HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Danny Markov To La?

Old
07-19-2008, 03:26 PM
Martyros
Allow me to retort

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
It's not whining it's the truth. They're ~$12M from the floor with 18 players signed. And currently, are at 5 d-men at the roster. They're no where near the floor, even if they have 4 guys yet to sign. At most Stoll gets $4M, O'Sullivan gets ~$3M and Moulson + Richardson won't cost another $5M between then. They're almost $10M less than the next closest team (Atlanta) also not at the floor.
are you forgetting taht Purcell (who gets about 1.5 million with bonuses and boyle( around 800K) aren't counting against the cap yet? on top of that, if Doughty makes the team, which he probably will since we don't even have that many dmen, with HIS bonuses, that gives us atleast 2.5 million. if it's a long term deal with Sully, you can bank on it that he gets ATLEAST 3.5 million.

Martyros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 03:37 PM
sweatypickle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guillemin View Post
Hopefully he's realized that teams will call his bluff and has reduced his ridiculous contract demands of a season ago.
He was asking for 3-3.5 million which wasn't that outlandish except to the Wings.. I think other issues kept him from being signed..

sweatypickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 03:41 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 965
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisnovskyFan View Post
They already resigned Moulson, didn't they? Also don't forget they will have to sign Doughty and possibly Teubert for this year too.
Moulson's numbers haven't been released yet, I don't believe. Same with Harrold.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 04:11 PM
LimpDave

you guys do realize it was Markov that destroyed Stoll's brains right?

not that there are likely any hard feelings, and i think Markov is terrific, but you do have to ask yourself if it's worth it if it effects the team dressing room chemistry at all

LimpDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 04:13 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by LimpDave View Post

not that there are likely any hard feelings, and i think Markov is terrific, but you do have to ask yourself if it's worth it if it effects the team dressing room chemistry at all
It's part of the game. I see no reason why Stoll would have anything against Markov for the hit. See Hatcher and Roenick on Philly or Gomez and Avery on the Rangers. When you put on the same uniform the past doesn't matter.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 05:25 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Moulson's numbers haven't been released yet, I don't believe. Same with Harrold.
...but you would have to agree that the Kings will have no trouble getting to the salary floor, given the players that they have left to sign, right?

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 05:29 PM
R0CKET

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Elvis View Post
He has less than 3 months to come of age .
Man - messed that up.

I mean that he might be ready by the following season 2009/2010.

Its July and I still am having trouble getting that its 2008.

Too many beers.

R0CKET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2008, 08:29 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
...but you would have to agree that the Kings will have no trouble getting to the salary floor, given the players that they have left to sign, right?

I'm not putting anything past Lombardi at this point.

Old
07-20-2008, 04:09 AM
JPFT
Los Angeles Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
It's part of the game. I see no reason why Stoll would have anything against Markov for the hit. See Hatcher and Roenick on Philly or Gomez and Avery on the Rangers. When you put on the same uniform the past doesn't matter.
Yeah, I mean, we have Dustin Brown!!!!

JPFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2008, 09:40 AM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
I'm not putting anything past Lombardi at this point.
If that is truly the case, I think you are too critical of Lombardi on this issue and are just bringing it up because you dislike the direction that he has taken the team.

It has been proven to you time after time that the Kings will have no trouble getting to the salary floor yet you continue to sound the alarm on the issue.

Time to get over it.

Old
07-20-2008, 10:39 AM
wabwat

Send a message via AIM to wabwat
http://www.insidesocal.com/kings/

Quote:
There was a report that the Kings might sign defenseman Danny Markov out of Russia. A Kings source said the team talked to Markov but that Markov declined to take a physical in advance and Markov declined. So it seems that unless Markov has a change of heart, he won't be coming to the Kings.

wabwat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2008, 11:15 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
If that is truly the case, I think you are too critical of Lombardi on this issue and are just bringing it up because you dislike the direction that he has taken the team.

It has been proven to you time after time that the Kings will have no trouble getting to the salary floor yet you continue to sound the alarm on the issue.

Time to get over it.
Oh they'll get there, but do I sound the alarm on Lombardi? Yes. They went a scorched-earth policy on rebuilding the Kings, when they really didn't have to. Now they're not getting O'Sullivan signed when they probably should have been the top priority of the off-season, even if it is close. If you want me to change my tune, I need a reason to do it.

Last edited by GKJ: 07-20-2008 at 02:29 PM.
Old
07-20-2008, 11:27 AM
wabwat

Send a message via AIM to wabwat
pretty soon i am going to have to develop a scotched earth policy.

wabwat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2008, 11:42 AM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:

Time to get over it.
How has it been proven? By many King fans opinions on the subject? The facts are the Kings are well below the floor now and it's almost the end of July. Do I need to remind you of the average King fans opinion on almost anything hockey related and how often they are dead wrong? Amazing that a fan of a team that has had so many failed prospects and building plans just assumes that 18 year old Drew Doughty will automatically make the team because there is nobody else available. Amazing.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2008, 12:08 PM
Kingler

Unless the remaining UFAs grow to hate money, the Kings will have no problem reaching cap floor. DL can wait till cap deadline, toss a stupid contract or 2 and easily get over the floor.

However, as teams continue to sign UFAs and RFAs, the overally cap room of the entire league are decreasing. This means that players like Khabibulin and Schneider will demand less and less in a trade as we get closer to September and as teams reach the (NHL or self imposed) cap limits.

So if the Kings really want to dumpster dive, it is to their interest to wait as long as possible and have less team to compete in driving up value of trades.

Kingler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 11:59 AM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingler View Post
Unless the remaining UFAs grow to hate money, the Kings will have no problem reaching cap floor. DL can wait till cap deadline, toss a stupid contract or 2 and easily get over the floor.

However, as teams continue to sign UFAs and RFAs, the overally cap room of the entire league are decreasing. This means that players like Khabibulin and Schneider will demand less and less in a trade as we get closer to September and as teams reach the (NHL or self imposed) cap limits.

So if the Kings really want to dumpster dive, it is to their interest to wait as long as possible and have less team to compete in driving up value of trades.
And if you're Brian Burke do you merely hand over Schneider to the rival Kings or do you hold out and ask for the world knowing full well the Kings may be the 1st team in the cap nhl who have to forfeit games? I know if I'm a GM I ask for as much as possible and if Lombardi doesn't budge then he can stay where he is and get fired. King fans keep saying how easy it is but until Lombardi reaches the floor he deserves to be critiqued. I mean it's not like LA is a small market team. If you're battling to reach the floor while trading guys like Lubo and Cammy and hanging up on free agents who like good weather you deserve to get fired if you don't make it look REAL easy.

Old
07-21-2008, 12:11 PM
Winger23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
Do I need to remind you of the average King fans opinion on almost anything hockey related and how often they are dead wrong?
Your opinion on most opinions means just as much as the opinions of those fans you are referring to. Just sayin.

Winger23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 12:16 PM
massivegoonery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyros View Post
are you forgetting taht Purcell (who gets about 1.5 million with bonuses and boyle( around 800K) aren't counting against the cap yet? on top of that, if Doughty makes the team, which he probably will since we don't even have that many dmen, with HIS bonuses, that gives us atleast 2.5 million. if it's a long term deal with Sully, you can bank on it that he gets ATLEAST 3.5 million.
Yeah but when Doughty, JJ, Purcell, etc. all miss their bonuses, they're going to come right back off the cap at the end of the season and by then it'll be too late to do anything about it. You've got to figure contracts without bonuses if you want to be safe.

massivegoonery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 12:22 PM
Brickwall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
And if you're Brian Burke do you merely hand over Schneider to the rival Kings or do you hold out and ask for the world knowing full well the Kings may be the 1st team in the cap nhl who have to forfeit games? I know if I'm a GM I ask for as much as possible and if Lombardi doesn't budge then he can stay where he is and get fired. King fans keep saying how easy it is but until Lombardi reaches the floor he deserves to be critiqued. I mean it's not like LA is a small market team. If you're battling to reach the floor while trading guys like Lubo and Cammy and hanging up on free agents who like good weather you deserve to get fired if you don't make it look REAL easy.
Reaching a spending floor is much easier than dealing with a spending cap. What is so hard to understand about that? I'm wiling to bet that there are a few players who would sacrifice themselves by accepting a few extra million dollars to help the team and Deano without the Kings having to give up any assets.

What you fail to understand is that Deano is NOT going to give away assets to overpay another teams player and help that team by giving them the cap space they need.

Trading Lubo and Cammy was a move to ensure that we have enough cap space to sign all of the soon to be RFA's and UFA's that we need for our core players. He wants to have the flexibility to do this and sign other players in the future.

When Deano started he said there were 3 options for the team.
1) Win for now - sign and spend every $, trade youth for talent
2) Complete rebuild - get rid of talent, save cap room, youth only
3) Blend - keep some youth, spend $ to be competitive

The first two years he was going for #3. Since that has failed to bring us to the playoffs, or anywhere near it, he has been given permission to go for #2. I don't think that they would have him start this now if they are just going to fire him at the end of the year.

Feel free to criticize Deano all you want.

Brickwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 12:58 PM
Butch 19
King me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingler View Post

hmm, is this the first reference to dumpster diving during the DL era?

The more things change, the more they...

Butch 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 01:20 PM
Bad Will Hunting
It's my fault

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by LimpDave View Post
Well then Stoll is safe from the wrath of Markov. Unless Markov goes Craig Johnson on him in practice

Bad Will Hunting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 01:21 PM
detredWINgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guillemin View Post
Hopefully he's realized that teams will call his bluff and has reduced his ridiculous contract demands of a season ago.
Like Yashin has?

Also, in regards to LA needing to reach the cap floor, keep in mind Doughty's contract plus bonuses are going to need to be fully accounted for..

At any rate, regardless of whether or not LA needs to throw a fat contract Markov's way to reach the cap floor or not, it would be a smart move to lure Markov back to the NHL if only via the greenback train. He'll come back for the money, and even if he is earning 4M, some team will be very interested in him and his pro-rated contract come the trade deadline..If he has a halfway decent season, he's a lock for a 2nd rounder at least..

detredWINgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 01:23 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Oh they'll get there, but do I sound the alarm on Lombardi? Yes. They went a scorched-earth policy on rebuilding the Kings, when they really didn't have to. Now they're not getting O'Sullivan signed when they probably should have been the top priority of the off-season, even if it is close. If you want me to change my tune, I need a reason to do it.
Honestly, I don't care if you change your tune. It doesn't matter what Lombardi does you're like a broken record. I'm changing the station.

Old
07-21-2008, 01:25 PM
Bad Will Hunting
It's my fault

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by detredWINgs View Post

At any rate, regardless of whether or not LA needs to throw a fat contract Markov's way to reach the cap floor or not, it would be a smart move to lure Markov back to the NHL if only via the greenback train. He'll come back for the money, and even if he is earning 4M, some team will be very interested in him and his pro-rated contract come the trade deadline..If he has a halfway decent season, he's a lock for a 2nd rounder at least..
concur

Bad Will Hunting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 02:44 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger23 View Post
Your opinion on most opinions means just as much as the opinions of those fans you are referring to. Just sayin.
Do you own Global Gym?