Any ideas what Sutter's up to?

Closed Thread

Old
07-17-2008, 01:43 PM
Gold Pads*
HE SHOOTS HE SCORES!

vCash: 500
Any ideas what Sutter's up to?

I was reading around the web for Flames rumors and (Mod Note: need link here) sais Schneider may be returning to the Isles. But he claims that Atlanta and Calgary are also both in the running for Schneider, too. Then he asks the obvious question,

"Does Calgary need Schneider?" (from ________ link needed)

Before I even had time to roll my eyes as I usually do at Eklunds rumors, on the very next line....
Quote:
Insert quoted portion here after a link is provided.
I can't find any mention of any of this anywhere else, so I'm still rolling my eyes. But has anyone else heard any rumors that could fit this description? Sutter has previously stated that he may not be done yet. What could it be? Any ideas?

Last edited by Fugu: 07-17-2008 at 07:33 PM.
Old
07-17-2008, 01:53 PM
Badger Bob

Well, first of all, let's set an example for the rest of the site. Try canning the comments about Eklund. It seems rather ironic for someone to ridicule his site, while continually visiting it. Besides, everything's already been said about him ad nauseum on the Trade Rumors board. Some of the fools, who never let up, are the same ones constantly posting their dippy proposals. At any rate, Ek just adds to what he hears. It doesn't mean that it's going to happen.

All that being said, the roster is not set. Some players were hung out in waivers, and transactions will be made to remove them from the payroll. Sutter's likely sniffed around for takers on Aucoin. Then, it would make sense to bring in Schneider, who should be more affordable. Assuming there's some accuracy to this, it would seem that a chance to win another Cup would be as much a motivation for Schneider as the paycheck. That would seem to remove Atlanta from the equation, but who knows?

Old
07-17-2008, 01:58 PM
AndersEriksson*

I think Sutter is messing about with most puckmoving blueliners out there. It would get really interesting if he could land one of them.

Old
07-17-2008, 02:01 PM
Gold Pads*
HE SHOOTS HE SCORES!

I wouldn't have even mentioned his site but then I'd get a ton of people asking where I heard this. And if you mention his name without validating it with something like, "You know how Eklund is....", everyone jumps on you about his credability. But yes, I do check his site out at least once a day. Granted he's wrong a lot but it has a lot to do with his willingness to name names. He's also right a lot, or with the advantage of hindsite, at least close enough where you can see that he really was hearing something along the lines of what he said. Got to admire his dedication anyways.

Old
07-17-2008, 02:11 PM
Hyperkookeez*

if schneider is brought there is no doubt aucoin is out seeing as how schneids makes a 1mil more.

schneider would be a decent pickup though. he'd be a nice boost on the pp be a good 4/5 dman, and his contract expiring at the end of the season is appealing

Old
07-17-2008, 02:19 PM
ArizonaGreenTea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger Bob View Post
Well, first of all, let's set an example for the rest of the site. Try canning the comments about Eklund. It seems rather ironic for someone to ridicule his site, while continually visiting it. Besides, everything's already been said about him ad nauseum on the Trade Rumors board. Some of the fools, who never let up, are the same ones constantly posting their dippy proposals. At any rate, Ek just adds to what he hears. It doesn't mean that it's going to happen.
Here, here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flames89
I wouldn't have even mentioned his site but then I'd get a ton of people asking where I heard this. And if you mention his name without validating it with something like, "You know how Eklund is....", everyone jumps on you about his credability. But yes, I do check his site out at least once a day. Granted he's wrong a lot but it has a lot to do with his willingness to name names. He's also right a lot, or with the advantage of hindsite, at least close enough where you can see that he really was hearing something along the lines of what he said. Got to admire his dedication anyways.
What is this thread about then? You seem all over the place, stating that the Flames are one of the likely teams to land Schneider, then you criticize your source, then you roll your eyes at this source, then you ask if there's any validity to your source. Naturally you follow that up with a post that waxes admiration at the source you have apparently mocked.

This thread would have been better off if you just asked "What's Sutter up to?" then came up with some ideas or things you would've liked him to do. There wouldn't be this faux believability that most Eklund rumor threads try to display and it would be better for discussion. Not to mention the wild imaginings in your head, my head, any poster's head for that matter have more credibility than Eklund.

Old
07-17-2008, 03:32 PM
Ice Cream Man
$1 Oysters

Given the well-known (and publicly stated) interest that Sutter had in Wade Redden, I wouldn't be surprised to see him still pursuing a Top-4 defenseman. It's not like he'd just 'give up' after Redden; I'm sure he's still sniffing.

Old
07-17-2008, 03:42 PM
Gold Pads*
HE SHOOTS HE SCORES!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Cream Man View Post
Given the well-known (and publicly stated) interest that Sutter had in Wade Redden, I wouldn't be surprised to see him still pursuing a Top-4 defenseman. It's not like he'd just 'give up' after Redden; I'm sure he's still sniffing.
This is what I'm hoping for "Ice Cream Man". Talking to Chicago maybe? It seems the 'Hawks are rumored to be dealing one or two of their good young D-men to just about every team in the league. I don't think it could be Bouwmeester from the Panthers, as Sutter may still have a bad taste in his mouth about the year and a half he spent persueing Jokinen from them. Not to mention J-Bo would demand a heck of a return.

But if Schneider is supposedly the second part of any big deal, wouldn't that seem to imply that we'd be moving a defenseman or two out? So maybe bringing in another gun at one of the wings is more likely. I hope we get more on this in the coming days. Even if nothing happens, I like to know what was being worked on, you know?

Old
07-17-2008, 03:54 PM
Cactus Jack

Send a message via MSN to Cactus Jack
I can't see how this would work. To make any sort of big moves I can really only see Sutter dealing guys like Aucoin, Warrener, Eriksson, Nilson and perhaps Lombardi (I certainly hope not). We are over the cap by 1.6 million and Aucoin would be the first of two bad contracts that would have to go for us to take Schneider. The Ducks are looking to dump salary, too. Other than the 3 waiver players and perhaps Aucoin, I think the team we have is what we'll see in October.

Old
07-17-2008, 04:04 PM
Gold Pads*
HE SHOOTS HE SCORES!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Jack View Post
I can't see how this would work. To make any sort of big moves I can really only see Sutter dealing guys like Aucoin, Warrener, Eriksson, Nilson and perhaps Lombardi (I certainly hope not). We are over the cap by 1.6 million and Aucoin would be the first of two bad contracts that would have to go for us to take Schneider. The Ducks are looking to dump salary, too. Other than the 3 waiver players and perhaps Aucoin, I think the team we have is what we'll see in October.
This is exactly why I was rolling my eyes when I first read that we may be in on Schneider. I think we'd have to be moving a D-man or two to need him. But what's Aucoin worth with his salary and the fact that he's a little long in the tooth? I can't imagine much.

At first I thought maybe move Aucoin and just replace him with Schneider, assuming Sutter and/or Keenan could have convinced Schneider to come here for about $1.6m less than Aucoin, which would seem to solve our cap problem.

Last edited by Gold Pads*: 07-17-2008 at 04:11 PM.
Old
07-17-2008, 04:55 PM
Hyperkookeez*

Quote:
Originally Posted by flames89 View Post
This is exactly why I was rolling my eyes when I first read that we may be in on Schneider. I think we'd have to be moving a D-man or two to need him. But what's Aucoin worth with his salary and the fact that he's a little long in the tooth? I can't imagine much.

At first I thought maybe move Aucoin and just replace him with Schneider, assuming Sutter and/or Keenan could have convinced Schneider to come here for about $1.6m less than Aucoin, which would seem to solve our cap problem.
schneider is in the last year of his contract. 5.5mil cap hit

the ducks are actually pretty far from the cap(5-6 mil) but their really close to the self imposed cap. with that whole samuelli fiasco and having new ownership burke cant risk going a little over the self imposed cap(if its firm or not, i dont know much about anaheims cap)

Old
07-17-2008, 04:58 PM
Gold Pads*
HE SHOOTS HE SCORES!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogieman99 View Post
schneider is in the last year of his contract. 5.5mil cap hit

the ducks are actually pretty far from the cap(5-6 mil) but their really close to the self imposed cap. with that whole samuelli fiasco and having new ownership burke cant risk going a little over the self imposed cap
My bad. I thought he was UFA. Thanks for pointing that out. That has that particular rumor making even less sense to me then.

Old
07-17-2008, 05:05 PM
Puckz

Would probably hate to see what we'd be giving up to pull that Bouwmeester deal off if it were true.

Old
07-17-2008, 05:46 PM
Gold Pads*
HE SHOOTS HE SCORES!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckz View Post
Would probably hate to see what we'd be giving up to pull that Bouwmeester deal off if it were true.
No doubt. Although this might be one of the only deals that would have me somewhat okay with the idea of moving Regehr. Don't know if he was to be any part of it, but still....

Old
07-17-2008, 06:06 PM
Puckz

Quote:
Originally Posted by flames89 View Post
No doubt. Although this might be one of the only deals that would have me somewhat okay with the idea of moving Regehr. Don't know if he was to be any part of it, but still....
I'd be alright with the idea of moving Regehr if it was Bouwmeester coming back, but I wonder what else would be going that way.

Phaneuf/Bouwmeester would be an "alright" pairing to have for a few years...

Old
07-17-2008, 07:04 PM
Gold Pads*
HE SHOOTS HE SCORES!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckz View Post
I'd be alright with the idea of moving Regehr if it was Bouwmeester coming back, but I wonder what else would be going that way.

Phaneuf/Bouwmeester would be an "alright" pairing to have for a few years...
I think we'd have to move Aucoin to clear up some $. LA NEEDS to get to the salary floor, so maybe there for an 8th or 9th or something. I really don't think he's worth much. And I've got to think Regehr would be involved, just based on $'s and player value for position. Then maybe, Nemizs or Whal? Hopefully not a 1st in 2009, but for Bouwmeester, I might have done it anyways.

J-Bo and Dion together....I must be dreaming. As much as I'd love it, I just can't beleive it's really possible. For all we know, Sutter had the deal tentatively done but couldn't get Bouwmeester signed. Still though, it's good to dream....

Old
07-17-2008, 07:27 PM
Fugu

vCash:
Please provide a specific link to the rumor. Citing a site alone is not good enough, and in fact is considered advertising. HF charges money for that.

Locked and references to the site will be deleted. You may edit your posts with the specific links, and send me or one of the Flames board mods a PM asking us to re-open it after you have done so.

Closed Thread