HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Poll to end all polls

View Poll Results: Do you like Guillaume Latendresse?
Yes 222 74.25%
No 77 25.75%
Voters: 299. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-20-2008, 05:04 PM
Yzerplan
I has one.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
Do you like Guillaume Latendresse?
No. He ended Rob DiMaio's career prematurely. Then again, it was going to end one way or another not much later than it did, but still...I want someone to bash his brains against the end boards...lol

Yzerplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2008, 05:14 PM
Pascal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haddock View Post
According to some of you, Latendresse is a twenty-one years old has-been or even worse, a never-was.

Only on HF.
I don't think he's any of those things.. but i can understand why some people might think he'll never be a force. You can teach him to skate better and such, but you can't teach the fire he needs to have to be a real power forward. Age won't change his character.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2008, 05:54 PM
Arctic_Hab_Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uwey View Post
Wasn't that the knock on Luc Robitaille as well???
Uwey buddy, I sure hope you ain't comparing lat's potential to that of Luc...not all slow players are Robitailles.

Lat's needs to finish his checks, needs to use his body more and show some fire each and every night...Lats has been lethargic on too many nights. When he started going down to block some shots, that really impressed me, he was willingly to do more in order to make a contribution and needs to continue on that path.

edit: Uwey, is that other place dead or what? i haven't been able to get on it this weekend.

Arctic_Hab_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2008, 06:05 PM
crazyd
Canada is hockey

Quote:
Latendresse has surprising speed, I find. He always gets ragged on for being slow, but he's really not that bad. He might not be explosive, but once he gets going, he can skate.
I agree...then I noticed that when he is geared up...he has a hard time to stop...and he must turn like a 10 wheeler.

crazyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2008, 06:19 PM
CTHabsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post

3) Lats is a power forward... at his size and with his hands in close, thats what he is..... Was John Leclair not a power forward too?? How long did he take?? He may nto be a cam neely, or jarome iginla... but he's a big, strong, guy who can go to the net, has soft hands and can score goals... thats a power forward
Exactly; John LeClair didn't start to produce big numbers until he was 25 years old. I also do not remember LeClair being particularly fast, or being someone who dished out a lot of physical punishment.

Last edited by Beakermania*: 07-20-2008 at 07:09 PM.
CTHabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2008, 09:55 PM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garo View Post
Many of the posters who voted no haven't done that.

Try again.
I never said all 20 no voters were thread-hijackers.

I said the hijackers were a vocal minority.

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2008, 11:40 PM
habfaninvictoria

Potential YES

Roster spot for the past 2 years NOOOO

Now we have no choice even if we wanted to send him down!! and we do.
What bothers us is that he's been given an apparent free ride to an NHL roster spot, and not been held up to the same standards as say... CHIPCHURA.

Is it his fault NO, but unfortunately it's him so he wears it.

Just imagine how good this guy would be if he had spent as much time in Hamilton as some of our other prospects. But no...

So what are we to think about why he warranted such preferential treatment?

Was it because he electrified us game in game out with his intensity...
Maybe he plays a specific role no one else can (power forward) nope
Perhaps he's far more mature than his years and is good in the room and being groomed for leadership

I've seen no indication from his on ice play that he is any different (better) than our other prospects. This leaves me with the one and only reason I can think of that he stayed with the team .... francophone pressure ...

I hope he becomes all that he could but realistically... come on... a 2nd rounder ... makes the jump from junior and STAYS without the game to back it up .... IT STINKS ... and all the other prospects probably think it stinks too.

So what the best route for this guy, so he doesn't turn into Turner Stevenson or worse end up traded and turning into LeClair

habfaninvictoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2008, 11:48 PM
Phil Parent
Is Watching The D

vCash: 50
He never was the same after he splattered DiMaio's brains all over the place. He started caring about NOT injuring people. And when you're a big guy supposed to be playing physical and you're trying not to hurt people, you're in trouble.

If he can fix that in his head, and drop some fat, and take some power skating for that explosion on starts, he can be dangerous. Will it happen? Who knows.

Phil Parent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 12:01 AM
Artyukhin*

GUIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII GUIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII GUIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0n3Y3d0JmM

i cant wait to see him at 25

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoDOrWQ2b1s

Artyukhin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 12:27 AM
Phil Parent
Is Watching The D

On that second video, 27 seconds in, that's the best "Guillaume Latendresse" I've heard out of an English announcer. That's Jim Hughson isn't it?

But yeah, Tender at 25 could be interesting if he does the right stuff. Very.

Phil Parent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 02:35 AM
Garo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post
I never said all 20 no voters were thread-hijackers.

I said the hijackers were a vocal minority.
Eh, got the wrong impression the way you wrote it.

My mistake then, because I agree with you there.

Garo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 05:30 AM
DieHardHabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Parent View Post
On that second video, 27 seconds in, that's the best "Guillaume Latendresse" I've heard out of an English announcer. That's Jim Hughson isn't it?

But yeah, Tender at 25 could be interesting if he does the right stuff. Very.
no its not him, he does the oilers sportsnet games.. not sure of his name.. but i know its not Jim

DieHardHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 09:17 AM
Puckhead58*

I admit....I'm not a huge fan of Latendresse. If he would play like he did to make the team in the first place, then I might feel differently.....but since he made the team, he stopped hitting and tried to be fancy with the puck and he just doesn't have the speed or skill to do that. He should sticks to what works, and that hitting, going to the net hard and being a big power forward type player.

Puckhead58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 09:44 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

I answered yes, but I'm very tired of all the people who put him on a pedestal, as much or evenmore so than those who say he sucks.

He's young, has potential, but has a lot of shortcomings, so we have to be extra patient with him, and that goes both ways, to not think he's useless and also not believing he's there yet.

People who see only his weaknesses will say that he's slow and very poor defensively.

While people who are inamoured with him and see only his qualities will say that he's very good offensively and the other things don't matter.

Well, the common sense lies in the middle ground, while the former is the reason why he shouldn't be put ahead of where he is right now, the latter is the reason why we should be patient with him.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 10:21 AM
mcphee

Yes, but he should lose weight skate faster, be more humble in interviews and save an old woman the way Stephane Richer did, and maybe play less baseball because it shows a lack of dedication to achieving the goals that we have set for him.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 10:26 AM
Mustafa*

Seriously i think that loosing in the second series, and being put in the press box did affect Gui, he understood that he needs to work on his carrer potential. He was dead serious at the end of the season and when the season ends he made a commitment, so whatever we might say on that board, Gui will show if he's that serious around the midle of the season.

Mustafa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 10:32 AM
Lone Rogue

Being one of the few guys who would bear a Latendresse avatar (That I made!), yes of course I'm a fan.

He barely plays, and when he does, he either does a lot of good or a lot of questionable. Never "bad". I don't see him taking Hollweg level penalties. I don't see him giving up the puck to cost us goals. I don't see terrible passes that lead to giveaway goals. For the most part I see him and Lapierre sending the puck into the opposition's zone, not really doing much with it, just killing time for the top lines to be refreshed. When he does get tossed onto a top line, he produces. More importantly, he produces on even strength.

My belief is that in 3 years, Latendresse will be a solid 25-30 goal scorer, who can kill penalties, protect teammates and contribute. That's it. If he becomes more, wonderful, but I project him as a second line threat. Maybe thats why the guy doesn't piss me off so much. Maybe with the right center he'll fire home 40 in a year, but I'm not going to count on it.

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 10:48 AM
Judge Sauer*

I voted no, but that opinion could easily change and my opinion is pretty much based on most negative things already mentioned in this thread. I hope he has his coming out party this season and scores points without top 6 linemates.

Judge Sauer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 10:51 AM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Parent View Post
He never was the same after he splattered DiMaio's brains all over the place. He started caring about NOT injuring people. And when you're a big guy supposed to be playing physical and you're trying not to hurt people, you're in trouble.

If he can fix that in his head, and drop some fat, and take some power skating for that explosion on starts, he can be dangerous. Will it happen? Who knows.
I totally agree with this. Before the DiMaio hit, Lats was a force along the boards and seemed to hit everything that moved. His over all game has improved since his first season, but his intensity has dropped IMO.

If he can find it again, and improve his skating. We Hab fans will be looking at a special player for years to come.

07-21-2008, 10:53 AM
PolishHab21

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHabsGo247 View Post
I'm just going to come right out and say it.

I think he is completely useless and a waste of a roster spot on our team.

And, it's just the way I feel.
i agree i think he can improve but he will still be the same. Its hard to believe some people want to put him 1 or 2 line with Koivu

PolishHab21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 10:59 AM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolishHab21 View Post
i agree i think he can improve but he will still be the same. Its hard to believe some people want to put him 1 or 2 line with Koivu
Well he seems to have decent chemisty with Koivu. The only problem is they haven't had a lot of time to play together on the same line. I wouldn't mind Lats having a chance for say 20 consecutive games playing on a line with Koivu.

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 11:02 AM
Lone Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolishHab21 View Post
i agree i think he can improve but he will still be the same.
Wait a minute...

How can you improve but still be the same? To improve means you are better than before. Did you even think this sentence through?

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 11:27 AM
Mats NAslund

Quote:
Latendresse has surprising speed, I find. He always gets ragged on for being slow, but he's really not that bad. He might not be explosive, but once he gets going, he can skate.
The kid needs some AHL time to hone his hockey sense. He just seems lost on the ice most of the time. I don't think he's too slow for the NHL or that he has no skill I just think he's raw and needs to develop some more at a lower level where he can be dominant. Then come back and play with more confidence. Just my 2 cents....

Mats NAslund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 11:28 AM
Haddock

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
Yes, but he should lose weight skate faster, be more humble in interviews and save an old woman the way Stephane Richer did, and maybe play less baseball because it shows a lack of dedication to achieving the goals that we have set for him.
Don't get me started on Latendresse's extracurricular activities!

Baseball.

And get this, he's having a freakin' kid! I don't think his mind's in the right place either. Appaling.

Haddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 11:31 AM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haddock View Post
Don't get me started on Latendresse's extracurricular activities!

Baseball.

And get this, he's having a freakin' kid! I don't think his mind's in the right place either. Appaling.
So you think all of our Hab players should live in a bubble. So that they can't interact with the outside world, only sit still and think about hockey?

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote