HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Greg Moore re-signed

Old
07-21-2008, 10:19 AM
FutureGM97

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
Greg Moore re-signed

Quote:
The Rangers have re-signed Greg Moore, ensuring more trips on the Greg Moore Highway. No word yet on terms…
per Sam Weinman

http://rangers.lohudblogs.com/

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 10:53 AM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
Kind of wish he didn't and went abroad.

ECL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 11:16 AM
Blueshirt Brawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Kind of wish he didn't and went abroad.
There's no reason not to bring him back. Hartford could use him for sure.

Blueshirt Brawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 11:22 AM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Brawler View Post
There's no reason not to bring him back. Hartford could use him for sure.
There's a big reason. Limited to zero NHL upside. I sincerely hope we move past this belief that he somehow has the potential to be a solid NHL player.

Old
07-21-2008, 11:25 AM
Blueshirt Brawler

Quote:
There's a big reason. Limited to zero NHL upside. I sincerely hope we move past this belief that he somehow has the potential to be a solid NHL player.
There are plenty of those types at Hartford. Moore competes and he's a veteran presence for a young team that doesn't have much leadership. I don't have a problem with the Rangers keeping him for another year. You can't have a minor league team without a couple of leaders on it.

Blueshirt Brawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 11:28 AM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Why can't he be a depth guy for the bottom 2 lines? He is a responsible defensive player with good speed.

If you are looking for somebody for the top 2 lines then you are looking at the wrong guy but as a depth player moore doesn't hurt..

Chances are we dont' see him this season and he is a hartford guy but there is no reason to bash the signing or the player...

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 11:30 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Whether he ever makes it in the NHL, you need players who can play down in the "A". It helps our prospects, and thats all you need to know.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 11:49 AM
NYR Viper

solid signing.....sather needs to get creative again and make a few trades to open up some spots in the AHL and the NHL for players who deserve higher spots or else the rangers will ruin good prospects because they cant have enough ice time when they need a lot to improve

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 11:52 AM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
Why can't he be a depth guy for the bottom 2 lines? He is a responsible defensive player with good speed.

If you are looking for somebody for the top 2 lines then you are looking at the wrong guy but as a depth player moore doesn't hurt..

Chances are we dont' see him this season and he is a hartford guy but there is no reason to bash the signing or the player...
He can't be a good depth guy because he's not good at anything. He's not NHL level in one single aspect of his game. He's also a very mediocre skater. Don't see why you think he has good speed. Looked very average compared to everyone else.

Moore doesn't hit. Doesn't score. Doesn't play great defense. Doesn't fight. Doesn't have great passing skills or vision. I'm not talking about in the AHL. I'm talking about NHL level skills in those areas. I mean, really -- do you really want another Marcel Hossa (though one who's decidedly lesser skilled in defense and puck possession) on the team?

Old
07-21-2008, 11:53 AM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Whether he ever makes it in the NHL, you need players who can play down in the "A". It helps our prospects, and thats all you need to know.
That's why you have players on AHL deals. Not NHL deals.

There is no reason to have this guy signed to a NHL contract.

I've been a detractor of his since his college days. He's just not NHL caliber. We need to start cutting players like him loose. We are at nearly 50 NHL contracts (if we aren't already there).

No need for garbage players like Moore to be kept around.

Old
07-21-2008, 11:54 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
He can't be a good depth guy because he's not good at anything. He's not NHL level in one single aspect of his game. He's also a very mediocre skater. Don't see why you think he has good speed. Looked very average compared to everyone else.

Moore doesn't hit. Doesn't score. Doesn't play great defense. Doesn't fight. Doesn't have great passing skills or vision. I'm not talking about in the AHL. I'm talking about NHL level skills in those areas. I mean, really -- do you really want another Marcel Hossa (though one who's decidedly lesser skilled in defense and puck possession) on the team?
I hear ya Jon, I don't think he's much of an NHL prospect. However, he is a good guy to have in Hartford; if nothing else, he can help our other prospects develop.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 11:57 AM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
I hear ya Jon, I don't think he's much of an NHL prospect. However, he is a good guy to have in Hartford; if nothing else, he can help our other prospects develop.
I just don't see the need to have a no-upside kind of guy on a NHL contract. Unless he's a bonafide AHL star (like PA Parenteau is), then who cares?

I'll be pretty furious, also, if this deal is more than a year.

Old
07-21-2008, 12:04 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
I just don't see the need to have a no-upside kind of guy on a NHL contract. Unless he's a bonafide AHL star (like PA Parenteau is), then who cares?

I'll be pretty furious, also, if this deal is more than a year.
You can worry about the 'deal' all you want, at the end of the day he's a 24 yr old injury callup(and btw, do we have a plethora of other legit choices on Hartford to chose from?) who makes Hartford better.

