HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Poll to end all polls

View Poll Results: Do you like Guillaume Latendresse?
Yes 222 74.25%
No 77 25.75%
Voters: 299. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-21-2008, 11:37 AM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
I think people project him incorrectly as Todd Bertuzzi or some big physical power forward, when he likely won't be that. Don't like him because he has the frame for it, but it's okay that he won't play like that. So long as he can be effective in his role, I don't much care how he plays. If he can dig in the corners, protect the puck, and get it in the net on occasion he'll have an NHL role for a long, long time.

Frankly, he can already do the first two and is getting better at the third.

coolguy21415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 11:38 AM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats NAslund View Post
The kid needs some AHL time to hone his hockey sense. He just seems lost on the ice most of the time. I don't think he's too slow for the NHL or that he has no skill I just think he's raw and needs to develop some more at a lower level where he can be dominant. Then come back and play with more confidence. Just my 2 cents....
Hello??

For the third time, if Bob sends Guillaume Latendresse to the minors, he has to clear waivers first. He won't clear waivers. There are 29 GMs who would jump at the chance to get a kids of his ability and salary without giving up any players or picks in return.

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 11:39 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haddock View Post
Don't get me started on Latendresse's extracurricular activities!

Baseball.

And get this, he's having a freakin' kid! I don't think his mind's in the right place either. Appaling.
If things don't change, he'll be playing, dare I say it, pool, which starts with p, which ryhmes with t and stand for trouble.

The hyperbole surrounding this 21 year old makes me think this board is inhabited by out and out lunatics.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 11:44 AM
Mustafa*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
So you think all of our Hab players should live in a bubble. So that they can't interact with the outside world, only sit still and think about hockey?
You mean like HFboards posters?

Mustafa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 11:47 AM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustafa View Post
You mean like HFboards posters?
I have no idea what you could mean by this comment.

*Gets the windex out and cleans off some spots on his glass enclosure*.

07-21-2008, 11:53 AM
Mustafa*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
I have no idea what you could mean by this comment.

*Gets the windex out and cleans off some spots on his glass enclosure*.

Mustafa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 01:19 PM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
Makes me wonder when Lats does become a more then decent player, how many people will jump the bandwagon and claim they knew he could do it, when they were bashing him at 21 years old.

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 01:23 PM
PolishHab21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rogue View Post
Wait a minute...

How can you improve but still be the same? To improve means you are better than before. Did you even think this sentence through?
EX:we will improve his speed but he will still be that same 3rd or 4th liner dude like before.What am saying is that he is becoming better but it dosent show.

PolishHab21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 01:27 PM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
Gui says Hi.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJWwW...eature=related

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 01:43 PM
Drive425

I never understood why there is all this Gui bashing on the site. Yes, he's abit slow on the first couple of strides and yes he's alittle soft sometimes but he's still a kid for Kripes sake. All the bashing would lead me to believe alot of lofty expectations had been on the French kid drafted in the 2nd round as if he was going to be the saviour of the franchise. News flash!!! He's never going to be that saviour!

He's a kid with a good skill set that has some maturing to do...period.

Drive425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 03:06 PM
Judge Sauer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarfangor View Post
The so and so says hi has got to be the most annoying saying on HF nowadays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drive425 View Post
I never understood why there is all this Gui bashing on the site. Yes, he's abit slow on the first couple of strides and yes he's alittle soft sometimes but he's still a kid for Kripes sake. All the bashing would lead me to believe alot of lofty expectations had been on the French kid drafted in the 2nd round as if he was going to be the saviour of the franchise. News flash!!! He's never going to be that saviour!

He's a kid with a good skill set that has some maturing to do...period.
Players that are 21 or younger with regular roster spots:
Sergei Kostitsyn
Milan Lucic
Phil Kessel
Kane
Toews
Gagner
Schremp
Kopitar
Jack Johnson
Radulov
Marc Staal
Brian Lee
Mueller
Hanzal
Jordan Staal
Setoguchi
M-E Vlasic
Perron
Eric Johnson
Stralman
Backstrom

Stastny, Weber, Meszaros and Wolski just turned 22

Granted, some of these players are on a different level than Gui, but can we please stop calling him a kid. I swear, we're the only ones that use that as a factor to rating Gui's playing level. Why does it count for Gui and not for Sergei? Honestly, the guy is 21 and can drink anywhere in the United States and can be tried as an adult in court 3 years ago.
If you look around the league, the only players that are 21 and under are either playing for a weak team or they're just that good that they have to play in the NHL. Gui is in the bottom half of regular roster players in the NHL under 21.
Don't get me wrong (I have to say this every time or the 100 some odd 'yes' voters are going to flame me) I hope he turns into a terriffic player, I think another junior year would have done him well or at least some AHL time before it was too late.
oh yeah, all the Gui praise when he first started bothered me mostly because I didn't see what the praisers were seeing and it was a little overboard.

Last edited by Judge Sauer*: 07-21-2008 at 03:17 PM.
Judge Sauer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 03:18 PM
Haddock

I don't think that everyone who voted that they liked him didn't think that he needed seasoning at another level at some point during his first two seasons. His first was either the Q or the big league, the better choice was with the Habs. Last season was the time to send him to Hamilton, it didn't happen. These circumstances can't be factors on wether or not someone likes him or not today. Time to move on.

I don't get how you can say that the age factor doesn't also affect our judgement of Sergei's performance when everyone is so happy that such a young player is already having an impact on the team. This is HF after all. We use age all the time to explain our evaluation of a player performances and improvement.

Haddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 03:58 PM
Drive425

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd Round Pick View Post

Sergei Kostitsyn
Milan Lucic
Phil Kessel
Kane
Toews
Gagner
Schremp
Kopitar
Jack Johnson
Radulov
Marc Staal
Brian Lee
Mueller
Hanzal
Jordan Staal
Setoguchi
M-E Vlasic
Perron
Eric Johnson
Stralman
Backstrom

Stastny, Weber, Meszaros and Wolski just turned 22

Granted, some of these players are on a different level than Gui, but can we please stop calling him a kid. I swear, we're the only ones that use that as a factor to rating Gui's playing level. Why does it count for Gui and not for Sergei? Honestly, the guy is 21 and can drink anywhere in the United States and can be tried as an adult in court 3 years ago.
If you look around the league, the only players that are 21 and under are either playing for a weak team or they're just that good that they have to play in the NHL. Gui is in the bottom half of regular roster players in the NHL under 21.
Don't get me wrong (I have to say this every time or the 100 some odd 'yes' voters are going to flame me) I hope he turns into a terriffic player, I think another junior year would have done him well or at least some AHL time before it was too late.
oh yeah, all the Gui praise when he first started bothered me mostly because I didn't see what the praisers were seeing and it was a little overboard.
Agreed that there are alot of effective young players in the league. However, I don't think that should incite people to constantly whine and ***** about Gui for his shortcomings. I believe this happens because these complainers had this "french saviour" idea and they realize it's not going to happen.
How dare he not live up to other peoples expectations!

Old
07-21-2008, 05:10 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats NAslund View Post
The kid needs some AHL time to hone his hockey sense. He just seems lost on the ice most of the time. I don't think he's too slow for the NHL or that he has no skill I just think he's raw and needs to develop some more at a lower level where he can be dominant. Then come back and play with more confidence. Just my 2 cents....
1 more time really slowly so everyone can understand......

LATENDRESSE .... CAN.... NOT.... BE..... SENT..... TO..... HAMILTON. HE HAS PLAYED..... 161....NHL... .GAMES HE.... MUST NOW CLEAR..... WAIVERS.... BEFORE..... WE..... CAN SEND.... HIM TO HAMILTON. HE.... WILL NOT CLEAR... WAIVERS.... SOMEONE ELSE.... WILL PICK HIM.... UP BEFORE THAT.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 05:16 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd Round Pick View Post

The point is not how many 21 year olds are in the league... the point is look at how many 1st or 2nd round picks are 21 and not in the league yet.

Also a slick centre type develops faster than a Power Forward.... We've seen that throughout the histroy of players... Look where Bertuzzi, Iginla, Tkachuk, Neely, Leclair, and others were at 21 vs where they were at 25.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 05:21 PM
habsprospects
Irresponsible User

Does the conclusion of this poll decide if Latendresse's bashing threads get closed or not?

Habs Prospects website
habsprospects is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 05:41 PM
Drive425

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post

LATENDRESSE .... CAN.... NOT.... BE..... SENT..... TO..... HAMILTON. HE HAS PLAYED..... 161....NHL... .GAMES HE.... MUST NOW CLEAR..... WAIVERS.... BEFORE..... WE..... CAN SEND.... HIM TO HAMILTON. HE.... WILL NOT CLEAR... WAIVERS.... SOMEONE ELSE.... WILL PICK HIM.... UP BEFORE THAT.
Beaker! Don't shout...it's rude!

Old
07-21-2008, 07:09 PM
m1989

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHabsGo247 View Post
I'm just going to come right out and say it.

I think he is completely useless and a waste of a roster spot on our team.

And, it's just the way I feel.
He's just 21...

Be Cool

m1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 07:27 PM
anarmandaleb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post

So, what are you saying?

anarmandaleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 07:52 PM
BadHabit

Lats is a career 3rd liner in the NHL. His skating is not refined enough, he's too slow in the new NHL and he's just not physical enough either. He has ok skills, but in order to really bring them out you'd have to park him in front of the net on the top line, and that's just a waste of space when you could have someone truly talented on the line instead.

I had great hopes for the guy, I kid you not. I saw many Q games where he was a dominant force on the ice, but sadly that has not translated into his NHL game. People say he is young, but that doesn't change the fact that his progress has been very slow in the 2 seasons he's played with the club. If we see another year of the same Guillaume like I believe we will, that will be the end of his development as far as his skills go.

Do I like the guy? In his proper place, yes. On the 3rd line I think he's a great fit. On the PP unit or the first 2 lines, no I don't. And just for the record, there's nothing wrong with being a 3rd liner. All teams need at least 3 of them.

BadHabit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 07:58 PM
Mats NAslund

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post
Hello??

For the third time, if Bob sends Guillaume Latendresse to the minors, he has to clear waivers first. He won't clear waivers. There are 29 GMs who would jump at the chance to get a kids of his ability and salary without giving up any players or picks in return.
Then I guess I would trade him because unless he proves otherwise this coming year he has no place on the top two lines and is very ineffective on the third or forth.

Mats NAslund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 08:26 PM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
I vote that Beaker gets to infract the next person who suggests sending Lats to the AHL.

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 09:02 PM
Next Best Thing*

In soviet Russia, AHL is sent to Lats.

Next Best Thing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 09:05 PM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Lats scores 30 next season.

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2008, 09:18 PM
Krautso

I still don't understand how potential alone is enough to guarantee you a roster spot. Carey Price had to win the WJC and AHL championship (both with MVPs) to get such treatment. Lats hasn't earned it. Period. Can we send him to the AHL? No. Do I wish we could. YES!

Comparing him to Neely, Iginla, Bertuzzi and the rest is ridiculous. For every one of those players theres 10 slugs full of potential who never see 100 games in the NHL.

On a weak team, who cares if Lats is on the roster. On a contending team he has no place...right now.

Krautso is offline   Reply With Quote