HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Sundin

Closed Thread

Old
07-21-2008, 10:53 AM
crazycanuck

vCash: 500
Can someone direct me to the direct quote from Sundin stating he wants to stay in the east, and not some fan posting it on a forum.

Old
07-21-2008, 11:03 AM
hdw

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycanuck View Post
Can someone direct me to the direct quote from Sundin stating he wants to stay in the east, and not some fan posting it on a forum.
Read the latest interview with Sundin where he clearly states that "no teams are out of the picture".

The "wants to stay in the east" is invented by some bored journalist and then repeated until it became "the truth".

Old
Schroeder19

Quote:
The following is Sundin's interview in today's Aftonbladet as translated by our Flyers Blogger/Swedish Translator Bill Meltzer. Great Work Bill!

http://www.aftonbladet.se/sportblade...icle2940655.ab

Sundin denies Vancouver move in an exclusive interview

Mats Sundin has not yet decided what to do about continuing his career.

"It's not true at all that I'm definitely going to Vancouver. I haven't yet decided if I'm going to continue to play hockey," Sundin says to Sportbladet.

Mats Sundin was the NHL' hottest player when the free agent signing window in the NHL started July 1.

Exactly one week before he became eligible for offers from other teams, Toronto's archrival Montreal negotiated to obtain the exclusive right to negotiate with Sudden.

But the biggest bombsheel was the offer from the Vancouver Canucks.

$20 million dollars-- approximately 120 million SEK -- for two years with the club.

Sundin would get up to half the sum in advance each season. That would make him the NHL's highest paid player before such young superstars as Sidney Crosby and Alexander Ovechkin.

Now Mats Sundin breaks his silece after the reports that he was already committed to Vancouver.

"The team is unchanged and I'm still trying gather my thoughts and decide what I'll do in the future.I'm going to try to reach a decision within the next few weeks."

It's been speculated that you might wait until well into the autumn?

"No, I won't do that.

– Nej, det kommer jag inte att göra. I hope to make a decision about continuing with hockey in August or perhaps at the end of this month. If I'm going to play, it'll be for the whole season. Then I'll also be there from the beginning, when training camp gets underway."

Flattered by the giant offer

There's enormous money riding if you choice Vancouver?

"Yes. it's flattering and a fantastic offer. It's nice that a team thinks I'm that competent."

But will the money play any roll in the an eventual decision?

"When you're a professional hockey player, the money is one part of the total picture before a decision. But there are plenty of other things that play in as well. If it was only about the money, I would have already signed with Vancouver."

But can you see yourself signing for two years as they offered? You had said before that you'd take it one year at a time.

"Yes, but it's uncommon to be offered a two-year contract at my age.
I haven't thought that far at all, but obviously it feels flattering."

Vancouver has put forth that there'd be an extra plus that you'd be able to play the 2010 Olympics on home ice if you accept their two-year contract?

"It feels very doubtful that I'll play in any more Olympic tournaments. You should never say never, but it feels very far away."

Is Toronto still an alternative?

"Nothing is out of the picture. I got got a very good offer from them also plus one from Montreal. But Vancouver's contract was in a class by itself if you look only at the money."

Toronto has brought in a lot of new players and let go of others...

"I haven't followed it so closely, but Joe Nieuwendyk has come into the club's front office, and he's a fantastic leader and has got a real winner's metality. I believe he's going to help a lot in the process of building a club that's strong and probably can fight for the Stanley Cup in the future. I believe they're going to get a good team already this season.

"And of course I feel strongly for Toronto after 13 seasons with the club. It feel like home. But we'll have to see.

Pleased with the season

Are you surprised by the enormous interest in you?

"I don't know if I'm surprised. I was very pleased with my season. And it's a fine acknowledgement that so many have shown interest."

What is it that you're still considering that you haven't yet decided to continue playing?

"I want to know that I'm ready to charge the batteries again before a long season and all that goes along with it."

Is your body OK?

"Yes. I've managed to avoid serious injuries that would force me rest for a longer time. It's mostly wear-and-tear injuries that the majority of players my age experience. In the hip, one shoulder and a knee."

What are you doing right now?

