HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jessiman Offered QO, Jessiman Accepts (Post #71)

Old
07-20-2008, 01:52 PM
shoothepuck

vCash: 500
What more motivation does this guy need to start palying better hockey?

shoothepuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2008, 02:51 PM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
Pummel Voros and Rissmiller in training camp, and score some garbage goals by playing in traffic.

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2008, 02:53 PM
Lundqvist=Vezina
Legendary

Send a message via AIM to Lundqvist=Vezina
He's not going be on the team out of camp thats for sure. And I doubt he makes the team at all this year.

Lundqvist=Vezina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2008, 02:54 PM
AverysGlasses

Send a message via Yahoo to AverysGlasses
....switch to roller hockey or move to England and join the British Elite league

I understand the kid is only 24, but still, the guy couldn't even stick on the Hartford roster before this season. Lee Falardeau anyone?

AverysGlasses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2008, 02:55 PM
Lundqvist=Vezina
Legendary

Send a message via AIM to Lundqvist=Vezina
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Eat Crow View Post
If I were Hugh though, I'd be watching video tape of Daniel Alfredsson and Henrik Zetterberg on how to play a great two-way game.
He can't skate anywhere near Alfredsson or Zetterberg's speed let alone there other skills.

Lundqvist=Vezina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2008, 04:23 PM
RangersFan

Send a message via AIM to RangersFan Send a message via MSN to RangersFan
I find it amazing that people still have hopes for this guy. That threads still pop up every few weeks about him. Just ignore the fact that he was a first round selection and you wouldn't even think twice about whether or not he has a shot at making it in the NHL. Players his age like Greg Moore have already surpassed him at the pro level yet we don't see him making it. Yet so many still hold out hope for Hugh, only because of his draft status. He is a bust, and a horrible management decision. Time to move on. Just watching him skate in a few preseason and AHL games have made me wonder what the scouts saw in him. I'm no scout, but any average NHL fan can tell whether a player is special or not by watching him play a few games. OK so he's big...who gives a ****, Steve McKenna was big too, and I doubt Hugh ever becomes as good as Steve McKenna...

RangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2008, 04:28 PM
eco's bones

Mikael Samuelsson and Mike Knube are two more examples of big forwards who took a long time to hit their stride. I don't see Hugh as ready either but he seemed to progress quite a bit last year to the point where he was a productive AHL player. The key is whether he continues to progress--if he plateau's at where he's at he's Michael Rupp. If he can make more strides this season he's possibly an NHL player in 09-10.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2008, 05:08 PM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundqvist=Vezina View Post
He can't skate anywhere near Alfredsson or Zetterberg's speed let alone there other skills.
My point is that it would help his all around game, i.e. positioning and finesse. Hugh has a lot of room for improvement in his defensive game.

I Eat Crow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2008, 08:10 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Eat Crow View Post
My point is that it would help his all around game, i.e. positioning and finesse. Hugh has a lot of room for improvement in his defensive game.
The problem is that good players (and you mentioned better than good players in Afredsson and Zetterberg) always seem to know where the puck is--whether they are in control of it or not. And that has proven to be the biggest problem with Jessiman. He works hard, he's well conditioned, but he lacks that ability to know where the puck will be before it's there. Some players lack real physical skill, but become good players because they always seem to be one step ahead, unfortunately for Jessiman, he seems to be one step, or more behind.

Brooklyn Ranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2008, 08:49 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

improve my skating, learn how to punch face and most importantly, just give us a reason, any reason, to feel better about wasting that 1st round pick on you.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2008, 09:05 PM
pmorris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogo View Post
stop sucking.
Amen to that

pmorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2008, 09:07 PM
pmorris

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
improve my skating, learn how to punch face and most importantly, just give us a reason, any reason, to feel better about wasting that 1st round pick on you.
And on that note, I think Hugh should just legally change his name to Dustin Brown. It'll make me sleep better at night.

pmorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2008, 09:16 PM
chosen

When Jessiman is 30 there will still be people telling us to be patient and that Jessiman is getting oh so close to being ready.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2008, 10:27 PM
NYRKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangersFan View Post
I find it amazing that people still have hopes for this guy. That threads still pop up every few weeks about him. Just ignore the fact that he was a first round selection and you wouldn't even think twice about whether or not he has a shot at making it in the NHL. Players his age like Greg Moore have already surpassed him at the pro level yet we don't see him making it. Yet so many still hold out hope for Hugh, only because of his draft status. He is a bust, and a horrible management decision. Time to move on. Just watching him skate in a few preseason and AHL games have made me wonder what the scouts saw in him. I'm no scout, but any average NHL fan can tell whether a player is special or not by watching him play a few games. OK so he's big...who gives a ****, Steve McKenna was big too, and I doubt Hugh ever becomes as good as Steve McKenna...
I feel weird vouching for Hugh, but he did put together a strong AHL season with 40+ pts and some good fights. I mean maybe he just needed some time to develop.

I like steve McKenna, nice guy off the ice

NYRKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2008, 10:44 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrison Ford View Post
Dainius Zubrus could have been a very good PF, but the flyers rushed hm into the league, hindering his development tremendously.
No... he just has no heart.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2008, 10:46 PM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
No... he just has no heart.
No heart?! Are you kidding? He brings it every shift. The guy was the one player that played with any sort of heart when you guys pummeled us in the playoffs. He was a beast for Buffalo too in 06...to say he doesn't have heart is just bloody ignorant.

Also, Belle was traded for Locke now from Minny to Montreal, but when STL first traded him, they sent him to DAL for Bacashihua.

Jaysfanatic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2008, 10:50 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilsfanatic View Post
No heart?! Are you kidding? He brings it every shift. The guy was the one player that played with any sort of heart when you guys pummeled us in the playoffs. He was a beast for Buffalo too in 06...to say he doesn't have heart is just bloody ignorant.
Zubrus? Bringing it every shift? Come on, man. The guy is super skilled. He's strong and has very, very good hands and he's a very smart player. He could be a PPG player if he put the effort into it. I've watched him since he was a kid in this league (hell, I have an autographed card from his junior days).

The guy has never played with heart and it's followed him wherever he went.

Almost every scouting report out there says that he doesn't try hard or give it his all every night and shift. ****, if you don't believe me, go find it yourself.

He is what he is because he doesn't care.

Old
07-20-2008, 10:53 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

****, just for example, the first scouting report I just looked up for him was the Sportsnet.ca one:

Quote:
Flaws
Doesn't give an all-out effort every night. Lacks consistency. Is still a non-factor in too many games. Was rushed to the NHL and that seems to have hurt his offensive upside.

Old
07-20-2008, 11:00 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

Quote:
Zubrus? Bringing it every shift? Come on, man. The guy is super skilled. He's strong and has very, very good hands and he's a very smart player. He could be a PPG player if he put the effort into it. I've watched him since he was a kid in this league (hell, I have an autographed card from his junior days).

The guy has never played with heart and it's followed him wherever he went.

Almost every scouting report out there says that he doesn't try hard or give it his all every night and shift. ****, if you don't believe me, go find it yourself.

He is what he is because he doesn't care.
sorry but i dont know how you can say he plays with no heart. maybe he did when he was younger but everyshift he gave 100% last season and was one of only a few to show up for the playoffs.

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2008, 11:03 PM
PromNite
Armed Android

Send a message via AIM to PromNite
I think Hugh is done guys. No, I don't think it's too early to say that. It seems he was pressured to take boxing lessons to play Mitch Fritz type role, where he could be an enforcer... and he seems to have failed at that.

I anticipate that he will sustain another injury this year and eventually be forgotten in the history of 1st round busts. Except to Devils fans, who will bring it up in every thread about draft picks.

I really hope I'm wrong.

Adam Tensta's from the 163
PromNite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2008, 11:03 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnar Stahl 30 View Post
sorry but i dont know how you can say he plays with no heart. maybe he did when he was younger but everyshift he gave 100% last season and was one of only a few to show up for the playoffs.
The man scored 30 ****ing some-odd points. He should be getting at least 55-60. At the bare minimum. When you score half the amount of points you have the skills, hands and smarts for.. then something is wrong. It's clearly his heart. It's been that way since day one.

Again, just check the scouting reports out on the guy. It's always been his heart. I actually used to LOVE the dude. I just hate heartless players. Once he got his first decent contract, he just seemed like he gave up. He has the potential to be one of the best 2nd line players in the entire league.

With you guys, he looked like a mediocre 3rd liner all year.

Old
07-20-2008, 11:05 PM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
****, just for example, the first scouting report I just looked up for him was the Sportsnet.ca one:
That scouting report is garbage. So he doesn't score goals, or gets points? Neither does John Madden, but no one will ever question his heart. I see Zubrus on every shift and heart to me is when a player is trying to do what he can and I never see Zube slack.

Jaysfanatic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2008, 11:05 PM
PromNite
Armed Android

Send a message via AIM to PromNite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnar Stahl 30 View Post
I think you're memory of the playoffs is clouding your judegement. He was a beast for the Devils in the playoffs, but most of the season he was mediocre.

And before anyone asks, yes, I did watch the games. I watch a lot of Devils games because I hate them so.

Edit: I guess Jon already said most of what I was gonna say. Playoffs = good, regular season = not so good.

PromNite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2008, 11:07 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilsfanatic View Post
That scouting report is garbage. So he doesn't score goals, or gets points? Neither does John Madden, but no one will ever question his heart. I see Zubrus on every shift and heart to me is when a player is trying to do what he can and I never see Zube slack.
I've seen Zubrus play a ****ing ton as well. Come on, man. Usually you're not a homer. I can't believe you're defending that overpaid waste of talent and skill like this.

He's not Viktor Kozlov level, but he's certainly close.

Old
07-20-2008, 11:12 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Hugh Jessiman reminds me a lot of John Leclair. Maybe he just needs a change of scenery to see what he can do. The guy has skills that can't be denied. He's a great skater for a man his size, he's also got a good shot and he's got size that can't be taught.

Leclair's game didn't take off until he was 25. That kind of seems to be a trend with bigger forwards. Anyways, Jessiman's game is very similar to that of Leclair's and before anyone thinks that Leclair was a bruising winger, he wasn't. He was a skilled winger with size. He definitely wasn't a bruiser.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote