HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

O/T Dark Knight

Old
07-19-2008, 10:04 AM
we want cup
We do not Sow

vCash: 500
All i have to say is:

"I'm gonna make this pencil disappear..."

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 10:57 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Saw the movie last night. I am very critical when it comes to movies and i have to say that not only was this a great movie, but one of the best i've seen, ever.

Im not a huge comic movie fan, or even sci-fi, but i thought this was brilliantly performed and directed - and Heath Ledger really did round this movie out with his extremely unpredictable and deep character.

I havent left the movie theatre feeling that satisfied after paying 11.50 in a long time.

Highly recommended.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 10:59 AM
vladmyir111

vCash: 50
Ledger played his role marvelously.

Other then that it was a good summer action movie with good special effects.

Calling a comic book story with modern special effects a masterpiece though is a bit more than overboard ;p

vladmyir111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 11:05 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladmyir111 View Post

Calling a comic book story with modern special effects a masterpiece though is a bit more than overboard ;p
I can see your point, but my impression was this was the first film of its kind to kind of bridge the gap even further between mainstream drama/action films and the comic book/fiction genre...

I was really impressed in a way that other films like that hadnt come near to touching.

When i saw Iron Man i really enjoyed that too, but this was on a totally different level IMO, a serious movie.

Just because there are special effects doesnt mean its suddenly less credible. Though there were a ton of effects, it was done in a very realistic way (if that makes any sense) - without all the fluff associated with these types of films. There was something inherently dramatic about this film that i havent got from any comic book story, and i think it starts with the acting of Ledger.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 11:12 AM
MidnightRanger

Send a message via AIM to MidnightRanger
That's the way the Joker is in the comics. He is not a clown, he is a downright megalomaniac psychopath completely out of his mind with no sense of conscience or remorse or anything. Just plain unpredictable. I hate Nicholson's Joker. It was such a Joke. And the entire 60's show was campy so the stupid clown Joker fit. But Heath finally did this character Justice.

MidnightRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 11:37 AM
BleedBlue23

yeah i thought the movie was awesome, liked it more then the first one. heath ledger was amazing playing the joker. it was great cause the joker was actually funny with some parts, yet so evil at the same time.

BleedBlue23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 11:58 AM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
"I'm gonna make this pencil disappear..."
ta-daa

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 12:22 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Absolutely brilliant film. I had my doubts that Nolan & Co would be able to top Batman Begins, but they totally crushed it.

Ledger was incredible.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 12:40 PM
Choice

As HBNYC said, I'm not usually a fan of comics or sci-fi but this was pretty awesome. Ledger stole the show completely. Sick character. Can't wait to see it again on IMAX.

Choice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 12:45 PM
Captain Monglobster

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
I can see your point, but my impression was this was the first film of its kind to kind of bridge the gap even further between mainstream drama/action films and the comic book/fiction genre...

I was really impressed in a way that other films like that hadnt come near to touching.

When i saw Iron Man i really enjoyed that too, but this was on a totally different level IMO, a serious movie.

Just because there are special effects doesnt mean its suddenly less credible. Though there were a ton of effects, it was done in a very realistic way (if that makes any sense) - without all the fluff associated with these types of films. There was something inherently dramatic about this film that i havent got from any comic book story, and i think it starts with the acting of Ledger.
Atypical from a comic-book movie, each main character was struggling with inner conflict. There was much grey area between "good" and "bad" in this movie, and most of the entertainment was watching the characters try to walk that line (besides the Joker who was insane, but even that we don't really hold against him.) Usually these characters are one trick ponies and punchlines.

Captain Monglobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 12:49 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

wow, i didnt get to see it yet. im going to see it soon, but boy am i pumped for this. if it isnt as good as everyone says, ill command my money back.

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 12:57 PM
ThankYouKessel81

I saw it last night the 11 o clock show....and I must say..I was blown away...absolutley amazing...Heath Ledger was awesome in it....

P.S his magic trick is WICKED!!! LOL...for those who have seen it...you know what im talking about

Why So Serious=)

ThankYouKessel81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 01:20 PM
24morecupsthanyou*

i'm hoping that ledger's death was just a publicity stunt to get the movie extra attention, because a performance like that deserves an encore! he was absolutely splendid and stole every single scene he was in. He'll probably get a nominee for best supporting actor, but we all know he was what drove the Dark Knight to greatness and for that deserves a nomination for best LEAD.

24morecupsthanyou* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 01:59 PM
beastly115

Quote:
Originally Posted by GongShowHockeyNYR View Post
wow, i didnt get to see it yet. im going to see it soon, but boy am i pumped for this. if it isnt as good as everyone says, ill command my money back.
If you don't like this movie then there is something wrong with you not the movie

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 02:03 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaqup View Post
If you don't like this movie then there is something wrong with you not the movie
haha, who said there wasnt already i cant wait to see this movie, all im hearing is Heath Ledger is a genius.

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 02:45 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladmyir111 View Post

They actually used very little or no CGI. I was watching the HBO preview and apparently the director hates using CGI so lots of the stuff done in the movie (such as the truck flip, Batman standing on top of the building, etc.) were actually really done.

BTW, saw it yesterday evening (5:00 showing) was awesome, way better than the first. Whole cast was great.

Last edited by WhipNash27: 07-19-2008 at 02:54 PM.
WhipNash27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 02:48 PM
nyrangers14

movie was amazing, i also caught an extremely packed midnight showing. the effects were incredible after seeing a making of the film. they had everything shot for real, no CGI effects or anything which you could tell from the film. i'll reiterate what most other posts said how the joker made the movie, ledger was great. batman3 should be incredible

nyrangers14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 02:59 PM
Kmaz

Best superhero movie ever.

I have to wonder what they're going to do about the Joker in the next film. Maybe some villans get tired of his antics and kill him off before the next one begins.

Absolutely fantastic from begginning to end, even while cranking my neck wayyyy up to watch the IMAX in the 2nd row. I will see it again by weeks end.

Kmaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 03:05 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynical TyranT View Post
good to see Heath is pulling it off. When I heard he was cast as the Joker and not Eckhart... [who I always though had a real menacing grin]... I was pretty pissed at first.
This is the type of thinking/casting that made all the 1st gen batman movies horrible. Casting a body part instead of the actor. Michael Keaton was casted because they thought "How can Batman act behind a mask? Michael Keaton is great acting with his eyes! Get him!" Same with Val Kilmer for his mouth. George Clooney for his jaw.

Now let me tell you how I got these scars...

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 03:11 PM
acapps10

this movie rocked and heath was unreal

acapps10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 03:49 PM
Draft Guru

Incredible. Can't wait to see it again.

Draft Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 04:48 PM
The Thomas J.*

One thing I really liked about this movie is that you see alot of Gothom city during the day, it added an entire new prespective to the film.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 05:35 PM
Cynical TyranT
Son of a gun

Send a message via AIM to Cynical TyranT
Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
This is the type of thinking/casting that made all the 1st gen batman movies horrible. Casting a body part instead of the actor. Michael Keaton was casted because they thought "How can Batman act behind a mask? Michael Keaton is great acting with his eyes! Get him!" Same with Val Kilmer for his mouth. George Clooney for his jaw.

Now let me tell you how I got these scars...
if you think Aaron Eckhart is a lesser actor.... you've got a lot of movies to watch and do some catching up. But thanks for the attack one something I was just saying was an idea I had.

Cynical TyranT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 06:34 PM
Shadowtron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynical TyranT View Post
if you think Aaron Eckhart is a lesser actor.... you've got a lot of movies to watch and do some catching up. But thanks for the attack one something I was just saying was an idea I had.
Plus, his statement is wrong. Keaton was cast because Burton felt Keaton was the only actor who could pull off that dark, obsessed character.

Shadowtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 07:35 PM
Whoot Whoot
Biased-NYR-Homer

not bad not bad.

yet this was predictably unpredictable, same plots new twists

nothing nearly as good as there will be blood from last year.

non intellectual film

Whoot Whoot is offline   Reply With Quote