HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Room for the kids?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-18-2008, 06:55 PM
  #1
Ovens
Registered User
 
Ovens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 215
vCash: 500
Room for the kids?

I see very little room for the likes of Byers and Korpikoski to name a few of the better prospects challenging for a roster spot this year at camp, we already need to dump players realistically as we are close to the cap, I've got nothing against Rissmiller for example but we paid a million for a guy to play a role that someone from Hartford could have filled.

Please don't say look at Dawes and Cally, they were around the previous year, Dubi was the only pack player to made it last year, with Staal coming straight from the juniors.

Why was it that we cleared out in 2004?, to have guys sit in Hartford for a few years whilst journeymen take up the chance of a spot, surely it would have been better to leave a couple of spots open and then filled them after camp with bit parts if the kids with potential were not deemed good enough.

Baranka already cleared off, ironically he had a good shot this year, korpikoski will be off to Finland next summer to make some money if he sits in Hartford for another full year, I could think of others who could be off like jack rabbits as well.

You can readily point out that there could be injuries, sure there could, however going by last year Renney was inclined to use journeyman Struds to fill holes than call someone up.

I just can't see the incentive for these guys to work their butts of all summer for their shot at making their team where in reality they stand little or no chance of making a roster that's already stacked.These kids aren't dumb they can see this as well as the rest of us.

I'd appreciate your thoughts.

Ovens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2008, 07:06 PM
  #2
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh
 
Burlington Bomb 26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Green Mountain State
Country: United States
Posts: 16,615
vCash: 500
i think Korpedo, and Anisimov will end up playing on the team by January.

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2008, 07:18 PM
  #3
DubiDubiDoo
Registered User
 
DubiDubiDoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Garden City, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 2,927
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to DubiDubiDoo
Voros, Betts, Orr, Riismiller,Sjostrom, and to be honest even callahan are all forwards who could sit if they struggle and a guy like (anisimov, korpi) are hot. Add that to some injury time and to be honest thats about as much more youth im ready to see up front this season. (dawes,prucha,cally,dubi,fristche, zherdev, sjo, add korpi or anisimov and thats 8 forwards 25 yrs old and younger, and that would worry me a bit)

as for defense, there is definately a spot that can be earned, but to be honest no one is breaking down the door just yet....maybe sangs, but not to start the season...
I think were in pretty good shape honestly

DubiDubiDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2008, 08:31 PM
  #4
Levitate
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 21,031
vCash: 500
I think this management and coaching staff have shown the ability and willingness to work their prospects into the lineup. Each year, several young prospects have made their way in and contributed. I'm not really worried about the next group of guys earning their way onto the team.

I think we're too hasty to expect a bunch of players to make it every single year and expect them all to contribute significantly

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2008, 08:37 PM
  #5
D713B
Registered User
 
D713B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,624
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiDubiDoo View Post
Voros, Betts, Orr, Riismiller,Sjostrom, and to be honest even callahan are all forwards who could sit if they struggle and a guy like (anisimov, korpi) are hot. Add that to some injury time and to be honest thats about as much more youth im ready to see up front this season. (dawes,prucha,cally,dubi,fristche, zherdev, sjo, add korpi or anisimov and thats 8 forwards 25 yrs old and younger, and that would worry me a bit)

as for defense, there is definately a spot that can be earned, but to be honest no one is breaking down the door just yet....maybe sangs, but not to start the season...
I think were in pretty good shape honestly
Who on defense do you see cracking the top 6? Maybe as a 7th d-man but I don't see why we would want a young guy wallowing away as a 7th man. We already have Rozy, Redden, Staal, Girardi, Mara and Kalinin.

D713B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2008, 08:38 PM
  #6
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh
 
Burlington Bomb 26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Green Mountain State
Country: United States
Posts: 16,615
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by D713B View Post
Who on defense do you see cracking the top 6? Maybe as a 7th d-man but I don't see why we would want a young guy wallowing away as a 7th man. We already have Rozy, Redden, Staal, Girardi, Mara and Kalinin.
IMO Pock = 7th man

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2008, 10:39 PM
  #7
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 16,229
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovens View Post
I see very little room for the likes of Byers and Korpikoski to name a few of the better prospects challenging for a roster spot this year at camp, we already need to dump players realistically as we are close to the cap, I've got nothing against Rissmiller for example but we paid a million for a guy to play a role that someone from Hartford could have filled.

Please don't say look at Dawes and Cally, they were around the previous year, Dubi was the only pack player to made it last year, with Staal coming straight from the juniors.

Why was it that we cleared out in 2004?, to have guys sit in Hartford for a few years whilst journeymen take up the chance of a spot, surely it would have been better to leave a couple of spots open and then filled them after camp with bit parts if the kids with potential were not deemed good enough.

Baranka already cleared off, ironically he had a good shot this year, korpikoski will be off to Finland next summer to make some money if he sits in Hartford for another full year, I could think of others who could be off like jack rabbits as well.

You can readily point out that there could be injuries, sure there could, however going by last year Renney was inclined to use journeyman Struds to fill holes than call someone up.

I just can't see the incentive for these guys to work their butts of all summer for their shot at making their team where in reality they stand little or no chance of making a roster that's already stacked.These kids aren't dumb they can see this as well as the rest of us.

I'd appreciate your thoughts.
Not sure how can you say: "Please don't say look at Dawes and Cally, they were around the previous year, Dubi was the only pack player to made it last year, with Staal coming straight from the juniors."

Dubinsky was ALSO around the previous year.

This was Dawes' rookie season.

This was Callahan's rookie season.

This was only Girardi's first full season.

Dubinsky's rookie season.

Staal's rookie season.


Korpikoski absolutely has a chance to make the club out of camp.

Fritsche, who was traded for, is only 23 years old.

Zherdev, who was traded for, is only 23 years old.


We only have 4 guys on the roster that are 30 years of age or older. And that includes Valiquette.


If there were any real quality players primed to make the club from Hartford (other then Anisimov and Korpikoski) they would and will make room, if they are ready.


Rissmiller and Voros were depth signings.



What players that are journeyman are taking up places?

Zherdev, Staal, Girardi, Dawes, Dubinsky, Fritsche, Callahan, Sjostrom(if resigned), Prucha all have a spot on the roster at this point in time and they are all 25 years old or younger.


Last edited by SupersonicMonkey*: 07-18-2008 at 11:05 PM.
SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 12:12 AM
  #8
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,952
vCash: 500
the rangers have proven that they will not rush prospects into the nhl....and they will also make room for them if they think they are totally ready.....it seems like the plan is to bounce them up and down a couple times so they keep getting playing time and keep improving on what they need to and eventually making the team........anisimov is only 20 y/o...IMO he could use another strong season in the AHL to refine his offensive game....same with jessiman, same with byers, same with korpikoski

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 12:24 AM
  #9
DubiDubiDoo
Registered User
 
DubiDubiDoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Garden City, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 2,927
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to DubiDubiDoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by D713B View Post
Who on defense do you see cracking the top 6? Maybe as a 7th d-man but I don't see why we would want a young guy wallowing away as a 7th man. We already have Rozy, Redden, Staal, Girardi, Mara and Kalinin.
Not from my own experience, because I'll admit I haven't seen him play much, but the folks in buffalo seem a little to happy that Kalinin is gone. Just makes me wonder if we just finally got rid of malik, only to have picked up someone elses malik! So truth be told, if I have to watch a d-man make some sloppy rookie mistakes, than i want that d-man to be a rookie.
But I did say in my original post nobody as of yet is breaking down the door to deserve a roster spot on D, but hey, ya never know...

I agree with you though that I have no desire to see a prospect come up and play once a week.

DubiDubiDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 01:55 AM
  #10
AverysGlasses
 
AverysGlasses's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bristol, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 66
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to AverysGlasses
It will all come down to training camp, guys like Dubinsky, Dawes, Callahan, and Staal earned their spots through preseason performances, Staal maybe because of his name, but I think he played beyond a rookie.

AverysGlasses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 02:27 AM
  #11
eco's bones
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Elmira NY
Country: United States
Posts: 12,748
vCash: 500
Of the moves we made the one that is a little mistifying to me is Rissmiller. I could see Voros because the Rangers still lack grit up front. Losing Avery and getting rid of Hollweg are not going to help that. Rissmiller has size but does not seem like an overly physical guy and I'm wondering if he's this year's version of Jason Ward? In this respect I think Dane Byers does have a shot--size, agression, some skills, no problem sticking up for himself or his teammates. Korpikoski as well is going to have to beat someone out for a job. I think he's capable. It may be that a couple guys we have now are moved before the season starts.

As for defense Corey Potter will be 24. I'm not sure that using him as a 7th d-man sending him to Hartford now and again would hurt him. The other two candidates look to be Fahey an older Mike Mottau? type journeyman and Pock. Let the best guy win.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 11:47 AM
  #12
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 16,229
vCash: 500
I think what is being lost is the fact that this is the youngest NY Rangers team since the 89-90 team.


Last edited by SupersonicMonkey*: 07-19-2008 at 01:30 PM.
SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 04:48 PM
  #13
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,952
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PukkuMikku View Post
I think what is being lost is the fact that this is the youngest NY Rangers team since the 89-90 team.
GOOD!!!.....the thing is, i dont think the rangers overall lost a ton of skill from last year....granted some guys havent hit their potential, but the skill is there in zherdev. dubinsky, gomez, redde, girardi, staal, hank.....i know a lot of those players are young, but it will be nice watching a lot of these players develop in NYC instead of getting them at the tail-end of their careers

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 05:13 PM
  #14
DubiDubiDoo
Registered User
 
DubiDubiDoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Garden City, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 2,927
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to DubiDubiDoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by PukkuMikku View Post
Not sure how can you say: "Please don't say look at Dawes and Cally, they were around the previous year, Dubi was the only pack player to made it last year, with Staal coming straight from the juniors."

Dubinsky was ALSO around the previous year.

This was Dawes' rookie season.

This was Callahan's rookie season.

This was only Girardi's first full season.

Dubinsky's rookie season.

Staal's rookie season.


Korpikoski absolutely has a chance to make the club out of camp.

Fritsche, who was traded for, is only 23 years old.

Zherdev, who was traded for, is only 23 years old.


We only have 4 guys on the roster that are 30 years of age or older. And that includes Valiquette.


If there were any real quality players primed to make the club from Hartford (other then Anisimov and Korpikoski) they would and will make room, if they are ready.


Rissmiller and Voros were depth signings.



What players that are journeyman are taking up places?

Zherdev, Staal, Girardi, Dawes, Dubinsky, Fritsche, Callahan, Sjostrom(if resigned), Prucha all have a spot on the roster at this point in time and they are all 25 years old or younger.
Haha, did u read my post??? very similar.....i believe the saying is great minds think alike

DubiDubiDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 08:15 PM
  #15
D713B
Registered User
 
D713B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,624
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GongShowHockeyNYR View Post
IMO Pock = 7th man
Thats what I believe as well. I just no longer consider him a prospect. I believe he is best suited as a 7th d-man depth guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiDubiDoo View Post
Not from my own experience, because I'll admit I haven't seen him play much, but the folks in buffalo seem a little to happy that Kalinin is gone. Just makes me wonder if we just finally got rid of malik, only to have picked up someone elses malik! So truth be told, if I have to watch a d-man make some sloppy rookie mistakes, than i want that d-man to be a rookie.
But I did say in my original post nobody as of yet is breaking down the door to deserve a roster spot on D, but hey, ya never know...

I agree with you though that I have no desire to see a prospect come up and play once a week.
I'm with you on the Malik comparisons. I'm skeptic of Kalinin as well but he won't be getting top line minutes like Malik was so I'm going to hold off judging him until I see him hit the ice. My hope for him is that he is a solid 6th man on an overall defensively responsible team which should help his cause.

D713B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 09:58 PM
  #16
DubiDubiDoo
Registered User
 
DubiDubiDoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Garden City, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 2,927
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to DubiDubiDoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by D713B View Post
Thats what I believe as well. I just no longer consider him a prospect. I believe he is best suited as a 7th d-man depth guy.


I'm with you on the Malik comparisons. I'm skeptic of Kalinin as well but he won't be getting top line minutes like Malik was so I'm going to hold off judging him until I see him hit the ice. My hope for him is that he is a solid 6th man on an overall defensively responsible team which should help his cause.
Completely agree, although malik only averaged 20 minutes a night (he didnt pk or pp or they would have been higher) he was marched out against top lines and exploited, kalinin will rarely see other teams top lines so i'm hoping he turns out to be a serviceble #6.

DubiDubiDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2008, 12:37 AM
  #17
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,952
vCash: 500
malik did pk a TON........he is a very good pker due to his reach....

kalinin is a very solid 5-6 defenseman and the nice thing is he is a good skater which will only help considering he will jump up into the play......also, expect to see drury really help him....

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2008, 02:03 AM
  #18
D713B
Registered User
 
D713B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,624
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
malik did pk a TON........he is a very good pker due to his reach....

kalinin is a very solid 5-6 defenseman and the nice thing is he is a good skater which will only help considering he will jump up into the play......also, expect to see drury really help him....
You're correct about Malik. He gave more than most recognized. However on our top line he was somewhat overexposed. So maybe appropriately categorized he was played above his level. Maybe he was a 4th or 5th guy. Which I believe is the general consensus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiDubiDoo View Post
Completely agree, although malik only averaged 20 minutes a night (he didnt pk or pp or they would have been higher) he was marched out against top lines and exploited, kalinin will rarely see other teams top lines so i'm hoping he turns out to be a serviceble #6.
Which honestly would be awesome... if Kalinin is our 6th d-man we have a top notch defense. I'm well aware of his down falls but any team with him as your serviceable 6th man is a good team. Not too mention that potential defense is all under 31 years of age (correct me if I'm wrong)...

Alright, so I've been out drinking...it could still happen!

D713B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2008, 12:21 PM
  #19
DubiDubiDoo
Registered User
 
DubiDubiDoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Garden City, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 2,927
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to DubiDubiDoo
I repect everyone's view of malik's contributions, but i have a hard time seeing how he did a ton of PK'ing while he averaged under 20 minutes of ice a game. I think our d was done by commitee with exception to our anemic power play

DubiDubiDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 01:23 PM
  #20
GAGLine
Registered User
 
GAGLine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 9,338
vCash: 500
The Rangers are not going to hand a job to a prospect. The prospect must earn that spot in camp. If Korpikoski and Byers are better options than Rissmiller and Voros, guess which 2 will be playing?

But the possibility exists that they both (or any other prospect for that matter) need more time in the AHL. In that event, the Rangers would be foolish if they didn't already have an NHL caliber player to fill that spot. How bad would it be if they waited until camp to decide the prospects aren't ready and then had to scramble to find a player (or worse play the prospect before he is ready)?

Look at Staal last year. He beat out both Kaspar and Hutchinson and earned a job in the top 6. Dawes was sent down after camp, but eventually earned his way back and into the lineup. Callahan got sent down and worked his way back again.

The best players will be the ones that play, but we won't know who the best players are until training camp. Extra bodies can be moved or sent down once we know who the extras are.

GAGLine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 01:33 PM
  #21
rangerfan2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 59
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
The Rangers are not going to hand a job to a prospect. The prospect must earn that spot in camp. If Korpikoski and Byers are better options than Rissmiller and Voros, guess which 2 will be playing?

But the possibility exists that they both (or any other prospect for that matter) need more time in the AHL. In that event, the Rangers would be foolish if they didn't already have an NHL caliber player to fill that spot. How bad would it be if they waited until camp to decide the prospects aren't ready and then had to scramble to find a player (or worse play the prospect before he is ready)?

Look at Staal last year. He beat out both Kaspar and Hutchinson and earned a job in the top 6. Dawes was sent down after camp, but eventually earned his way back and into the lineup. Callahan got sent down and worked his way back again.

The best players will be the ones that play, but we won't know who the best players are until training camp. Extra bodies can be moved or sent down once we know who the extras are.
Couldn't have said it better myself!

rangerfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:53 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.