HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Poll to end all polls

View Poll Results: Do you like Guillaume Latendresse?
Yes 222 74.25%
No 77 25.75%
Voters: 299. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-20-2008, 11:35 AM
Beakermania*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Chezz View Post
you better....otherwise Beaker will get angry...and you wouldnt like him when hes angry
Nah... no from me....

I don't mind if Lats comes and plays with us... but he has to bring his hot g/f too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krautso View Post
I may have misunderstood the poll. Do I like his play on MTL so far and do I think he should be there? NO

Do I like the potential of a 21 year old 230lbs winger that has shown great offensive flair as a junior? YES.

No point in giving up on him but his lack of 2 way play, the fact he does not transition well (skating) on a transition team and fails to use his big body to his full advantage leads me to believe he should be in the hammer getting 20 mins a night to improve. MTL is too deep and too close to challenging to save a spot for a project in the line up every night.
Problem... he can't go to Hamilton... He's played 161 games, after 160 he can't be sent down without first clearing waivers. He has 8 playoff games and 153 regular season ones... the CBA defines NHL GAMES as playoffs + regular season.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2008, 11:39 AM
Tuggy

vCash: 50
I have nothing against the guy personally but if I had to be totally honest...it bothers me a little bit that he is taking up a roster spot and there is nothing we can do about it. Sure he *might* improve but players like him take a long time to develop and he could easily end up a bust. I believe we have better options in Hamilton who would fit better with our style and be able to keep up but they won't get a chance because Gui isn't going anywhere.

All that being said, I will still hope he reaches his potential because he most certainly can. I just wish he would improve his skating because it is below average.

Tuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2008, 11:43 AM
Haddock

Of course I like him. I've said it before and I'll say it again, he's a great young player to have in your organization. The fact that he was hyped by certain people shouldn't be a detterent to appreciate what he his (a young player still improving who will probably end up on a second line somewhere scoring thirty goals and using his body better). That would be like me not liking Saku Koivu (or any other payer actually) merely because of his numerous fanboys. How dumb is that?

Haddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2008, 11:43 AM
Brisk-Illusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
I don't think thats true about him being treated special because of his background... the problem was more the rules than anything else....

At 19 he had nothing left to prove in the QMJHL, but could not go to the AHL.... so it was a choice between the Q or the NHL.... Habs brass felt that in the Q he was so physically dominant that it could lead to him becoming lazy, and there were signs of this (Sutter didn't like his work ethic at the WJC) so they decided the NHL and higher competition was the way to go. It would've been nice if he could have gone to Hamilton.

Regardless I still think he is progressing nicely...
21 years old... Power forwards take long to develop historically
32 career NHL goals already under his belt...
improved a lot defensively in his second year... -20 (06-07) vs -2 (07-08)
07 summer commitment to lose weight
08 summer commitment to power skating lessons

He seems to understand where his weaknesses lie, and is working to improve... I think at 21, to give up on him now would be a complete waste and a big mistake.
1-No, the problem was the media attention he was getting, when an 18 year old second round pick makes the cover of major newspapers during training camp, there's something else going on besides hockey

2-He had a lot more to prove than SK,when he got sent down to London at the same age.

3-Lats is not a power forward, he is, and always has been a finesse player, the power forward take longer to develop excuse doesn't work here

4-Age is much less relevant than the number of years he's been in the league. (and if it is, it means that he was brought up too soon, which proves my point anyways)

Brisk-Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2008, 11:48 AM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisk-Illusion View Post
1-No, the problem was the media attention he was getting, when an 18 year old second round pick makes the cover of major newspapers during training camp, there's something else going on besides hockey

2-He had a lot more to prove than SK,when he got sent down to London at the same age.

3-Lats is not a power forward, he is, and always has been a finesse player, the power forward take longer to develop excuse doesn't work

4-Age is much less relevant than the number of years he's been in the league. (and if it is, it means that he was brought up too soon, which proves my point anyways)
1) the Habs don't control this....

2) SK did not dominate 2 training camps the way Latendresse did....

3) Lats is a power forward... at his size and with his hands in close, thats what he is..... Was John Leclair not a power forward too?? How long did he take?? He may nto be a cam neely, or jarome iginla... but he's a big, strong, guy who can go to the net, has soft hands and can score goals... thats a power forward

4) Age is very relevant; if you can't see that being 21 has a huge impact on where he is right now, and you are ready to give up on him.... Well then you can be the next Mike Milbury, giving up on guys like Olli Jokinen, Todd Bertuzzi, and Roberto Luongo cause they werent producing in Long Island in their very early 20s.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2008, 11:52 AM
Bobby G

Me likes him.
Still can't vote though.

Bobby G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2008, 11:56 AM
Brisk-Illusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
1) the Habs don't control this....
True, but you can't deny there weren't influenced by it.

Quote:
2) SK did not dominate 2 training camps the way Latendresse did....
SK didn't even get to play one game pre-season game until last season.

SK's junior stats are vastly superior to Lats' stats.

Quote:
3) Lats is a power forward... at his size and with his hands in close, thats what he is..... Was John Leclair not a power forward too?? How long did he take?? He may nto be a cam neely, or jarome iginla... but he's a big, strong, guy who can go to the net, has soft hands and can score goals... thats a power forward
He's not. I'm not sure why you keep saying he is, just because he's big doesn't mean he plays the game a certain way. He's a finesse scorer, and that's fine with me.

Quote:
4) Age is very relevant; if you can't see that being 21 has a huge impact on where he is right now, and you are ready to give up on him.... Well then you can be the next Mike Milbury, giving up on guys like Olli Jokinen, Todd Bertuzzi, and Roberto Luongo cause they werent producing in Long Island in their very early 20s.
If age is relevant, then it proves my point that he was brought up too soon.

Brisk-Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2008, 12:04 PM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Chezz View Post
The only qualm I have about Lats is that he doesnt use his size effectively on a consistant basis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Drama View Post
I like him, once he uses his size and drives the net more I'll like him even more.
Exactly what i think too. I'd love to see him level a guy or two per game. He has a lot of talent but he's not nasty enough.

Ice Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2008, 12:05 PM
HamrlikTheStud*

Come on... you're all really acting like a bunch of geeks. You've got nothing else to do than focusing on this guy?

HamrlikTheStud* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2008, 12:06 PM
Haddock

Bob Gainey is not influenced by the Montréal media to the extent that some of you like to think. And come out and say it if you think Latenderesse is on the team because he's a francophone. Stop playing around it and just say it. We will think less of you, but at least you'll be honest.

Old
07-20-2008, 01:21 PM
mikeg

You can't blame him for the way the organization has plotted his devellopment.

They rushed him and refused, god knows why... to send him down to Hamilton when he clearly needed to be down there.

Gainey and Carbo are to blame for his stunted devellopment, not Gui. He doesn't bother me, it's not his fault he skates like a log. He's shown that he can put the puck in the net, and he's dropped the gloves occaisionally.. for someone that young to show that sort of "enthusiasm" is a good thing, no matter if it's a bad descision (that's what coaching is for).

Who knows... maybe in a couple of years the crap he's had to endure will be a good thing.

mikeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2008, 02:33 PM
Uwey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustafa View Post
He's slowwwwww, he's slowwwwwwwwww, men you can't understand howww he's freaking slowwwwwwwwww, slow slow slow slow slow slow slow.

Wasn't that the knock on Luc Robitaille as well???

Uwey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2008, 02:43 PM
Pascal

I like his potential but I hate that he's such a teddy bear.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2008, 02:48 PM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
I like his potential but I hate that he's such a teddy bear.
In my Lacrosse team, there was a guy actually named Ted Hebert, no jokes. Dont look too long for what his nickname was...

Ice Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2008, 02:53 PM
Garo

Not really my type of player, so no.

I hope he gets better, but I don't see the power foward in him at all.

Garo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2008, 03:23 PM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krautso View Post
I may have misunderstood the poll. Do I like his play on MTL so far and do I think he should be there? NO

Do I like the potential of a 21 year old 230lbs winger that has shown great offensive flair as a junior? YES.

No point in giving up on him but his lack of 2 way play, the fact he does not transition well (skating) on a transition team and fails to use his big body to his full advantage leads me to believe he should be in the hammer getting 20 mins a night to improve. MTL is too deep and too close to challenging to save a spot for a project in the line up every night.
You might as well wish for the sky to be green.

Latendresse cannot be sent to Hamilton without clearing waivers first, and there is absolutely no way he will clear waivers . He will be snapped up ON THE WAY DOWN, at full salary. He won't even have to wait to be snatched on recall waivers.

So if you agree that the team shouldn't give up on him, there is no choice but for him to continue his development in the NHL.

It's a formula that has worked before, by the way. I'm pretty sure there have been some NHL players who performed better at age 24, 26 or 29 than they did at age 19 or 20. If you need me to try to submit a few names, just let me know and I'll do some research.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamrlikTheStud View Post
Come on... you're all really acting like a bunch of geeks. You've got nothing else to do than focusing on this guy?
The poll results are 90-20 so far, but the vocal minority will continue to hijack thread after thread to whine about Latendresse's weaknesses.

Last edited by Beakermania*: 07-20-2008 at 07:05 PM.
BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2008, 03:33 PM
DieHardHabs

nope, dislike him... he just doesnt fit in with montreals system.. he is so different from any player we have... and yes his lack of speed kills me.. in around the net .. his moves r to slow everything.. if he wants to stick around he better start using his body more... french or not.. his spot will be taken

DieHardHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2008, 03:36 PM
ToysInTheAttic

I voted yes because he didn't hurt the team defensively last year despite a lackluster offensive output that might not have been entirely his fault. I expect that he will improve offensively this coming season. Certainly not ready to give up on him this early in his carreer.

ToysInTheAttic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2008, 04:02 PM
Krautso

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post
You might as well wish for the sky to be green.

Latendresse cannot be sent to Hamilton without clearing waivers first, and there is absolutely no way he will clear waivers . He will be snapped up ON THE WAY DOWN, at full salary. He won't even have to wait to be snatched on recall waivers.

So if you agree that the team shouldn't give up on him, there is no choice but for him to continue his development in the NHL.

It's a formula that has worked before, by the way. I'm pretty sure there have been some NHL players who performed better at age 24, 26 or 29 than they did at age 19 or 20. If you need me to try to submit a few names, just let me know and I'll do some research.
So beaker pointed out to me. In that case here's hoping he responds better to coaching this year and his off-season preparation pays off. I wouldn't want to give up on him but he's just not good enough to get the minutes he needs to improve at this level.

For the record, I'm no Lats-hater either. I just think that if the habs are going to contend, they need their best squad out there and Lats hasn't proved that his name belongs in that group. I hope he proves me wrong this year.

Krautso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2008, 04:34 PM
shutehinside

No heart.

If he stopped playing scared he could be a monster. I don't care how slow he is, you don't have to be fast to dive to the net and knock down bodies. He played with fire when he made the team and sne then has only sown glimes of what he can do. Until he can do those two things consistently he will remain a waste of a spot imo.

shutehinside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2008, 04:36 PM
Haddock

According to some of you, Latendresse is a twenty-one years old has-been or even worse, a never-was.

Only on HF.

Old
07-20-2008, 04:43 PM
Claimed Off Waivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHabsGo247 View Post
I'm just going to come right out and say it.

I think he is completely useless and a waste of a roster spot on our team.

And, it's just the way I feel.
I feel the same

Claimed Off Waivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2008, 04:52 PM
Krautso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haddock View Post
According to some of you, Latendresse is a twenty-one years old has-been or even worse, a never-was.

Only on HF.
You don't hand out roster spots on potential alone. Every other player in the league has to earn their ice time. With lats being gods gift to hockey he should do that no problem this year, right?

He looked like a man amongst boys in Junior when he was twice everyone's size and could lug the puck to the net without being knocked off it. Since he can't do that in the NHL he looks like he just lacks the basic skills of an everyday player. Maybe he got by on talent and size alone in junior and the coaches failed him by not teaching the basics? Either way, he needs to improve ASAP.

Krautso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2008, 04:56 PM
Poochie_D

I love Guillaume but he isn't very useful as of now.

Poochie_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2008, 04:56 PM
Garo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post
The poll results are 90-20 so far, but the vocal minority will continue to hijack thread after thread to whine about Latendresse's weaknesses.
Many of the posters who voted no haven't done that.

Try again.

Garo is offline   Reply With Quote