HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bo's arbitration set for July 29th

Old
07-11-2008, 07:21 AM
Rockaway Rob
aka blackpanthers

vCash: 500
Bo's arbitration set for July 29th

At the end of GR's story on Stillman he said:

Defenseman Jay Bouwmeester's arbitration date has been set for July 29 in Toronto.

Rockaway Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 09:05 AM
NJ_CATS_FAN
We Suck Yet Again

Well, that leaves 18 days to get something worked out.

NJ_CATS_FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 09:16 AM
Georgia Panther

The pessimist in me leads me to believe this will drag out until the trading deadline.

Georgia Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 12:34 PM
FlaPanthers7

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackpanthers View Post
At the end of GR's story on Stillman he said:

Defenseman Jay Bouwmeester's arbitration date has been set for July 29 in Toronto.
A couple weeks to hammer out a deal or trade him. Though the fact that he is still a Panther bodes well for us keeping him.

FlaPanthers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 12:43 PM
Georgia Panther

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaPanthers7 View Post
A couple weeks to hammer out a deal or trade him. Though the fact that he is still a Panther bodes well for us keeping him.
I don't know, JM may hold on to him until the deadline hoping against hope that Bouw falls in love with his "charms" and the South Florida Sunshine rather than having to explain to Cohen why he should hold on to his job after being a part of the regime that traded Luongo and Jokinen and is now forced to trade Bouwmeester. And of course all these smoke signals the media is interpreting about Bouw's South Florida Unhappiness could be just that, a lot of smoke with no substance.

Old
07-11-2008, 01:23 PM
misfit
5-14-6-1

vCash: 50
So who are the best comparables for Bouwmeester?

Bouwmeester (???): 82GP, 15g - 22a - 37pts, -5

Braydon Coburne (1.3M): 78GP, 9g - 27a - 36pts, +17
Tom Gilbert (4M): 82GP, 13g - 20a - 33pts, -6
Brent seabrook (3.5M): 82GP, 9g - 23a - 32pts, +13
Ryan Suter (3.5M): 71GP, 7g - 24a - 31pts, +3
Shea Weber (4.5M): 54GP, 6g - 14a - 20pts, -6

Looking at, IMO, the best comparables, and what he made last year, I'd guess Jbo will probably be awarded somewhere around 4M in arbitration, but probably more like $4.5M.

07-11-2008, 02:13 PM
Panthers_Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
So who are the best comparables for Bouwmeester?

Bouwmeester (???): 82GP, 15g - 22a - 37pts, -5

Braydon Coburne (1.3M): 78GP, 9g - 27a - 36pts, +17
Tom Gilbert (4M): 82GP, 13g - 20a - 33pts, -6
Brent seabrook (3.5M): 82GP, 9g - 23a - 32pts, +13
Ryan Suter (3.5M): 71GP, 7g - 24a - 31pts, +3
Shea Weber (4.5M): 54GP, 6g - 14a - 20pts, -6

Looking at, IMO, the best comparables, and what he made last year, I'd guess Jbo will probably be awarded somewhere around 4M in arbitration, but probably more like $4.5M.
Stats don't say it all. The best comparable is Phaneuf. I would be shocked if Bo gets less than 5 or even 6.

Panthers_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 02:29 PM
Tuco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panthers_Fan View Post
Stats don't say it all. The best comparable is Phaneuf. I would be shocked if Bo gets less than 5 or even 6.
Agreed with what you say. Although I think he will get less than fair value, maybe 4 - 4.5 mm. It doesn't matter much though, just a minor detail in this newest mess we have to deal with.

Tuco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 04:30 PM
Rattrick

Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
Did the NHL ever get the MLB style of arbitration where the arbitrator picks one of the team and players numbers?

Rattrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 04:44 PM
Clint

Send a message via AIM to Clint
Quote:
If he's signing long-term or on the UFA market, he's getting 6+, but since arbitration offers a 1 year deal he will get less than that.

Clint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2008, 04:17 PM
misfit
5-14-6-1

Quote:
How do you figure? Or rather, what could Bouwmeester's agent present to an arbitrator that would make him comparable to Phaneuf? Stats aren't everything, but they do play a major part in arbitration hearings.

You've told me that Phaneuf is the best comparable, but I'd like to know why you think so.

misfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 12:35 AM
Beezer
I'm Da Better Goalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaPanthers7 View Post
Yeah, I think he needs to be resigned before that hearing. If JM doesn't think it can happen then trade him, but we cannot go to that hearing because that closes our window for getting some return on him and not risking letting him go for nothing! Comon JM resign him already!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 12:44 AM
misfit
5-14-6-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezer View Post
Yeah, I think he needs to be resigned before that hearing. If JM doesn't think it can happen then trade him, but we cannot go to that hearing because that closes our window for getting some return on him and not risking letting him go for nothing! Comon JM resign him already!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
They can still work out a deal until after the hearing. It's just after the arbitrator makes the decision, they're only choice is to accept or decline, but that's usually a few days later. I remember it happening either last year or the one prior, but I can't remember who it was.

Old
07-14-2008, 02:45 AM
jol

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
They can still work out a deal until after the hearing. It's just after the arbitrator makes the decision, they're only choice is to accept or decline, but that's usually a few days later. I remember it happening either last year or the one prior, but I can't remember who it was.
If Panthers decline, JayBo becomes immediately UFA? If they accept and trade him, what's JayBo's trade value, JayBo has a one year contract which cannot be renegotiated before January?
If they want to trade him before hearing, he should have a new contract, he cannot be traded before hearing without a contract, probably I'm wrong with this one and if they can trade him, again what's the trade value, he will be getting one year deal.
I'd say go to hearing, keep him and let's see how things are in January (of course try to make a new deal).

JOL

jol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2008, 01:55 PM
sinDer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jol View Post
If Panthers decline, JayBo becomes immediately UFA? If they accept and trade him, what's JayBo's trade value, JayBo has a one year contract which cannot be renegotiated before January?
If they want to trade him before hearing, he should have a new contract, he cannot be traded before hearing without a contract, probably I'm wrong with this one and if they can trade him, again what's the trade value, he will be getting one year deal.
I'd say go to hearing, keep him and let's see how things are in January (of course try to make a new deal).

JOL

Considering the fact that he's going to be an UFA next season...his trade value is not that good

BUT...if 29 teams want him...then his trade value becomes pretty good IMO

sinDer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 10:51 AM
Acadmus
retired mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinDer View Post
Considering the fact that he's going to be an UFA next season...his trade value is not that good

BUT...if 29 teams want him...then his trade value becomes pretty good IMO
Yeah, if you get Dallas, Anaheim, San Jose, LA into trade talks for him for instance, you can always use the tactic that if they don't up the bid you'll trade him to a division rival. I leave out Phoenix because frankly, don't want to deal with them again anytime soon.

Acadmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 11:02 AM
zeroG

vCash: 540
Bouwmeester hearing date pleases Panthers

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/blogs/c...e_the_panthers

haven't seen anyone post this. thought it was interesting (believe it or not, something interesting from biggane).

Quote:

The Panthers regard it as good news that the arbitration hearing for Jay Bouwmeester will be held on Tuesday, July 29.

Typically the NHL Players Association will try to arrange for the players they expect to get the biggest awards to be up first. That way, a high market is set and the players that come later benefit. The hearings start July 21, meaning Bouwmeester will be toward the tail end of the order.
there's more in the story but that's the meat. perhaps JM feels that this fact gives him the leverage he needed to get jay signed to what he felt was a reasonable deal before the hearing?

zeroG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 03:06 PM
jol

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroG View Post

there's more in the story but that's the meat. perhaps JM feels that this fact gives him the leverage he needed to get jay signed to what he felt was a reasonable deal before the hearing?
I don't think for Jay there's no difference if he gets 1 year deal with $2.5 million or 1 year deal with $7 million? After a one year he can try to maximize his value with a team he likes to play with.

JOL

jol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 03:46 PM
Slick Cat

Quote:
I don't think for Jay there's no difference if he gets 1 year deal with $2.5 million or 1 year deal with $7 million? After a one year he can try to maximize his value with a team he likes to play with.

JOL
Exactly, he's bolting no matter what. The only way he signs early is if he is traded to a team he wants to go to. otherwise, there is no reason to not test free agency.

Slick Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 04:26 PM
zeroG

Quote:

JOL
wha??? you totally missed (i think?) the point, which is that his agent is acting as if they are going to get top money (ala phaneuf) while the nhl actually has him slotted pretty far down on the list. the implication is that this will hurt jay's negotiating power and perhaps is an indication he won't get as much on the open market as some are suggesting.

Old
07-16-2008, 04:48 PM
Georgia Panther

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroG View Post
wha??? you totally missed (i think?) the point, which is that his agent is acting as if they are going to get top money (ala phaneuf) while the nhl actually has him slotted pretty far down on the list. the implication is that this will hurt jay's negotiating power and perhaps is an indication he won't get as much on the open market as some are suggesting.
Chicago signs UFA defenceman Brian Campbell to an 8 year deal worth $56.8-million

If Campbell can get $7.1 mil on the open market, Bouwmeester will get at least $6.5 mil, which is Phaneuf money, as an UFA.

Old
07-16-2008, 05:43 PM
Clint

Send a message via AIM to Clint
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia Panther View Post
Chicago signs UFA defenceman Brian Campbell to an 8 year deal worth $56.8-million

If Campbell can get $7.1 mil on the open market, Bouwmeester will get at least $6.5 mil, which is Phaneuf money, as an UFA.
Especially now that the trend is overpaying for future production. Call it the Hartnell effect, I guess. Past CBAs favored the aging players in free agency, but now younger players are cashing in on potential output, as opposed to past output.

Clint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 05:51 PM
zeroG

hey, i'm not disagreeing, just wanted to point this out.

Old
07-17-2008, 02:40 PM
misfit
5-14-6-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia Panther View Post

Campbell can't be used as a comparable in an arbitration hearing because he was a UFA. Only RFA contracts can be used as comparables.

Old
07-17-2008, 03:01 PM
Thunderheart

New Eklund Rumor re: Jay

From Hockey Buzz: take with many grains of salt!

Update on Bouwmeester and the 5 Teams that May Get Into It....
July 17, 2008, 3:51 PM ET [4 Comments]

Talking to multiple sources throughout the day and there is a feeling out there that there are five teams that "aren't yet, but very soon could be talking trade fro jay Bouwmeester."

The five teams are Washington, Buffalo, Calgary, NY Rangers and St. Louis.

I was originally told that a three-way deal may be in the works, but I am now told that deal appears to be dead. The source who told me about that deal told me that the Flames would hvae ended up with Bouwmeester in that swap.

I am looking into more on this of course and will update as the info comes clearer.

Thunderheart

Thunderheart is offline   Reply With Quote