HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

No Goalies at Pick-Up Hockey.......

Old
07-19-2008, 12:51 AM
hipcheck

vCash: 500
No Goalies at Pick-Up Hockey.......

What do you guys do when no Goalies show up for pick-up hockey? Do you play post & crossbar? Do you turn the nets down? Does your rink provide one of those Goalie (5 hole) cover things (no idea what they are called)?

Just curious?

We usually play post & crossbar, but obviously it dampens the whole experience.

THANKS!

hipcheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 01:01 AM
OilerNut*

We usually play post/crossbar and switch ends every 30 minutes/5 goals or something.

OilerNut* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 01:07 AM
SpokaneChiefs

Posts... But it really sucks no matter what you do.

SpokaneChiefs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 01:12 AM
OilerNut*

Should just do like half court basketball, use the centre line as the tag up line. I'm sure the lone goalie would love that.

It sucks more in a league game. Had to play a game tonight with one of our players in the net.

OilerNut* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 05:10 AM
Loose Sens
Drafting my Overalls

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerNut View Post
Should just do like half court basketball, use the centre line as the tag up line. I'm sure the lone goalie would love that.

It sucks more in a league game. Had to play a game tonight with one of our players in the net.
I've played a league game like that a few years ago. We lost by one goal but we literally had defensemen taking turns standing in our net trying to stop the puck. (We would go up to center and even sometimes into the other teams blueline but they had to be first back.)

It was pretty ridiculous and I almost hurt a hand because some player hit me with his stick while I was trying to stop the puck.

I was amazed we only lost 4-3 or 5-4.

Loose Sens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 08:43 AM
HunterSThompson

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipcheck View Post
5 hole) cover things (no idea what they are called)?
they are called shooter tutors

HunterSThompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 08:50 AM
xeric716x
Born To Expire

posts.

i enjoyed it most of the time, because some of the people i play pick up with think that because there is a goalie there they dont have to pass and always try and go end to end.

xeric716x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 02:44 PM
The Lollipop King
4th Line = all heart

It sucks not having goalies, it really takes away from the game, because you can try to deak out the goalie.

The Lollipop King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 03:07 PM
Ti-girl

Send a message via AIM to Ti-girl Send a message via Yahoo to Ti-girl
We always threw Phil and Mike the shooter Tutors in.

Yes, we named them.

07-19-2008, 03:19 PM
Trebek
Mod Supervisor

As a goalie, I never have this problem entirely, although it's very frustrating to show up and not have a goalie in the other net. People don't usually believe us when we say this, but it's just as frustrating for us as it is for skaters, because the skaters don't play as hard when there aren't two - they usually wait until it's their turn to shoot on the goalie, and they'll coast when they're attacking the shooter tutor.

Here in Colorado, at least, the goalies will show up to the drop-in times where the skaters have a reputation for working hard and actually playing hockey. I'm not sure that a lot of skaters realize this, but the goalies talk a lot about which drop-ins are "good" and which ones are "bad" for goalies. And the ones that have a bad reputation usually have to settle for what they can get in net.

Just to share another perspective and toss some peppers into the gumbo.

Trebek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 04:59 PM
Devil Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor No View Post
Here in Colorado, at least, the goalies will show up to the drop-in times where the skaters have a reputation for working hard and actually playing hockey. I'm not sure that a lot of skaters realize this, but the goalies talk a lot about which drop-ins are "good" and which ones are "bad" for goalies. And the ones that have a bad reputation usually have to settle for what they can get in net.
Interesting. Two things:

- What do you mean by drop-in times? Is that the same thing as pickup?
- What makes one better than another? Treatment by the players on your team? Aggressiveness of opponents?

I don't know any goalies.

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 06:02 PM
Harv
R.I.P. Pavol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dancer View Post
Interesting. Two things:

- What do you mean by drop-in times? Is that the same thing as pickup?
- What makes one better than another? Treatment by the players on your team? Aggressiveness of opponents?

I don't know any goalies.
Not to speak for Doctor No, but what I (A goalie) look for is playing the game how it's supposed to be played. No cherry-picking. Don't try to bang home rebounds if the puck is laying at my feet. Just back off. You can look for rebounds, but if the puck is under me and you can still see it, don't go and ram your damn stick in there. Also, people who celebrate at pick-up games really piss me off. I've seen guys raise their arms up and go hug a teammate after a goal. Jesus. Also, dudes who stay out there for 5 mins plus while other guys are on the bench. Another thing is the guys who try to load up one team. You know, you'll see like 6 guys who play on a college team and are very good, and they'll be on the same team while the other team will be full of beginning guys. Players who try 'tricks' during the game. They'll try to pick the puck up while on a 2 on 1. Jesus christ. I just stand there and let them shot into an empty night. They usually get the picture.

Also, if your at stick-time, (Not a game, just a bunch of pucks out there shooting on a goalie) and you see the goalie just got on the ice, don't come down and try to deke the goalie out of his shoes. My biggest thing I hate is that I get in the net just trying to get warm and some guy comes down and wants me to stop his 5 move deke. Also, the goalie chooses who he wants to come in on him. He'll usually look at you or point. Wait your turn. I've been to stick times where players will stand and yell ''goalie! goalie! goalie!'' trying to get my attention for them to shoot on me. Damn, wait your turn. I'm not your personal goalie. I'm here to work on my game, not to be your shooter tutor.

Ok, rant done.

Harv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 06:07 PM
Nosebleed Section

You fail at life OP for not knowing the term shooter tutor. I stroke my finger with my other figner in your direction.

Nosebleed Section is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 06:10 PM
Lundqvist=Vezina
Legendary

vCash: 529
Send a message via AIM to Lundqvist=Vezina
We usually go post and in. One time at the rink they set up tires that I guess you were supposed to shoot the puck through which was hard but I did it once.

Lundqvist=Vezina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 07:27 PM
Crosbyfan

Hang a jersey from the crossbar. If the puck goes in without hitting the jersey it is fished out by the defending team and play continues.

Crosbyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 08:08 PM
Analyzer*

vCash: 50
Turn the nets around to face the boards?

Analyzer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 08:12 PM
PeterSidorkiewicz
Original *** allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor No View Post
As a goalie, I never have this problem entirely, although it's very frustrating to show up and not have a goalie in the other net. People don't usually believe us when we say this, but it's just as frustrating for us as it is for skaters, because the skaters don't play as hard when there aren't two - they usually wait until it's their turn to shoot on the goalie, and they'll coast when they're attacking the shooter tutor.

Just to share another perspective and toss some peppers into the gumbo.
As a goalie too, this is pretty true for drop-in. Although all my other friends skate out, we used to talk about this too. It really does suck when skaters dont play any D, none whatsoever. I mean all you really ask for is just a little D, because its drop-in I prefer a lot of shots.

It gets pretty lame when its back and forth odd man rushes cause no one wants to play D, and you dont get good zone setups or anything. I mean I can understand this towards the end when everyone is tired depending on how many people show, but to have it the whole session kinda blows.

PeterSidorkiewicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 08:34 PM
Rickety Cricket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harv View Post
Not to speak for Doctor No, but what I (A goalie) look for is playing the game how it's supposed to be played. No cherry-picking. Don't try to bang home rebounds if the puck is laying at my feet. Just back off. You can look for rebounds, but if the puck is under me and you can still see it, don't go and ram your damn stick in there. Also, people who celebrate at pick-up games really piss me off. I've seen guys raise their arms up and go hug a teammate after a goal. Jesus. Also, dudes who stay out there for 5 mins plus while other guys are on the bench. Another thing is the guys who try to load up one team. You know, you'll see like 6 guys who play on a college team and are very good, and they'll be on the same team while the other team will be full of beginning guys. Players who try 'tricks' during the game. They'll try to pick the puck up while on a 2 on 1. Jesus christ. I just stand there and let them shot into an empty night. They usually get the picture.

Also, if your at stick-time, (Not a game, just a bunch of pucks out there shooting on a goalie) and you see the goalie just got on the ice, don't come down and try to deke the goalie out of his shoes. My biggest thing I hate is that I get in the net just trying to get warm and some guy comes down and wants me to stop his 5 move deke. Also, the goalie chooses who he wants to come in on him. He'll usually look at you or point. Wait your turn. I've been to stick times where players will stand and yell ''goalie! goalie! goalie!'' trying to get my attention for them to shoot on me. Damn, wait your turn. I'm not your personal goalie. I'm here to work on my game, not to be your shooter tutor.

Ok, rant done.
Dude...I could not have said it better .

I played in a private skate pickup at my old work. Towards the end someone centered the puck right to the top of the crease and a guy banged it in, and he went crazy. He started screaming and celebrating. I remembered this and everytime I made a save on him after that I would start screaming and celebrating.

The worst that happened to me was when I was clearing pucks out from the back of the net during warm ups, a guy wasn't looking and nailed me in the back. Yea, wasn't too happy about that.

Rickety Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2008, 02:50 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2008, 07:15 PM
MG91

Posts and crossbars, but it's just not the same.

MG91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2008, 07:50 PM
Raoul Duke*

- Turn the nets around to face the boards, and the shot has to go in off the boards banking it in. Surprised nobody mentioned this before, it was common place growing up while goalies were being worked on by the coaches and we were at the other end. Also gives you a feel of how to use the boards to your advantage.

- To score you have to be skating backwards and shoot backhanded. I don't think it's common but a friend and I do it whenever we play our friends (they can skate forwards to score) because we played at a far higher level than any of them.

Raoul Duke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2008, 11:42 PM
BlackAces
Play Your Game

Well when I play a 3 on 3 game or scrimmage at practice it's post or crossbars and in or the pegs hanging from the net.

BlackAces is offline   Reply With Quote