HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Slats' Head-scratching Summer

Old
07-20-2008, 07:15 AM
Blazephr

vCash: 500
Slats' Head-scratching Summer

SLATS' HEAD-SCRATCHING SUMMER

http://www.nypost.com/seven/07202008...mer_120656.htm

Blazephr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2008, 07:23 AM
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor

Who knows?

I'm hoping Brooks ends up eating his words.

I hated the Lindros trade and Sather's lion-mouse analogy, but this offseason he did act like a lion. Didn't play it safe at all.

klingsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2008, 07:31 AM
NYRangers09

This article has officially pushed me over the limit with Larry Brooks. He is so annoying. No matter what happens with the team he always has something negative to say

NYRangers09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2008, 07:40 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Terrible article

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2008, 08:31 AM
AJ1982

Send a message via AIM to AJ1982
I think some of the questions he puts out there are fair to ask.

However, at no point does he get to the question of whether or not the Rangers are in a better place now than before. I would argue that, in terms of long ter future, the team is better off now than before.

Larry is so wrapped up about the Naslund and Redden deals and the no-trade/limited no-trade clause tht he is dismissing the value these guys can bring. Naslund, if he doesn't perform, is gone in two-years. Redden has a limited NTC, we can still trade him to 21 teams if necessary. I don't think these deals will be the huge difficulty that Brooks' envisions. He seems to assume they are both going to flop and that the deals are a return to the pre-lockout Rangers. I see these additions as 1) a necessary addition to a pretty weak dman corps and 2) a veteran addition to a group of forwards that have just lost a great vet in Jagr. It amy be questionable about letting Jagr go, but maybe Jagr was delaying because he reallydid want to go. But, replacing veteran leadership in a pretty young team is hardly a return to the days of signing every big freeagent out there and not giving youngsters a chance.

AJ1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2008, 08:54 AM
Son of Steinbrenner

I hate brooks but those are some of the same questions I've asked since june....

great article...

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2008, 09:06 AM
blue2noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by klingsor View Post
Who knows?

I'm hoping Brooks ends up eating his words.
Like predicting the Devils in the first round?

blue2noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2008, 09:22 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873

Sorry, but I for one am glad Shanny is gone. I would have liked to have kept Jagr, but not for a 2 year deal so in essence I'm OK that he's gone as well and for Avery, 3.85 is to much money. 3 million is about right and I think Sather offered the player what he was worth.

I'm excited about the moves that were made this summer. I think that the kids he's mocking will have a presence on more important lines than the 3rd and 4th as I can see Korpikoski and Dawes making the team as a 1st and 2nd liners. I do not believe they are going have Zherdev and Naslund on the same line.

As a poster pointed out, no matter what the Rangers do, Brooks will find fault in that and since he gets paid by the post to write, he will put this garbage out there for us to read and complain about.

Nothing new in NY Post land

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2008, 09:33 AM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazephr View Post
Brooks is a ****ing tool.

Honestly, I remember seeing reports everywhere that Brooks turned down MORE money from the Rangers to stay with the pens, so where brooks gets this **** from I have no idea.

07-20-2008, 09:35 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
What happened to Tommy Pyatt and Brodie Dupont and Dane Byers and Billy Ryan, for instance? What's happened to Greg Moore that he can't be a low-cost, fourth-line winger?
Jeezus, Ryan's not even in the organization anymore. And, no, Dupont and Pyatt are CLEARLY not ready...bad job by the Rangers...everyone knows that every prospect needs only one year in the AHL, or he's no good. As for Byers and Moore, who's to say they don't force the Rangers to move Betts or Rissmiller. Hutchinson got sent to the AHL last year.

And, again, why does every journalist associated with this team not TRULY grasp what took place in 2004 and what's gone on since then. The Jagr years were the bridge out of the darkness. The Rangers caught lightning in a bottle in 2005-6. And, tried to capitalize on that core while they had the chance. The difference now is that this team is NOT built around Naslund. He's just a player who can provide production while fitting a role on this team...NOT having the whole offense bent to his whim...and not at a cost of $7 million or so, for 3 more years, which Jagr has stated that he wanted and KNEW the Rangers were in no position to give him.

As for Kalinin...the Rangers JUST went out and got a 23-year-old player with the talent to become a major star. It's clear that Zherdev has needed veteran Russians around him to feel more part of the team. $2.1 million in order to get the best out of the most talented offensive player you have is a smart investment, IMO.

And, as usual, everyone seems to think that the opening night roster is the one that becomes set in stone for the season. If anything, wouldn't writers and fans alike realize that rosters evolve over the course of the season, (especially after watching this team the past three years)? Just an awful job by Brooks.

Last edited by jas: 07-20-2008 at 09:50 AM.
jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2008, 09:40 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Dubinsky View Post
Brooks is a ****ing tool.

Honestly, I remember seeing reports everywhere that Brooks turned down MORE money from the Rangers to stay with the pens, so where brooks gets this **** from I have no idea.
I also saw numerous reports that we offered Orpik more money than he took to stay in Pitt.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2008, 09:42 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
Jeezus, Ryan's not even in the organization anymore. And, no, Dupont and Pyatt are CLEARLY not ready...bad job by the Rangers...everyone knows that every prospect needs only one year in the AHL, or he's no good. As for Byers and Moore, who's to say they don't force the Rangers to move Betts or Rissmiller. Hutchinson got sent to the AHL last year.

And, again, why does every journalist associated with this team not TRULY grasp what took place in 2004 and what's gone on since then. The Jagr years were the bridge out of the darkness. The Rangers caught lightning in a bottle in 2005-6. And, tried to capitalize on that core while they had the chance. The difference now is that this team is NOT built around Naslund. He's just a player who can provide production while fitting a role on this team...NOT having the whole offense bent to his whim...and not at a cost of $7 million or so, for 3 more years, which Jagr has stated that he wanted and KNEW the Rangers were in no position to give him.

As for Kalinin...the Rangers JUST went out and got a 23-year-old player with the talent to become a major star. It's clear that Zherdev has needed veteran Russians around him to feel more part of the team. $2.1 million in order to get the best out of the most talented offensive player you have is a smart investment, IMO.

And, as usual, everyone seems to think that the opening night roster is the one that becomes set in stone for the season. If anything, wouldn't writers and fans alike realize that roster eveolve over the course of the season, (especially after watching this team the past three years)? Just an awful job by Brooks.
Excellent post. Boy, everyone else has already posted exactly what I wanted to say. Guess I can go back to bed.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2008, 09:54 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

What is Brooks complaining about? Seriously what did he expect Sather to do?

On Jagr, Sather did what he had to do. I love Jagr to death but Jagr wasnt being responsive to Sather, he wasnt really trying to make it work. I guess that money from Omsk seemed just too enticing. Its not like Sather played hardball with him. Sather was thinking about the future and he just didnt want to give Jagr anything longer than one year especially considering his stats dropped this year. I'm sure Sather figured with a one year deal if Jagr put out a great season then he could just re-sign after again which is the way to go. Jagr had other plans.

So this brings us to Naslund. I think this is a great move by Sather. You needed to replace Jagr with another proven veteran and Naslund was the guy. I like this move alot, you bring in a LW who wont be afraid to shoot the puck which will help change this PP into a more aggressive one. He's got something to play for being that he hasnt won a stanley cup and what better place to get back on track than in new york with tom renney. I'm sorry but I love the Naslund signing, its only 2 years AKA its a SAFE move.

With the exception of last year, Redden has been one of the top scoring defensemen in the league, year in and year out. One bad season and he's a risky signing all the sudden? PLEASE. C'mon get a grip. I love this signing too. They needed a PP QB badly because Roszival wasnt cutting the cake for us. The guy needed to get out of Ottawa, he needed a change of scenary. I think he'll be rejuvenated here, he sounded very optimistic about that in the Press Conference when they signed him. He's going to make our 6 one of the best in the league this year.

Lastly, the Zherdev trade. The one thing that stands out to me most about this is that he is a true sniper, true scorer, a true talent. Just the fact that he is gona make fans rise out of their seats this season like Bure used to do, makes this trade look like one of the best in Sather's career. He brought in such a dynamic player to the Big Apple. Zherdev is gona put fans in awe with some of the things he can do with the puck. He will also make the PP better because is definitely not afraid to shoot the puck. I've wanted this guy for a long time and now he's a Ranger, he's going to put fans in the seats.

The only thing I didnt like with Sather is that he signed Voros and Rissimiller. Just one of the two would have been fine. Because now you got those two plus Sjostrom, Callahan, Betts, Orr, Korpikoski, Byers, Anisimov, Dubinsky, etc all fighting for spots and then when whoever wins the spots, what do you do with the extras. Now of course you can send down Byers and AA. But you're still gona have guys left over, at least 2 guys. There's no point in having that salary space taken up by whoever the 2 extras are gona be because if Someone gets hurt than you can bring up Byers or AA. Or you could keep one of those two extras.

Anyways when it's all said and done, I think whether its now or at the trade deadline, sather will add another scoring forward.

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2008, 10:35 AM
DevFan-RU-

Send a message via AIM to DevFan-RU-
Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvmarberrys View Post
This article has officially pushed me over the limit with Larry Brooks. He is so annoying. No matter what happens with the team he always has something negative to say
Well, you are the fan of a New York sports team...

DevFan-RU- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2008, 10:36 AM
squishy

I guess I'm in the minority, because once again I found myself forced to agree with most of the points in Brooks' Sunday column. The only thing I really disagreed with was his comments on Shanny, but he makes a good point in saying Shanny deserved the respect of being told he's not in the plans, not strung along as he has been. And he's dead on with his point about the kids, though he picked the wrong names out of the hat to use as examples. Brent Cyrgalis said it better:

Quote:
The last two years it has seemed the Rangers have tried to make a move towards youth and building the team of the future. And this off-season was ripe for them to elevate those draft picks and young guns to the Big Leagues. Get them out of Hartford and let them start putting NHL experience under their belts. Not the two-to-five games that Dane Byers or Greg Moore have gotten. But a chance to come into camp with a legitimate chance to win a spot on the third or fourth line.

So big names and big salaries leave, and how do the Blueshirts replace them? With aging veterans, unproven talent from someone else’s farm system, and uninspiring “what’s-his-name-again?” characters – all of whom were overpaid.
http://blogs.nypost.com/sports/range..._troubles.html

I've watched the kids in Hartford, I know what we have there, and no one will convince me that we don't have home-grown talent that can fill the roles that Sjostrom, Rissmiller, Vorros, and Fritsche will fill this season. It's four years on from the fire sale, it should be time for the picks we reaped from the sell-off to step into more prominent rolls. So either the picks we made in 2004 sucked or resources have been poorly managed. Either way it's on Slat's, IMHO. I say its the latter. There is an absolute log jam of forwards in Hartford now, many of whom could play in the NHL right now, and if the plan was to just bring in 3rd and 4th liners from the outside anyway, they should have been or should be moved for whatever we can get for them before they are lost for nothing. They deserve an opportunity, and as of right now they're not going to get it with the Rangers this season.

squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2008, 11:27 AM
FromDubiToZherdev*

Send a message via AIM to FromDubiToZherdev* Send a message via MSN to FromDubiToZherdev*
I'd rather read Fischler's fantasy stories over this piece of crap.

FromDubiToZherdev* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2008, 11:35 AM
Pizza

You can get pissed off at this stuff until you consider the source.

The steps that Brooks suggested to keep Jagr were ridiculous. Larry is upset that Sather won't sit down with him and give him an exclusive.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2008, 12:33 PM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

I hate Brooks with a passion. It's always negative, even if he has to contradict himself, it will always be a negative article with Brooks.

silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2008, 12:37 PM
Turambar

I can't help but laugh at the man-love Brooks has for Avery. It's quite embarrassing, really.

Turambar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2008, 12:40 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers3018 View Post
I hate Brooks with a passion. It's always negative, even if he has to contradict himself, it will always be a negative article with Brooks.
Yea the guy is a severe moron

I mean seriously, god forbid the Rangers focus in making their D one of the most solid top 6 in the league........I see nothing wrong with Kalinen and Mara getting 4 million ESPECIALLY since they are BOTH FA next yr and the logical move from their is to have Sanguinetti step in and maybe even another young D man........Goaltending is obviously one of the best in the league

I don't think Ranger fans will complain when regardless of what the pairings are the D will hold the fort..........yea they are not big time tough but they are all Big guys at around 6"2 and over 200llbs

Also upfront I don't think their is anything wrong having depth.............How about we see what Rissmiller, Fritsche,Voros bring before complaining about those moves

PLUS it gives them chips to trade if they like

If Shanny comes back it means moving Prucha and I am one of the Ranger fans that wants to see a 25 yr old player who has shown Goal scoring skills a chance...........

Anyways Brooks blows

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2008, 01:33 PM
BwayBshirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy View Post
I guess I'm in the minority, because once again I found myself forced to agree with most of the points in Brooks' Sunday column. The only thing I really disagreed with was his comments on Shanny, but he makes a good point in saying Shanny deserved the respect of being told he's not in the plans, not strung along as he has been. And he's dead on with his point about the kids, though he picked the wrong names out of the hat to use as examples. Brent Cyrgalis said it better:

http://blogs.nypost.com/sports/range..._troubles.html

ok, last week i sucked in trying to criticize brooks' column so this week i'll give it another go.

i don't the rangers are stringing shanahan along. and i say that because i really believe they haven't totally dismissed him. if their plan for the rest of the offseason (which i do believe they have one) falls into place then they don't need him. but if something doesn't turn out the way they want then sather will extend a hand.

and shannys' agent i believe was quoted as saying right now his clients' top choice is the rangers. so shanny is on stand-by. and if he knows he's waiting in the wings then that's not being strung along IMO.

BwayBshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2008, 02:22 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Just be grateful Sather is the GM and not Larry.

Brooks has to write about something in July I suppose, but training camp is still far off, let alone the first 10-20 games of the season when we'll see if Uncle Glens ideas begin to gel into something.

I think Sather saw that Avery was a better fit in the 3rd line. He also has to note that Seans style of play has been catching up with his body. Tough call because he was a fan fave, but Sathers deal was fair. Seans the one who "potentially" blew it. Wish him luck out west.

Sathers #1 was to get Jagr but JJ insisting on a 3 year deal is a dealbreaker. I guess that could be debated considering its Jagr. But he had the balls to make his call. Move on.

The NEW NEW YORK RANGERS in 08-09

Personally I'm excited. The Nazgul, Zehrdev, Redden, Fritsche, Voros, Rissmiller hopefully Korpeedo, Sanguinetti. I like it all. Not sure where everyone fits but hey....plenty of time for that to be worked out.

07-20-2008, 02:24 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

I also dont think Shannys being "strung along". Sather and Shanny have talked.

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2008, 02:36 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
So you think if Byers or Moore have a better camp then Rissmiller or Betts that the veterans will be waived? I'm not hear to defend the Rissmiller signing but NO WAY do the Rangers put that much stock into what happens in camp...NO WAY..

Hutchinson was also on a deeper team...AND...he wasn't signed to a $1M contract...totally diffrent scenarios you are attempting to compare....

The Rangers had ZERO need for Voros or Rissmiller....they money would be better used to bring back one of the former rangers that helped this team but that would be stupid...why would we want guys that actually performed well here when we can bring in career underachievers like Voros and Rissmiller? Forget the youth that could easily step into the bottom two lines....forget the development that guys have made in the AHL when we can sign somebody elses garbage....GREAT PLAN!

Quote:
Jagr was the bridge out of the darkness but his loss might become the reason the team returns to darkness. The team isn't built around Naslund but that doesn't make his contract a good deal for the team. A NMC for a 34 year old on the downside of his career....makes ZERO sense. If this team is being built for the future then why sign a veteran to that sort of deal? If the team bombs this year wouldn't it make sense to move Naslund at the deadling? If Naslund himself bombs this year or next the Rangers can do nothing about it...That's a shame...There is no logical defense for giving Naslund that contract..NONE...

The offense bent to Jagrs whim? really? when? Do you really think Jagr wanted to play the system Renney had the past 3 seasons? Are you really trying to say that was Jagrs idea?

If Jagr knew he wasn't wanted then why did he stick around New York to meet with Sather...AND...get no response? For all this talk about how the Rangers are leaving old man Shanny out in the cold they did the same to the guy that built the bridge out the darkness...If the plan wasn't to bring Jagr back your telling me THIS was the backup plan? Come on...They admited themselves that Zherdev fell into there laps...If that trade wasn't made who knows what our roster would look like today...For all this talk about how Jagr wanted the team to be (ya know the wide-open style that Renney embraces now that he doesn't have the tools to play it) NOT ONE beat writer nor anybody that covers the team has given your therory any credence. Jagr did what was best for the team for THREE years...without a sign of discontent...without a sign that he was unhappy....Was it time to move on from Jagr? the answer can only be yes if the team had a backup plan..not a mishmash roster filled with If's and Maybes...Balanced scoring attacks only work if you have the people that can actually score...who do we have? who is our 2nd line RW? This team is in-complete and very few care to recognize that...we are all so hung up on what might be...when in reality this roster looks well...overmatched at best....If ONE defenseman goes down we are going to have Fahey on the backline...TWO...say hello to Denisov...

We basically need everything to break right for the team to make any sort of noise this season....with no salary cap room for improvments...

Quote:
so because Kalinin and Zherdev speak the same language is part of the reason Kalinin was signed? great so the guy Lindy Ruff had in the dog house half the time for his effort can mentor the guy that hitchcock had in the dog house for HIS effort...GREAT..can't wait to see how that works out...but that's not the reason Kalinin was signed...not even close...that's a huge reach to suggest this point...

Quote:
And, as usual, everyone seems to think that the opening night roster is the one that becomes set in stone for the season. If anything, wouldn't writers and fans alike realize that rosters evolve over the course of the season, (especially after watching this team the past three years)? Just an awful job by Brooks.
No the roster isn't set in stone (although the team made ONE outside the organization move during the year last year) but what salary cap space do you see for the team to make improvments? For a team that's making moves for the "future" (a future that NEVER comes for this organization or did I miss the cups over the years) they are up against the cap...smart planning by Sather/Renney....very smart planning indeed....Lets rebuild while going for a playoff spot...Because that way of thinking has a history of working for this team...

Brooks is an idiot...he has been since he suggested MSG network doctored the video of John Maclean slashing Niklas Sundstrom in the 97 playoffs but he didn't say one thing wrong today...

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2008, 02:52 PM
AverysGlasses

Send a message via Yahoo to AverysGlasses
Here's to hoping Larry Brooks eats his own words by the All Star Break

AverysGlasses is offline   Reply With Quote