"I'm just trying to enjoy the Swedish summer. It's been pretty calm the whole summer. I've been out in the archipelago and been up in the North fishing."

In one week at the earliest, Sudden will make a decision on whether or not to continue. A definitive answere on where -- or if -- he'll play next seen will also come then.
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=16304

Looks like the Habs are out of it

1)Vancouver
2)Leafs
3)Retirement

-Talked about Vancouver the most
- Hearts still in Toronto

Old
Bishop*

Montreal may have a shot at the Stanley Cup final, but they have little chance at the cup itself... It is clear that the best teams are out West, so why would Sundin want to play in the inferior conference?

Old
07-21-2008, 11:04 AM
Guillemin

Wow, reading that, I've changed my opinion on what he's gonna do. I've said the Leafs this whole time, but reading that, Mats sounds tired. The best decision might be to make no decision at all.

I say he retires to Sweden.

Old
07-21-2008, 11:06 AM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
There is none, just second hand information from Fletcher.

Old
07-21-2008, 11:07 AM
crazycanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdw View Post
Read the latest interview with Sundin where he clearly states that "no teams are out of the picture".

The "wants to stay in the east" is invented by some bored journalist and then repeated until it became "the truth".
That was the point I was trying to make, its speculation and not the truth.

Old
07-21-2008, 11:07 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexOvechkin View Post

1)Vancouver
2)Leafs
3)Retirement

?!?!

Only a Canucks fan could read "It's not true at all that I'm definitely going to Vancouver" and "If it was only about the money, I would have already signed with Vancouver" and determine that the Habs are out of it.

Old
07-21-2008, 11:11 AM
Rover*

Nice to see he barely mentioned montreal and talks about vancouver the most and talks about how much love they've shown him.

People keep saying he doesn't want to play out of the east without proof, but we already know what he thinks about montreal.

Old
07-21-2008, 11:15 AM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomas Ros

On the Mats Sundin front, Aftonbladet's Tomas Ros says that Sundin would prefer to stay in the Eastern Conference, though he's seriously considering the Vancouver Canucks' 2-year, $20 million contract offer,
http://blog.mlive.com/snapshots/2008...pond_on_f.html

The article is a couple of weeks old and states that he would prefer, because of the traveling Vancouver does.

It's to show that there's proof and not just habs fans saying what they want. haha

Old
07-21-2008, 11:18 AM
Rover*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post

The article is a couple of weeks old and states that he would prefer, because of the traveling Vancouver does.

It's to show that there's proof and not just habs fans saying what they want. haha
That's not proof. The poster was asking for a direct quote. Do you see a direct quote there?

Old
07-21-2008, 11:18 AM
crazycanuck

Quote:

Does Mats Sundin have a alias cause unless he does thats not a direct quote from Sundin saying he would prefer to stay in the East.

Old
07-21-2008, 11:19 AM
TOML

Quote:

Direct quote from Sundin? No.

Indirect quote from another reporter? Yes.

Old
07-21-2008, 11:25 AM
BudMaster17
Gap Inspector

Hes not going to the Habs, which leaves the Nuks and the Leafs, both arnt going to win a cup anytime soon, but at least the nuks have maybe the best goalie in hockey, but they also have a crazy travel schedual, I just have this feeling hes comin back with the leafs. The only way thats a good thing for the leafs is if he signs without a no trade (which will not happen) then they will finish around 9th 10th again

Old
07-21-2008, 11:25 AM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Does Mats Sundin have a alias cause unless he does thats not a direct quote from Sundin saying he would prefer to stay in the East.
And, no one will find one because without stating that he will play again Sundin isn't going to start telling people where he wants to go.

Old
07-21-2008, 11:31 AM
AH

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexOvechkin View Post

1)Vancouver
2)Leafs
3)Retirement

How the hell did you come up with that?

From reading that interview, I get the impression.

1) Toronto
2) Retire
3) There is no #3.

Like I have said before, clueless people out on the West coast are seriously underestimating Sundin's loyalty to everything Toronto. You guys are delusional if you think Vancouver's offer can undo all that.

Old
07-21-2008, 11:34 AM

lol

I love how people are trying to decipher what team or option Sundin is leaning towards when the only thing concrete to come out of that whole interview is that HE STILL HASN'T DECIDED IF, MUCH LESS WHERE, HE'S GOING TO PLAY.

So as of today, right now, all the teams that are in contention for Sundin are in the same boat...any Habs fan, Leafs fan or Canucks fans claiming to now have the inside track to Sundin based on this interview, needs to get their head checked

Last edited by Kristia: 07-21-2008 at 11:38 AM. Reason: removed deleted quote
Old
07-21-2008, 11:36 AM
Guillemin

I think you're seeing more sour grapes than there are. And commenting on it wherever you see it.

We won the East last year without Sundin. We can do the same this year. And without him, we can afford to keep our core together next summer. No sour grapes from this fan at all.

Last edited by Kristia: 07-21-2008 at 11:37 AM. Reason: removed deleted quote
Old
07-21-2008, 11:42 AM
MD Bruins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
My opinion is that it is between Montreal and Toronto and Sundin just doesn't want to give out any info so the ball is in his agents court at all times.

Personally I think Vancouver is his fall back plan. He knows he can sign abroad for around the same type of coin if Vancouver some how does blow all their cap space before he makes his decision, and he'd probably rather stay a leaf if he wanted to play for a bad team or go to a real contender like the habs.

1) Habs already made the best aquisition in the East this summer. (Tanguay)

2) Habs were already a 1st place team in the east and Sundin wants to play in the East preferably.

3) He wants to play for a serious contender, I honestly don't even think Vancouver will make the playoffs, with Sundin I think they would but in 6th to 8th place. With the habs he can win a cup now, with TO he can stay with the team that he has been with for like 13 seasons.

I just don't see him signing in Vancouver. I think Vancouver is going to get the short end of the stick here cause I think he'd go to TO before VAN, both are hardly contenders without him so he'd prolly just stick to the team he's compfortable with if he can't go on a team that is a serious contender from the East. (Detroit might be in the western conference but they are really close to TO and though I doubt they have the cap room, they could make a move or get him to take a paycut for a serious shot at the cup)

Vancouver has nothing to offer but $.

A) They're a western team, Sundin wants to play in the East.
B) They're only really offering him 2$million a season more then anyone else who has made offers to him, except one of those teams is his team, the other is a serious contender.

imo what will happen, all the good ufas get sucked up, van gets stuck with 10 million in space cause Sundin doesn't sign there in the end, personally I think Toronto has more of a shot then Van does, they just aren't a strong enough team to merit him signing there, they don't have the proven chemistry MTL does, they just signed Demitra and expect him to play well with their current roster which sucked to begin with. I just don't c any reason other than $ sundin would sign there, and even then he can make that type of coin outside the NHL if he wanted to play for a non-contender
An honest question, and I know Bergy is not really an acquisition per se, but -

Would you rather have Tanguay or Bergeron?

Old
07-21-2008, 11:42 AM
LeafsAlive*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Bruins Fan View Post

Stupid question. I think we all know the answer, if both are healthy.

Old
07-21-2008, 11:43 AM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:

Bergeron, young and immensely talented. I would say "If you can't get Crosby, get Bergeron!"

But that's just me.

Old
07-21-2008, 11:43 AM

"I haven't yet decided if I'm going to continue to play hockey,"

I don't know...to me, this sounds like the most telling quote from Sundin

How anyone can say that one team is ahead of another based on that...I have no idea

Old
07-21-2008, 11:45 AM
MD Bruins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
"I haven't yet decided if I'm going to continue to play hockey,"

I don't know...to me, this sounds like the most telling quote from Sundin

How anyone can say that one team is ahead of another based on that...I have no idea
I put the chances at about 2% that Sundin turns down 16-20 million dollars.

Old
07-21-2008, 11:48 AM
AH

Quote:

Bergeron's injury was very serious. Expecting him to revert to old form immediately is wrong on anyone's part. I say two years before he shows his old self again...

Old
07-21-2008, 11:49 AM
Fugu

vCash:
The next poster that "fixes" someone's comment will get an infraction for spamming. The ability to quote another poster is here so that readers may follow along in the conversation. The quoted portion is NOT to be altered, especially to insult or demean another poster.

Closed Thread