HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Alexander Nikulin's Blog Part II

Old
07-11-2008, 04:16 PM
danishh
Dat Stache

vCash: 50
CRAP! He's training with radulov

please dont corrupt our nukes

thanks again for the hard work ThirtyFive.

07-11-2008, 04:19 PM
ThirtyFive

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to ThirtyFive
AllHockey.ru Interview with Nikulin, July 10, 2008.

Why did you decide to go overseas in the summer of 2007? What didn't you like about CSKA?

I received an invitation, decided to give it a try, take a look and see how it is, because playing in the NHL was my childhood dream, and now I had this chance, so I went.

What did you learn in the year spent in the AHL?

Speed and experience in the physical part of the game. I kept all the other skills I had.

Right now the new league, the KHL, is getting stronger with quality players. Would you like to return and test your strength here in order to come back to the NHL an accomplished player?

NHL anyway remains the best league in the world, though I don't doubt that the KHL is getting up there in the level of play and salaries. But regarding everything else the NHL is still head and shoulders above the KHL.

In your opinion, why do many young players prefer to play in the minor North American leagues instead of in Russia?

Because the kind of training they'll receive in Canada, in the farm club, or anywhere else is hard to get in Russia, even in the KHL.

ThirtyFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 04:30 PM
Tubby Tuke
Drafting my Overalls

Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
CRAP! He's training with radulov

please dont corrupt our nukes

thanks again for the hard work ThirtyFive.
I read that and felt a little worried.

But, Nikulin seems to really like the NHL. I think like he said in one of his other blogs he will try another season in the AHL (if he doesn't make crack the Senators lineup) before considering the KHL. (I'm hoping he cracks the line up.)

Tubby Tuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 05:12 PM
petelevi

His comments about conditioning were interesting, & echoed what he said last season during training camp. There seems to be a different emphasis and approach to it in Russia, but it sounds like Nikulin is going to step up his regime to be ready for training camp.

petelevi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 06:12 PM
DuckedUpOnQuack

Send a message via MSN to DuckedUpOnQuack
Well now I can understand why Nikulin looked a little rusty at the development camp. It's hard to believe these guys don't train during the summer with all of the time they have. I'm glad he got to see the commitment and dedication that some of the Canadian boys are putting in. Hopefully it rubs off on him.

DuckedUpOnQuack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 09:42 PM
ben3001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arob View Post
Well now I can understand why Nikulin looked a little rusty at the development camp. It's hard to believe these guys don't train during the summer with all of the time they have. I'm glad he got to see the commitment and dedication that some of the Canadian boys are putting in. Hopefully it rubs off on him.
Yes indeed. Plus if you factor in that this was his first development camp and he was also on jetlag I can see why he didn't physicaly look ahead of the other prospects. Thankfully, the main reason for the camp is to be able to help tailor what a player needs to do in terms of training for the summer and after, so hopefully he will come up to training camp in great shape.

ben3001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 11:11 PM
kyle747

It's hard to believe Canadian Hockey learned 'scientific' training FROM the Europeans - especially the Russians. Of course, they trained for endurance and we've adapted it for raw strength and the ability to survive a 100 game season. seems the young lad, like like many euro players doesn't quite understand that yet. He'll have to change his training habits if he wants to play consistent hockey over a long season. I would have thought he learned that after a full season in Bingo. What the hell were they teaching him last year ?

The guys from the prospect camp that will play in the NHL are the ones that absolutely could not be knocked off the puck, and I didn't think Alex was in that group at all (granted I only saw the 3 on 3). I hope he has the patience for another year in bingo so they can hopefully
beat some of the bad habits out of him and he can begin training properly - like 350 days a year.

kyle747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2008, 11:15 PM
Tubby Tuke
Drafting my Overalls

I want to hear what Nikulin has to say about Radulov. I remember in one of the earlier posts that he really liked Radulov and the fact that he was sticking with it.

Old
07-12-2008, 03:13 AM
Erika

Stay away from Radulov Nukes, he is a bad influence for you !!

Erika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2008, 11:32 AM
spoon*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erika Kostitsyn View Post
Aren't you... aren't you a... Habs fan?

spoon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2008, 11:40 AM
RTWAP*

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoon View Post
Aren't you... aren't you a... Habs fan?
Erika, you can ignore spoon. He's been brandi-banned.

j/k

RTWAP* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 09:14 AM
Hell on Heels
classless chick :(

Send a message via Skype™ to Hell on Heels
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erika Kostitsyn View Post
....what the hell

Hell on Heels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2008, 03:19 PM
ynaffit

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirtyFive View Post
For instance, we were told how to give an interview. I didn’t hear anything brand new. Never had problems with that, and the blog is a testament to that. Whatever they ask you, you should say what you think.
Like "we gotta take it one game at a time, work hard every shift and put the puck in the net"?

ynaffit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2008, 10:22 PM
ben3001

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynaffit View Post
Like "we gotta take it one game at a time, work hard every shift and put the puck in the net"?
"Give it our 110%" Don't forget that one

ben3001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 12:10 AM
Caeldan

vCash: 732
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle747 View Post
It's hard to believe Canadian Hockey learned 'scientific' training FROM the Europeans - especially the Russians. Of course, they trained for endurance and we've adapted it for raw strength and the ability to survive a 100 game season. seems the young lad, like like many euro players doesn't quite understand that yet. He'll have to change his training habits if he wants to play consistent hockey over a long season. I would have thought he learned that after a full season in Bingo. What the hell were they teaching him last year ?

The guys from the prospect camp that will play in the NHL are the ones that absolutely could not be knocked off the puck, and I didn't think Alex was in that group at all (granted I only saw the 3 on 3). I hope he has the patience for another year in bingo so they can hopefully
beat some of the bad habits out of him and he can begin training properly - like 350 days a year.
Remember too that while an NHL player could potentially play 100 games, it seems most Euro and Russian leagues cap out around 56 I think? Even the new KHL, while its season stretches out almost as long as the NHL does - still is going to have only something like 50 games then a 16 team playoff. So they'll still be playing about half the games that you do in the NHL.

As a result, I'm sure that they don't need to get into shape as early as they do over here. The fact that there's less money over there too probably means in some cases, the guys are working a second job (similar to CFL players - you get guys on Grey Cup teams that are part or full-time teachers for example), and probably use training camp as a way to get back into shape (much like the guys in the older era NHL would do when you hear them interviewed these days).

Caeldan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2008, 10:20 PM
kyle747

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caeldan View Post
Remember too that while an NHL player could potentially play 100 games, it seems most Euro and Russian leagues cap out around 56 I think? Even the new KHL, while its season stretches out almost as long as the NHL does - still is going to have only something like 50 games then a 16 team playoff. So they'll still be playing about half the games that you do in the NHL.

As a result, I'm sure that they don't need to get into shape as early as they do over here. The fact that there's less money over there too probably means in some cases, the guys are working a second job (similar to CFL players - you get guys on Grey Cup teams that are part or full-time teachers for example), and probably use training camp as a way to get back into shape (much like the guys in the older era NHL would do when you hear them interviewed these days).
Yeah, those are always concerns with European players, no doubt.

I'm just surprised that after a year in Bingo he has progressed so little (the preparation side). I really think we need to do better in helping players adapt. It's not really any problem with the kid's attitude, it's just that for him to be unprepared for the level of competition at the PROSPECT camp makes me wonder if can ever play in the NHL and leaves me with questions.

1) Is he REALLY hungry enough ? Yes, he came over and rode the bus. But did he really learn how desperate and determined his competition for the few available spots will be ? The prospect depth of this team has increased greatly with players like Regin, Peters, Winchester who all have a skill game as well. He has to be better than these guys - AND more consistent. And he has to be seen to be better.

2) KHL - they pay a reasonable salary - although it's not nearly as attractive as the NHL with guaranteed contracts. You have to wonder, if things get too tough, maybe he just goes home. Always a danger with Russian prospects these days. And a good reason to never draft another as far as I'm concerned.

3) Dressing for success. Lesser players like Foligno & Bass have made this team by following a simple rule. They make sure they get noticed on every shift, they make a hit, take a hit, clear the crease or take a shot. Nikulin doesn't play their kind of game, but he's still got to find a way to be noticed every time he's on the ice. Be selfish - make a one man rush - deke somebody, crosscheck a player do something unusual & extreme with the puck. Or go play in Bingo for another year.

kyle747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2008, 05:44 PM
The Mars Volchenkov
Everberg flow

Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
With this new KHL/NHL agreement, does this mean Nikulin and Zubov CAN'T go back home?

The Mars Volchenkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2008, 06:08 PM
Caeldan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mars Volchenkov View Post
With this new KHL/NHL agreement, does this mean Nikulin and Zubov CAN'T go back home?
Another new agreement? Or you just mean the verbal no poaching agreement?

Cause if you mean the second, Nikulin and Zubov could go home when their current contracts expire. We don't have lifetime contracts on them - and there's nothing against signing an unsigned RFA (consider it the KHL putting an offer sheet down... except we can't get picks back).

Old
07-17-2008, 06:16 PM
The Mars Volchenkov
Everberg flow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caeldan View Post
Another new agreement? Or you just mean the verbal no poaching agreement?

Cause if you mean the second, Nikulin and Zubov could go home when their current contracts expire. We don't have lifetime contracts on them - and there's nothing against signing an unsigned RFA (consider it the KHL putting an offer sheet down... except we can't get picks back).
I meant while they're under contract, which is next season.

Old
07-17-2008, 06:20 PM
Tubby Tuke
Drafting my Overalls

Quote:
I meant while they're under contract, which is next season.
You mean while they develop playing in the KHL they are still on contract with Ottawa?

Old
07-17-2008, 06:28 PM
The Mars Volchenkov
Everberg flow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Projected View Post
You mean while they develop playing in the KHL they are still on contract with Ottawa?
No, I meant since they have NHL contracts but are playing in the AHL, does it still apply to them? There have been rumors that they might head back if they don't make the big team.

Old
07-17-2008, 06:31 PM
Tubby Tuke
Drafting my Overalls

Quote:
No, I meant since they have NHL contracts but are playing in the AHL, does it still apply to them? There have been rumors that they might head back if they don't make the big team.
I'm pretty sure the agreement was contracts with NHL and contracts with KHL and not where they actually played.

You can never know for sure.

Old
07-17-2008, 06:35 PM
Caeldan

Quote:
They're under an NHL contract, doesn't matter where you're playing - and I'm sure Ottawa wants them available as injury callups at the very least.

Old
07-18-2008, 08:24 AM
The King of Town

That's a pretty good point.

With the IIHF stepping in today and announcing they will investigate the recent transfers (both ways), it should hopefully cool tempers a bit.

The King of Town is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2008, 09:45 AM
ThirtyFive

Send a message via MSN to ThirtyFive
Nukes is on a roll. A new entry's up today. Don't touch that dial, folks!

ThirtyFive is offline   Reply With Quote