player on the ice on his line. I really think he could become a perennial 20-30-50 pt player if playing w/ the correct people.

Fritsche, all I can go by is reports, as I don't remember seeing him play. let's see how he can actually fit into this team, and if he develops any type of chemistry w/ people.

As for age:

Fritsche - 7/13/85
Cally - 3/21/85

a whole 4 months younger. age has no effect whatsoever.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2008, 12:02 PM
Fletch

Fritsche...

could be Cally's replacement if a guy like Korps shows he ready for the NHL. Similar players (from what I head about Fritsche). Similar age.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2008, 12:06 PM
Olympic nut

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
I voted Dubinsky, but I did that without thinking that he should actually be put on the left wing.

I simply don't agree with shoving Drury over to the wing when, at this stage in their carreers, he is a superior centre to Dubinsky, who isn't proven there but probably can play in that position.

007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2008, 12:08 PM
AXN

Fritsche is bigger than Callahan. If you want size go for Fritsche. He has the same potential as Callahan. If you want scoring go for Prucha. Prucha worked well on that line last year. Don't know why Korpikorski here? He played well at left wing with Dubinsky last year at the prospect tournament.

AXN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2008, 12:12 PM
NYR Viper

fritsche played with nash at points during last season and he put up points until he was demoted when someone got healthy

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2008, 12:27 PM
Fletch

Fritsche is bigger...

but is he more successful physically? I think Callahan hits a lot more than Fritsche, which in and of itself is meaningless, but it is a stat. Cally seems to be able to handle himself physically, and I'm sure Fritsche is. But will Cally's hit result in more turnovers that will benefit whoever he plays with? Bigger isn't always better.

Old
07-17-2008, 12:30 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
Dubi as a winger? Come on guys? Let's not try to force square pegs in round holes. Why screw with a kid's development just because currently the opportunity isn't there for him to be a top six forward? He still has an opportunity to play in 15-16 minutes per game - that's not so bad either.

The third line would be a nice place to have a shutdown line - who are the shutdown people? Are we suggesting playing Betts 15-16 minutes per night since he's the most qualified to be a shutdown center? I'm not sure I'm ready for Betts to play that much.

I understand the concepts and don't totally agree with them, but I'm not sure all the pieces are here for the team to do what we all think they should do, and certainly am against a guy like Dubi playing on a wing. There are many ways to cut a third line that will continue to advance Dubi.
Is moving a guy to the wing to get more icetime and potentially play a bigger role really screwing with a players development? I don't know, I see Dubinsky as a team-first type of player. He has basically taken every opportunity given to him, and excelled. That's why I don't think it will effect him all that much. Plus, look at some other players that were drafted as centers, and played that position for a season or so, and moved over. Take a look at Alex Tanguay. Or Pierre Marc Bouchard. Both were centers that made the move to the wings early in thier careers. Both have experienced a lot of success in doing so.

For Betts as a shutdown guy, I don't see a big problem with that either. If he was to do that, why not try Frtische on the left side, and Sjostrom if re-signed on the right? The line has good speed, Betts and Sjostrom to me are both players who would excel in that role. To me I view both of these players as guys that will outwork, and outhustle the opposition. With Fritsche on the left side, I think this trio could work.

That leaves plenty of combo's for the 4th lines, and also to me makes certain players tradeable assets. Namely Pru, and possibly Cally. Now I love Cally, but hell you gotta give to get right? What would the value of as package deal involving Pru and Cally be? And, does the team really look that bad if this was to happen?

Top 6
Naslund Gomez Zherdev
Dawes Drury Dubinsky

Shutdown line
Fritsche Betts Sjostrom

Checking lines
Voros Rissmiller Orr/Korpedo

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2008, 12:38 PM
AXN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
but is he more successful physically? I think Callahan hits a lot more than Fritsche, which in and of itself is meaningless, but it is a stat. Cally seems to be able to handle himself physically, and I'm sure Fritsche is. But will Cally's hit result in more turnovers that will benefit whoever he plays with? Bigger isn't always better.
Fritsche is bigger and gets a nod for me over Callahan. I Like Prucha here better than Callahan also. Can provide more scoring from the second line. I would put Callahan on the third line. If Prucha plays the second line then Fritsche will most likely be on Betts right.

Old
07-17-2008, 12:46 PM
Fletch

Lion...

I think it's a mistake for a 22 year old to play out of position, even if it's for 2-3 minutes more of ice time per game (perhaps). He's a centerman and should continue to hone his skills as a centerman, whether that's playing with Naslund and a right winger or with Korpikoski and Fritsche or Callahan. You know very well that switching to wing from center is an adjustment. This kid has played one NHL season and is getting used to what is expected of an NHL centerman. Where to be, how to defend, how to attack. Now switch him to wing to spend half the season trying to forget what he just learned and learn something new. I think that hurts his development. It's not like I would suggest playing him on a fourth line, get 8 minutes per night, and be Orr's and Voros' centermen. I'm talking 15 minutes per night.

I do hear you on Tanguay. If a 31 year old Joe Sakic was the Rangers' centerman, I guess I'd consider. I still think that Dubi's best potential is at center and it's a position in which he's needed, since size down the gut is important, and I think he brings that.

But again - aren't we putting square pegs into round holes? The reason people are saying put Dubi on the right is because Drury was picked at center and they just want Dubi to be in the top six. That's exactly the example of forcing something that I'm speaking of.

My only issue with Betts is I don't think I can watch him on the ice for 15 minutes per game. He's a great fourth liner. He can go against top lines effectively for stints during the games. Maybe I just fear that winning a lot of games 2-1 isn't in the cards.

Old
07-17-2008, 12:46 PM
beastly115

This is exactly why Zherdev and Gomez should be split up. We've got Drury centering Prucha and most likely Dawes. They played decent together last season but are far from being a legit second line scoring threat. Dawes is the only guy that comes close to being a passer/playmaker on that line and even that's a stretch.

It's basically a line of finishers and no one to carry the puck.

Drury - Dubinsky - Dawes/Prucha would be a decent line.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2008, 12:55 PM
AXN

Here is another reason to play Fritsche on the second line.

scouting report:
Dan Fritsche – Columbus. Fritsche’s agitating style of play has driven many Western Conference opponents crazy. He played mostly on the third line last season, and will probably start there. The opportunity to move up in Columbus is very big, as they are extremely thin at center. They are playing Gilbert Brule on the wing, and star prospect Derrick Brassard needs more time in junior (although he is the most talented center in the organization already). Fritsche has chemistry with Rick Nash and plays a feisty game that will endear himself to Ken Hitchcock. His versatility at either center or wing also works in his favor. Keep an eye on where Fritsche plays early in the season.

Seems like a replacement for Avery.

Old
07-17-2008, 01:12 PM
FromDubiToZherdev*

Send a message via AIM to FromDubiToZherdev* Send a message via MSN to FromDubiToZherdev*
Give it to Prucha. If it doesn't work, Korpy.

FromDubiToZherdev* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2008, 01:12 PM
9darter
Soft Euro

We all know that Renney will shuffle the line combos all season long, so these polls should be taken as depth chart opinions only.
Since I've never actually seen either Zherdev, Fritsche, Rissmiller or Voros play I don't feel qualified to suggest positions.
Not that that stops me doing it anyway: Korpedo for 2nd line RW!

9darter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2008, 03:48 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:
why not fritsche?.......he is better and younger than cally
Cally is only 4 months older then Fritsche and Cally brings more then fritsche. Once Cally got back his game after being injured last season he was a very good player again, like his rookie year. I think he'd put up equal or better stats then fritsche(and again the deciding factor is that cally is bringing more IMO)

Last edited by FLYLine24: 07-17-2008 at 04:10 PM.
FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2008, 03:52 PM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
Cally is only 4 months older then Fritsche and Cally brings more then fritsche. Once Cally got back his game after being injured last season he was a very good player again, like his rookie year. I think he put up equal or better stats then fritsche(and again the deciding factor is that cally is bringing more IMO)
true and also Fritsche had the benefit of playing w/ Nash on the first line. Cally played w/ Drury on the third line. Big freakin difference in minutes and talent.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2008, 04:22 PM
bogans

Quote:
Originally Posted by PukkuMikku View Post
Mind boggling how Callahan is winning with the current make up of the roster, Prucha or Korpikoski should be the 2nd line RW in this instance.
Absolutely ridiculous comment. Callahan has a ton of goal soring ability and goes to the net hard. Prucha needs to be open to score, if he gets touched he crumbles, he is a good shooter, with no strength and no confidence anymore. Korpedo is a good two way player at the AHL level, has not shown the scoring prowess Callahan has and has not proven he is ready the NHL, which Callahan has. To put him above Callahan and say it is mind boggling that he is not, is in itself a reason to not be able to speak about hockey anymore.

bogans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2008, 04:22 PM
AXN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forechecker View Post
Korp was on the right wing when he scored against the Pens in game 5, I believe.

Love Cally, but Korp is the man here.
He got one freakin goal with 7 minutes of playing time and becomes the second line right wing.

Old
07-17-2008, 04:48 PM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
Quote:
Originally Posted by AXN View Post
He got one freakin goal with 7 minutes of playing time and becomes the second line right wing.
Well, how many players have been given more time and done less with it?

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2008, 05:02 PM
AXN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forechecker View Post
Well, how many players have been given more time and done less with it?
I think they will start him on the third line. They just mixed the lines to get more offense for the game.

Old
07-17-2008, 05:06 PM
Fletch

given 14 minutes per game, Korps is on pace for about a 162 goal season.

Seriously, don't be surprised if he starts the season in HFD, which is possible if Sather doesn't move some players.

Old
07-17-2008, 05:13 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by free0717 View Post
Sjostrom should be on that list
thanks for pointing this out, i KNEW i forgot someone.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2008, 06:59 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
thanks for pointing this out, i KNEW i forgot someone.
Hugh Jessiman.

jas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2008, 09:27 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
Hugh Jessiman.

bastardo

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2008, 09:43 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogans View Post
Absolutely ridiculous comment. Callahan has a ton of goal soring ability and goes to the net hard. Prucha needs to be open to score, if he gets touched he crumbles, he is a good shooter, with no strength and no confidence anymore. Korpedo is a good two way player at the AHL level, has not shown the scoring prowess Callahan has and has not proven he is ready the NHL, which Callahan has. To put him above Callahan and say it is mind boggling that he is not, is in itself a reason to not be able to speak about hockey anymore.
How can you say that Callahan has a ton of goal scoring ability when he hasn't shown it at all at the NHL level yet.

I can't speak about hockey anymore because Prucha scored over 50 goals through his first two seasons whereas Callahan has 12 NHL goals TOTAL in his career.

I could care less that it is only in 66 games, he was sent to Hartford mid season for a reason. And stayed on the third line for a reason, and will NEVER play above the third line for a reason.

I don't care what he did in lower levels. This is not lower levels. This is the NHL. And so far, he has NOT shown the ability to score consistently. And Prucha HAS at one point.

No matter how fragile you think Prucha is, he still has a lot more offensive upside then Callahan will ever have.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote