HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tribute to players that turned the team around

Old
07-18-2008, 03:08 PM
NYRKing

vCash: 500
Tribute to players that turned the team around

After losing Jagr and Tyutin there is no doubt this is a brand new chapter for the Rangers. I'm excited for the new team, but I just wanted to take a moment to praise the guys that helped turn this team around after the lockout . Simply put, our 2005-2006 was awesome. After years of struggling to make the playoffs we were entering the new era with a team which many thought would have no chance of making the playoffs. While I enjoyed the play of some of the veterans, I felt like it was that young core of players with Jagr that really turned the team around.

Jagr- The man basically carried this team. Even though he was a pain in the ass at times. His resurrected scoring touch was unbelievable. In 05 when we played the Flyers and Isles he was unstoppable.

Lundquist- Who new we would find someone that would replace Richter and become our Franchise goalie. The days of Dunham were finally over.

Tyutin- While I thought we made a great trade to get Zherdev, I think we must applaud Fedor. He was a homegrown player that we haven't seen in a long time, and always a fan favorite.

Prucha- Its been tough for Prucha lately. He is facing a lot of pressure ever since his rookie year. But man what a year it was. Scoring thirty-goals with such a great shot. I remember him flying out of the box in nashville and scoring on a beautiful break-away. And who can forget his shoot-out goal vs Marty. I actually still think he can be a solid second line player.

While those guys might be the obvious four to choose for this list, I think that there were three guys that really have gone unnoticed.

Dominic Moore, Jed Ortmeyer, and Ryan Hollweg- I know Hollweg really didn't help us last year, but sometimes his hitting sprees were electric. Moore and Ortmeyer were truly great energy players that gave our team the work-ethic that was needed to win. It was too bad that we lost Ortmeyer, I really thought he could of been one of those players mainstay players on our roster for years to come.

Anyway, its great to remember, but its time for the future! Hopefully 08-09 will be a lot of fun.

NYRKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2008, 03:16 PM
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor

good post.

Blueshirt Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2008, 04:47 PM
Blueblood 2

The core players who turned this team around are still here and on the way.. Zheredev in place of Fedor and the 5th round franchise guy who replaces Holweg. The guys who left and returned nothing, were just rental "plug ins" to carry us through the transititon.

Blueblood 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2008, 04:53 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

You can add Nylander and Rozsi to that list too.

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2008, 04:56 PM
Prospalous

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubblegumGang184434 View Post
You can add Nylander to that list too.
fixed [:

Prospalous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2008, 04:57 PM
Blueshirt Brawler

You can basically thank Jagr and Lundqvist for the last three years. Without them this team would still be riding the playoffless streak. And you need both of them to make the playoffs. Now without Jagr, guys like Naslund and Zherdev have to divide up the big plays that Jags made between them to get us back to the playoffs. We need them to play like 1st line wingers.

Blueshirt Brawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2008, 04:59 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

awww **** it.

no one is to thank but Sather.

kidding of course.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2008, 06:10 PM
FromDubiToZherdev*

Send a message via AIM to FromDubiToZherdev* Send a message via MSN to FromDubiToZherdev*
I miss Ortmeyer. He barely even plays in Nashville. He is a UFA next year. Too bad he had money problems with $lats Where is Straka? He definitely played 120% every game, and for a guy his size, he worked his ass every game.

FromDubiToZherdev* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2008, 09:30 PM
Choice

Good post. Jagr, Nylander, Toots, Orts, Hollweg are all guys who contributed to the franchise turnaround and are no longer here. Think I ranked them in order of importance too.

Choice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2008, 11:47 PM
TheHotRock

don't forget straka.
i was a big homo for the hmo line too. the puck always seemed to be down low when they were ont he ice. they couldn't score...but at least they kept it deep...they really battled.

TheHotRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2008, 11:56 PM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHotRock View Post
don't forget straka.
i was a big homo for the hmo line too. the puck always seemed to be down low when they were ont he ice. they couldn't score...but at least they kept it deep...they really battled.
I came into this thread knowing that my post was going to be about the HMO line. Every time they were on the ice something exciting was happening, they really led the energy for the other guys on the team like Jags, Nylander, Straka etc.

I'd also like to represent Kevin Weekes in this thread. Lord knows he didn't play many games after everyone Realized Lundqvist was the golden child goalie, but he was a great personality and locker room presence. He and Vally are very very good at their roles of backup goalie, and I just feel Kevin is forgotten around here, when he shouldn't be

silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2008, 11:58 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAWESGOTPAWES View Post
fixed [:
how? Rozsival stepped into a HUGE role as the #1 dman for 3 years. he should get some credit.

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 01:16 AM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubblegumGang184434 View Post
how? Rozsival stepped into a HUGE role as the #1 dman for 3 years. he should get some credit.
Agreed. He really held his own in a position he had by no means any right to play in the first place (no offense rozy)

silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 01:14 PM
Black Tank

Great post. Like others have said, I'd add Roszival, Straka, and Nylander to the list. These last three demonstrated that this wasn't a ufa graveyard where oldsters could take a dump on the center ice Rangers logo at MSG while calling their accountant to figure out exactly how much they stole from the Rangers. During the game.

Instead they played hard, contributed and became Rangers.

I also think an honorable mention goes to 2 guys who get a lot of flak from fans but who helped change the team for the better: Hollweg, who helped bring a menace to the Rangers forecheck that had been absent for too long, and Orr who showed that the Ranger would dress and play a guy that wants to go toe-to-toe with whatever cretin the likes of the Devils and Philly dredge up.

Black Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 01:35 PM
Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHotRock View Post
don't forget straka.
True. Straka was a warrior like we never had during the dark years.

Choice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 11:40 PM
polako

That 05-06 team will always have a special place in NYR fans' hearts. It's almost as if the lockout was a blessing for the team, as absolutely everything changed.

That year on these boards was so much fun.

Anyway, I know everybody contributed their share, but I'd also like to add some of the unmentioned:

Betts and Jason Ward for their pk hustle
Sykora for his beautiful shootout goals
Kaspar for his monster hip checks
Marek and Poti, the undeserved whipping boys, for their combined +42
Marek for his shootout goal vs WSH

polako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2008, 12:58 AM
danno2530

Send a message via Yahoo to danno2530
Quote:
Originally Posted by polako View Post
That 05-06 team will always have a special place in NYR fans' hearts. It's almost as if the lockout was a blessing for the team, as absolutely everything changed.

Anyway, I know everybody contributed their share, but I'd also like to add some of the unmentioned:

Agreed. That first season, especially the first couple of months, was the most fun I've had watching the Rangers since the 1997 playoffs. Granted, there wasn't much to cheer for in between, but it was very nice to have a winning team again.

Betts definitely deserves credit. I don't think many people knew who he even was coming into that season, but he managed a few goals and provided some much-needed grit and penalty killing ability. And he still does. And he's still an extremely unsung hero in my opinion.

Sykora was great after coming here too. Erased all hatred I had of him as a Devil.

danno2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2008, 01:05 AM
Ranger35
Proud of NYR

Send a message via AIM to Ranger35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Choice View Post
True. Straka was a warrior like we never had during the dark years.
Straka definitely deserves his credit, he was inspiring in his play as a Ranger, never ever gave up, I expected him to miss a lot of time with all of his history with injuries, but he was amazing.

Ranger35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2008, 12:13 PM
Chris 84

Quote:
Originally Posted by polako View Post

All true.

Chris 84 is offline   Reply With Quote