HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Introduction Thread!

Closed Thread

Old
07-16-2008, 10:09 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm6492 View Post
I started a war
It's just a police action at this point.

Old
07-16-2008, 10:20 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Old
07-16-2008, 10:45 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1204
Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC View Post
Subconsciously, are you referring to the Mods vs. Rockers of the British youth subculture of the 1960s? It would give Pete Townsend a new chapter to write in Quadrophenia.

Only if RP was still here, his head would explode with that obscure reference.

Old
07-17-2008, 05:55 AM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
Go to Vegas and bet on Hovercraft and the under.
North vs the South!

Old
07-17-2008, 07:42 AM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Subconsciously, are you referring to the Mods vs. Rockers of the British youth subculture of the 1960s? It would give Pete Townsend a new chapter to write in Quadrophenia.

he he he

"Mods"

I have heard it said that both Mods and Rockers were descended from Teddy Boys:

Old
07-17-2008, 09:10 AM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
Quote:

is Pancreas still around? i havn't seen him post in a very long time. though that could just be me not noticing things.

Old
07-17-2008, 09:13 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEIFey View Post
is Pancreas still around? i havn't seen him post in a very long time. though that could just be me not noticing things.
No, he has been given his outright release from the website but I got an email from him yesterday; he is still around in that way.

Old
07-17-2008, 10:45 AM
IrishSniper87

Name: E.J.

Favorite Team(s): Flyers, Phillies, Eagles, kinda Sixers
I also like the CHI Blackhawks, SJ Sharks, LA Kings, CAR Hurricanes, BOS Bruins, BOS Red Sox (at least more then the Yankees), BOS Celtics, SD Chargers

Most Hated Team(s): THE METS, ATL Braves, NY Rangers, NJ Devils, DAL Cowboys, NY Giants, PITT Penguins

Favorite Player(s): Mike Richards, Simon Gagne, Claude Giroux, Kimmo Timonen, Braydon Coburn, Rod Brind'Amour, Peter Forsberg, Jeremy Roenick, Vincent LeCavalier, Alexander Ovechkin, Tim Thomas, Jonathon Toews

Most Hated Player(s): Jaromir Jagr, Martin Brodeur

NHL08 Top Line: Gagne - Richards - Briere
Timonen - Coburn

NHL09 Top Line: same

Team: I can't even skate, but wish I learned how to when I was younger. If I had more time I might give it a try soon.
I played Basketball in school and with my friends.
I played Little League, Intramural Softball at college, and Rec League Softball at my summer job and I love the game of baseball.

Position: I'm 6'6 and strong, so I would probably play Defense.
I play Center in Basketball. period.
I play 1st Base primarily (I got a very good reach, and I am a big target to throw to) or a combination of OF and 3rd base in Little League thru to rec league softball.

Flyers fan since: My whole life. I didn't watch sports much as a kid since pop wasn't that into it, but he always left the Phillies/Flyers/Eagles game on during dinner or something if he found the games while channel surfing. Once I was old enough to read I made sure to alert Dad to the dates and times of all philly games (except Basketball, I always found it really boring to watch other people play Basketball, tho I enjoy shooting hoops myself)

Last edited by IrishSniper87: 05-01-2009 at 03:53 PM. Reason: Edit: Updated old crap
Old
07-17-2008, 01:32 PM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
Quote:
No, he has been given his outright release from the website but I got an email from him yesterday; he is still around in that way.
cool, its good to here he's still doing ok. did he quit or did he piss someone off and get banned?

Old
07-17-2008, 01:34 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEIFey View Post
cool, its good to here he's still doing ok. did he quit or did he piss someone off and get banned?
He didn't offer and I didn't ask. He likes the all-time draft stuff and sometimes will ask my opinion on players of the recent past, which in itself is an act of desperation.

Old
07-17-2008, 08:42 PM
XS Chop

Name: Mike

Favorite Team: Flyers

Most Hated Team(s): Devils, Rangers

Favorite Player(s): Now: Richards, Timonen Through the years: Clarke, Leach, Parent, Dineen, Tocchet, Eklund, Howe, Kerr, Lindros, MacLeish, Podein, Schultz, Brown, Desjardins, Hextall, Poulin, Recchi, LeClair, Sinisalo, Sittler, Primeau... Thats a lot but a lot of years watching too. There are others (even from different teams) but these are the guys I've had the most fun watching.

Most Hated Player(s): Crosby

NHL08 Top Line: Hartnell - Richards - Lupul
Timonen - Coburn

Flyers fan since: 1st cup. Just getting old enough to get into sports, I remember the parade on t.v. and Clarkies toothless grin.

Old
07-18-2008, 02:43 AM
Shil27

Name: Shil

Favorite Team(s): Flyers, Oilers

Most Hated Team(s): Rangers, Ducks, Lightning

Favorite Flyers: Primeau, Hextall, B. Parent, Richards, Downie, Cote, Niitty

Favorite Non-Flyers: Gagner, Modano, Kiprusoff, Vermette, Garon, DiPietro, Reasoner (glad he's coming to a team near me, it will give me a reason to go to games other than just when they are playing the Flyers)

Most Hated Player(s): Crosby, Avery, Getzlaf, Jagr, Asham (he's going to have to grow on me)

Old
07-18-2008, 02:51 AM
Shil27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_Girl View Post
Now we're bordering on *******...

Honestly, I had more fun in my late 30's and so far in the 40's than I did in my 20's (and I had way too much fun in my 20's).

You have enough income to do the things you want, and the smarts to know how to get them!
I was just thinking the exact same thing the other day. I would NEVER want to go back ...having the time of my life right now!!

Old
07-18-2008, 06:32 AM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by XS Chop View Post
Name: Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shil27 View Post
Name: Shil

Welcome to the zoo to both of you! You'll find we're extremely irreverent most of the time, and we have a lot of fun around here.

I like this thread -- it's easy to see who the new folks are.

Old
07-18-2008, 12:52 PM
Murphy7
Drop the puck

Name: John

Favorite Teams: Philadelphia Flyers, Boston Red Sox, Minnesota Vikings

My Center Ice Tivo list: Flyers, Canucks, Hurricanes, Flames, Oilers, Canadiens (I watched more than 200 games last season)

Most Hated Team(s): Anyone not listed above

Favorite Player(s): Bill Barber, Bernie Parent, Rick MacLeish, Mark Howe, Ron Hextall, Derrick Smith, Mark Recchi, Sami Kapanen.

Favorite line: Poulin, Propp and Kerr. Go figure, my all-time favorite player's line (LCB) is second, even though Barber is my favorite by far. The Lindros lines never stayed intact long enough.

Most Hated Player(s): Anyone in uniforms of teams not listed above.

NHL08 Top Line: Too busy with line changes at work.

Flyers fan since: I can remember (73-74 season). My dad let me stay up past my bedtime if the Flyers were on 29 (Don Earle and Gene Hart, wow!).

Old
07-18-2008, 01:44 PM
Shil27

Confession: I haven't been a hockey fan for very long....only about 6 years. My husband is from Philly (PhillyFan4Ever - also new to the boards) but he moved down south 10 years ago to be with me. Of course we had to get the Center Ice package on cable....the rest is now history! I am a bigger fan than he is. Last year, for my 40th birthday, we toured the Wachovia Center and the Spectrum, went to several practices, and took in 2 Flyers games and a Phantoms game (he said I HAD to have the Spectrum experience...we had front row seats right next to the Phantoms bench). I got to meet Bernie Parent, Bob Kelly, Gary Dornhoefer, Bill Clement, Keith Jones, Keith Primeau (God! I miss him!), Riley Cote and Antero Niittymaki. I was so impressed with how all the guys treat you like you're family. I've seen all the Flyers history videos and thanks to the NHL network, I can get a glimpse into past hockey games. So, while I didn't grow up with the Flyers (or hockey for that matter) like most of you, I hope I will still be considered a legitimate fan.

Old
07-18-2008, 01:49 PM
Chuck Downie
Berube is Chief

vCash: 71
Quote:
Confession: I haven't been a hockey fan for very long....only about 6 years. My husband is from Philly (PhillyFan4Ever - also new to the boards) but he moved down south 10 years ago to be with me. Of course we had to get the Center Ice package on cable....the rest is now history! I am a bigger fan than he is. Last year, for my 40th birthday, we toured the Wachovia Center and the Spectrum, went to several practices, and took in 2 Flyers games and a Phantoms game (he said I HAD to have the Spectrum experience...we had front row seats right next to the Phantoms bench). I got to meet Bernie Parent, Bob Kelly, Gary Dornhoefer, Bill Clement, Keith Jones, Keith Primeau (God! I miss him!), Riley Cote and Antero Niittymaki. I was so impressed with how all the guys treat you like you're family. I've seen all the Flyers history videos and thanks to the NHL network, I can get a glimpse into past hockey games. So, while I didn't grow up with the Flyers (or hockey for that matter) like most of you, I hope I will still be considered a legitimate fan.

You are indeed a welcome fan!!! Great story!!!

Old
07-18-2008, 02:10 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
as best as I can tell im still the 2nd oldest on the board.
man some of these posters are less then half my age. that isnt right lol

Old
07-18-2008, 02:20 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:
Welcome and enjoy the site. My Flyers' South Carolina connection: It is where I saw the last game of the 1996 playoffs series against the Panthers. I found a bar with a huge TV screen and the bartender turned on the game. Somewhere in Myrtle Beach. Damn, was I ticked off after Game 5 in that series.

Old
07-18-2008, 04:56 PM
flyersfan97

Quote:
Welcome aboard!! Another "old" chick--excellent. Our stories are sort of similar, my husband grew up as a Flyers fan, but he's not from Philly, and now I'm the bigger fan. I didn't grow up a hockey fan either, AND I, too, am as old as the Flyers. It's good to have you here.

Old
07-18-2008, 09:08 PM
PhillyFan4Ever

Quote:
ive said it many times and ill say it one last time....

lady, i dont know you, i have never known you, or plan to know you. WHY ARE YOU FOLLOWING ME!@@1

j/k.
btw, it wouldve been nice to have a cold soda waiting for me when i got home.

Old
07-18-2008, 09:23 PM
shamski7

Send a message via AIM to shamski7
Name: mike

Favorite Team(s): Flyers, Phillies, Eagles,

Most Hated Team(s): rangers, penguins, devils, cowboys, giants, redskins, mets, braves, marlins

Favorite Player(s): gagne, richards, carter, coburn, upshall

Most Hated Player(s): crosby, malkin, gionta, jagr

NHL08 Top Line: spezza, gaborik michalek

Team: any one that would take me

Position: wing

Flyers fan since: i dont know what year it was... whenever the first mighty ducks movie came out. it got me into hockey and just so happened the flyers made the playoffs for the first time in forever that year.

Old
07-18-2008, 09:42 PM
Shil27

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan97 View Post
Welcome aboard!! Another "old" chick--excellent. Our stories are sort of similar, my husband grew up as a Flyers fan, but he's not from Philly, and now I'm the bigger fan. I didn't grow up a hockey fan either, AND I, too, am as old as the Flyers. It's good to have you here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyFan4Ever View Post
ive said it many times and ill say it one last time....

lady, i dont know you, i have never known you, or plan to know you. WHY ARE YOU FOLLOWING ME!@@1

j/k.
btw, it wouldve been nice to have a cold soda waiting for me when i got home.
I would've had a soda waiting but I couldn't get to my walker...us "old chicks" don't move too fast any more ya know....

Old
07-18-2008, 10:31 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
What a great story! And a fabulous experience!!

And an extra welcome - we can always use another female around her, Gawd knows!

Old
07-19-2008, 11:49 PM
medicman

medicman

fan since 2000

now go stand in the corner!!!

Closed Thread