HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

O/T Dark Knight

Old
07-19-2008, 07:47 PM
MidnightRanger

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to MidnightRanger
It's a superhero movie! The day you start taking this stuff seriously and expecting intellectualism you'll be in trouble. Having said that this movie was light years smarter than 90% of the junk that Hollywood puts out now. Name one intelligent HOLLYWOOD film that has come out this year... I can't think of one. But this director, with this movie, topped one if not both of 2 of the most intellectual movies ever made and which he himself directed, Memento and The Prestige. Both intellectual movies that were great and while I loved them, I thought this movie was better than both.

MidnightRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 08:21 PM
Whoot Whoot
Biased-NYR-Homer

well to those who think this movie is better then Godfather 1/2 etc...it doesn't say alot for them (see IMDB)

Whoot Whoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 09:58 PM
sickboy35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoot Whoot View Post
well to those who think this movie is better then Godfather 1/2 etc...it doesn't say alot for them (see IMDB)
i think they said in their top five? but still you can't be serious with the statement your wrote before? non-intellectual film? like broadway wrote it's a superhero movie! relax brother and just escape for 2 1/2 hours!

sickboy35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 10:34 PM
silverfish
KEVIN!

I just came home from seeing this movie and all I can say is it met my expectations and more. Ledger's performance was absolutely unreal, and not to mention the other guy, Christian Bale acted phenomenally well.

This film easily cracks my top 5 favorite movies of all time.

silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 11:57 PM
poeman
Fixing Rangers PP

Top 3 best movies of all time for me...

Will defintely get Heath his oscar...and I will make a bold prediction and say this will be nominated for Best Picture and might even win it if everything else this year is weak enough

poeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2008, 05:24 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Just saw it. All I can say is.....wow. Heath Ledger gives the performance of a lifetime. I sat back and thought to myself, you know, if i were in a confrontation with Heath Ledgers joker, I would **** myself right there. Thats how ****ing incredible he was. Only negative about the movie is that Heath Ledger is dead, and cant reprise one of the most spectacular roles i have ever seen.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2008, 06:26 PM
vladmyir111

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by poeman View Post
Top 3 best movies of all time for me...

Will defintely get Heath his oscar...and I will make a bold prediction and say this will be nominated for Best Picture and might even win it if everything else this year is weak enough
Relax. He was great, but it's being over-hyped due to his death. In fact only 6 people have ever been nominated for an oscar post-humously with just one winning.

Hell even James Dean didn't win after he died and I think he was a bit more famous

vladmyir111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2008, 07:06 PM
dedalus

Strong indeed but I'd rate the last one higher. Very little was done with Wayne's character as a character, and we're not allowed to see the Joker's past. (Which was a good decision IMO.) Great fun seeing the making of Harvey Two-Face, and the character itself was WAAAAAYYY better than the Tommy Lee Jones incarnation. (Not that this was TLJ's fault.)

Def worth the rpice of admission.

dedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2008, 07:13 PM
dedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoot Whoot View Post
nothing nearly as good as there will be blood from last year.
I agree but in fairness you're saying, "This apple is nothing nearly as good as that orange I ate yesterday."

There's simply no way to compare Dark Knight with TWBB.

dedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2008, 08:14 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynical TyranT View Post
if you think Aaron Eckhart is a lesser actor.... you've got a lot of movies to watch and do some catching up. But thanks for the attack one something I was just saying was an idea I had.
I made no slight at Eckhart. He also was great in the movie and given the directing staff and script on this film, could have done a brilliant job as the Joker. Nor will I dispute the "quoted from the ever reliable wikipedia" Tim Burton remark (of course Burton would require any of his lead actors to pull off dark and weird). However I stand by my statement that Keaton, Nicholson, Kilmer, and Clooney were part casted. This is something that casting directors will do and for the large part determines which actors get to read for the director. What is my source? An academy board member told me. Take it with a grain of salt. Maybe he was blowing smoke up my ass but it's all pretty legit to me. All of the mentioned actors are great and talented actors but that doesn't mean they are the right guys for the part. Aside from the casting directors, I guess most of my ire for the earlier Batman's should be directed at the writers who failed to capture what I feel is the real Batman and Joker and their relationship with each other.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2008, 09:20 PM
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
Saw it last night and it was good. Got there twenty minutes early and still had to sit in the third row. As good as Heath Ledger was, the performance that blew me away was Aaron Eckhart's. Man was he good in this.

NYR94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2008, 10:18 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

I didnt get to see the Dark Knight yet, but i just finished watching Batman Begins, and i think this movie is one of my favorites. i love how in the end the detective(forgot his name already) gives Batman a Joker card and says "he left his calling card" and Batman goes "I'll see what i can do". That just made me go alright i need to see this ****ING movie already

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2008, 10:58 PM
bleedblue94

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladmyir111 View Post
Relax. He was great, but it's being over-hyped due to his death. In fact only 6 people have ever been nominated for an oscar post-humously with just one winning.

Hell even James Dean didn't win after he died and I think he was a bit more famous
have you even seen it yet or are you just making a comment based on what all the people were saying prerelease? bc i heard allot of positives about the joker character even before it was released (in reviews written by people who saw screenings) and allot of them beamed about it yet many people wrote that they were just saying that to hype the movie. well if youve seen it youd know there was NO reason to hype ledger's character bc it speaks for itself. the whole film does. i didnt expect much from him in this film but he completely blew me away as did mostly the whole film

bleedblue94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 01:19 AM
silverfish
KEVIN!

A record breaking $155 million in it's opening weekend

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/7516316.stm

silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 07:36 AM
vladmyir111

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue94 View Post
have you even seen it yet or are you just making a comment based on what all the people were saying prerelease? bc i heard allot of positives about the joker character even before it was released (in reviews written by people who saw screenings) and allot of them beamed about it yet many people wrote that they were just saying that to hype the movie. well if youve seen it youd know there was NO reason to hype ledger's character bc it speaks for itself. the whole film does. i didnt expect much from him in this film but he completely blew me away as did mostly the whole film
I saw it on opening night and it's a great movie. Still completely over-hyped. Some are doing it as a tribute and others as a way of boosting sales.

vladmyir111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 09:37 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Great flick. I'm a huge movie snob and don't pretend otherwise, but this is EXACTLY what you want from a summer comic book blockbuster. Ledger's performance is truly magnificent, we lost out on a great talent when he died.

10/10 The movie simply delivers and the hype actually fits this time.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 10:06 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Whats amazing to me is, whenever a really good movie comes out i try and search for that one critic who is the guy who says it sucks because they actually do believe it sucks, or are just being silly because they want to argue and be different.

I've spoken to more than 25 people who have seen this movie and not one of them have a negative thing to say. Then i come on here and basically every post shows nothing but praise.

That to me means its an all time great film.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 03:02 PM
bleedblue94

Quote:
I saw it on opening night and it's a great movie. Still completely over-hyped. Some are doing it as a tribute and others as a way of boosting sales.
some may have before... but im pretty sure once people have seen it they understand the film speaks for itself

bleedblue94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 03:24 PM
chosen

3.5 out of 4 stars.

Best of the superhero flicks and great for about 2 hours. They extended it a bit too long, in my opinion. Ledger is great, though. It's not hype.

P.S. I review movies.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 03:26 PM
chosen

Quote:

It is easier today to win an Oscar posthumously because we are more of a hype driven culture now. By the way, James Dean is far bigger in death than he ever was in life.

Old
07-21-2008, 03:37 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
3.5 out of 4 stars.

Best of the superhero flicks and great for about 2 hours. They extended it a bit too long, in my opinion. Ledger is great, though. It's not hype.

P.S. I review movies.
How so? What do you think was unnecessary?

Old
07-21-2008, 03:53 PM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
How so? What do you think was unnecessary?
Nothing is necessary or unnecessary unless you want to get into details like did the scene propel the movie forwards or not. I don't think every scene did that but I'm also not saying there were any particular weak scenes. I would say that the chase scene with the trucks was a bit long, though.

It's still an excellent movie and 3.5 out of 4 stars says that I think that. Most years I might give out 4 stars to only one movie. Some years I don't give any.

All that said, just because I'm a critic doesn't mean that my opinion is worth any more than anyone else's. Just my opinion.

Old
07-21-2008, 04:04 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
Nothing is necessary or unnecessary unless you want to get into details like did the scene propel the movie forwards or not. I don't think every scene did that but I'm also not saying there were any particular weak scenes. I would say that the chase scene with the trucks was a bit long, though.

It's still an excellent movie and 3.5 out of 4 stars says that I think that. Most years I might give out 4 stars to only one movie. Some years I don't give any.

All that said, just because I'm a critic doesn't mean that my opinion is worth any more than anyone else's. Just my opinion.

I work in film so I was just curious what you thought might have been a little too much. I have to admit, I loved it and i'm not usually the audience for this kind of film.

Its tough being a film cricket

Old
07-21-2008, 04:36 PM
tinyzombies

The character kind of morphed into the goody-goody Superman from the Dark Knight graphic novel. He's too good that he can't see the corruption from government, military, media and chooses to be a superficial symbol.

I thought the movie was okay, especially Ledger, but I expect the sequel to live up the graphic novel a bit more. It's too bad Ledger isn't around anymore, that kind of ruins the series.

I've been out of touch with comic books since the mid-80's when I was a kid though and I've found out that the plotline from those graphic novels has become sort of a cliche. It's too bad, because that sort of corruption needs to be addressed today more than ever and it was glossed over in the movie. In fact, the wrong message is sent at the end vis-a-vis terrorism. But that's a political ball o' wax.

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 09:01 PM
LeftCoastRangersFan

I thought Heath was absolutely fantastic as the Joker & Bale continues to be the best Batman I've seen. However, lets be honest here, all hype aside this movie ain't that great. Definitely not worth the (high) cost of admission these days. If Heath hadn't died there'd be much less talk about this film.

Wait for the rental.

LeftCoastRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote