HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Next year's standings in the West

Old
07-08-2007, 04:40 AM
rypper

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan Darsh View Post
Their defense is still amazingly solid even if Nieds retires. Pronger, Schenider, Beauchemin, OD, Hnightmare, Huskins and Kondratiev. That's probably still easily the best in the division. As for the forward group, if Teemu goes, that's a massive blow, but that's still a great unit as well.

Even if both retire, the Ducks could just as easily win the conference.
While your D looks good on paper, i don't think its easily the best in the division. Dallas has a suffocating defense that I would rank up near the top.

rypper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2007, 05:01 AM
STA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy-4-50 View Post
1) Anaheim
2) Calgary
3) Detroit
----------------
4) San Jose
5) Colorado
6) Nashville
---------------
7) *Minnesota/Vancouver
8) Dallas
---------------
9) *Vancouver/Minnesota
---------------
10) St. Louis
11) LA
12) Chicago
13) Edmonton
14) Phoenix
15) Columbus

*Depending on Luongo

Fixed
If Luongo goes down we are getting a top 5 draft pick.

If not we will be in contention for division champs.

Silly Flames fan...

STA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2007, 05:57 AM
Peter Angelo

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuebeCaniac View Post
Am I the only one thinking Nashville will compete for the division title again this year?

- Mason proved he can be a solid #1 goalie
- Timonen is out, but Hamhuis, Suter and Weber are a year older... they are unreal great young dmen
- Zidlicky is still there for the PP duties
- Hartnell/Kariya are out but they still have two impressive offensive lines
- They have a great shutdown third line
- Radulov will get more icetime

Sullivan - Arnott - Dumont
Erat - Legwand - Radulov
Fiddler - Bonk - Ortmeyer

You make good points and I hope you are right, but my basis for having them miss the playoffs is simply that you have to allow for injuries.

If Sullivan struggles to recover from his back issues and one of the other top 6 forwards suffers a substantial injury (20 games or so) then there is absolutely no one capable of filling that void on the top 2 lines. Depth is a huge issue.

Hope I am wrong though but that was my reason for having them finish 11th.

Peter Angelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2007, 09:24 AM
luckoftheduck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overtime Ohlund View Post
While your D looks good on paper, i don't think its easily the best in the division. Dallas has a suffocating defense that I would rank up near the top.
Zubov....Boucher

Nordstrom....Robidas

Daley....Baumgartner/Grossman
That isn't very stifling at all. Especially when you consider Zubov is 36 and is no Lidstrom.

luckoftheduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2007, 10:55 AM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

vCash: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckoftheduck View Post
Zubov....Boucher

Nordstrom....Robidas

Daley....Baumgartner/Grossman
That isn't very stifling at all. Especially when you consider Zubov is 36 and is no Lidstrom.
Is the Lidstrom comparison even needed? No one compares to him, and Zubov's still a top 5 blueliner in the league.

Boucher is the best d-man in the league you can get for $2.5 mil, scoring nearly 20 goals.

Add Norstrom for a full season in Dallas, and he'll rebound from his crappy season in LA.

I'd say it IS stifling, what with being the 2nd best defence in the NHL last year.

Modo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2007, 07:41 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modo View Post
Is the Lidstrom comparison even needed? No one compares to him, and Zubov's still a top 5 blueliner in the league.

Boucher is the best d-man in the league you can get for $2.5 mil, scoring nearly 20 goals.

Add Norstrom for a full season in Dallas, and he'll rebound from his crappy season in LA.

I'd say it IS stifling, what with being the 2nd best defence in the NHL last year.
Uh... the 2nd best defense? I think you're mistaking the system they play for the skill of their defense. There is a difference.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2007, 08:59 PM
luckoftheduck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modo View Post

Norstrom has never been incredible even as a shutdown defender. Last season was just the start. He's not getting any younger you know I believe he's 35/36 next season.
Boucher is good but I can think of a lot of better #2 defensemen in just the pacific division and while he is the best at 2.5, Frankie Beauch is a better value at 1.7. I'd take Beauchemin over Boucher by a little bit.

luckoftheduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2007, 09:04 PM
Alistar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
Uh... the 2nd best defense? I think you're mistaking the system they play for the skill of their defense. There is a difference.
I would argue that the only real way to judge how good a defense is is the numbers they produce over the season. people seem to forget that an entire team plays defense, not just the 6 official guys and the goaltender at the back. If Dallas produces the 2nd best defensive statistics in the league, its a pretty good indication that overall (disregarding differences in schedual strength) Dallas has the second best defense in the league.

Alistar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2007, 09:52 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistar View Post
I would argue that the only real way to judge how good a defense is is the numbers they produce over the season. people seem to forget that an entire team plays defense, not just the 6 official guys and the goaltender at the back. If Dallas produces the 2nd best defensive statistics in the league, its a pretty good indication that overall (disregarding differences in schedual strength) Dallas has the second best defense in the league.
You can argue that, but it doesn't necessarily mean it's true. Both Minnesota and Dallas, the two teams who had the lowest GA, were hardly teams I would look at and say "That defense is incredible." It's the system they play, as much as anything. Anaheim, for example, played a more open style during the regular season. That means that, as a team, they are more likely to have some goals scored against them. Does that mean their defense is worse? No, of course not. It means that they aren't as inclined to play defense first, like Minnesota and Dallas.

Certainly the entire team plays defense, but that's not what this person was arguing. He was listing the 6 people who play the defense position, and stating that they were the 2nd best defense in the league. Minnesota and Dallas both have, what I would call, solid players on their blue line. That doesn't mean that they are the best defenses in the league, despite their goals against. The system plays an enormous part in that.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2007, 11:20 PM
Gibsons Finest
Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
Exactly. I don't know what they're using to judge this, but, if it's what I think they're using, Minnesota topped that very ranking. The same Minnesota defense that has no real #1 guy, and isn't that great at all.

In terms of a 6-man unit, even with Niedermayer leaving Dallas' unit isn't as good as Anaheim's. Dallas' IMO is still third or so in the division.

Gibsons Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2008, 09:00 PM
td_ice
Peter shows the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by NucksDaynastyACometh View Post
how many more times are we going to hear "Naslund has a bounce back season" - it isnt going to happen

Detriot
Anahiem
Calgary
San Jose
Colorado
Dallas
Minny
Nashville
----------------------------
the rest dont matter
With all the prediction threads popping up at this time of the year, I decided to look back at last years. (this is a thread from one year ago at this time.)

This guy correctly predicted all 8 Western playoff teams.

Good stuff.

td_ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 03:13 AM
Back in 94
In Gillis I trust

Lol, at that time if someone told me the Canucks would not win there division I'd bite there head off. I owe some apologies.

Back in 94 is offline   Reply With Quote