HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Most Overrated Forward

View Poll Results: Who is the most overrated forward.
Chris Drury 39 20.63%
Scott Gomez 17 8.99%
Dan Fritsche 3 1.59%
Branden Dubinsky 12 6.35%
Nigel Dawes 14 7.41%
Nikolai Zherdov 8 4.23%
Markus Naslund 13 6.88%
Ryan Callahan 30 15.87%
Petr Prucha 34 17.99%
Fredrick Sjostrom 7 3.70%
Colton Orr 1 0.53%
Blair Betts 2 1.06%
Aaron Voros 1 0.53%
Patrick Rissmiller 4 2.12%
Lauri Korpikoski 4 2.12%
Voters: 189. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-18-2008, 01:10 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
click on the number of votes and you can see who voted...

I did because I was also surprised at the number but now it makes sense...
good find.

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2008, 01:13 PM
NYR Viper

prucha......by a long ways

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2008, 01:16 PM
Blueshirt Brawler

I just don't think Drury is overrated. He may not be a Hall of Fame lock but would Derek Jeter be a Hall of Famer if he played at any position other than shortstop. Listen as a Yankee fan I love Jeter but his offensive numbers don't tell the whole story and the same goes for Drury. Just because he doesn't score 30 goals every year doesn't mean that he isn't a very good if not great at times hockey player.

Last year was year one of Drury's career as a Ranger. Now as he will probably be named captain of the team this season let's see how he performs. He won't score as many goals as Jagr did but I'd bet anything he'll be 100x better captain than JJ was. He's unselfish, he's clutch and he's going to be our captain. Then we'll see those people who voted him overrated change their tune. Drury will be a great captain of the New York Rangers.

Blueshirt Brawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2008, 01:28 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Brawler View Post
I just don't think Drury is overrated. He may not be a Hall of Fame lock but would Derek Jeter be a Hall of Famer if he played at any position other than shortstop. Listen as a Yankee fan I love Jeter but his offensive numbers don't tell the whole story and the same goes for Drury. Just because he doesn't score 30 goals every year doesn't mean that he isn't a very good if not great at times hockey player.

Last year was year one of Drury's career as a Ranger. Now as he will probably be named captain of the team this season let's see how he performs. He won't score as many goals as Jagr did but I'd bet anything he'll be 100x better captain than JJ was. He's unselfish, he's clutch and he's going to be our captain. Then we'll see those people who voted him overrated change their tune. Drury will be a great captain of the New York Rangers.
Yes..

Derek Jeter is going to finish his career with over 3000 hits....

Jeters offensive numbers DO tell the whole story....

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2008, 01:32 PM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
I knew Drury would be leading this poll and the people who actually believe he is overrated are ignorant. He's absolutely overpaid but he is somewhat like Derek Jeter in that you can expect him to come through in the clutch, he's a leader and a winner wherever he's been. Can you say the same thing about Petr Prucha (who I voted for)? One 30 goal season opposite of Jagr and others on a good PP where he scored 16 of his 30 goals that year. He's not capable of creating his own shot and must play with someone to set him up in order to score. He's also a defensive liability which was why Renney scratched him so often last year. I'm willing to give him another chance this year because our team is offensively inept but Petr Prucha is your most overrated forward folks.
you know what's kind of funny about this post. Derek Jeter was voted as most overrated by his peers in baseball.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2008, 01:37 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags225 View Post
you know what's kind of funny about this post. Derek Jeter was voted as most overrated by his peers in baseball.
He was also voted as one of the top 5 players to build around....

Old
07-18-2008, 01:40 PM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
He was also voted as one of the top 5 players to build around....
by whom?

The players themselves voted him most overrated in a poll this year.

Old
07-18-2008, 01:48 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
by whom?

The players themselves voted him most overrated in a poll this year.
By the players in the issue BEFORE the "overrated" poll came out....

Jeter finished 2nd to ARod as to what player you would build around...

Old
07-18-2008, 01:51 PM
mygameworn

Send a message via AIM to mygameworn
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromGomezToZherdev View Post
I hate to say it, but Drury.

Why? what makes you say that.. you give no examples..

This is why he should have returned to the avs.. he was appreciated more there than any place..

mygameworn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2008, 01:52 PM
DontStepanMe

Quote:

Hmmm.... very odd.
didn't realize about the other poll.

I'm going to take it as you would want to build around him when he was in his prime... but now he is overrated based on what he has done in years past compared to what he is doing right now. Sort of like he is living on his lore. Exactly like Drury's lore of clutchness which never happened at all in the PO's last year.

Old
07-18-2008, 01:52 PM
mygameworn

You cannot compare the stats of a baseball player to a hockey player.. the two sports are way too different..

Old
07-18-2008, 02:00 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Hmmm.... very odd.
didn't realize about the other poll.

I'm going to take it as you would want to build around him when he was in his prime... but now he is overrated based on what he has done in years past compared to what he is doing right now. Sort of like he is living on his lore. Exactly like Drury's lore of clutchness which never happened at all in the PO's last year.
Or you can take as what the players felt in June...Instead of trying to add a caveat to it you can just look at hypocritical that "overated" poll was...

BUT

I'll take the overrated poll and think that's how players will feel about him in the future..So i guess we are even...

you want to think Jeter is overrated be my guest but it doesn't mean it's true...

The Drury-Jeter comparrison isn't good...it's comparing a first ballot hall of famer in one sport to a non-hall of famer in another sport...it also compares guys from two diffrent sports which is hard to do....

http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.c...9465/index.htm

Old
07-18-2008, 02:07 PM
mygameworn

the yankees as a team are overrated.. stick to hockey...

Old
07-18-2008, 02:08 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fata44 View Post
the yankees as a team are overrated.. stick to hockey...
The Yankees are in 3rd place right now...who's saying they are under or overrated?

Also...If you want to talk about history they have more championships (26) then any other team in North American Sports...

I wish the Rangers were that "overrated"

Old
07-18-2008, 02:09 PM
n_a_c

Ryan Callahan is overrated by quite a few people on the board. But he is an NHL player.

Some people on the board think Lauri Korpikoski should be on the third, or even first/second line, ahead of our log jam of proven NHL players. For a guy who never came close to Ryan's AHL output, and has 1 NHL game. So Lauri got my vote.

Disclaimers - there are not many people who overrate Lauri so highly, but some. And I also think he might be ready to make the jump to the NHL on some teams, on the fourth or perhaps third line. But I doubt he'd be able to outperform our glut of other third/fourth liners.

n_a_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2008, 02:18 PM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Or you can take as what the players felt in June...Instead of trying to add a caveat to it you can just look at hypocritical that "overated" poll was...

BUT

I'll take the overrated poll and think that's how players will feel about him in the future..So i guess we are even...

you want to think Jeter is overrated be my guest but it doesn't mean it's true...

The Drury-Jeter comparrison isn't good...it's comparing a first ballot hall of famer in one sport to a non-hall of famer in another sport...it also compares guys from two diffrent sports which is hard to do....

http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.c...9465/index.htm
Was Jeter overrated in his career no. Is he an overrated player right now. yes. He is living off of his legendery status. he is on pace for career lows in HR's and BA. he isn't the player he once was but people keep putting up as still one of the greatest shortstops playing the game now. He is still extremely good but I don't think he is a top 5 shortstop anymore. He isnt the .320 hitter he was but he is still thought of to many to be that hitter still. For his career he was an amazing player, right now he isn't amazing anymore and people should stop saying or thinking that he still is. So to me that is being overrated and I think the poll was being thought of that way.

Back to Drury. Everybody keeps on bringing up him winning a little league, or what he did in Colorado. i don't care about what he did 5-20 years ago. What is he capable of this year, at this age, on this team. he might have been a 30 goal scorer. some people on this board say he can score 40 w/ gomez. he couldn't do it w/ forsberg but now he magically can w/ Gomez? that is overrating him.

people say how great he is at faceoffs and in the clutch. he was horrible on faceoffs against the devils, especially the clutch ones last PO's. He was basically invisible these past PO's other than this PKing. His clutchness was based on a couple really good playoffs. Sort of the opposite of Marian Hossa who had 2 bad playoffs which overshadow the 2-3 really good playoffs that he had so people say he is a flop in the PO's. This is why i think that Drury is overrated.

I hope this made some type of sense as it is sort of difficult to write out.

Old
07-18-2008, 02:25 PM
McRanger

Quote:

No offense to Jeter, but thats awful.

McRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2008, 02:28 PM
9darter
Soft Euro

Bleh, horrible idea for polls.
Like arbitration, the point is to bring down our own players.

9darter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2008, 02:29 PM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9darter View Post
Bleh, horrible idea for polls.
Like arbitration, the point is to bring down our own players.
i'm also going to do most underrated next week.

Old
07-18-2008, 02:29 PM
mygameworn

Quote:
The Yankees are in 3rd place right now...who's saying they are under or overrated?

Also...If you want to talk about history they have more championships (26) then any other team in North American Sports...

I wish the Rangers were that "overrated"

Well its easy to say their overrated, Look at how big their payroll is compared to the rest...

Isn't that the same thing we're talking about with Dru??

Old
07-18-2008, 02:42 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Branden Dubinsky
caldercup0, Jarkko Immonen, Melrose_Jr., Nich, Plato, Trxjw

Wow, just wow.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2008, 02:55 PM
Fletch

Maybe we should take a step back...

and define overrated. Is it money paid compared to what a player does? If so, then that's overpaid. I think of it as what they are compared to people's perception. I can't see how Prucha is overrated in that instance since most feel that he's gone and can't crack the current lineup and the 30 goal and 22 goal seasons were flukes. How does that make someone overrated? Who's saying that Prucha's a 30 goal scorer and deserves to be on the top line? Certainly not the popular masses.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2008, 03:04 PM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris 84 View Post
Gonna disagree with you on that. I don't think Osgood gets the respect he deserves. People are critical of him when he's a real solid netminder, maybe not one of the best, but he's reliable.
I agree with you. That is precisely my point. Osgood is a solid netminder. That makes him no better than an average starting NHL goalie. Teams almost always make the goalie and yes I know there are exceptions.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2008, 03:09 PM
chosen

Quote:

To be clear, I never said Drury was overrated. I voted for Callahan. However I do think that you overrate him but that is just my opinion, obviously.

I am not a Yankees fan but to say if Jeter wasn't a shortstop isn't real fair. He can only be what he is. Even if Jeter wasn't a Yankee, the stats he churns out with machinelike regularity in combo with his clutchness make him special. Drury has the clutch factor but not the stats factor and he has virtually zero chance at the HOF.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2008, 03:16 PM
Staals Eye
once TortsKindaGuy

Prucha

Staals Eye is offline   Reply With Quote