HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

"Slapshot" Star Paul Newman Battling Cancer!

Closed Thread

Old
07-20-2008, 03:48 PM
Beezer
I'm Da Better Goalie

vCash: 500
"Slapshot" Star Paul Newman Battling Cancer!

Star of one of the best hockey movies ever made is battling Lung cancer and is not doing to good.

Quote:
If you have not reached out to Paul Newman with well wishes, now might be a good time to do so. Autoracing1.com

Quote:
Film legend Paul Newman is suffering from lung cancer, according to U.S. magazine reports.

Two U.S. publications quote friends of the actor saying the former chain-smoker (looks like those cancer sticks, err....cigarettes got him too!) has been diagnosed with lung cancer at the New York’s Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, a few hours drive from his Connecticut home, where he lives his wife Joanne Woodward, a friend of the actor told the National Enquirer: 'We have known he is seriously ill for several weeks but his loved ones are being very protective and saying very little.'

Newman has denied previous cancer reports in March after he missed a fundraising event for his Hole in The Wall Gang children's charity.

The same month, he cancelled an appearance on U.S. talk show The Late Show With David Letterman.

His spokesperson played down his hospitalization, insisting Newman was 'being treated for athlete’s foot and hair loss'.

A cancer patient was quoted in the New York Post newspaper in March that he had seen Newman at the oncologists regularly.

He said: 'He's been there a lot, he's even worked out in the waiting room, doing the squat thrusts. Last time, he was in there he had a long beard. (His wife) Joanne Woodward is there waiting for him and being very sweet with the assistants.'

Newman retired from acting last year, blaming his failing memory. DailyMail.co.uk

Old
07-20-2008, 05:04 PM
Mogo
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

vCash: 813
I thought he's been battling it for a long time

Old
07-20-2008, 05:39 PM
Beezer
I'm Da Better Goalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogo View Post
I thought he's been battling it for a long time
He has but is begining to lose his battle & doesn't have much time left! I guess I should have put losing his battle with cancer in the title. It won't let me change it.

Old
07-20-2008, 06:11 PM
FlaPanthers7

I love his products and the work he does for charities. It's going to be sad to lose one of the greatest actors & an ever greater human being. My best wishes that he can fight through this so he can keep doing the world the good that he does.

Old
07-20-2008, 08:16 PM
Beezer
I'm Da Better Goalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaPanthers7 View Post
I love his products and the work he does for charities. It's going to be sad to lose one of the greatest actors & an ever greater human being. My best wishes that he can fight through this so he can keep doing the world the good that he does.
I read somewhere that he has recently donated his Newman's Own company to the Whole In The Wall charity. That is just one of the great things he has done in his life. He has helped so many people in so many different ways. I am going to miss him too. He has also done alot for motorsports with his Newman/Haas IRL team which I am a big fan of. He has always been a hands on team owner and is always there on race weekends accept recently because of his battle with cancer. I will always remember him for his good heart and will to help others in need.

Old
07-21-2008, 08:33 AM
Acadmus

I heard this story a month ago and I'm afraid it's still categorized as "rumor", so I'm shutting down the thread.

Besides, it's off-topic. This sort of thing goes in the Entertainment forum.