Old
07-21-2008, 12:07 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Quote:
You can worry about the 'deal' all you want, at the end of the day he's a 24 yr old injury callup(and btw, do we have a plethora of other legit choices on Hartford to chose from?) who makes Hartford better.
I don't see how AA, Korpikoski, Byers, and Jessiman aren't better call-ups. They all fit better niches than Moore does in any area.

Moore is not a NHL player and never will be an every day one. Again, these are the types of guys that should be signed to AHL deals. Not NHL deals.

I've gotta admit, though, that it's a complete laugher that he's #6 on our HF prospect list.

Old
07-21-2008, 12:17 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
I don't see how AA, Korpikoski, Byers, and Jessiman aren't better call-ups. They all fit better niches than Moore does in any area.

Moore is not a NHL player and never will be an every day one. Again, these are the types of guys that should be signed to AHL deals. Not NHL deals.

I've gotta admit, though, that it's a complete laugher that he's #6 on our HF prospect list.
Jessiman? Come on now.....

Korps will make the team, so no worries there.

AA will probably be brought along slowly, he'll stay in Hartford and become a go to guy there.

That leaves Byers, who could also be considered with Moore as a callup - just depends on which kind of situation they need the callup to play in.

Again, Moore is only 24 yrs old. He's shown the ability to up his game, its not that much of a laugher. Remember when Pat Auferio was #6 on our prospect list, speaking of laughers

Old
07-21-2008, 12:24 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:

I did think 6 was wayyyyyy too high for him.

nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 12:26 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
exactly...

For all the talk about about Jessiman, Greg Moore has done more as a pro then Jessiman.

This a depth signing...nothing more.....what's the problem with that?

I have no problem killing managment for the dumb things they've done this offseason but Moore isn't a bad signing or a good signing...it's a depth move...

Old
07-21-2008, 12:29 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:

To each his own..

I'm not getting into a debate about Greg Moore and the value he brings the wolfpack...

you want to cry about Greg Moore being resigned by my guest it is a move that's going to have almost zero effect on the big club this season...

Moore does a lot of good things for a depth player....

Old
07-21-2008, 12:35 PM
silverfish
KEVIN!

Value on the pack. It's good for the prospects to have a veteran like Moore around on the team like other posters above me have stated.

Yeah he plays Mr. Invisible quite well when he gets the call up, but he puts up good numbers in Hartford, so it's good for the pack.

silverfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 12:40 PM
Larry Melnyk

why not re-sign him? There should be an open competion for spots on the 3rd and 4th lines..Let the best players win..Let guys like Jessiman, Mooore, Byers, Korp battle with 4th liners like Sjostrom, Orr, Riismiller, Voros,(none are anything higher) etc..That's the way will get the best we can on the 4th line and maybe one can surpise om the 3rd lie(bu doubtful) if we keep this same weak line-up....

Larry Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 12:43 PM
Fire Sather
4 MORE YEARS!

Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
If he plays a game this year, that means we've had ALOT of injuries..

this guy is buried on the depth chart, and rightfully so.

Fire Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 12:52 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Sather View Post
If he plays a game this year, that means we've had ALOT of injuries..

this guy is buried on the depth chart, and rightfully so.
i wonder why we got him in the trade with betts in the chris simon deal, id rather taken a lower draft pick instead.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 12:59 PM
GAGLine
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers3018 View Post
Yeah he plays Mr. Invisible quite well when he gets the call up, but he puts up good numbers in Hartford, so it's good for the pack.
So did Dawes when he made the team out of camp 2 years ago. He did nothing and got sent down. There were people saying he's too small and that he'll never play for the Rangers, he'll be traded, yada yada yada. Now most people consider Dawes for the top 2 lines.

I think people write Moore off because of his age, but he played 4 years at Maine before starting his pro career. He's played 2 years for the Pack and here are his numbers:

2006-07 79 games 8 goals 17 assists
2007-08 72 games 26 goals 40 assists

That's a significant improvement from his rookie year. People can say he'll never be an NHL player, but he didn't get all those callups last year for nothing. He must have some ability to play at this level. I doubt he'll ever be top 6, but I see no reason why he can't be a solid 3rd or 4th liner. Yeah, I know we already have too many of those, but he is still a player of value, even if his value to us is only realized as part of a trade.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 01:03 PM
NYR Viper

i think moore will be the first call-up again this season....he is a solid overall player with size....i could also see him getting traded as he has value considering he puts up points, pk's, can play center and wing, and is 6'3......i have a feeling that a lot of teams would be interested in him

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 01:16 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
i think moore will be the first call-up again this season....he is a solid overall player with size....i could also see him getting traded as he has value considering he puts up points, pk's, can play center and wing, and is 6'3......i have a feeling that a lot of teams would be interested in him
why not see what voros betts moore line would do in camp, i think betts and moore would work well together.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote