HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Logjam at Center: Dubinsky to the wing?

Old
07-18-2008, 02:39 PM
DontStepanMe

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Brawler View Post
I disagree. Scott Gomez can be the number one center on a team when he plays with the right linemates. Hopefully he'll be able to mesh well with Zherdev and Naslund because we definitely need those guys who can score 25-30 goals to do so on this club.

As far as moving Dubinsky to wing I see no need. Fritsche played RW all year last year for Columbus and he will do so for us as well.

Gomez, Drury, Dubinsky and Betts will be our centermen.

And when Anisimov is ready in 2009-10, Drury will move to LW.
you just contradicted yourself. if you have to say "when he plays w/ the right linemates" that instantly means that he is not a true #1 center. a TRUE #1 center will play well no matter who his linemates are. Sakic, Modano, Lecalvalier, Thornton etc.

A true #1 center makes all the players around him better, not the players around him makes him better. Hence Gomez is a good complimentary player, but not a focal point of an offense.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2008, 02:44 PM
NYRKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR94 View Post
Drury took more faceoffs than any Ranger, won more, and won the highest percentage of faceoffs. Puck possession is crucial so I'd like to see him remain at center.
Exactly. I know Drury might be overpaid, but people forget that this guy is good because of his hard-work, hockey sense, and ability to win face-offs. He may not get 100 pts but he makes things happen for the rest of the team.

NYRKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2008, 02:47 PM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRKing View Post
Exactly. I know Drury might be overpaid, but people forget that this guy is good because of his hard-work, hockey sense, and ability to win face-offs. He may not get 100 pts but he makes things happen for the rest of the team.
yeah but he got his ass handed to him in the PO's against the Devils. Dubi was our best and most clutch FO guy there.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2008, 03:06 PM
shnagle

Just wanted to clear up a few things regarding my original post. In my opinion, Dubinsky can remain at center on the third line this year but going forward I believe he is a top six talent and will need to play on one of the top two lines in the future, either as a center or a wing.

My question is whether or not Dubinskyís skill set would translate to playing the wing as a power forward type? Iím not advocating moving to Dubinsky to the wing but if he has played wing in Junior and can make the move it would fill that void of power forward that this organization is lacking. Iím perfectly happy to allow him to continue to develop as a center but I wanted to know if the move to wing was a realistic option based on his skill set and play in Junior. Any thoughts or insights on this would be great.

shnagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2008, 04:39 PM
Cynical TyranT
Son of a gun

Send a message via AIM to Cynical TyranT
I think this is an easy thing to deal with, guys.

Roll 3 near equal lines... 1a 1b and 1c... the talent is there.

Cynical TyranT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 02:24 AM
DevFan-RU-

Send a message via AIM to DevFan-RU-
Hahaha, "logjam".

DevFan-RU- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 04:58 AM
Ola

Beeing a old center myself I know that it can be tricky to move to the wing for some centers -- especially depending on the role you get.

Like a center needs to be able to accelerate much more explosive then a center -- and a center almost never gets to practise at jumping into holes and reciving a pass as high up ice as a winger does.

Some centers feels like aren't able to get into the game when they are moved to the wing. Like they skate and skate and almost never gets to touch the puck.

I am afraid that Dubinsky is that type of center who would feel uncomfortable on the wing. He do not got that explosive acceleration -- like when you take a couple of short explosve strides, he is more the type of skater who takes longer powerful strides and accelerates a bit slower.

I am not about to rule out the possibility of Dubinsky playing the wing, but I am skeptical.

Ola is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2008, 02:12 PM
Entrancemperium

I say move Drury to the wing.

Drury-Gomez-Zherdev
Naslund-Dubinsky-dawes
Prucka-Anisimov-Korpikoski
Voros-Betts-Sjostrom

Entrancemperium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2008, 04:59 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

I would much rather see Drury move to wing than Dubinsky, partially because of Drury's abilities as more of a finisher than a playmaker. I'd love to see Dubi come steaming down the ice and get a shot on goal, then have Drury put home any rebounds. I agree with the previously put forth idea that Dubi might be a bit awkward at waiting for the puck to come to him like a winger has to.

All that said, I remain open to Dubi on the wing. Who knows though? Maybe Slats is gonna make something happen to land us a legit wing who's a power forward...

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2008, 05:08 PM
Uncle Buck*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Are you ever going to spell his name correctly?

A-N-I-S-I-M-O-V
Are you ever going to stop being so arrogant?

A-R-R-O-G-A-N-T.

Uncle Buck* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2008, 07:23 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Buck View Post
Are you ever going to stop being so arrogant?

A-R-R-O-G-A-N-T.
Did I strike a nerve? I'm sorry you're so offended by a post that wasn't even directed at you.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2008, 08:13 PM
Fletch

I want Dubi..

to continue to develop as a centerman - to become a very good, two-way phhysical centerman. If the Rangers are going to move someone to wing, let it be Drury, which I'm not ecstatic about either.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2008, 09:05 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
to continue to develop as a centerman - to become a very good, two-way phhysical centerman. If the Rangers are going to move someone to wing, let it be Drury, which I'm not ecstatic about either.
Precisely. Drury has a fully developed game, both at center and wing. Unless Dubinsky wows us at the wing in camp, I'd like to see him play center, either on the 2nd line with Drury on the wing, or on the 3rd line and make Drury the 2nd line center.

If the Rangers are thinking long term, like they say they are, they should want Dubinsky to turn into the best center he can be. Gomez and Drury's contracts will someday expire, and there will be a void to fill. Datsyuk started out in Detroit's bottom 6, and he's done OK for himself.

we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2008, 09:45 PM
pmorris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
Beeing a old center myself I know that it can be tricky to move to the wing for some centers -- especially depending on the role you get.

Like a center needs to be able to accelerate much more explosive then a winger -- and a center almost never gets to practise at jumping into holes and reciving a pass as high up ice as a winger does.

Some centers feels like aren't able to get into the game when they are moved to the wing. Like they skate and skate and almost never gets to touch the puck.

I am afraid that Dubinsky is that type of center who would feel uncomfortable on the wing. He do not got that explosive acceleration -- like when you take a couple of short explosve strides, he is more the type of skater who takes longer powerful strides and accelerates a bit slower.

I am not about to rule out the possibility of Dubinsky playing the wing, but I am skeptical.
fixed

As for this debate, I personally believe Dubinsky should be moved to the wing. Gomez and Drury signed long-term deals, so when you talk about the Rangers' "future" you have to talk about those two. Drury and Gomez are also excellent in the defensive zone, and both are extremely good faceoff men. Dubinsky on the other hand is the closest we have to a power forward, and he shouldn't be buried behind those two. Drury and Gomez getting the big money, and they are probably gonna get the top billing when it comes to playing. Unless Voros takes a sip of some really powerful Kool-Aid, we have nobody up front that can be really physical a la John LeClair on those late 90s Philly teams. Not saying Dubi is gonna turn into John LeClair, but having a guy who can play that role on a prominent line wouldn't hurt this team.

pmorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2008, 10:00 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

id be very surprised if dubi was moved to wing. he's been a center his whole playing life and hes done too well so far to change it up now. agree that dru could make that switch much easier. actually its a moot point, gomez is our 1, dubi can be a 2, dru can play wing and arty will be, we hope, ready next season. we would seem to be set for a bit with those guys.

oh and dont forget, hes from alaska and can an nhl team have 2 alaskan centerman? ..... is that even allowed?

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 08:32 AM
MikeyLikesHockey

ahem....

ahem....this is assuming anisimov makes the club this year.

Just because he has good AHL numbers doesn't mean he would fit in on the team.

LEt's see the line combos without Ani this season.

I think the Rangers will definitely call him up if players are injured but not right out of the gate.

Korpedo would get the call before Ani. As shown in the playoffs.

MikeyLikesHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 09:28 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entrancemperium View Post
I say move Drury to the wing.

Drury-Gomez-Zherdev
Naslund-Dubinsky-dawes
Prucka-Anisimov-Korpikoski
Voros-Betts-Sjostrom
I like where you're going, but shouldn't Dawes and Prucha be switched so that each is playing his natural position? Also, no Callahan? And what about Fritsche? I have to believe he's in there somewhere on the 3rd line, either at C or RW.

Even if you have Rissmiller making $1MM as the extra forward (which I actually believe that Renney will do, if he thinks it's necessary) plus Orr as the designated thug, that still leaves 2 extra forwards.

Everything, I mean EVERYTHING points to Slats making at least one, if not two, more moves. Given that, two thoughts: 1) we may have to wait for training camp battles (and injuries) to determine who gets shipped out and 2) I can really see Betts being one of the guys sent packing - he does a lot of the little things in the defensive end, but there's no question he's a player who can be upgraded due to his lack of offensive ability.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 10:07 AM
TomLaidlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post

Dawes, Gomez, Drury
Naslund, Dubinsky, Zherdev
Prucha, Fritsche, Callahan
Rissmiller, Betts, Sjostrom

There is my lineup
That team would get pummeled physically on a nightly basis. I think Sather gave Voros 1mill a year to be a poor mans Avery. I have my doubts on wheter he'll be able to accomplish such a task but I can't see Renney excluding him from the top 4 lines. Same with Orr. He is our nuclear threat and will be dressed on most nights.

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 03:17 PM
Entrancemperium

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
I like where you're going, but shouldn't Dawes and Prucha be switched so that each is playing his natural position? Also, no Callahan? And what about Fritsche? I have to believe he's in there somewhere on the 3rd line, either at C or RW.

Even if you have Rissmiller making $1MM as the extra forward (which I actually believe that Renney will do, if he thinks it's necessary) plus Orr as the designated thug, that still leaves 2 extra forwards.

Everything, I mean EVERYTHING points to Slats making at least one, if not two, more moves. Given that, two thoughts: 1) we may have to wait for training camp battles (and injuries) to determine who gets shipped out and 2) I can really see Betts being one of the guys sent packing - he does a lot of the little things in the defensive end, but there's no question he's a player who can be upgraded due to his lack of offensive ability.
Oh sorry you're absolutely right! I forgot about Fritsche and Callahan. Yeah a trade must be in the works. How about

Drury-Gomez-Zherdev
Naslund-Dubinsky-Fritsche
Dawes/Korpikoski-Anisimov/Korpikoski-Callahan/Prucha
Voros-Betts-Sjostrom/Orr

Basically the same but I'm guessing there's only room for one rookie this year (Korpikoski probably) unless there's a trade coming

Entrancemperium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 05:50 PM
McRanger23

As far as I'm concerned, there wont be a logjam at center until next year when Anisimov is ready. However, if I had to pick between Drury and Dubinksy being wingers I'd pick Dubi because we need a power forward over another small winger with Drury. That being said these are the lines I would go with going into this year:

Zherdev-Gomez-Prucha
Naslund-Drury-Dawes
Fritsche-Dubinsky-Callahan
Voros-Betts-Sjostrom
Orr, Rissmiller

McRanger23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2008, 12:46 AM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
All of these lines suck to be honest. Don't bother with lines when the roster isn't finished yet.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2008, 01:47 AM
NYR Viper

honestly, i espect to see drury moved to wing eventually as the future of the team will need centers and dubi and anisimov will be part of that moreso than drury in 7-8 years when they are in ther prime

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote