HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Most Overrated Defensemen

View Poll Results: Most overrated Defensemen
Wade Redden 23 24.21%
Michael Roszival 29 30.53%
Marc Staal 4 4.21%
Dan Girardi 14 14.74%
Paul Mara 7 7.37%
Dmitri Kalinin 5 5.26%
Thomas Pock 7 7.37%
Corey Potter 6 6.32%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-18-2008, 01:32 PM
Blueshirt Brawler

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyrod View Post
After the "face of the new NHL" thing, how can it not be Girardi?
Because that was one person's opinion. If you are talking about the general consensus people believe that Girardi is a second pairing defenseman, which he is. But Rozsival is not a first pairing guy on a good team and for us he is and now he's being paid like he is as well. I think Rozie will be better for us now that Jagr is not here to berate him because Rozie didn't pass him the puck but he's still a defensive liability in the defensive zone. He panics way too much for my liking.

Blueshirt Brawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2008, 03:54 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

I'm gonna cut Redden a break and pick Rozy because of his maddening inconsistency.

Oh, and because he batted the puck into his own net with his glove 2 years ago and costed the Rangers the game.

HockeyBasedNYC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2008, 05:27 PM
Ovens

I had to go with Pock, I saw about a dozen pack games last year and he ranged from unspectacular to awful, and he still takes stupid penalties in the last couple of minutes.

Ovens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2008, 05:32 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
I don't really think any of those guys are overrated around here. I think we're mostly realistic about what those guys are.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2008, 05:46 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

I think people are confusing overrated and overpaid, which is why youre seeing a lot of votes for Rozsival and Redden.

Theres a good amount of Ranger fans that think Thomas Pock should be in the NHL. Thats wildly overrating him as a player.

Bleed Ranger Blue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2008, 06:05 PM
ThirdEye

I don't think Girardi is overrated here. Maybe he was a little bit before last season, but he's made enough mistakes this year for us to view him in a slightly different light - basically a good 3/4 defenseman that plays physical and has a decent offensive upside, but can make stupid plays at times. For someone who wasn't even drafted, I'll take it

Staal - overrated my ass. This guy is one of our best prospects in years, and I honestly don't think he could have done anything more than he did in his first year here. People who overrate him are obviously rating him subjectively. If not, I'd like to hear the reasons

I also don't see how anyone can overrate Redden before he's even played here. I don't like him as one of the options at all. Same with Kalinin

I have a feeling half the people voting are not even Ranger fans.

EDIT: Scratch that, it seems like most of the people are Ranger fans. Oh well, I still think this is a pretty dumb poll

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2008, 08:27 PM
Choice

Could be Redden but I havent seen him play enough to say on way or the other. Ask me in January about him.

Choice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2008, 08:40 PM
Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
I don't think Girardi is overrated here. Maybe he was a little bit before last season, but he's made enough mistakes this year for us to view him in a slightly different light - basically a good 3/4 defenseman that plays physical and has a decent offensive upside, but can make stupid plays at times. For someone who wasn't even drafted, I'll take it
This is why I voted Girardi. If he's on the Rangers when we next win the cup, he will be a third pairing guy. Not to say he's bad. He's very solid, and as you said I'll certainly take it for a non-drafted player. That being said, he isn't a second pairing guy on a contending team and i think he has virtually 0 offensive upside.

Choice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2008, 09:08 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choice View Post
This is why I voted Girardi. If he's on the Rangers when we next win the cup, he will be a third pairing guy. Not to say he's bad. He's very solid, and as you said I'll certainly take it for a non-drafted player. That being said, he isn't a second pairing guy on a contending team and i think he has virtually 0 offensive upside.
I think he got somewhat exposed by year's end. This is not to say he can't become a 2nd pairing D-man down the road. But, honestly, at least talent-wise, he's #6 on the depth chart. He doesn't have the physical tools of either Kalinin or Mara. But, he's a good story.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2008, 09:33 PM
The Thomas J.*

Redden, On the decline 2 plus years, and gets a huge contract that was not deserved.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2008, 09:59 PM
ThirdEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choice View Post
I don't really like this poll because Girardi has only played a little more than a season in the NHL. I don't think he'll ever be a #1/#2, but he can definitely cut down on his mistakes and solidify his game. I don't really think he's overrated here, and i spend quite some time lurking around here. I haven't seen too many people put him on the first pairing that's for sure

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 10:45 PM
polako

Michael Rozsival, the guy that was picked up off the NHL scrap heap, and has served as an admiral #1 D for the past three years, is now apparently resoundingly overrated. There's a head-scratcher.

polako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 11:10 PM
MidnightRanger

Send a message via AIM to MidnightRanger
BY FAR and WITHOUT A SHADOW OF A DOUBT

MICHAL ROSZIVAL. THE MOST OVERRATED RANGER OF ALL TIME.

MidnightRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 11:24 PM
John Torturella

Dan Girardi. Defense was terrible in comparison to his first season. No one realized because Malik was the one under the microscope.

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote